[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Does anybody else feel like the show has lost a bit of it's
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /mlp/ - My Little Pony

Thread replies: 24
Thread images: 4
Does anybody else feel like the show has lost a bit of it's fantasy "edge" ? I still enjoy new episodes, and I know the show has always blended more modern/real life stuff with a fantasy setting but I can't help but feel like recently it leans much more toward the former than the latter for some reason....like when's the last time we saw a mythical creature or monster just being part of the general landscape?
>>
>>27784489
Totally. I miss the fantasy setting. It is all "real life ponified lolz" now.
>>
>>27784495
Where in real life are the magic maps? I must have missed that one.
>>
>>27784501
Fantasy is still a big part of it obviously, it's about talking horses. But the setting seems to be a lot closer to a version of the real world where it's ponies and not people rather than a completely fantastical animal world full of strange creatures
>>
>>27784501
>Where in real life are the magic maps?
In the show.
>>
>>27784489
>Does anybody else feel like the show has lost a bit of it's fantasy "edge"
When the main character had her Magical Transformation because every little girl wants to be a princess. So she now looks down - metaphorically, of course - at the world from her literal palace, instead of up from a child's point of view.

That's beside shit like the Statue of Liberty (but pony!) and fucking Manehatten episides
>>
>>27784489
well they had us since S1 and they won't get more people into this shit if they won't change things

they're going for the normies my friend...
>>
>>27784489
>Show is getting more mature
>Bronies will become mainstream
>100k people conventions will be common
>>
>>27784489
It does feel less Tolkienesque, yeah.
>>
>>27784489
Thats because we have been going to fucking manhattan for 3 years
>>
the last 4 episodes were set in manehattan, the spa, ponyville and manehattan again.
dealing with fairly normal issues. As in normal for our world. they didnt utilize the magical world much and 2 of them were set in a "modern" city.

I dont think that's a sign of where the show is headed, just that they put these episodes a bit too close together.
>>
File: 1463978716209.png (119 KB, 705x465) Image search: [Google]
1463978716209.png
119 KB, 705x465
>>27784489
It started to lose the fantasy feel with S2 with construction sites and modern hospitals in Ponyville, which were very out of place in what appeared to be a small agrarian town.

I think by S4 that feeling was completely gone, although a few episodes here and there, like Pinkie Pride, Griffonstone or Amending Fences manage to recapture a bit of it.
>>
>>27784643
Idk about that the last 2 seasons were more mature and Bronies are not as common on the internet as they used to be 3 or 4 years ago. I'm not saying the fandom is dead but it's not as active as it used to be. Maybe with the new movie coming out next year more people will notice the show and the fandom and more people will start to become bronies.
>>
File: reeee~.jpg (18 KB, 300x200) Image search: [Google]
reeee~.jpg
18 KB, 300x200
>>27784489
The show focused on friendship problems rather than using it as a vehicle for adventure half of the time like what Lauren wanted. As staff was replaced, Hasbro filled the gap.

It doesn't surprise me that they're just throwing in writers and ideas at this point, hoping that something sticks. Starlight wasn't even focused as much as Twilight, so in essence they replaced a top tier villain for a much more bland guest protagonist. They even got desperate enough to attempt for a more adventure focused spinoff called Guardians of Harmony, which nobody knows what exactly the fuck it is. Is it just a toy line, does it have a show, or is it an entire brand?

Hasbro has no idea what it's doing. It's meddling with its talent, making them frustrated and getting them to leave.

And yet their profit is still growing from the MLP brand what I remember back in 2015, rewarding their amoral, control freak tendencies just like every other large corporation. I guess what that means is that we can't have nice things.
>>
>>27784769
I see reformed glimglam as a vehicle for learning and re-learning friendship lessons they cant do with the main cast anymore. You can only teach about the basics of friendships or the flaws of their personalities so much, and after 6 years of friendship most of their conflicts have been sort of settled. there's a lot of potential to learn through her, but I dont think the writers have utilized it. Maybe theyre planning something for the finale?
>>
>>27784489
When practically every second episode is set in Manehatten as though this is Friends rather than FIM, it makes sense.

Is it too much for even a Los Pegasis scene let alone episode?

>>27784714
Honestly, even the things they did in S2 still lacked a not-belonging sense that the ones from S4 onwards have given off. And was there anything like that, out-of-place or otherwise, in S3 at all?
>>
>>27784489
No, /mlp/ would rather have Slice of Ass episodes instead of Adventure Episodes
>>
>>27784822
How dare they!
>>
>>27784821
>And was there anything like that, out-of-place or otherwise, in S3 at all?
Aside from the cinema stuff from the Babs Seed song nothing really. S3 was pretty solid in keeping the setting consistent.
>>
File: 1465877453874.jpg (12 KB, 400x400) Image search: [Google]
1465877453874.jpg
12 KB, 400x400
>>27784489
I wanna bang that mare
>>
>>27784489
What the fuck are actually talking about OP?
>a few slice of life episodes
>"S-show is no longer fantasy!!!!!"
Did you forget that season opened with an episode where a baby almost wiped out an entire empire of ponies?
>>
>>27785085
People are stupid.
>>
>>27784489
Very much so, and between that and the utter disregard for the setting and lore in general I can't help but feel my interest waning. Feels bad, since I don't want to (and probably can't) get off the ride, but I'm increasingly finding myself uninterested in new episodes.

Sometimes they still get it. Do Princesses Dream...? was an excellent example of a pure fantasy episode, but increasingly these sorts of things seem to be relegated to season premieres/finales with everything in between being relatively non-fantasy stuff.

I mean, when the fuck did Sweet Apple Acres get a powered sprinkler system? Wasn't that what Pegasi kicking clouds were supposed to be for? Isn't the whole 'scheduled weather' thing supposed to be one of the reasons why farming in Equestria is so easy?
>>
>>27784489
THIS
H
I
S
Thread replies: 24
Thread images: 4

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.