[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Unpopular Opinion
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /mu/ - Music

Thread replies: 71
Thread images: 10
File: CYDYSHRIKQHQSIYBL7RO73O44JIJ6XVP.jpg (275 KB, 1024x1024) Image search: [Google]
CYDYSHRIKQHQSIYBL7RO73O44JIJ6XVP.jpg
275 KB, 1024x1024
It's been a while.

>DGD is one of, if not the, best post-hardcore bands of the 00s and pic-related should be considered seminal in the genre.
>>
Happiness and Downtown Battle Mountain were both better though
>>
File: VanMorrisonAstralWeeks.jpg (135 KB, 500x497) Image search: [Google]
VanMorrisonAstralWeeks.jpg
135 KB, 500x497
>>53848964
It's great.
>>
>>53848989
I respect that argument but I disagree. S/t is their most cohesive and well written/recorded/performed album. Also Kurt Travis is a GOAT.
>>
ege bamyasi is the worst of can's prime

>>53848964
thats not an unpopular opinion, they're like the only worthy band who go on warped tour
>>
love DGD and that album but
>not post-hardcore
>>
>Dubstep is shit, with the exception of one or two skrillex songs
>Coldplay are far better than Radiohead and, especially U2 (who are probably the worst band of all time)
>Blur's only good song is Song 2 and they really are talentless dickheads.
>Oasis is far better than Blur by a long shot and are the only good Britpop band besides Coldplay.
>Mumford and Sons and Imagine Dragons are actually pretty good and should be commended for being some of the few good indie bands who infiltrated the mainstream
>Music definitely has gone somewhat downhill and the shear quantity of music released nowadays means that good music is harder to find
>Trip-hop is shit (Even Burial and Massive Attack)
>Queen, Pink Floyd, and The Beatles were really great bands and are probably the most influential artists of the 60s, 70s, and 80s.
>Nirvana was the second best artist of the 80s and the best artist of the 90s.
>UK Garage music is the best musical genre to be invented in the last 10 years and UK garage bands like the white stripes, the strokes, the libertines, and the arctic monkeys were defining bands of the decade
>I really don't like "Oldschool" or "newschool" rap music, but Gorillaz are the best rap group and one of the most creative and innovative bands of the 2000s
>I don't really like much any music released this decade except by established bands
>Metal is not for kids and is a great genre
>Most indie music like fun. and capital cities is crap for girls
>Electronic music isn't a talentless genre (See: Deadmau5, Disclosure, and Daft Punk) but most people who make it are talentless hacks and it barely counts as music
>most /mu/core is shit
>Daft Punk are actually really good and are deserve to be famous
>I don't think that songs without singing are good
>I think jazz is boring
>I think people who still download or own digital copies of music instead of just using spotify and youtube are stupid. And I think people who still buy physical music are even worse and are hipsters.
>>
>>53849430
then what are they? I cant possibly think of another genre they'd fit into better than post-hardcore
>>
>>53848989
>not their best album dbm2
>>
Has any modern post-hardcore act topped Yank Crime yet? Or at least Relationship of Command
>>
>>53849441
>I think jazz is boring
>I think people who still download or own digital copies of music instead of just using spotify and youtube are stupid. And I think people who still buy physical music are even worse and are hipsters.
You're really good at being wrong
>Queen, Pink Floyd, and The Beatles were really great bands and are probably the most influential artists of the 60s, 70s, and 80s.
The Beatles are good and influential but not the best. Overall, Queen sucks. They made some good stadium rock songs. Neutral about Pink Floyd.

>Overall rap can deemed shitty (debatable)
>Funk is amazing
>Black people have made some of the best music recorded
>Alice Cooper as band and solo is amazing
>Saw this in a thread the other day but Johnny Ramone's guitar style has made one of the biggest impacts in the music industry
>Almost all avant garde music is considered shit at the time, but is idolized in retrospect.
>>
>>53849430
They are 2nd wave post hardcore
>>
>>53849430
B-but they are post hardcore
>>53849174
Sorry should've replied earlier, but while I agree DGD took a lot of steps to capitalize and innovate after DBM, it didn't have the same raw quality to it, it was definitely a little more polished. So on that note it's really a matter of preference, but in terms of lyricism and production/recording quality, Happiness can't be topped. It's so perfectly crafted, and the instrumentation like the drum fills are far more detailed than DGD.

But when I think about it I could easily see DGD as being better than DBM
>>
>>53848964
God tier album. Completely agree.
Kurt Travis > Jonny Craig any day
>>
>>53849864
You make a great argument for Happiness, as you said its all about preference. Something about Will's vocals just turns me off from Happiness.

