[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Anyone care for a crossover with /tg/?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /mlp/ - My Little Pony

Thread replies: 19
Thread images: 5
https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/224492525/ponyfinder-dawn-of-the-fifth-age

I have some of the pre 5th book and they are a fun read.
Even have some stuff I'd like to see in "mainstream" PRPGs.
Like what the stereotypes different races has for one another.
Also props for having non Pony races like Griffons.
>>
MUH /TG/ NIGGAS WAZZZUP
>>
>>27923493
Not much I guess...
>>
Why would anyone try to mash ponies together with D&D of all things? I honestly can't think of a single system less suited for a MLP game from the top of my head.

Just... Why?

What's the rationale for going with D&D?
>>
File: Ponyfinder_Cover.gif (678 KB, 900x1200) Image search: [Google]
Ponyfinder_Cover.gif
678 KB, 900x1200
>>27924077
To be fair, it started as a Pathfinder mod.

And given how much more "fun" I and others have been having with 5e this makes sense.
>>
>>27924101
And said mod started when a DM dude namned David Silver saw this and said "I can make this" or something.
>>
>>27924117

Oh, so this isn't MLP related, despite the similarities in visual design? Some alternate universe fanfiction or someshit?
>>
>>27924077
What else?Gurps is too complicated for an mlp game(and will result in extremly cringy consequences), savage world is just shit,and putting it under any chaosium system will only make more mechanical shit storms.
>>
Nah, I just use Pony Tales for all my roleplaying needs.

It's not perfect, but it has some fun decisions, and character's feel distinctly unique.

https://docs.google.com/document/d/1LaHX_aeWrw5643u040zqovePyesWI5KAXgkoHEqDazQ/edit?pli=1
>>
>>27924156

I don't have any first-hand experience with Savage Worlds, but Gurps works exceptionally well, actually.
For starters GURPS is nowhere near as complicated as D&D (unless you want it to be), so it allows for a nice gradient for new players and children.
Racial balance isn't such a clusterfuck in GURPS, due to it being point-based.
There's good support for non-violent solutions, teamwork and social interactions, key elements of MLP that D&D completely lacks.
It's not restricted to classes, so you can actually make the MLP-archetypes instead of being shoehorned into D&D archetypes that will inevitably feel out of place in a MLP setting. (Want to go fast like Rainbow Dash? Take Flight, Super Flight and Aerobatics).

But seriously, almost anything would be a more faithful MLP game than fucking D&D
>>
File: really.png (244 KB, 345x340) Image search: [Google]
really.png
244 KB, 345x340
>>27923488
>people working on another fan made pony D&D module when hasbro is already working on an official one
but why?
>>
>>27924239
>There's good support for non-violent solutions, teamwork and social interactions, key elements of MLP that D&D completely lacks
excuse me sir, if your D&D sessions lack this its because youre not utilizing your skills. you know, diplomacy, bluff, etc.
>>
>>27924255
Literally this
If you can't solve things non-violently it's either because:
A.) Your GM is basically forcing the encounter to go into combat
Or
B.) The party is mostly evil and their main solution is violence
Or
C.) The players can't RP for shit
In particular, this last one is usually the case
>>
>>27924244
Ponyfinder was made a while ago, I bet Hasbro's development of their own system might be to squash fan made competition, or at least to delve into a new market with this fanbase
>>
>>27924255
>>27924276

D&D skills does not offer "good" support for non-violent solutions by any stretch of the definition, it offers "extremely barebones" support.
On the topic of social support, how does D&D handle personal status? Reputation? Looks? Initial reaction?

If I'm meant to freeform roleplay all noncombat encounters, why would I be playing D&D in the first place?
>>
File: druid_griffon_by_sitaart-d7pb2be.jpg (439 KB, 1200x1000) Image search: [Google]
druid_griffon_by_sitaart-d7pb2be.jpg
439 KB, 1200x1000
I just like to play cool monster...
And I enjoy the wrighting even with all its "totally not FiM, plz do not sue" stuff.
>>
>>27924146
Yup, alternate universe with design similarities because they're making money off it and don't want hasbro up their ass.
>>
>>27924500

Sounds like hc svnt dracones would be right up your alley then.
>>
>>27924583
>hc svnt dracones
Yes.
But I'm more into Mutant Zero Year.
Anyway, back on topic: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zyafh4c7BfI
Thread replies: 19
Thread images: 5

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.