[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Serious Question on TPTB
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /mu/ - Music

Thread replies: 48
Thread images: 3
File: sticker,375x360[1].png (278 KB, 375x360) Image search: [Google]
sticker,375x360[1].png
278 KB, 375x360
I liked TPTB, but only enough to give it a 8/10 personally. Since I think that I may be missing something, can someone who believes it is a 10/10 project give a detailed reasoning why? Every time I ask this in a DG thread, all the responses I get are that no one will since it isn't a 10/10 album, despite the fact that many people seem like they do.
>>
it's a 5/10
>>
because its Death Grips final album and the hype and muh underground band and muh board culture!!!! !!
>>
>expecting dg fans to elaborate about why they like something

They're just here for fun!!1 Most don't care about the music.
>>
>>54553471
>>54553499
>>54553533
I just want an honest answer though, not more people saying this same thing.
>>
Anyone?
>>
>>54553552
and you will not get it. most death grips fans in this board are cancerous unfortunately. they only know how to spit out memes
>>
File: smugfrog.jpg (7 KB, 249x249) Image search: [Google]
smugfrog.jpg
7 KB, 249x249
>>54553471
Jenny Death and niggas on the moon are both 5/10s
>>
>>54553442
Also feeling a 8 on this. Also hoping someone would elaborate why it's a 10.
>>
>>54553717
5+5=10
>>
File: smugpope.jpg (96 KB, 420x541) Image search: [Google]
smugpope.jpg
96 KB, 420x541
>>54553743
hence the image you clown
>>
>>54553820
I don't see how your image is tied to addition.
>>
>>54553734
Why is it an 8/10?
>>
>>54553442
The people mad about Fantanos review aren't necessarily mad that he didn't give it a 10. They're mad because he's rated albums higher that he obviously doesn't think are better than TPTB.
>>
Everyone posting 10/10 is either trolling or ironically posting. No one here will ever give you a valid reasoning to explain a 10 rating.
>>
because its extremely original, exciting, and energetic.

why do you like your favorite band
>>
Well... that's a shame. I guess making this thread was useless, since the only responses I got were the ones I've got time and time again. I've had people enlighten me on why other albums are or can be called 10/10 but I guess The Powers that Be just isn't one.
>>
>>54553442
I DONT CARE ABOUT REAL LIFEEEEEEE
>>
>>54553961

Sorry OP. I do want to give it a listen but the only DG project I've ever enjoyed was Exmillitary, can't seem to get into the rest.
>>
>>54553442

What the fuck are you talking about?
Just listen to the music and enjoy it you dumbass.
>>
How to come up with a rating
Step 1: think extensively on how other people on the internet will receive your rating
Step 2: don't critically think about the album, or better yet don't listen to it
>>
>>54553682
And they're creating an information overload which in itself is art because that's what Ride's lyrics are about. Do you see how he manipulates us all with his project and then raps about it? The guy's a genius. Also, this is not what memers actually believe.
>>
>>54553938
>original, exciting, and energetic
Couldn't you say this about lots of artists/groups? I mean it is really objective when it comes to how much of these characteristics they portray but are those the requirements for a perfect album?
>>
>>54554011
>you just gotta feel it maan!1

>>>/facebook/
>>
>>54553994
OP here. Same, that and Government Plates.
>>
>>54554011
I'm wondering why many people on /mu/ consider it to be a perfect album.
>>
It's the logical conclusion to their body of work and one needs to consider everything surrounding Death Grips lore before rating it; contextualize the work; they even said they were a conceptual art performance.

They literally couldn't have ended any better than they did. It's a concept album about digital life/death/afterlife, Baudrillardian theoretics, and the demolition of the fourth wall separating them from the Others. Fantano's review was muddled and contrived (similar to the guitars he seemed to complain so much about). I feel like a lot of people, errr, most people don't really "get" Death Grips and measure their commitment to the group and what sort of agency they have in commenting about their motives off of how many times they listened to their discog. You're thinking of this in too much of a lateral progression when everything that they've done thus far on/offline is another divergence. Audio isn't everything here.
>>
>>54554198
>They literally couldn't have ended any better than they did.
They did not end.
>>
>>54554198
well everybody look at this moron
>>
>>54554058
>Couldn't you say this about lots of artists/groups
in my humble opinion, not very many you can say the same thing about on the same level as you can about death grips
>but are those the requirements for a perfect album?
depends on the context, what hypothetical other artist were talking about here

and TBH, i think originality is the most important part of making good music, and death grips have it in droves. If i really got down to it, thats why I like death grips, because of the intense originality.
>>
>>54554198
sucks that you put that they ended in an otherwise intelligent post.
>>
>>54554198
Thank you for finally giving me a proper answer. Does your whole point on their ending not apply now that they said stuff about it not actually happening once Jenny Death came out?
>>
>implying they ever made anything better then TMS and NLDW
>>
>>54554408
ExM.
>>
>>54554306
Fair enough.
>>
it was surprisingly good, like after adjusting expectations for how overinflated the hype was, I found it to be better than expected. so a lot of people were like "omg is it gonna be a 10??" then it came out and "omg it's so good 1000/10!!"
i give it a 5/5 but it isn't perfect.
>>
>>54554353
Technically they did end their career with this record. The way they put it and all th hype building up was definitely intended to be viewed as their final record.
>>
>>54554353
>>54554239
Part of Death Grips' mentality is the suspension of disbelief in an otherwise quantum scenario. Do I believe they're done? No, absolutely not. Is this the self-proclaimed conclusion to their work? Yeah, seems like it judging from the note that was saying that this is their last release. Perhaps more incarnations of Death Grips will exist, spiritually or through the makeup of the group itself. That's the "afterlife" part I'm getting at; DG2.0. You know?

>>54554298
Fuck off.

>>54554397
By "ending" I mean their defined ending as a group. Lyrically and attitude wise, they're all about defining achievement as self-validation. You get it through your own intrinsic actions. It's stupidly presumptuous and insular that people are saying Death Grips hasn't broken up, that it's a joke, blah blah blah. Death Grips is finished. What lies ahead won't be the Death Grips we once knew; a simulacra of Death Grips perhaps.
>>
>>54553442
whats 8/10 mean?
excellent but not perfect?
Astral, but i cant project there?
bilbao but not shiny and twisty enough?
pollacks blue poles is great, but coulda used more blue poles?
tarkovsky's great. but the plot was weird?
what is 8/10?
>>
I really like everything besides Beyond Alive, Centuries of Damn, and Death Grips 2.0. It's not their best out of their discography but I have been listening to it about 2-3 times a day. Better than NOTM and GP imo
>>
>>54553897
Like what?? He gave it a fucking 9 for fucks sake
>>
>>54554700
>Centuries of Damn
But why?
>>
1st half of Jenny Death>>>>>2nd half

Beyond Alive has some actually really awesome parts, like that part toward the end with the like default DAW synth bleeps that just sound badass anyway, but besides a few shining parts there, it's all fucking rock music, nothing I've never heard before except MC Ride over it, it's really pretty boring. I really don't think I can handle sitting all the way through On GP again.
>>
>>54554778
It just makes me want to listen to On GP
>>
>>54554760
they're mad about TPAB getting a ten, and feel like Anthony deliberately avoided giving TPTB a ten because of that. It's incredibly retarded
>>
can someone tell me why beyond alive keeps getting so much hate
>>
>>54554306
arent you such a special snowflake
>>
>>54554700
Just letting you guys know, this guy isn't OP
Thread replies: 48
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.