[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
/prod/
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /mu/ - Music

Thread replies: 236
Thread images: 12
File: Untitled.jpg (433 KB, 1920x1042) Image search: [Google]
Untitled.jpg
433 KB, 1920x1042
Music Production thread: Sunday Jam edition

Ask questions, share tips, post work in progress, remember to use clyp.it
>>
should I use FL Studio & start making music right now, or should I spend a few weeks learning a different DAW like Reason or Ableton?

I'll mostly be making Deep House
>>
>>52603395
you can make music using anything, if you know how to use the piano roll
>>
Did anybody notice how the last thread lasted around 40 hours and there wasn't any shitposting? Incredible guys, keep it up.
>>
>>52603395

try the demos and see which one fits your workflow

they all do the same things more or less. FLoops is easier to lay down beats fast, Ableton has superior clip manipulation.
>>
File: iosynthmeet1.png (996 KB, 611x613) Image search: [Google]
iosynthmeet1.png
996 KB, 611x613
several new modules on the way. anyone else get some new modular over the holidays?

also played with a volca sample last night. sounded cool, not sure im into loading the sample in via a smartphone and headphone jack, though...
>>
https://soundcloud.com/lee-moon-4/b2-1

Still a work in progress, made it with ableton and asio. I really don't know much about music production yet and have only a midi keyboard to work with. Tips and suggestions are very welcome.
>>
>>52603530

I'm jelly

>>52603621

>made it with ableton and asio
>asio

wat?

The track itself is bretty gud for a beginners. Keep working on it
>>
>>52603530
I might order a ring mod or a VCA, waiting for my tape machine to come first.

What did you get?
>>
>>52603711

http://animodule.bigcartel.com/product/anvilope
http://www.doepfer.de/a145.htm

nothing hyper fancy, trying to build another synth voice is all. got a Moskwa sequencer over the summer and really love that.

what VCA and ringmod?
>>
>>52603701
He probably just means that's what he chose as audio driver.
>>
>>52603815
Dotcom, it works well with my existing setup
>>
>>52603821
Yes. I still have to buy a soundcard so I can ditch the onboard one.
>>
>>52603946
the shop i work at is going to carry 5U soon and im def getting into it. Anomodule makes 5U clones of his Euro stuff.
>>
>>52604002
nice, what shop? And what 5U brands?
>>
>inb4 pleb
What's the best way to mix bass synth and kick drum so their frequencies don't clash with each other, but you still have a full and rich sounding lower end?
>>
>>52604055
With a mixer. I recommend kitchen aid brand. A lot of people tell you you don't need hardware mixers or blenders these days, they're full of shit. I can't tell you how many countless times I've needed a good mixer or two. I mean, how do you even make dough in a DAW anyways?
>>
>>52604055
subtle sidechain comp, eq sub out of either the bass or the kick which ever is the focus IMO

>>52604047
www.io-mt.com / cant reveal any of the mfrs, but stoked
>>
I want to make music but I can't sing, what do I do? Whistle?
>>
>>52604116
That's odd, I can only think of a small handful of 5u companies. Also odd that I've never heard of io-mt, where are you based out of?
>>
How do I into modular synthesis? Like which input and output goes where etc
>>
>>52604271
http://www.soundonsound.com/sos/allsynthsecrets.html

Start from the bottom and work your way up. You'll get an idea what each module does eventually.

Also, Google is your friend.
>>
>>52604168
ya, not as many as Euro. theres no big secrets, just cant list any vendors until we actually have their modules for sale...until then, its obv all tentative.

Oakland, CA

>>52604408
go to amazon and buy "The Synthesizer: A Comprehensive Guide to Understanding, Programming, Playing, and Recording the Ultimate Electronic Music Instrument"
>>
File: yigt78t79t97tgg.png (8 KB, 500x450) Image search: [Google]
yigt78t79t97tgg.png
8 KB, 500x450
How do I make my instruments sound more real? As in, when I'm playing electric guitar, the clean feed and bits I play with light reverb sound fresh and clear, like you're actually there, listening to it in person. When I whack on some distortion, it sounds cheap and shitty, it feels like a "recording", rather than "as live".

I dunno if this makes any sense but I'm struggling to phrase it right.
>>
>>52604646
Correction: I mean when the instruments are recorded. Obviously they sound "real" when played live duh.
>>
>>52604666
you should read up on what your particular distortion is doing to your signal
>>
>>52604646
i'm assuming since this is /prod/ that you are applying effects with the plug-ins from the DAW. i'm sure there's a way to make that sound good, but it'd be better if you just got a tube amp and some pedals and a nice microphone.

you can do some cool things with plug-ins on a guitar (hammock does crazy shit to their guitars with reverb, things that people like strymon and neunaber are only now just getting even in the range of with stompboxes) but distortion and overdrive just sound unnatural. like a huge line 6 pile of shit.
>>
>>52604646
What is your signal chain? Is it guitar>pedals>amp(distortion)>mic>interface
>>
File: image.jpg (141 KB, 1200x600) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
141 KB, 1200x600
>>52604832
Don't knock line 6 mang, they actually have decent stuff. You just have to avoid budget/beginner stuff, just like every other manufacturer.
>>
>>52604904
i still have an echo park that i use because i actually prefer the tracking of their swell mode to strymon's. but i really don't dig their distortions, overdrives, their amplifiers, and general business philosophy. i'm sure they're responsible for getting a lot of kids into guitar... i guess that's good.

and i heard chimp spanner does the majority of his albums with a POD.

i'm trying to say something nice about them.
>>
>>52604833
Yep, simple set up. Is there a better way?
>>
>>52604832
Ah no shit, I thought this was for anyone making music and needing advice, shit, sorry if this is the wrong thread to ask in.

