[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
/nbjj/
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /mu/ - Music

Thread replies: 49
Thread images: 2
File: sonny_stitt.jpg (182 KB, 961x634) Image search: [Google]
sonny_stitt.jpg
182 KB, 961x634
Edward Boatner Jr lived the life.
He lived to play music and spent a considerable amount of his time touring, playing & recording.
Do you have a favorite record by this titan?

inb4 he ripped-off Bird
>>
>>53233593
nobody knows him by that name nigga

his early prestige records are really good- Kaliedescope, Stitt/Powell/Johnson...

he had some good ones on verve too. The "For Musicians Only" record with Dizzy and Getz is a favorite

and some of his later records are good too. Especially the Muse records if you can find them. Constellation, 12, The Champ... I think those are the ones I've heard and I know there are a few others
>>
>>53233795
>nobody knows him by that name nigga
i know, i was hoping most people would figure this out by the file name of the pic.
>>
>>53233593
Personal Appearance and Tune Up are two of my favorite Stitt records
>>
>>53233593
>spent a considerable amount of his time touring, playing & recording.
this almost seems to be a thing of the past.. going from town to town, picking up a local rhythm section for a night or two and then moving on
Zoot Sims was another guy who extensively did this ..Lee Konitz is still doing it, but it doesn't seem like many younger guys are doing this
>>
>>53234506
>tfw I missed Lee Konitz when he came to town a couple months ago because I had another gig

now I'll probably never get another chance to see him. It seems like he brought his own rhythm section with him though. I think Dan Tepfer was on piano who would have been cool to see also.
>>
>>53234628
he's playing at Yoshi's in a few days - rhythm section is not the greatest
>>
what has happened to the jazz community on /mu/?

these threads never got a lot of traffic but it has been pathetic the past couple months
>>
>>53235228
try dedicating your life to playing this music
from time to time, there can be an overwhelming sense of defeat that you have to overcome.
>>
>>53235274
I don't really see what this has to do with anything
>>
>>53235228
It's enough for like five posters to stop being active for the threads to slow down dramatically.

Jazz threads were most active when jtg and a couple of posters were constantly sharing stuff. None of that caught on, it seems.
>>
>>53235365
seems like there used to be a lot more jazz noobs in the threads though. sure sometimes they shit up the thread but there were always a few who seemed interested in learning more and expanding there interests. not a bad thing.

and sometimes there'd be some controversy that would lead to actual interesting discussion. those threads were always good.
>>
>>53235434
then there's always some douchebag like this guy >>53235334
>>
>>53233593
is there really any question that Sonny Side Up is the GOAT?
>>
>>53235365
pretty sure jtg just posts as anon more often than with his trip now
>>
>>53235434
Yeah that was what I meant with "none of that caught on". If you spend time in the chart, tapmusic or last.fm threads, it's pretty clear that people just are not interested in exploring jazz/improvised music. Who knows why.

>>53235583
Yeah. The sharing I mentioned was going on way back when.
>>
>>53235693
my guess is short attention spans

I kinda miss that guy who would come in and troll the whole thread about jazz being formless wank that anybody could play and whatnot
>>
Since I'm guessing most of you in this thread are musicians-

if you had to play a different instrument then what you play now what instrument would you pick?

if you don't play an instrument- which one do you think seems like the most fun to play for jazz?

also how did you first start playing jazz
>>
>>53235855
i play the upright bass and while i have no desire to switch my primary instrument, i wish i was a better pianist. also, the drums seem really attractive - being more or less free of pitch seems so cool

jazz was a natural progression for me.
i started out on electric bass, self-taught, playing punk rock. as i progressed on my instrument i became curious about music theory, moved on to metal (lol), to fusion and eventually began playing jazz. it's all about that ride cymbal and swinging bass
>>
>>53235855
I play some drums but I don't really play jazz. I think piano would be the coolest to master from a jazz perspective. It's cool to be able to accompany your own solos and it works better as a solo instrument then guitar
>>
>>53235855
I play piano... I think it'd be really fun to play drums. I can play rock/funk drums pretty well but jazz drums is a whole other world. Then again the market for jazz drummers around here is oversaturated already. Same with saxophonists. I can already play bass passably but trumpet and trombone would both be fun instruments to be able to really make the changes on.
>>
>>53236367
hey jtg
>>
>>53236394
hola
>>
>>53236554
have you listened to the new Jack D record?
i just got it off israbox, but haven't had a chance to listen yet
>>
>in his teenage years he would see big band performances and produce full transcriptions of the bands' songs from memory.

holy shit. wonder whats it like to be a genious
>>
>>53236689
>n his teenage years he would see big band performances and produce full transcriptions of the bands' songs from memory.
lol Sun Ra
sounds like a bunch of hyperbole to me
>>
>>53236600
wtf that wasn't supposed to be released til March. The Vijay Iyer one is on israbox too and that isn't supposed to be out til Feb. 10.

