[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Autechre General
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /mu/ - Music

Thread replies: 70
Thread images: 7
File: Exai.png (12 KB, 300x300) Image search: [Google]
Exai.png
12 KB, 300x300
>The beat reigns unchallenged in the industrial bacchanals of Fleure and Prac-f, in the relentless cyborg assault of Spl9. More calmly, VekoS also presupposed an aesthetic that is purely about rhythm, or, better, anti-rhythm. The program stretches all the way to the jovial pseudo-calypso of T ess xi and the acrobatic tapping of Flep, far away from the glacial mood that is more typical of Autechre. Then, again, existential melancholy emanates from the laconic 1 1 is and the way it drifts towards extinction; and plain neurosis propels, or, better, deters, the progression of the nine-minute Nodezsh, a repetitive piece that in theory should be hypnotic but ends up being more horrific than hypnotic. The chopped, irregular beats are also used to craft the harrowing soundscape of Runrepik and the abstract dissonant chamber music of the ten-minute Cloudline. This album almost undoes the "melodic" current that swept through Oversteps. In fact, it stands as its ideological counterpart. Deco Loc, the user-friendly track that mixes cut-up vocal samples with hip-hop beats, feels out of context. So does the eight-minute Yjy Ux, which could be an upbeat remix of a minimalist concerto by Terry Riley until it decays into a ghastly fever of drones and scrapes, and it keeps decomposing until very little is left of the beat amid whirring echoes.
>On the downside, the ten-minute Irlite is typical of the confusion that keeps Autechre from making coherent statements: too much happens and too little remains. The twelve-minute Bladelores is swept by a quasi-melodic breeze but, again, it doesn't seem to know what to do next, and the beat is surprisingly trivial by their standards. The nine-minute Recks On repeats a banal leitmotiv for a while and then, again, doesn't quite know how to handle it. No matter the redundancy and the sloppiness of the lengthier compositions, the sheer quantity of ventures and probes is enough to create a semiotic jungle for generations of aspiring PhD students.
>>
>>53888853
What is this bullshit
>>
>>53888868
http://www.scaruffi.com/vol6/autechre.html#exa
>>
>irlite
>downside

Discarded
>>
>thinly-veiled scruffy general
>>
scruffy at it again

i rate them 777/777
>>
>>53888921
>being this uneducated

Must be an American, right?
>>
>>53888963
it's the best track
>>
>>53888996
that's not bladelores
>>
>>53889001
he didn't like that either
>>
>>53889009
I know
>>
>>53889019
oh well, he's always got his old Crystal Method albums to enjoy instead
>>
really Scaruffi thinks Incubala and Chiastic Slide are their best albums? dumbass
>>
>>53889371
chiastic slide is really underrated
>>
>>53889386
Oh most definitely, but is far from being their best album. That title belongs to Tri Repetae++ or Oversteps. Although to be honest I rate all Autechre albums 10/10 so I may just be fanboying here.
>>
>>53889432
change Oversteps to Draft7.30 and I'll agree with you
>>
>>53889432
All their albums are stylistically unique and great

I think Exai or Untilted may be their best
>>
>>53889480
Sorry anon, known(1) and Treale satisfy me in ways a woman never could
>>
>>53889760
I find my solace in 6IE.CR and V-PROC personally
>>
>>53889796
Pen Expers and LCC are where it's at
>>
minecraft - coal
>>
Well at least he didn't hate it
>>
>>53889843
Left Blank and Maphive 6.1 is absolutely top stuff too

not a fan of LP5 though
>>
I hope they tour the US again, I really would love to see one of their live sets
>>
>>53889760
You keep telling yourself that.
>>
File: 1395277218756.gif (342 KB, 153x113) Image search: [Google]
1395277218756.gif
342 KB, 153x113
>>53889718
untilted might not be their best but holy fuck the beats on that album are just unreal

>tfw that hard as fuck beat that comes out of nowhere in ipacial section
>>
I've only heard Incunabula and Confield and loved them both. Where do you suggest I go from there?

Is there an Autechre flowchart?
>>
File: autechre guide.png (95 KB, 848x844) Image search: [Google]
autechre guide.png
95 KB, 848x844
>>53890391
>>
File: 1424059675716.png (258 KB, 351x364) Image search: [Google]
1424059675716.png
258 KB, 351x364
Who /LP5/ here?
I can't believe this pleb gave it only 5/10.
>>
>>53890583
EP7 >>>> LP5
>>
Flep is the best track on Exai, followed by bladelores. It's a great album brought down by it's unnecessary length. Probably my third or fourth favorite of theirs.
Best Autechre album is Confield, without a doubt.
>>53890407
>not including the eps or peel sessions
>>
File: 1422375151371.jpg (94 KB, 439x458) Image search: [Google]
1422375151371.jpg
94 KB, 439x458
>>53890407
Lel

Thanks, anon
>>
>>53890618
i have the 4xLP copy and i tend to think that was how it was meant to be consumed, broken up into 4 parts. the tracklist and how the songs work together makes much more sense when you listen to them like that.
>>
>>53889432
No way Tri Repetae is better than Chiastic Slide, anon.