I've basically got a guitar > pedal > amp > mic > interface setup. Not using plugins.
>>
>>52603530
do I know you? do you live in Aus?
>>
>>52605046
It sounds like you did a good job, what muc are you using?
>>
>>52605077
You're in the right place man, no worries
>>
Do you guys use analog synths to record a whole segment or just midi and splice? I've always been recording everything by segments on my roland gaia and i have to worry about exact timing and attack/release.
>>
>>52605077
what distortion pedal is it? what mic? where do you have the mic placed on the amp?
>>
I want to send demos around
most of the labels I like have a "currently not accepting demos"
wat do
>>
>>52605150
I've got bad news for you: Gaia isn't analog, or even really virtual analog. It's a sample-based synthesizer.

>>52605158
Find different labels or self-release. Make a name for yourself and you're going to get noticed, even though by then you might not need a label.
>>
>>52605229
yea i know, its an analog emulator but it does cover a wide range for what I'm doing.
>>
>>52605229

>Make a name for yourself

sorry for the retardeness but how does one approach this? this is what I'm thinking

>write blogs that review the music I make
>have a website/soundcloud/bandcamp
>befriend other producers
>try to get gigs (lel)

what am I missing?
>>
>>52605319
You're missing

>give away free music people are interested in

but there's no easy answer, to be honest. You just have to keep doing your thing and getting your work out there in communities and sites and hope that eventually you gather enough following for a label to find you profitable.
>>
>>52605117
Blue Yeti II or something I think. Not the spherical one, the actual mic on a stand model. Not the best in the world by far but the best I've got to work with, and it works okay for what I'm doing.

>>52605156
Mic is as above. Distortion, I'm using both Voodoo Lab Sparkle Drive Mod or Boss Mega Distortion MD-2. The Sparkle Drive sounds alright recorded actually, but the Mega Distortion just sounds fake as fuck when switched on, like a low quality sample of it's true potential.
>>
>>52605948
where do you usually place the mic when you are recording?
>>
>>52606254
In front of the amp, not directly in front of it, but a little distance away.
>>
What is the best usb microphone that 90$ can buy? What should I look for when shopping?
>>
This is what I was able to put together after 2 hours of tinkering around in FL Studio. How terrible does it sound?

https://soundcloud.com/alacorv0/synth-lame-kick-hats-still-learning

https://soundcloud.com/alacorv0/attempt-at-opening-synth

Im thinking about just making mixes. I just want to be involved with music somehow. Whether it be making house tracks, or making club type mixes.
>>
>>52606371
have you tried all the different pattern settings on the mic? if i'm looking at the right mic it has 4 different pattern settings.

>have you tried turning it on and back off again
>>
>>52606581
it sounds like you need to actually work on learning instead of searching for approval
of course you're not going to do anything worthwhile right now, there's no point in showing us
>>
File: 1346348772573.png (471 KB, 498x636) Image search: [Google]
1346348772573.png
471 KB, 498x636
>>52606733
well sorry anon :(
>>
>>52606581
lol'd at the defeault sytrus preset
protip: in the first year of your learning of music production don't upload anything to the internet
>>
https://soundcloud.com/fiberman18/bumpin

This is my most polished work so far after having an Akai MPK mini mk2 and fucking around on Ableton for a couple of months. What do you guys think?
>>
Any of you guys collect your own field recordings or work making sound for computer games and film?

I'm sick of working my job and I'm thinking of trying to get into film and game sound design as I'd love to work in something I enjoy, making soundscapes and using field recording.

Anyone that can give me advice here I'd really appreciate it.

Thanks
>>
I want to create music but I am too retarded for fl studio and I can't afford a mac, what to do? I mainly want something that can distort sound and add effects.
>>
>>52603530
I've been working my way through the sound on sound synth secret articles to try and understand how synthesis works, it's really interesting, but can you or anyone else post up some sounds or music that is made using these euro rack synths. I often see huge walls of these things in studio pictures and always wonder why on earth you'd want so many modules...there's obviously a reason for this which I don't understand?
I always assume that once you get past a few lfo's filters, modulators ect you can't really do much else with the sound! I know I'm obviously wrong about this but can someone pls explain.
>>
>>52607135
Buy some distortion pedals and other effects pedals or a old effects rack like a zoom
>>
>>52607135
>I want to create music but I am too retarded for fl studio
Then you shouldn't create music.
>>
>>52607532

pretty sure the pads on this song were made with an euro rack

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TIKktsl0deY
>>
>>52607562
If you want to expand on that then buy a cheap recorder like a zoom h2n or a cassette player, a 4 track unit digital or cassette secondhand, a small mixer.
For sounds to play distort either buy some cheap shitty keyboards or guitars, or record homemade sounds onto your recorder or tape player and play them back.
If your to retarded to use a daw then get a free sample editor and you can cut and paste all your sounds into that and use that as a sequencer...sort of
>>
>>52605083
Oakland, CA
>>
>>52607640
Ok so can you explain how those pads are any different/more complex than pads you'd get out of a half decent synth? I'm not hearing it.
>>
>>52607532
Take a look at a manufactuer who makes complete systems, like doepfer or synthesizers.com, they will have a page that describes the purpose of every module they have.

You'll find that there's more than just plain VCOs, that there are different types of them, like saw core, triangle core, or wavetable and FM oscillators. Or that there are many different types of filters. There's different types of sequencers, some sequencers dedicated to triggers even. There's a vast wealth of utility modules for inverting, attenuating, mixing, rectifying and doing whatever else to a voltage. There's all sorts of controller modules that may detect proximity, light, pressure, or just may be a plain joystick. Even VCAs go beyond just one type, they can have a linear or exponential response (exponential is useful for audio because that's how we perceive volume). There's different ways to go about building many modules as well, using different ways to amplify or shape a signal (transistors, diodes, and tubes), and some may have a higher build quality or more features than others.

