[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Why is this album is great? What are some other albums like it?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /mu/ - Music

Thread replies: 27
Thread images: 3
File: dj_sprinkles-Midtown_120_Blues.jpg (51 KB, 600x600) Image search: [Google]
dj_sprinkles-Midtown_120_Blues.jpg
51 KB, 600x600
Why is this album is great? What are some other albums like it? I really love Grand Central, especially part 2.
>>
>>53790412
isnt that an mc ride painting
>>
>>53790426
fuck the fuck off with your fucking meme music
>>
>>53790412
Moodymann?

>>53790426
god you kids are annoying
>>
File: LuomoVocalcity.jpg (23 KB, 280x280) Image search: [Google]
LuomoVocalcity.jpg
23 KB, 280x280
get pic related and Where Dancefloors Stand Still, definitely the greatest deep house records imo
also try Theo Parrish, Moodymann, and Fingers Inc.
>>
>>53790491
>>53790501
will check these out.
>>
so good :)
try francis harris / frank & tony!
>>
>>53790412
>Why is this album is great?
It's not. It's not actually bad, but it doesn't make sense at all in 2008. Why is this praised again?
This is type of music you would hear in clothing stores.
Yet I like deep/ambient house, this doesn't touch my soul and/or feet.
>>
File: eef.jpg (16 KB, 213x216) Image search: [Google]
eef.jpg
16 KB, 213x216
>>53790623

>It's not. It's not actually bad, but it doesn't make sense at all in 2008. Why is this praised again?
>This is type of music you would hear in clothing stores.
>Yet I like deep/ambient house, this doesn't touch my soul and/or feet.
>>
>>53790634
go shitpost on bleep if you can't answer my simple question
>>
>>53790658

what's your question again?
>>
check out pender street steppers
>>
>>53790693
>>Why is this praised again?
>>
>>53790700

>>Why is this praised again?

Because it is an album that evokes a lot of nostalgia for people who grew up/listened a lot of old school house. You obviously don't "get" where Thaemlitz is coming from (even though he clearly says it in the album, many times), the most likely reason it "doesn't touch my soul and/or feet." is because the album isn't your typical house music fare that you're used to, which is fair enough, but to say this is the type of stuff you would hear in clothing stores is idiotic lmao

This isn't a "house music album", but a celebration and a retrospective look at Thaemlitz's past. A lot of the cliches of house music are subdued in favor of an ambient atmosphere, and he restrained himself from using a lot of other bleep production techniques (no compression, so it sounds very quiet weird bass phasing tricks etc) so it is impossible to play this in most club settings.

This is an album for people who are either very familiar with the old school house scene, grew up around it, or simply, like house music and aren't so fast to jump into idiotic conclusions ; )

>>53790412

The album is fairly unique, there isn't much that evokes so much nostalgia etc, having said that, check these out OP, some of them are fairly close in the sound

Move D & Benjamin Brunn - Songs From The Beehive
John Roberts - Glass Eights
Christopher Rau - Asper Clouds
Herbert - Bodily Functions
Delano Smith - An Odyssey
Nick Solé - Flowers For You
>>
>>53790799
>album that evokes a lot of nostalgia
but that doesn't make any album good, is it?

>You obviously don't "get" where Thaemlitz is coming from
I get it now, it's nostalgic, DUDE 80s, bla bla bla, aaand why should it change anything?

>This isn't a "house music album", but a celebration and a retrospective look at Thaemlitz's past.
again does it seriously make music itself any better?

>he restrained himself from using a lot of other bleep production techniques (no compression, so it sounds very quiet weird bass phasing tricks etc) so it is impossible to play this in most club settings.
that's what I've heard myself, I guess it also has a sticker that says that it's 'too quiet because of no compression' or smth.

yet you say
>to say this is the type of stuff you would hear in clothing stores is idiotic lmao
and making yourself
>so fast to jump into idiotic conclusions ; )
because my mom works at clothing store and I gave her this album and she plays it several times a month and enjoys it as great background music
>>
>>53790946
>why should it change anything
Because you can't understand what he was trying to communicate with this particular work if you're completely ignorant of house music of the past. I think that's what he's trying to say.
>>
>>53790946

>but that doesn't make any album good, is it?

no, on its own it does not, thankfully the production is great, but you already decided it is not ;)

>I get it now, it's nostalgic, DUDE 80s, bla bla bla, aaand why should it change anything?

In other news, people like different aspects of the music they listen to

>again does it seriously make music itself any better?

nah, I'm just pointing out how ignorant you are

>because my mom works at clothing store and I gave her this album and she plays it several times a month and enjoys it as great background music

So because your mom plays it at her store it means it's a bad album?

listen you aren't here to hear opinions, you already made up your mind about the album, so just keep listening to whatever shit you like, and I'll do the same.
>>
>>53790993
>means it's a bad album?
I never said that, you're just seem to be angry (by calling me an idiot several times) because I don't get the concept of this album and don't think it's great.
I literally said here
>>53790623
>It's not actually bad

>you aren't here to hear opinions
I am.
>you already made up your mind about the album
yet I wanted to know why is this praised and I thank you for 'spoonfeeding' me.
>>
>>53791099

nps man, glad we had this pointless discussion ; )
>>
>>53791157
>pointless
maybe for you, but because of curiosity I obviously would dive into some pre-95 deep house I wasn't into
>>
>>53790946
>This is type of music you would hear in clothing stores.
>This is music I actually gave my mom to play in her clothing store.
you should leave this thread and just go be happy that your mother loves you and doesn't know you're this much of a collosal retard
>>
>>53791219

oh cool, just keep in mind, a lot of that old school house was 12 mins of the same loop repeating over and over (just so a Dj could mix it easily) and a large part of it has aged like bad milk
>>
tfw you patrician suggestion gets slept on
>>
>>53791337
>plastered all over RA
>patrician
zzzzzzzzzz
>>
>>53791346
the thing is i don't even browse RA, like ever
>>
>>53791283
>12 mins of the same loop repeating over and over
that won't be a problem since I'm into some of draggy Villalobos' stuff :^)
>>
>>53790412
So my suggestion falls into the category of 'Deep House' but is nothing like DJ Sprinkles or Moodyman. Check out Motor City Drum Ensemble. The focus is a little 'catchier' but less 'academic' than both.

Also check out Sprinkles other work. There is a lot of it so you will have plenty to listen to. I personally own her 32 hour album on micro sd card.

A lot of deep house is singles oriented so you will hardly find an album as great as Midtown 120 Blues. I think Moodyman Silent Introduction is just as good if not close second to Midtown.
Thread replies: 27
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.