[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
/hopkins/
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /mu/ - Music

Thread replies: 18
Thread images: 3
File: folder.jpg (24 KB, 628x628) Image search: [Google]
folder.jpg
24 KB, 628x628
Is this the apex of modern electronic music?

Has anything in the last decade matched Immunity?
>>
>>51766905
it's an electronic music album for people that don't like electronic music. why don't you like electronic music op?
>>
>>51766947
>le entry level face :D
>>
>>51767183
mfw hopkins (^:,'
>>
>>51766905
I think BT's "This Binary Universe", which predates Hopkins' Immunity by more than 6 years is much more defining for a new era of electronic but i might be wrong.

Still love Hopkins' work, especially this album. Seeing him live was fantastic.
>>
>>51766905
Off the top of my head, here are a few (fairly) recent albums better than Immunity:

>Hollow Worlds
>Syro
>Flatland
>Tomorrows Harvest

And possibly You're Dead!, if you want to include it.
>>
>>51767287

You might have a point actually, the Antikythera Mechanism and all that is a brilliant suite.

Shame BT has never been consistent, I mean his next album after that was These Hopeful Machines which was basically a "boyband" album with a couple of nice tracks like Rose of Jericho
>>
File: 1409340427510.jpg (84 KB, 799x800) Image search: [Google]
1409340427510.jpg
84 KB, 799x800
>>51767300

>Hollow Worlds
>Tomorrows Harvest
>>
>>51767426
>Two fantastic albums

Your point?
>>
>>51767362
Yeah "TBU" is fucking fantastic and it still sounds super modern and fresh. And i agree, BT's inconsistency is a shame, i actually pretty much hate everything else i've heard by him. Which doens't necessarily mean it's bad i just don't like it.
>>
I think some of the best Electronic artists of the last 10 years are Four Tet, Aphex, BOC, Autechre and Burial.
On this album he distills some of the best bits of all of the above, so I'd say its pretty close to the apex.
Except for Burial. There really is nothing like that.
>>
>>51767362

>>51767488

I agree about TBU being his best work by miles, but Hopeful Machines is a great "EDM"-pop album

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N429OkQ4qt4
>>
Shackleton - Music For THe Quiet Hour
Laurel Halo - Quarantine
Burial - Untrue
Fennesz - Endless Summer
Keith Fullerton - Playthroughs
>>
File: homepage_large.3829453e.jpg (47 KB, 319x319) Image search: [Google]
homepage_large.3829453e.jpg
47 KB, 319x319
>>
>>51767574

holy shit JES got old quick
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9oBRgXtyKeE
>>
>>51767574
the instrumental is interesting but the voices are such a turn off :(((
>>
>>51767631
is Endless Summer better than Black Sea?
>>
>>51767727
Absolutely

At least in my opinion
Worth a listen either way. Black Sea came after Endless Summer and was built on some of the ideas explored in that album.

If you like Endless Summer, check out Radio Amor by Tim Hecker
Thread replies: 18
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.