We can't hold your hand through everything though, if you're truly interested, you need to do a lot of your own research.
>>
>>52607805
If your purpose is to compare a modular synth to existing synths, I don't think you're getting it.
>>
>>52607805
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8OqybUYmBeo
>>
>>52607861
Obviously not that why I was asking if somebody could explain to me. I'm not trying to compare the sounds but anons answer to my question was to post a piece of music so I could hardly help but listen to it.
Ok so what would the benefits of building a module be over just having a ready built synth, I'm guessing it's nothing to do with the sound then?
>>
File: IMG_590844979544357.jpg (26 KB, 480x480) Image search: [Google]
IMG_590844979544357.jpg
26 KB, 480x480
Soundcloud.com/artsic
Strange stuff. Would love feedback
>>
>>52608361

>building a module be over just having a ready built synth, I'm guessing it's nothing to do with the sound then?

Partially correct, modulars do offer a lot more flexibility than a 'normal' synth. Also, since most synths are good for one thing but not so good for others (ie basslines vs airy pads) having a modular and knowing how to work it could be better than buying a few diff synts to fulfill your needs
>>
>>52607894
This is great, just what I was hoping someone might post. thank you
>>
>>52608509
Thanks I think I understand a bit better now.

>>52607894
How much money would a set up like he's using set you back?
>>
>>52608714
let me add it up...
>>
>>52603530
On the volca can you play the sample in different pitches with a keyboard? I haven't seen any mention of that, but it's the main feature I'm looking for in a sampler.
>>
Here is my first attempt at writing a full song:
http://a.pomf.se/fynwco.ogg

How can I get the bridge to lead back into the chorus without the chorus sounding really underpowered? How can I end the bridge well? Any other tips appreciated.
>>
I really want to make droney stuff like Tim Hecker. Currently using FL Studio and Massive. I've made some nice droney synths but I don't really know what to do besides loop a minor chord while messing around with automation. Also, I have a midi keyboard (Axiom 25 or something) but I don't know how to get it set up so the drum pads do drums, keys play synth etc. Right now every single pad and key just plays the currently selected sound.
>>
>>52604904
The Pod HD stuff is very powerful if you have the right mindset. I can get the weirdest shit out of those things. I think they're unfairly overlooked. I don't think it makes sense to treat it as a replacement for amps, etc. but take it for what it is and it's extremely useful.
>>
>>52608897
The world doesn't need another bedroom drone project.
Learn the accordion or something dude.
>>
>>52608860
nope! you cant do that. although they did released the SDK for it

>>52608714
over $3k. heres his rack: https://www.modulargrid.net/e/racks/view/145411

im not sure what the Intellijel on the top left or the Pittsburge in the bottom row is, though
>>
>>52608860
It's got a midi in so if you connect it to a controller I'm guessing it should do, but saying that it's pretty cheap so I don't know for sure about that feature as I don't have a controller in my setup at the moment.
>>
>>52608952
Are there any samplers that do what I'm talking about? There's a Roland W30 at my thrift store, but I'd rather not have another full keyboarded instrument. Want something small.
>>
/prod/, how the fuck do you FM? I understand how it works but how the fuck do you get good sounds with it? Every time I open up Sytrus I just fuck around and end up with ear rape.
>>
>>52609002
MPC
>>
>>52608927
I've got to start somewhere. Drone isn't what I want to release, I just want to learn how I can make it.
>>
>>52607894
Holy fuck! If I ever lose my job I'm buying something like this and will sit at home all day fucking around with sounds. That sure was a cool journey through some interesting sounds, if that video was another 2 hours long I don't think I'd of even noticed
>>
>>52608966
Don't suppose there's a company that make budget modules is there?
>>
>>52609055

that's the worst "starter" music you can make though, drone production has very little production techniques that can be applied to other genres

also, there's a reason why every shitty soundcloud producer makes "noise/drone".
>>
>>52609066
pro tip: buy this shit WHILE YOU HAVE A JOB
>>
>>52609117
Oops was supposed to reply to this post
>>52608952
>>
>>52609141

w/p how do I get signed with Opal Tapes? I wanna be rich
>>
File: 1397425901759.jpg (57 KB, 386x371) Image search: [Google]
1397425901759.jpg
57 KB, 386x371
>tfw spent all day producing and haven't made anything good
>tfw it's 10pm and I've closed Ableton but don't feel like doing anything else and feel guilty for not producing and trying to make music
>tfw things I used to like doing are now boring and unfulfilling
>tfw all I want in life is to make music I'm proud of and live off it
>>
Can't stand modulars myself. Coil was probably the only act that put one to good use. Even the older German stuff: it's just pure wank imo.

Remember: Miller's best music was made on a single budget Korg keyboard.
>>
File: sc_b0000ws0sc-04mic_lg.jpg (53 KB, 800x442) Image search: [Google]
sc_b0000ws0sc-04mic_lg.jpg
53 KB, 800x442
I was playing with this at the store, and I gotta say, its not that fun
>>
>>52609189
then dont release on opal tapes

>>52609178
yes, Pittsburgh Modular + Doepfer are inexpensive and great to start with. get a cheap case (Tip Top Happy Endings of Synthrotek Cheeks of Power)
>>
>>52609210
Good, you dodged a bullet. It's a memesynth.
>>
>>52606688
I've been using the Cardioid mode, as it seemed most appropriate.May try stereo mode actually, could work.
>>
>>52609002
The W30 isn't bad at all

>>52609039
Experiment and back off the modulator levels

>>52609132
>also, there's a reason why every shitty soundcloud producer makes "noise/drone".
I don't think that really reflects on the value of the genres themselves. All that means is that they're trivial to do badly. That doesn't mean there's nothing of interest, that they're not worth exploring or that they can't be done well.
>>
>>52607135
check out audiotool,it's easy as shit and you don't need to dl anything but samples
>>
>>52609208
Good for you, nobody is forcing you to like certain things. Though it is a bit of a shame to hate something without trying it.
>>
>>52609189
>I wanna be rich
Consider a different career.
>>
>>52609141
Fuck why do I have to work all fucking day. I need a job making fruity sounds