Thoughts on Acceptance Speech? I thought it was crap at first listen, now I think its one of my favorites. It really highlights the fact that thy can write great fucking tunes.
>>
>>53848964
totally agree, i fucking love DGD, i personally like happiness a bit better, but their s/t is amazing
>>
>>53849928
i was the same way with acceptance speech, i thought it was kinda ok at first, but it really grew on me, It's one of my favorites by them now, interested to see how the new album turns out
>>
>>53848964
i think circa survive's juturna comes before in terms of seminal
>>
File: startpackingyourbags.png (71 KB, 191x226) Image search: [Google]
startpackingyourbags.png
71 KB, 191x226
>>53849441

>>
>>53848964
rap fans are manchildren with unrealistic expectations of women and relationships
>>
>>53848964
meal is actually a serious genre
>>
I really just don't like Swans
>>
Deathstars great but Happiness can never be topped honestly. They pretty much dropped all of the pop-punk overtones that were present on their other albums and made something completely alien to the rest of rise records roster. Funky as fuck too.
>>
No DGD album can beat DBM for me, just cause of the pure feels it gives me. It instantly throws me back to being 15, playing Oblivion and starting to lift. It's really atmospheric, theres almost no filler and the album structure is a cut above the rest of their stuff.
>>
>>53849441
>Mumford and Sons and Imagine Dragons are actually pretty good and should be commended for being some of the few good indie bands who infiltrated the mainstream
>I think people who still download or own digital copies of music instead of just using spotify and youtube are stupid.

Most of your opinions are pretty shit but these are unforgivable, please kill yourself immediately.
>>
>>53850399
Idk man I don't really get any pop-punk overtones on any of their stuff...except maybe on Acceptance Speech, but honestly its not a complaint.

>tfw when you realize theyre getting their old producer back for the new record
>>
>>53850554
>that feel when when
>>
Most /mu/core is ok
Vaporwave is shit
Tyler the creator, Earl, and frank ocean are actually pretty good
Metal is really good (even if it probably isn't a minority opinion)
I think music is subjective
"When did you grow out of metal" is a phase
>>
>>53849441
This is bait, I've seen the exact same shit before.
>>
File: ....jpg (197 KB, 583x1508) Image search: [Google]
....jpg
197 KB, 583x1508
>>53849441
>UK garage bands like the white stripes, the strokes
>>
>>53850566
wow i fucked up. tfw has become so common place for me its merely become a precursor for any emotional statement
>>
The 2010s have been a really boring decade in terms of music and there hasn't been an 9/10 album, let alone a 10/10, released this decade.
>>
>>53850554
Just on the stuff pre Happiness and it was mostly just present on royal ocean. Dude im so glad for that feel though. Acceptance Speech production was so uncomplimentary for such a large band and Kris Crummet does a great job constantly.
>>
>>53850683
For the most part the 2010's have been slow but we probably haven't searched enough. Channel Orange was a 6 - 7/10
>>
File: haha well done!.png (72 KB, 730x730) Image search: [Google]
haha well done!.png
72 KB, 730x730
>>53849441
>>
File: dbm.jpg (2 MB, 1425x1425) Image search: [Google]
dbm.jpg
2 MB, 1425x1425
Dance Gavin Dance is one of my favorite bands and this is easily their best album.
>>
Anything pre-Sgt. Pepper isn't impressive. For the most part, it's mediocre.
>>
>>53848964
I agree with this statement completly
>>
Swans.

Filth>>Cop
>>
>>53850683
Honest question, can a 10/10 album be identified as soon as it comes out? Are lasting impact, longevity, importance as a pioneering sound, legacy, uniqueness, and holding up through countless relistens qualities that are mandatory for an album to be 10/10? Or does lasting cultural importance measure on some different scale? Should an album that isn't great but is quite influential and unique for the time get a higher rating than the exact same album released today?
>>
>>53850889
>this

>>53850703
based on the two tracks theyve put out so far, this next record should be fantastic
>>
>>53850972
2 tracks? did they release another single other then on the run, or are you just talking about the live performances of something new
>>
Happiness is their best album no question
Self Titled is good, the rest forgettable.
Probably the best band on Rise but that's not saying much.
Best thing to come out of this band is Strawberry Girls.
>>
File: noplace600.jpg (170 KB, 600x600) Image search: [Google]
noplace600.jpg
170 KB, 600x600
>>53849928
If you didn't like Happiness listen to this.
I think this album is better than anything DGD has put out. DGD is still good though
My AOTY 2013
>>
>>53850889
This brings another question: Is there any critically acclaimed album between 1960-1999 that would be considered a 10/10 if it were released today?
>>
>>53851011
My bad, Pussy Vultures isn't gonna be on the new LP :(
>>
>>53851057
no problem man, was just curious, pussy vultures is great to though
>>
Spiderland is fucking horrible and incredibly overrated. Why do I keep thinking shit posted on /mu/ will ever be good?
>>
>>53848964
EDM is enjoyable and in fact fun to listen to.
>>
>>53851094
I wouldn't call it horrible but I do thinks its p boring and I dont get why its considered god-tier math rock/post-rock.
>inb4 avant-teens all over this post

>>53851045
I actually was listening to this earlier! I prefer the more straightfoward DGD stuff but this is certainly great.

