[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
So why doesn't /mu/ ever talk about the superior Beefheart
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /mu/ - Music

Thread replies: 19
Thread images: 3
File: Safe_as_Milk.jpg (80 KB, 300x300) Image search: [Google]
Safe_as_Milk.jpg
80 KB, 300x300
So why doesn't /mu/ ever talk about the superior Beefheart record?
>>
>>59664430
that's not Lick My Decals Off, Baby OR Mirror Man

Safe as Milk really is fucking great though. Electricity and Abba Zabba are gold
>>
>>59664430
I've always enjoyed Strictly Personal more, because it rides the line of pop Beefhesrt and avant garde experimental Beefheart
>>
File: 81cpVFGmRfL._SL1437_.jpg (301 KB, 1437x1437) Image search: [Google]
81cpVFGmRfL._SL1437_.jpg
301 KB, 1437x1437
>>59664430
superior Beefheart record imo, BTFO Bass Mask Replica all day bb
>>
>>59664430
it's like the second most popular and also most accessible of his albums, also why talk about Beefheart some more when there are plenty of other experimental musicians from the same period who did just as interesting things? I mean, people cum over how "experimental" TMR is but completely ignore the crazy shit Zappa was doing (Weasels Ripped my Flesh, Uncle Meat, Lumpy Gravy).

And in regards to SaM, Ry Cooder went on to have a career that is in many ways one of the most exciting and stimulating in roots music, yet no one on /mu/ has done any of the most basic research to see this.

So why do ask such a dumb question OP?
>>
Beefheart never put out a bad record, but there are those I gravitate to more than others. If you like Safe as Milk, you'll also like The Legendary A&M Sessions.
>>
>>59664470
Serious question; would you consider every beefheart record that finely skirted the line between pop and avant-garde his best if there was more than just Strictly Personal?
Or are his extreme leanings what makes the balanced albums that much more enjoyable?
>>
>>59665062
this
>>59665007
also definitely this, Cooder deserves more love
>>
File: MI0001583236[1].jpg (31 KB, 397x400) Image search: [Google]
MI0001583236[1].jpg
31 KB, 397x400
If this was Beefheart's debut album, it would've been praised to the heavens.
>>
>>59665162
Why?
>>
>>59665069
No, but I'm not sure

Me personally, I'm just a sucker for noisy albums with tons of studio trickery like tape manipulation, and off kilter guitar pedals or sound effects
>>
Because it's his plebiest album. Not that it's bad, it's just very accessible for mainstream audiences where as TMR isn't.
>>
Clear Spot finally clicked with me, i thought id hate that album forever
>>
>>59665162
That album is horrible though. Just soulless and lazy and very generic sounding.
>>
>>59665204
Tbh I haven't listened to it. I'll give it a go if it's your favorite though.
>>
>>59665280
Go for it, I mean it's not perfect there's some stuff I don't like on it, little things, but overall I think it's his best just my opinion
>>
I lub it.

But I'm also into a lot of psych rock and this hits me with the whole "blues-inspired lo-fi psych" it puts out.

Last half kinda pisses me off and I think TMR is really overrated. It's like, yeah I get it, but you guys didn't have to purposely suck THAT hard. Could've at least put a bit more effort into it instead of beating his bandmates and just being a crazy douche in general.
>>
>>59665618
That's why I like strictly personal best, it has the lo fi freak folk blues stuff and the electric rock stuff, all mashed together
>>
Trout Mask > Shiny Beast > Safe as Milk > LMDOB > Mirror Man
Thread replies: 19
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.