>>52609002
Also any of the old emu samplers I have a esi-32 cheap as fuck now, I've seen them go on ebay for around £45 recently, compared to the £1500 I paid for mine when it came out
>>
File: 1417675141179.png (321 KB, 518x452) Image search: [Google]
1417675141179.png
321 KB, 518x452
https://soundcloud.com/freecvndy

I've been mixing for about 7 months. how can I improve them? Also best way for a dj to transition into production?
>>
>>52609228

ok I wanna be poor

do they take demos?
>>
>>52609333
i dont know, ill just tell you that he reached out to me personally. not sure how he runs his label tbh
>>
>>52609236
I'm sure sound design on it can be intricate, but I couldn't figure it out so I just had fun with little tweaks
>>
>>52609349

thanks, thats good info
>>
>>52609208
they're just synth modules that you can connect together however you want. what makes it worse or different from any other synths?
>>
>>52609208
>it's just pure wank imo.
I don't think modulars are really a great interface, or anything to lust over as the ultimate means of electronic music production. But failing to appreciate the music is really just your problem.
>>
>>52609289

I was referring more to the kids in /mu/ who are too lazy to learn how to mix, program drums, equing, synthesis etc always end up doing shitty "drone" aka hold a note and see how many freeware VST effects I can cram on the channel before my pirated copy of FLoops crashes. I've yet to hear a decent drone producer in a soundcloud thread

There is nothing wrong with the genre itself, but starting out with drone is pants on heads retarded. I cannot think of anything useful you might learn by doing drone that you could apply to more "normal" music. Is the literal meaning of "wanking"

What a lot of people fail to realize is that by looking at the careers of producers who dabbled into "experimental" stuff is that they did not do so until late on their careers and after they were amazing producers
>>
>>52609379
Human beings are like gas. We expand to fit the containers we're given. 9/10 times somebody on a modular is going to be making sequenced atonal garbage with various jarring timbres. The last 10% of people are just doing some Walter Carlos shite.
>>
>>52609403
>But failing to appreciate the music is really just your problem.
Not that anon, but that's hardly true. It'd be like accusing someone who doesn't like masturbatory guitar shredding that they're just "not appreciating it."

When I think of music labeled as "modular synth music" I just think of boring and directionless shit.
>>
>>52609208
Who is miller and why would I care?
>>
>>52609192
Same here. There's nothing I'd rather do besides making music, but then I got to go to work and I'm too tired to make music afterwards. I have to wait until the next weekend to pick up where I left off.
>>
Rate my friend's mod. synth project

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rV3CWRHvTsE
>>
>>52609535
137% of statistics are made up on the spot

But we could already tell that you're just being jaded
>>
>>52609557
Miller is the guy in the modular video people were talking about a few posts up. He's also the founder of Mute records, the guy behind The Normal, a collaborator with William Bennett and JG Thirlwell, etc.
>>
>>52609615
or I just don't like the music people usually make on modulars. Let it go bruv.
>>
I need help making verses and bridges.

I never have issues making drops, but verses and bridges are always so hard for me I usually give up. I try to find cool acapellas I can loop a sentence of, but never come across anything good, I try to make a melody but it always ends up sounding too different to the drop, and sometimes finding the right sound or synth is a nightmare too.

Please help.
>>
>>52609535
>9/10 times somebody on a modular is going to be making sequenced atonal garbage with various jarring timbres.
I would be doing that to if I had a whole bunch of shit being modulated and tonality didn't matter anymore. but its not hard to use a modular synth musically
>>
>>52609633
Oh, that guy who started a masterclass about synthesis with 15 minutes of talking about himself. Good to know.
>>
>>52609524

you dont know those shitty experimental kids arent good at other types of music too
>>
>>52609677
>but its not hard to use a modular synth musically
No kidding. My complaint is that people don't.
>>
>>52609658
Well when you generalize that bad, it's hard to not make fun of you.
>>
>>52609524
>I was referring more to the kids in /mu/ who are too lazy to learn how to mix, program drums, equing, synthesis etc always end up doing shitty "drone" aka hold a note and see how many freeware VST effects I can cram on the channel before my pirated copy of FLoops crashes.
The thing is, that's not an invalid way to work and experiment either, if you have the right mindset. You can get a lot of valuable insight from doing that sort of thing. That's exactly the sort of thing that Brian Eno did, for example. I think it's dangerous to view things as having a strictly traditional hierarchy of composition -> sound design. There's a lot that you can learn by breaking that down and exploring alternatives.

Whether or not people get anything worthwhile out of it is a different matter. Someone who started two months ago would similarly be making really boring shitty EDM or indie garbage anyway.
>>
>>52609545
>When I think of music labeled as "modular synth music" I just think of boring and directionless shit.
That still has far more to do with you than the actual music.
>>
>>52609692

navigating their soundcloud gives me a pretty good idea of how they approach their "music" though. Sure, a single song might not tell you much about a producer's talent, nut 5 or 6, you sure as hell can tell

there is a reason why in any soundcloud thread the majority is "chillbeats" aka FlyLo ripoffs and "drone/noise" aka I'm too lazy to learn proper sound production.
>>
>>52609688
he's kinda important tho
>>
Sometimes I feel like I'm the only guy here who produces rock music by recording stuff with microphones. i integrate all kinds of electronic stuff, but it's all about the songs for me.
>>
>>52609228
Thanks, would I be right in thinking modules would be a great way to learn how synthesis works as if you were poor you'd basically just own say a sine generator for months then add a filter etc so it'd give you plenty of time to learn what you have inside out?
What starter modules would you recommend?
>>
Any Reaper users here? I'm an (intermediate) Ableton Live 9 user and I'd like to ask a few questions.
>>
>>52609722
I can guarantee you Brian the Eno was relentless self-editor though. He didn't just release pieces centered around one halfway-interesting idea that he chanced upon.