>>53851070
Slight sidenote: I saw DGD on their Acceptance Speech tour, easily on the best concerts I've ever been to (pic related)
>they closed with Rock Solid
>I cried
>>
>>53851192
fuck dude, i'm so jealous, been wanting to see them for awhile, but they never fucking tour east coast, also if they played people you know at any part in their set list when i see them i will freak the fuck out
>>
>>53851257
Dude that would be sick. People You Know is one of the best on s/t. I saw them at Webster in NYC! I guarantee they'll come around again for the next tour.
>>
>>53851192
Its boring, the narrative style vocals are cringey as fuck, the lyrics are pants on head retarded, and I feel cheated wasting my life listening to this trash.
>>
>>53851284
i know man it's such a good song, I'm in PA so I would want them to come somewhere around here or in NJ
>>
>>53851192
I went to that; The opening band Bleach Blonde is good as fuck too, but Palisades and CTC were awful as hell. Also I met and smoked with Will Swan and the gang, was awesome.
>>
>>53851332
Oh word up where in PA? I'm originally from west NJ on the border. According to setlist.fm they played in Lancaster last tour.

>>53851363
oh word up dude. I didnt catch Bleach Blonde for some reason, when I got there some grindcore band wearing weird face paint was playing...
Palisades were so generic but it was honestly fun live with all that ridiculous dubstep shit.
>>
File: 91rYCjkrGhL._SL1500_.jpg (499 KB, 1500x1500) Image search: [Google]
91rYCjkrGhL._SL1500_.jpg
499 KB, 1500x1500
>>53851453
they're pretty solid and that's really good especially coming off of a shitty label like Rise. they have a sound like 90's emo and blink 182 but modernized and unique in a way where it doesn't feel like a complete ripoff. Check em out, this album is really good.
>>
>>53851453
oh nice man, i'm like right outside of philly in bucks county, i wanted to go to the lancaster show with a friend but it was on a tuesday night and i had class
>>
>U2 are a good band and deserve to be more than the joke they're seen as now
>The Beatles are undeniably good if only for their immense effect on basically every other modern band
>classical music as a whole is immensely overrated
>modernist avant-garde music is more interesting/pleasurable in concept than in actually listening to it
>pop music has a lot of merit and being elitist about it only limits one's own musical experience
>that being said, most "pop indie" (Alt-J, Tame Impala) is pretty much garbage
>Human After All is the best Daft Punk album
>On Avery Island is the best Neutral Milk Hotel album
>these are all opinions and i'm not bothered if you don't agree with them as long as you don't dismiss them, because that's what opinions are
>>
>>53850877
yup.
>>
is dance gavin dance good/ where should i start with them
they have an awful band name but really good album covers
>>
>>53853196
start with Downtown battle mountain. If you like that just continue with their discog. they're first EP has some good stuff on it but it might be a little rough to start with.
>>
>>53853196
I agree with >>53853252, you've gotta start with the Jonny Craig stuff so you can either appreciate him, or appreciate the fact that hes no longer in the band.
>>
>>53848964
Death Star and Happiness will never be topped by any other post-hardcore group because the genre is dead, and they killed it. These albums were the logical conclusion to post-hardcore.
>>
>>53848964
'kill yourself'
>>
>>53849688
nope
>>
>>53853711
damn...
>>
File: 0134.jpg (11 KB, 235x200) Image search: [Google]
0134.jpg
11 KB, 235x200
>>53849441
>>53849788
>>53850290
>>53850430
>>53850592
>>53850609
>>53850786
guys how do you fall for such obvious bait?
>>
>>53848992
Everyone thinks that.
Moondance is better though and also on topic.
>>
Dance Gavin Dance Sucks Ass
>>
>>53849511
>>53849819
>>53849864
what elements of hardcore do DGD possess?
just think about it.
examples of post-hardcore are bands such as quicksand, drive like jehu, jawbreaker, jets to brazil, etc.. they took punk and 80's NY hardcore sounds and evolved them.
where does DGD fit there? DGD are post-metalcore/screamo/easycore/tumblrcore/melodic blah blah blah
Thread replies: 71
Thread images: 10

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.