Did they get leaked?
I'm going to have to dl those as ASAP as possible
>>
>>53236792
ECM records are notorious for getting leaked.
i remember Ethan Iverson made a huge deal about that last Billy Hart record getting leaked prior to release.
honestly, i can't agree with Ethan's perspective, based on the fact that i would not have bought the record and nobody i know would have bought the record. my friends and i would have never heard it otherwise.
now, if he's talking about consumers in general, he may have a point, though i'm still not sure that i agree with him completely
>>
>>53236901
huh. I had never heard of any of them getting leaked before. It's interesting since ECM is so careful about having their music removed from YouTube and not using Spotify. I actually know a few artists who are pretty happy to give their recorded music away and are just happy to have people listening to it.
>>
>>53237028
http://dothemath.typepad.com/dtm/2012/03/all-our-reasons.html
>>
>>53237185
I don't know... I don't think he's being unreasonable. I think most of the people who seek out this kind of music know that if they really enjoy the record that they should purchase it or try to see the musicians live if possible.

Also for as strong as that group is that album isn't quite as good as I think it had the potential to be.
>>
>>53237185
also it's interesting that Iverson was allowed to pick out his own piano for the session. I didn't know ECM did that. Also interesting because often I don't like the piano sound on ECM records.
>>
>>53238025
i do agree that this music has to be supported in some way, but i'm not sure how. i do feel that people should at least go out to experience live music

i also agree about the quality of the record - it's kinda meh.. as is the previous one. the chemistry of a group like this doesn't always work out.. or sometimes the studio and inhibit performance.

>>53238131
i think the way Manfred Eischer mikes pianos sometimes makes them sound weird.. like your head is right inside it, or something
>>
>tfw Whiplash is coming to theatres on February 19th
maybe watch it in english since the synch will be shit anyways
>>
>>53238359
Yeah seeing that lineup I expected that record to be better. This one on the other hand... Really really good.

Yeah I think Manny likes to double mic the piano and spread the mix across both channels. Almost like the drumset. But mostly my problem with some of the ECM piano sounds is that they sound so cold and sterile. I've noticed that less and less on their more recent releases though. And it seems that European artists are more likely to have that cold sound.
>>
File: image.jpg (46 KB, 399x400) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
46 KB, 399x400
>>53238526
oh I forgot the picture
>>
>>53238616
man, Billy Hart is a beautiful cat. his son, Lorca is also a pretty good drummer.

so far, i am not really impressed with the new Jack D record, though i've only heard 1 tune in it's entirety
>>
>>53238684
is it pretty out there? with Muhal Richard Abrams and Roscoe Mitchell I'm kind of expecting that
>>
>>53238749
lol yea
not really my thing
>>
>>53238792
Downbeat has good things to say about the Vijay Iyer one

and the Kenny Wheeler one. That's the one I'm looking forward to the most.
>>
>>53238749
to be fair...
i have to say that there is a certain sound of maturity in the playing.. it has a different sound from what i think i would expect from some younger guys
i can't say that i really like it, but i can't dismiss it either

i'll probably check out the vijay iyer record later this weekend.. but i've never found him to be too compelling
>>
>>53238907
I liked his solo album a lot. His trio one was pretty good I thought. His ECM release last year was interesting but not really my thing so I'm interested to see what his return to trio is like.
>>
anyone have any good jazz documentaries they would recommend?
>>
>>53239199
I've just started watching Jazz by Ken Burns

http://www.dailymotion.com/video/x15ks7u_ken-burns-jazz-101-gumbo_shortfilms
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jazz_%28TV_series%29
>>
>>53239391

thanks i'll check these out
>>
>>53239563
No problem.
I was searching for some jazz documentaries myself and found it a few days ago in one of these threads.
>>
>>53239391
>http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jazz_%28TV_series%29
anybody got a direct d/l link for this?
>>
>>53238749
ok.. so i listened to the whole thing
though i am not really into this style of playing, i do think it's a good record and i hope jack's real fans like it.
pretty interesting to hear him put out something like this at this point in his career.
>>
>>53239792
Jack played on some pretty good free albums back in the day. I always appreciate those guys who can go back and forth between those worlds.
Thread replies: 49
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.