Good music is almost always hard work, regardless of whether it is experimental or traditional.
>>
>>52609749
Not really. I mean sure, if you want to go the "well that's just your opinion!" route then yeah I guess that's the end of it, but then why have this board at all if you want to just curtail all conversation at that?
It doesn't even seem like it's a rare opinion or anything. Just consider for a second that maybe there is legitimate criticism to be raised and that blaming the listener is silly.
>>
>>52609800
Good for you, faggot.
>>
>>52609839
Thanks. Anybody know the feel?
>>
I think the reason there's this misconception about modular music is because of all of the modular synth videos on YouTube. People who use modulars aren't always making dedicated modular synth music. You can use them to process external sounds, or as a beefed up monosynth. Maybe as a sequence synced to a drum machine. But it's still not the entire goddamn track like you find in this generalized "modular music" people keep talkin about.

I mean people still use analog monos, right? Same damn principle.
>>
>>52609812
So the problem, then, is the taste and quality control part rather than the "use all the effects and make noise/drone" part. Just like all other music.
>>
>>52609800
Mate, I'm about to buy my first mic and preamp, and I feel like I'm mostly gonna be recording vocals like those of itaots and pablo honey and guitar (both acoustic and electric with an amp). Maybe a tinsy bit of tenor voice.

I've done quite a bit of research and comparisons; do you think an SM57 and a M-Audio M-Track interface (the 75$ one) are good picks? Would you recommend them? Opinions from other anons are welcome too.
>>
Serious question.

What is the general consensus on Garageband 10? Why is Garageband so frowned upon? I'm a Reaperfag but I am curious cause GB doesn't seem that terrible, at least anymore.
>>
>>52609802
If you're poor, do not start with a modular. It just doesn't make sense. There are plenty of good analog monos (and even polys) that you can get for the price of like two modules. Modular only makes sense when you finally feel held back by the hardware you already own.
>>
GUYS

I'm a bassist looking for >my first hardware synth to use in my experimental rock band as an alternate sound/extra layers in the studio.

Should I get a Novation Bass Station 2, a DSI Mopho, or save up for the Moog Sub 37?
>>
>>52609802
if you want to get into modular, bit the bullet and just buy some modules.

i would recommend a basic synth voice starting with these modules:

Doepfer A110 VCO
Doepfer A140 EG
Doepfer A130 VCA
Dopefer A120 Filter
Doepfer A145 LFO
>>
>>52609905
100% do not agree, its a completely different way of working with synthesis.
>>
>>52609836
The thing is, there's more to music than tonality. I get the impression that you're failing to appreciate broad areas of artistically fertile territory. Yeah, most people with modular gear are hacks. Most people with guitars are hacks too. Morton Subotnick is still great. If you don't like it, it means that you're sticking to a very traditional (and IMO outdated) definition of musicality. That's not Subotnick's fault.
>>
>>52609945
Just like driving a porsche is a completely different experience.
Doesn't mean it should be your first car.
>>
Sorry, generic newbie question. Totally new to making electronic music, thought I'd have a play with software before I be dumb and buy hardware. FLStudio worth playing around with?
>>
>>52609904
How long have you used Reaper? I'm >>52609811 and have you ever used (even if pirated like me) Ableton?
>>
>>52609909
Definitely not the mopho
>>
>>52609904
I used in once, and couldn't figure out how to write midi for 30 mins, then only used the piano plugin it had. I don't think it can import vsts, if it can , then it's just like any other DAW
>>
>>52609983
I've never used Ableton. I've been using Reaper for like 2 years or so.
>>
>>52609863
I think the problem is partly that there aren't enough diverse and interesting demos of modular stuff out there, because it's fairly exotic. If you look at videos of people playing guitar and find that many of them are shred wanking or sloppy generic blues riffing, you still don't get the impression that all guitar music sounds like that. I think there's not enough knowledge out there of what modular synths are good for; people find something shitty and assume that represents all of it.
>>
>>52609970

not for you to decide. too many people dump money into vintage monosynths because someone told them that was "the way" to learn synthesis, simply is not the case

ultimately up to the end user what they want to do
>>
>>52609863
But popular who make music with modular synths don't necessarily make "modular synth music." Key difference. I'd imagine those who use them for non shitty music don't try to make damn sure you know they used a modular.

>>52609954
>I get the impression that you're failing to appreciate broad areas of artistically fertile territory.
Condescension, typical modularfag shit. Regardless, you're right about there being more to music than tonality, which is exactly why "modular" music is awful. Modular musicians always completely ignore the perhaps most important and difficult aspect of music: composition. If you're going to reply that composition is outdated then I just don't know.
>>
>>52609909
moog isn't worth all the $$$

The Bass Station is a good bet
>>
I'm like, the only guy who uses FL
>>
>>52609975
Yes. Most DAWs, if not all, have free demos. Feel free to try them all before picking which one to buy (read: pirate). Unless you're talking about Reaper, I love those guy's business model. Fuck anyone and everything related to paying $400+ for software.
Remember; the best one FOR YOU is the one that works best with how you work; meaning the workflow you feel most comfortable with.
>>
>>52610034
no shit. I'm just giving my 2 cents.
for like 400 bucks you can get a used MS-20 mini or JX-8P.
what would that get you in terms of modules?
>>
>>52609970
>Doesn't mean it should be your first car.
Or more to the point, your only car.
>>
>>52609894
I would go with a SM 58 over the 57 if you plan on recording vocals.

I would also recommend against the M-audio interface but that is just my own opinion.
>>
>>52609905
I'm not poor I was just using that as an example for not buying a whole shit load of modules and getting confused as fuck to what they all do
>>
>>52610039

you and every other "#chillbeatz" producer in every soundcloud thread, snowflake
>>
>>52610063
a really nice Oscillator, an entire synth voice...or just a case. depends on your setup/what you want.
>>
>>52610047
Thanks man, I'll give the demos a try.
>>
I'd recommend you get a condenser mic. The SM57 is a great mic, but it's not appropriate for recording vocals. If you wanna use just 1 mic to cover those few things, I'd recommend a condenser mic. That interface is not great, and I'd recommend you check out the Focusrite ones for that same price range with just a couple mic preamps. Their pre-amps are based.

