[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Why do spergs get upset when you describe their favorite music
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /mu/ - Music

Thread replies: 42
Thread images: 1
File: 1424323728817.png (232 KB, 446x538) Image search: [Google]
1424323728817.png
232 KB, 446x538
Why do spergs get upset when you describe their favorite music as pop music?

Any music that is recorded for others to enjoy and consume, put in pretty packaging, and put on a shelf at the record store or band's website catalog for u 2 buy is pop music.

Do people think their favorite music ROCKS TOOOO HARRDDD transends the entire idea of pop?
>>
why do people even watch anime
>>
wagner is pop music
>>
shit thread, I'm an aspie, fucking love pop music
>>
>>53721046
>Do people think their favorite music ROCKS TOOOO HARRDDD transends the entire idea of pop?
Yes, they think that(incorrectly), was it worth the thread? Couldn't you think 10 seconds more before you started typing?
>>
>>53721514
Shut up.
>>
>>53721046
>Do people think their favorite music ROCKS TOOOO HARRDDD transends the entire idea of pop?
Yes because then it ceases to meet the criteria you just set as "put in pretty packaging".
>>
>>53721603
>mum I got told
>>
>>53721915
gay
>>
>>53722004
Shut up.
>>
>>53722042
>mum I got told
>>
>>53721046
Practically all /mu/core is at least pop influenced
Hell, most of my favourite artists are pop influenced
>>
>>53723627
All music that is made to be sold is pop music. Everything you listen to is pop music.

It may be apart of a descriptive genre and mostly referred to as that genre when talked about, but it's still pop music.
>>
>>53723744
I was talking about pop-influenced melodies and song structures
But your point is good
>>
>>53723744
Also that doesn't mean that music given away for free is not pop.

To be more clear, when a person constructs music in the album/ep/single format, this is the act of making pop music.

You are making something that's for others to take and consume.
>>
>>53721046
>I can't discern the terms pop and popular, why is everyone else retarded?
>>
>>53724244
Explain yourself.
>>
>>53721086
they can't deal with real life so they rely on this kind of shit to lure themselves into believing their existence is worth something and not the sad shit it is in reality
>>
>>53724293
just like classical/Classical, pop/popular are two different things.
one is specific, the other is meta
>>
>>53724294
What did an anime fan ever do to you?
>>
>>53724294
oh thanks chad
>>
>>53724337
Yes, keep on. And how is this relevant here?
>>
>>53721086
why do people even consume anything
>>
>>53724380
the explanation is concluded
>>
>>53724418
Okay, but you didn't really say anything..
>>
>>53724454
thank you i'm quite proud of my efficiency too
>>
Because the dichotomy implies music can only either be an artistic masterpiece or self-indulgent drivel.

Obviously that's not true, but it still comes off as sending the wrong message. Can you really blame them?
>>
>>53721046
Maybe because they're not actually spergs.
>>
>>53724380
Not him but you're one dense motherfucker. What you described in the OP is "popular" music, like the musicological category. "Pop" music, the genre, has come to stand for something entirely different. It's all splitting hairs anyway; you're like those people who like to quibble over the definition of folk music while failing to realize (again) that "genre" is a separate entity from the popular/folk/religious/art categorization.
>>
>>53724544
there's no popular / art music dichotomy though
it's a trichotomy with traditional/folk music
>>
>>53724556
Define both pop and popular music.
>>
What is your definition of:

>Pop music
>Folk music
>Classical music
>>
>>53724648
>>53724710
>popular music
Any music that is recorded for others to enjoy and consume, put in pretty packaging, and put on a shelf at the record store or band's website catalog for u 2 buy is pop music.

>pop music
Pop music (a term that originally derives from an abbreviation of "popular") is a genre of popular music, which originated in its modern form in the 1950s, deriving from rock and roll.
The terms "popular music" and "pop music" are often used interchangeably, although the former is a description of music which is popular (and can include any style).

As a genre, pop music is extremely eclectic, often borrowing elements from other styles including urban, dance, rock, Latin and country; nonetheless, there are core elements which define pop. Such include generally short to medium-length songs, written in a basic format (often the verse-chorus structure), as well as the common employment of repeated choruses, melodic tunes, and hooks.

>Classical music
Classical music is art music produced or rooted in the traditions of Western music (both liturgical and secular).

>Folk music
Folk music includes both traditional music and the genre that evolved from it during the 20th century folk revival.
>>Traditional folk music
Traditional folk music has been defined in several ways: as music transmitted orally, or as music with unknown composers. It has been contrasted with commercial and classical styles. One meaning often given is that of old songs, with no known composers; another is music that has been transmitted and evolved by a process of oral transmission or performed by custom over a long period of time.
>>
>>53724783
Okay, thank you for actually bringing some discussion to thread.

But isn't "pop" music just a more meta form in popular music? Like, music that is self aware and plays with it's format in an extreme way?

Also, what exactly constitutes art music?
>>
>>53721046
>Any music that is recorded for others to enjoy and consume, put in pretty packaging, and put on a shelf at the record store or band's website catalog for u 2 buy is pop music
>I only listen to music I've grave-robbed from people that died 20000 years ago

>>53724964
>thank you for actually bringing some discussion to thread
Yeah, shitposting threads never have enough good discussion.
>>
>>53725121
>>I only listen to music I've grave-robbed from people that died 20000 years ago

You missed the point. It's more about the stigma that the word "pop" seems to hold. People who seem to think it's a dirty or insulting work to call something.
>>
>>53724964
>But isn't "pop" music just a more meta form in popular music?
It's a subgenre in popular music, on the same level as Rock, Metal, Hip-Hop, Electronic music and (some) Jazz.

>Also, what exactly constitutes art music?
One distinction would be the transmission primarily via musical notation (as opposed to recordings (popular music) or orally (traditional music)). But that's not completely consistent. One way I like to categorize art music is that it comes from studying music, is a study of music and evokes study of music.
>>
>>53724783
From what I remember the definition of popular music is that
>the more important form of distribution is in commercial recordings, not sheet music
>the performer is front and centre instead of the composer
>>
>>53725205
>One distinction would be the transmission primarily via musical notation (as opposed to recordings (popular music) or orally (traditional music)). But that's not completely consistent. One way I like to categorize art music is that it comes from studying music, is a study of music and evokes study of music.

That's what I was thinking. thx
>>
depends on the context of you sayig this, maybe you just have to make more clear what definition of pop music you are using. then most people should understand that it's not something to get upset about, i think.
>>
BUT MUH CONSUMERIST CRITICISM AND EXISTENSIALIST THEMES
>>
Yeah, stop listening to Classical and Pop music. Traditional music is the only way to true enlightenment.
Thread replies: 42
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.