[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Debate. Are Slice of Life episodes ruining MLP? As the seasons
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /mlp/ - My Little Pony

Thread replies: 28
Thread images: 4
File: 1461940707832.png (147 KB, 247x296) Image search: [Google]
1461940707832.png
147 KB, 247x296
Debate.

Are Slice of Life episodes ruining MLP? As the seasons have gone on, the amount of them has increased more and more, sooner or later all episodes may be SoL. Yet many agreed Gauntlet of Fire was probabily the best episode of the (current) season. Adventure episodes were the best part of S1 and now they're far and few inbetween.

The new writers also don't understand the characters enough to write Slice of Life with them correctly, where as with Adventure it's less about the individual personalities and can mostly be ignored for the other elements of the episode.

What is /mlp/'s thoughts? Is Slice of Life being over done?
>>
I really wish that there were more adventure episodes. They're more memorable.
>>
>>27388132
>Meanwhile, in bizarro /mlp/...
>>
>>27388132
I think theres an inconsistency. National heroes can't have totally peaceful lives. Isn't it weird no one really acknowledges their accomplishments? The writers are trying to make them seem like average ponies, but they just aren't.
>>
>>27388154
If by bizarro you mean wanting legitimate show discussion, than yes. Welcome to bizarro /mlp/.
>>
No. Look at power ponies and fucking daring do. Adventure episodes and completely sperg. As long as the characters are written well I don't care what kind of episode it is.
>>
>>27388166
>Purposely using bad episodes to prove your point

Right, and the episode literally titled Slice of Life is evidence that every sol episode is fan pandering shit.
>>
>>27388132
> As the seasons have gone on, the amount of them has increased more and more
dyewts? Most of S1 was slice of life except the premiere and Dragonshy.

And no, they don't. I'm perfectly fine with slice of life and it's far from the biggest problem with the show. However I'd like to see future two-parters to be suitably epic. I loved Twilight's Kingdom and Cutie Mark Remark while the last premiere went for a more slicey, character-based plot and suffered for it.
>>
>>27388529
I feel ya, this is why I didn't like Best Night Ever back in 2011.
>>
File: Lh8zH.png (158 KB, 784x641) Image search: [Google]
Lh8zH.png
158 KB, 784x641
I think that Adventure episodes should be reserved for season ends or beginnings. Its nice seeing big epic conflicts and ponies kicking flank but you really can't build or develop any characters in the middle of a huge scale conflict.

Slice of Life however lets you explore, build and deconstruct the facets of the Characters. The Season should be a string of slice of life episodes that lay out the ground work ether developing the characters or exposing flaws and reveal information that can then be referenced in the end of season adventure two parter.

Case and point Lord of the Rings, 41 Chapters of Character building to 21 Chapters of actual conflict.
>>
File: nigga_went_full_autism.jpg (4 KB, 387x343) Image search: [Google]
nigga_went_full_autism.jpg
4 KB, 387x343
I, for one, would love more adventure episodes with a bit of SoL. More shit like The Lost Treasure of Griffonstone. There are so many episodes they could do like Griffonstone and other great concepts for episodes they could use from previous seasons that they have not done and I would very much like to see them, even seeing shit like the diamond dogs or something sounds pretty cool.
>>
File: Yakyakistan.jpg (300 KB, 1280x720) Image search: [Google]
Yakyakistan.jpg
300 KB, 1280x720
>>27388853
I Just want this concept of Equestria being this isolationist nation to end and for the story to explore the world a bit more.
>>
>>27388886
Also agree.
The synopsis for episode 11 (I think?) sounds completely retarded and feels like a missed opportunity to do more memorable and exciting episodes like some of the ones mentioned in this thread
>>
>>27388132
I think we've had too many character focused episodes, combined with a moral needed at the end of every episode, explains why ew hit endgame so quickly.
>>
>>27388132
>As the seasons have gone on, the amount of them has increased more and more
Nigga, S1 had 20/26 slice of life episodes, the vast majority of the show has always been slice of life.
>>
>>27388937
Flutter Brutter should be interesting if for nothing else having Fluttershy be on the other side of the conflict like in It Ain't Easy Being Breezies. Usually the conflict is Fluttershy hides in her house refusing to do something and has to be cajoled into it by others, this time round she's going to have to be the one to get her neet brother out of the house.

Im not going to write off Saddle Row & Rec because Rarity episodes always sound like Gen 2 shit but manage to surprise me, however Applejack's "Day" Off sounds like a paint by numbers, uninspired lump of filler. I get the feeling they went with something edgy like an episode about Applejacks dead parents then Hasbro negated their idea and the rushed in some filler to stop gap the hole.
>>
>>27388132
I really don't like how Josh Haber cannot write action so we gotta whole lotta meh from Cutie Remark-Friendship Games-Crystalling.

For that regard he is kind of overdoing it.

>>27388973
I don't consider Swarm of the Century to be Slice of Life.
>>
>>27389042
Aj's day off was the episode I was on about. Feels like a waste
>>
>>27389064
Cutie-Remark wasn't meh, it just needed to be longer, a lot longer, 'each future could of been its own episode' longer. The issue was as they desperately tried to cram it all into one hour everything came off as rushed but the ideas and concepts were solid, well except Starlight's motivation, that I admit, was bullshit.
>>
Creature Feature
When a rare creature makes its new home in the Sisters' Old Castle, Fluttershy insists that Twilight not interfere with its natural habitat.
>>
Music to My Fears
After receiving a slew of hate mail, Coloratura quite her music career to work on Sweet Apple Acres.
>>
Say It Don't Spray It
The Cutie Mark Crusaders try to track down an elusive graffiti artist making a mess of Canterlot.
>>
Wonderdolt Rainbow Dash
When Rainbow Dash scores the lowest in a Wonderbolts fan poll, she desperately tries to improve her popularity.
>>
Sweets of Rage
Spike starts competing against Applejack at a market after he dared to make variants of her traditional Apple Pie recipe to boost sales.
>>
Filly Celestia
Celestia is changed into a filly after her age rejuvenation process goes awry.
>>
>>27388537
>Didn't like a perfectly comfy SoL Finale that wasn't a Twilight Sparkle Power Hour and actually handles everyone fairly well
>>
Are these future episode titles?
>>
>>27389510
Yes
Thread replies: 28
Thread images: 4

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.