You can get some condensers in the 100-200 dollar range from guitar center, and I'd recommend checking out the used gear they post on the website so you could get on the higher end there without paying much. I wouldn't recommend going with one of those MXL mics made by guitar center (they are everywhere) so just look into other mics in that price range. I think that should put you in position to do just what you'd like
>>
>>52610037
But have you heard/seen the Sub 37? It looks/sounds great to me, it just has 3 times the price tag the Bass Station 2 does.

>>52609986
what's wrong with the Mopho?
>>
>>52610094
well then go with your heart.
Up until a certain point though, you will get a lot more bang for your buck with normal synths. A lot of them have decent routing options anyway.
but it's your money dude.
>>
>>52610002
I made this track in Ableton, took me like 3 days, first time I made something I'm actually proud of that doesn't sound like shit. I was about to start replicating it in Reaper (got the evaluation copy; love their business model). Would you say Reaper could be suited for this type of music; could it be easily replicated?
https://clyp.it/uxxbj0km

I like how fast Reaper is and think I'd do better in a real, legit version of it, than in a pirated version of Shitton.
>>
>>52610063
Yeah I would advise against the JX8P, I have a fried one sitting in my bedroom
>>
>>52610063
MS20 mini sucks ass tho.
>>
>>52610140
>But have you heard/seen the Sub 37?
Yeah, it sounds like a Moog.
I don't know, I'm not really into them.
The minimoog is on a lot of classic stuff, but that had something to do with it being one of the big players at the time. There's nothing about the sound itself that warrants the pricetag imo.
>>
>>52610140
It doesn't sound terrible impressive for an analog synth. That and its full of menus.
>>
>>52610035
>typical modularfag shit
I don't even like modulars. I use software.

>Modular musicians always completely ignore the perhaps most important and difficult aspect of music: composition. If you're going to reply that composition is outdated then I just don't know.
No, I think your definition of "composition" is overly narrow. It's true that a lot of people who treat a modular as a real time performance instrument end up painting themselves into a corner with something overly static. There's a limit to what you can do with form if you've got two hands and 200 knobs, and generally the really good stuff is extensively multitracked and edited. But you don't even seem to be making that distinction.
>>
>>52610163
For 400 dollars you'd get a working one.

>>52610190
For you.
>>
>>52609904
I use Logic Pro, which is like a really pro version of GarageBand. I have respect for Garage Band. It's quite capable, really.. It was the first DAW i ever used and I put together a little jazzy track using a midi keyboard in no time at all.
>>
>>52610163
Aside from the displays (and I think someone is remanufacturing those coils that tend to go bad), they should generally be pretty robust.
>>
>>52610120
at you're service :^)
Just remember it takes time to learn the basics of a DAW, they all do the same things; what changes is /how/ they do those things and how they look. You'll likely have to watch a few tuts on youtube for each one; try to make a track in one and then try to replicate it in other DAWs. Pick the one you found the most intuitive, fast and fun.
>>
>>52610253
Why would I throw more money into a synth that I already have a broken version of? I already know the issue is that the regulators die and fry the whole CPU, and there's no replacements for it.
>>
>>52610224
I assume you're talking 'bout the Mopho? Menu's... hmm, not a huge fan of those, that's why I like the Sub 37 but would not want the Sub Phatty.

>>52610222
I like the Moog sound though. And the 3 octaves + paraphony are great additions. I hope there will be a 'regular' production model at some point, because the current $1500 one is a special ed. and thus extra costly.
>>
>>52610345
Why not the sub phatty? all the panel controls are right there in front of you.
>>
>>52610124
meant to quote >>52609894
sorry
>>
>>52610238
>I think your definition of "composition" is overly narrow
If you consider and arp playing one or two patterns for twenty minutes with variations in filters/ringmods/shit being the only thing to break the monotony composition, let alone good composition whatever.
>and generally the really good stuff is extensively multitracked and edited
Then it wouldn't really be under the scope of this criticism, since it (hopefully) wouldn't be billed as "modular music," but just as whatever genre it is.
>>
>>52610345
>I like the Moog sound though.
Then why are you asking. It sounds like you've made up your mind.
>>
>>52610299
That sounds like a good idea, cheers!
>>
>>52610161
oh god, that's horrible m8
>>
>>52610367
Shit I must've been confused with either the Slim or Little Phatty then. Sub Phatty looks p. good actually.

>>52610383
Because of the price tag. And because I can't try a Moog Sub Phatty/37 out anywhere near where I live. I could demo the Bass Station 2 though, and while I generally liked it, I got lost in the presets because I didn't know where the knobs were set when I started with a preset, so I wouldn't know where to start with knobtwiddling and such. I do like the ability to save my own presets though, makes live on stage usage so much easier I imagine.
>>
>>52610087
Thanks for the suggestion.
I think I see why you would recommend against it, which would you recommend though?