Also, Confield is their best.
>>
>you will never hear 'Intercourse', the colab album of Autechre and Coil (chiastic slide era)
>>
>>53890744
how could you do this to me
>>
>>53890744
http://www.twoism.org/forum/viewtopic.php?p=151796#p151796
>>
>>53890852
what am i looking at here exactly

that BoC was supposedly in contact with them too?
>>
>>53890921
>Yes, BOC and John Balance were working on something at the time of his death, a compilation album of some kind.
>>
>>53890921
yes. During their more acid-stage, Coil wanted to create a series of colabs with electro/techno artists, Autechre and Download (cEvin Key from skinny puppys side project) were the ones that were talked about in interviews. BoC rumors have been floating about for years, but BoC has never mentioned them and Jhonn only mentioned liking them in interviews.

There were also talks about either mixing/producing or collaborating with labradford
>>
>>53890935
interesting but still doesnt mean we're ever going to hear either of them, which is a shame.

hopefully theyre right and theyve been releasing music under different names and one day someone will discover it.
>>
File: 1424875737161.png (555 KB, 437x468) Image search: [Google]
1424875737161.png
555 KB, 437x468
>>53890593
I'm halfway through EP7, pretty good.
bump
>>
>>53891098
just wait till you get to maphive 6.1
>>
I have their entire catalog.

I love Incunabula, Amber, a couple tracks off their EPs, but I almost never tackle the rest of their music. I think I like Quaristice, but for the most part the rest of their music doesn't really stick with me, and to be honest, I don't get why you'd listen to it.
>>
I REALLY hope this track from the Bloc announcement video and their live sets makes it onto their next album.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IuN51P16HHY
>>
File: AntiEP.png (3 KB, 221x221) Image search: [Google]
AntiEP.png
3 KB, 221x221
>listening to post-rave non repetitions

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Anti_EP
>>
>>53891165
sounds rave-y

noice
>>
What a nice thread

>x is clearly best
>y is worst
>z is 5/10
>jej scruffy

how very very nice
>>
>>53891254
And you're contribution was better how?
>>
>>53891275
It's not, i'm just here to clarify the fact.
I would actualy participate if someone had something to discuss or made it out to be more than a few empty single sentenced fanboy comments, and i have, in the past, but there really is no point.
>>
>>53891254
every single autechre thread is someone calling x album their best and y album their worst, its the nature of the beast.

whats great is that no one ever criticizes anyone for their taste, its acceptable to have any opinion of their catalog.
>>
>>53891338
but that's not great lmao
is it like you're literally just 1 week new and need to throw your ratings around and see what comes back? and what is that even for?`?

if Scaruffi can't even pinpoint a single influence down then why would i ever expect /mu/ to do that or even be well versed in production to analyze anything..

pointless threads
>>
>>53891338
alright, let's talk something different then

what's your favorite Gescom track
>>
>>53891459
whoops
>>53891325
>>
So does anyone have any ae vinyl?

Been hanging out to get some but the prices are so high.
>>
>>53891518
i have exai, l-event, and my two most prized possessions, a promo copy of tri repetae and the garbage ep

scored it off this dude at a record fair at my local art museum, said he used to be a DJ back in the day. best record find i've ever had.
>>
>>53891459
>what's the best รค track

yeah, much better lmao
but yeah, admit i've not heard much of gescom.
>>
>>53891455

just leave then?
>>
>>53891547
That promo TR++ would be worth a shitload! good find!

Amber got a repress and it's still over 100 bucks.
>>
>>53891459
this will always be my fav

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TTc9zYFi4Kw
>>
>>53891598
its not the TR++ its this version right here

imagine my excitement when i pulled out a blank record like this and was like "hmm wonder what this is oh my god"

http://www.discogs.com/Autechre-Tri-Repetae/release/1732652
>>
>>53891658
Ah thats dope.

What condition was it in?

Sound good?
>>
>>53891709
yep, for being almost a 20 year old record it sounds great, but i did a pretty extensive deep clean of it before i played it. seems to me like it didnt find that much play time in rotation in the dudes sets lol.

but yeah in regards to amber, its my white whale record. i was hoping theyd reissue it on the 20th anniversary last year, but nope.

hopefully warp gets it in them soon to reissue their whole back catalogue.
>>
>>53891338
Nope I criticize TR/Amber babbys from time to time.

Spreading of which, if your favorite Autechre album is Tri Rep or Amber consider actually paying attention to music, rather than just using it as background noise.
>>
>>53891747
what if both amber and confield are tied for my favorite?

i just love that early 90's warp IDM sound, is that so bad?
>>
>>53891747
Not sure I agree with that, anon.

I love amber. It's no less of a good album because you can enjoy it in the background.

Confield is a better album, but it demands your attention at times.

I think it's fine to like both their immediate/easier albums and their more demanding 'challenging' releases.
>>
>>53891814
Ah you beat me to it!

They are my 2 favourites too. Haha
>>
>>53891565
Tri Repetae is justified because it's the point that started their artistic alienation. Amber still features similarities with Incunabula, not much of their discog sounds like Tri Repetae.

Speaking of which there's a track they did that is featured on an obscure Warp promo compilation, Carni. I suggest you dig it out on soulseek right now. No other track showcases the transition from their Tri Repetae sound to their Chiastic Slide sound as fluidly and perfectly as that specific track.
>>
>>53891814
>>53891835
Amber is just generic (though well done) warpcore ambient techno. All of their other albums are much more unique and interesting, and their composition skills matured a lot in their later works. Even for a massive techno fan though, Incunabula is a great album and miles better than Amber.
>>
>>53891922
Cheers anon.
Searching now.
Thread replies: 70
Thread images: 7

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.