>>52610377
I know focusrite is better quality but I can't seem to find one cheaper than 150$. I'll look again. Thanks for the condenser mic recommendation, and reminding me that guitar center has a used section. I'll check that out right now.
>>
>>52610470
>not producing the music for circa 2002 handheld fashion based video games
>>
How many of us here are proficient keyboard players? If so, what midi keyboard do you like?
I recently replaced my Axiom61 with a Novation Launchkey 49 and it has some great automapping for different DAWs
>>
>>52610253
The MS20 mini sucks ass because of the terrible signal to noise ratio when you play a note.
>>
>>52610527
http://www.guitarcenter.com/Focusrite-Scarlett-Solo-110481744-i3847819.gc

this one is 100. only 1 mic preamp. I use the Sapphire Pro 40, and I've had 2 of them now. I do have to say that their customer service is total shit, but I just had an unlucky experience and got one of those units with a manufacturing defect
>>
>>52604136
Start singing.
>>
>>52610557
I like synth punk and industrial music so w/e.
>>
>>52610382
>If you consider and arp playing one or two patterns for twenty minutes with variations in filters/ringmods/shit being the only thing to break the monotony composition, let alone good composition whatever.
What's wrong with repetition or minimalism? Listen to timbre. And anyway the repetitive elements generally serve as a backbone to the piece, not the entirety of the music. Isn't understanding this fundamental in electronic music?
>Then it wouldn't really be under the scope of this criticism, since it (hopefully) wouldn't be billed as "modular music," but just as whatever genre it is.
Since when is anything billed as "modular music"? The fact that something is made using a modular is notable, but it's not a genre.
>>
>>52604136
I was tone deaf. I started working my ass off and took voice lessons for years. I am very thankful I put in some effort cause voice is by far the best instrument. Everyone has one!
>>
>>52610557
It is what it is, that doesn't mean it sucks. It's unfortunate if people buy these things expecting a Minimoog, but they're actually very useful.
>>
>>52610609
>industrial music
Then it makes a lot of sense actually. About the only thing I thought the MS20 mini would be useful for is industrial stuff. Totally not my cup of tea, but yeah, then I get why you would be able to like it and find a use for it.
>>
>>52610711
>About the only thing I thought the MS20 mini would be useful for is industrial stuff.
It was a staple in minimal synth, neue deutsche welle, etc.
>>
>>52610530
>>52610470
Lmao! You really think so? It's the first track I ever made that didn't sound super bad. After making a bunch of other melodies but not being able to make percussion to go along with it. I could probably better it some if I went back to it but decided to not tamper with it once it was finished. I just wanted to ask you if Reaper works for that kind of shit. Or if the workflow was good for it; idk.

I admit though the only thing that track was missing was the watermark "You are listening to Gay95FM; only the gayest hits of the 90's".
>>
>>52610619
>What's wrong with repetition or minimalism?
Nothing, if used correctly.
>Isn't understanding this fundamental in electronic music?
If you listen to shitty edm or something, I guess.
>Since when is anything billed as "modular music"?
It's not really uncommon to see things tagged as that, and usually things with that tag share common traits that I've already described.
>The fact that something is made using a modular is notable
Not really. It's pretty arbitrary. The fact that the musicians go out of there way to make it known that they work with modulars is a good indication that the music won't be very good.
>>
File: lilphatty.jpg (8 KB, 259x194) Image search: [Google]
lilphatty.jpg
8 KB, 259x194
>>52609210
But what does /mu/'s producer general think of moogs?

I think the moog little phatty might be the next investment for our studio/jamspace. Anything you guys prefer better? Any qualms with this particular piece?
>>
>>52610749
which have close ties to the industrial scene
>>
>>52610771
everyone loves a good moag. even if they tend to be a lil' overpriced, you can't go wrong.
>>
How much would it cost to master a 60-minute LP?
>>
>>52610749
How the fuck should I know? I'm 20 and mostly into experimental rock and fusion-ish things. I've only heard the old school MS20 used for some lines/effects on a few experimental rock albums, and I've only seen the MS20 beign used live by Jaga Jazzist earlier this year in 2 or 3 songs but only for short things before the guy (I think it was Oystein) went back to playing guitar or vibes or something.
>>
>>52610751
>>52610751
>the watermark "You are listening to Gay95FM; only the gayest hits of the 90's".
medium kek

Reaper is great though. You can be pretty sure that there's a way to do whatever you want, no matter how obtuse of obscure. Problem is, it may not be intuitive or apparent how to do it, but you will be able to. Same can't be said for other DAWs and that's what keeps me with Reaper, despite the fact that its UI is super ugly. I suggest getting a skin or something.

The other problem is that it has no good plugins like Live does If you've got plenty of third party ones then that's alright, but it would be nice to just have some simple, pleasant to use essential tools stock.
>>
>>52610771
Moogs are the ultimate memesynth in my opinion. They really don't sound stand out to my ears and I think the only reason they're as hyped as they are is because the brand cought on early.
>>
>>52610761
>If you listen to shitty edm or something, I guess.
okay, fuck off with your stupid assumptions
>>
>>52610817
Well there are a lot of variables there. Some people charge by song. I recently got the newest standalone version of Izotope's Ozone and it's given me the opportunity to dive in and master my tracks. It's fun as fuck and easier than I thought.
>>
>>52610867
But you're the one with the stupid assumptions of me just not getting it or whatever.
Sorry you're unable to accept that some people have criticisms of things you like, but saying that repetition is the backbone to all electronic music is ignorant.
>>
>>52610830
>he doesn't listen to minimal synth and NDW
>laughing_men_in_black_turtlenecks.jpg
>>
>>52610751
get some more power behind your kick, all I heard was top end and really subby lows
>>
>>52610830
Listen to Liaisons Dangereuses, they used the MS series pretty much exclusively.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Eag7NVG2yAM
>>
>>52610851
>>52610790
I like both inputs, but what are some alternative if it's not worth the money? I've already kind of felt the reservation that 1000 bucks might not be worth that synth.

Right now we have a Korg Concert 350 and a Nord Electro 3. Trying to find a more "workstation like" synth similar to the moog to add to the mix.
>>
just started a thread asking about this but I should also ask here

Monday I'm going with my band mates to pick up some equipment so we can start pre production for our tracks

We're playing an indie rock/pop sort of style

I run a decent amount of pedals into a fender twin

Was wondering if anyone could give me some tips on guitar mics/drum mics/vocal mics

Were using logic and this stuff doesnt have to sound over the top since its pre pro

I hate taking the word of an employee at GC or Sam Ash assuming its valid so why not ask here
>>
>>52610954
What are you talking about? Moogs are nothing like workstations.
>>
>>52610900
Another anon here, but please go to /bleep/ some time. Ignore the discussion and listen to all songs posted. They might not all be great, but you'll understand repetion much better.
>>
>>52610954
Moogs aren't anything like workstations. Workstations are like Korg's Kronos, Yamaha Motifs, etc. Not sure what you can get in that area for 1k right now, but I'd bet you could get some good second hand models of last generation for maybe around that. New workstations tend to be on the pricey side. The Kronos seems neat, if you want to spend a lot.
>>
>>52610999
I'm probably using the wrong terminology. I probably mean as a Synthesizer. Like for manipulating and fucking with a sound, not for sequencing it. I also like the noise production on the moog.
>>
>>52610591
>costs 25$ more, one less mic input
O-ok. I'd rather get that, than an M-track that probably has hiss. Better safe than sorry, definitely.

>looking through used condenser mics on guitarcenter; holyshit some of these are at a bargain. Thanks mane.
>>
>>52611035
>>52610999
Okay so yeah I'm clearly fucking up the terminology here. Is there a good place to go learn about all of this stuff? What's a workstation vs a Synth? How would you relate the Nord to the Concert Korg to the Moog?
>>
>>52610995
The Sennheiser MD421 is a go-to mic for me. It's good for literally everything. No exaggeration. My friend and I were doing producing/engineering for 2 bands last summer and we used that mic to do so much. From vocals to drums to guitars.

>>52611078
no problem m8. glad i could help somebody. i am not very knowledgeable about the synth stuff so it's hard for me to contribute.
>>
>>52610915
>>52610837
thanks

/prod/ are good threads
>>
http://soundcloud.com/djbambinoj/do-right-and-kill-everything
Opinions?i hope those 6 hours weren't spent in vein...
>>
File: 2014-12-31_00001.jpg (266 KB, 1366x768) Image search: [Google]
2014-12-31_00001.jpg
266 KB, 1366x768
I've figured a neat idea. If you get a Reverb'd or Delay'd signal to hit before the signal itself. It's got a pretty interesting effect, though I wonder should the effected signal then hit on the beat or slightly before?
>>
>>52610995
>this stuff doesnt have to sound over the top since its pre pro
Garbage in, garbage out, son. If the sound quality of your recordings are mediocre at best, your final product won't be much better.

In general, if you have zero mics, get a SM57, SM58, MD421, E906, D112 and a condenser mic.
>>
>>52611095
Nord is a stage keyboard. Has all of your bread and butter sounds. The Korg is a digital piano, made to feel and sound like a piano. The Moog is an analog monosynth, made to play one note, sound good, and be a badass. A workstation is a keyboard that does a bit of everything, they usually have a good keyboard, good piano and other keyboard sounds, sampling, but a fairly limited synth section, they also have fairly powerful arranger/sequencer sections to build multitracked songs all within the workstation.
>>
>>52610914
>laughing_men_in_black_turtlenecks.jpg
you mean like those nihilists in The Big Lebowski who believe in nozhing and were in that band, Autobahn?
>>
I want to make ambient. I don't know shit about all this stuff though.

Where do I start? What do I use? etc
>>
>>52611295
get the fuck outta here
>>
>>52611002
Again, this assumption that I "just don't get it"
I get it fine, I just have an opinion that you disagree with and you feel the need to act presumptuous because of it.
>>
>>52611313
>ask questions, share tips

No, I'm OK.
>>
>>52611295
>I want to make ambient. I don't know shit about all this stuff though.
dont start
im serious
>>
>>52611116

Awesome I'll look into that mic some more

>>52611190

The idea is we would take it to a studio of course and the final product would be made there

Nowadays handling production for your own music is a must and I just want some advice on the equipment to start with

Any particular condenser's to recommend?
And with those mics a four piece band is pretty much good to go?
>>
>>52611055
Bro, if you want a Moog, get a Moog.
>>
>i want to make music but i have no idea how, cant work a daw, dont know music theory or know what a sequencer does, cant play any instruments, and too stupid to learn about anything.

why do people do this? dont even bother
>>
>>52611295
It's a bit vague of a question really m8.

Not sure why I'm bothering to reply as it's obviously going to take me a lot more energy than it did you to ask the question.

There are a lot of ways to go about making any type of music you could use a computer, or real instruments and hardware effects?

How much money do you have to spend
>>
>>52610995
The basic setup for recording drums is the 4 mic setup: kick, snare and two over head mics. Those mics may be all you need.

Kick - AKG D112, Beta 52, any equivalent kick/bass mic.
Snare - SM57
Overheads - A pair of identical condenser mics like Rode NT5s or Samson C02s

and an audio interface with 4 XLR inputs

You can use the kick mic to record bass guitar (or you can record bass D.I through the interface), the sm57 to record all the guitar amps, the pair of condensers to record acoustic guitar and other string instruments.

For vocals you can use the sm57, but if you'll probably want to get a large diaphragm condenser like the at4040.
>>
>>52611531
>4 mic setup
disgusting

i like having 14 mics
>>
>>52611392
>The idea is we would take it to a studio of course and the final product would be made there
So you want to record a DEMO. Riiight, ok, then I know what I'm working with.

>Any particular condenser's to recommend?
I like the sound of the Rode NTK but it ain't cheap.

>And with those mics a four piece band is pretty much good to go?
Guitar 1: SM57
Guitar 2: MD421
Bass: as much as I hate saying this, for a demo; DI (but when you go to the studio insist on a mic, SM57/MD421 + D112)
Lead vox: Condenser
Back up vox: SM58
Kickdrum: D112
Snare: MD421
For overheads/cymbals: get a matched pair of Oktava's (MK012 MSP2 should be around 3hundo)
For the toms (SM57?)/additional hihat mic.. shit.. maybe someone else could chime in?
>>
>>52611568
>not recording everything live at the same time with a single omnidirectional mic in an abandoned church
Thread replies: 236
Thread images: 12

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.