[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Like just make video game
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /mlp/ - My Little Pony

Thread replies: 51
Thread images: 8
File: cat-avatar-2.png (477 KB, 1250x622) Image search: [Google]
cat-avatar-2.png
477 KB, 1250x622
>Guys let's make a video game!
https://desustorage.org/mlp/thread/27203017

Ok, what will it be about?
>Robot horses attacking Equestria!! The main 6 will have space suit armour with lazers and bombs instead of magic. Every enemy will be roboticized
Do you have any real talent in programming and game design?
>I made 20 games in Unity and they all sucked. I also played NES games a lot, so that makes me qualified.
How much effort and time are you willing to put into it?
>I'll message my non-existent team via email once in a blue moon to go back to work. That counts.

Well okay then, that's all you need. Welcome aboard.
>Thank you!
>Anon proceeds to rush through the door and he falls in the deep blue ocean called Unreal Engine 4. (spaghetti ensues)
>AAHCkk help! This isn't Game Maker, this isn't scripting, this is coding!! Where are my pastebins!! throw me the life saver, pls. Fuck, this is too hard, this isn't my tiny bathtub with my duckie anymore, this isn't fun. (He drowns... like a little faggot).
>>
File: 1449761805885.gif (1 MB, 267x200) Image search: [Google]
1449761805885.gif
1 MB, 267x200
>>27241695
>bunch of talentless fucks with no experience
>no college education in game design either
>make a video game
You know what. Go ahead. I want to see this crash and burn complete with glorious fireworks of drama and clashing egos.
>>
>>27241695
Yes, we've all heard that joke. /mlp/ can't make a game because it has no talent, taste, or tact. This has honestly become so routine, that from the first "let's make a game" to the last "what happened to project X?" thread down the line, it's just going through the motions. I've seen it happen a dozen times. They all do the same thing. Someone has an idea, and everyone has determination, but they have no clue what they're doing, and think that magically, they'll have a game come together within the span of a month or two. Anyone who has a sound plan of action, and not just a concept of a game, is already leagues ahead of everyone else. Starting up a project with no outline or plan is the product of a bunch of clueless people who are hoping that the other clueless people will know what to do.
>>
>>27241881
>I want to see this crash and burn complete with glorious fireworks of drama and clashing egos.
It won't even make it that far. We'll most likely never hear of this again, like 95% of the other projects that start up here.
>>
>>27241881
>studying game design
anon, im so sorry
>>
>>27241951
>don't know the first thing about coding
>made a shitty point and click flash game for a class so I know how hard it is to make a real game (scale my problems up by 100 and I get the picture)
>not a good artist but I know I could learn with practice and I'm decent at making pixel graphics
>know enough about game/level design to write a GDD
>know not to be ambitious with a first game (like, something PONG tier is good to start)
>know how to communicate and write show quality scripts (though to be fair, writing isn't hard)
Would I make a good "project leader" for this sort of thing?
>>
>>27242013
>don't know the first thing about coding

no, not at all, you just basically described "the idea guy"
>>
>>27242054
Idea guys have never made any sort of game ever, not even in game maker. I know a bit about scripting for Flash because of the point and click game, and therefore I'm at least a bit ahead of the rest. I've got an few ideas I could put to paper too, and I know I could organize and flesh out those ideas in a week and then, if I went full autism on it, maybe finish it in a year, learning as I went.

But the people doing the work isn't the real issue. The real issue is that we can't make a pony game without Hasbro slapping us with their Cock&Dick, so the competent people won't touch this with a 10 foot pole.
>>
Problem is that everyone wants to make unrealistic games, instead of agreeing on something basic.
>>
>>27242142
>so the competent people won't touch this with a 10 foot pole.
But Anon, when was /mlp/ ever competent?
I thoroughly believe, in time, it will get done. Technically, it already has and is done.
>>
>>27242142
>we can't make a pony game without Hasbro slapping us with their Cock&Dick
Sure you can. LOE hasn't got C&D'd since they removed all the canon characters and renamed all the cities. And they did get C&D'd once before they did that, so it's not like Hasbro doesn't know about them.
>>
>>27242013
Maybe. I have no knowledge of coding, but I do know that along with organizing the game, you have to be able to organize people. How are you going to break down tasks and divide them among the team? Most people don't think about this. They just throw a bunch of people into a department, and let them sort it out. I've been on many failed/stalled projects.

Do as much work on your own as you can. The more complete you can make your work, the easier it is for your team to get the project done. If you don't have a working model, then what are the programmers going to go off of? If you have no story, how are the writers going to refine it? If you have no samples of music, how will the composer have a clear idea of what sort of feel they're supposed to go for? If you have no level/character designs, how will your artists know the aesthetic you're going for? You don't have to be proficient in any of these fields, but you have to know enough to translate your thoughts into a tangible product, as shitty as it may be. Most people have a backwards attitude about the relationship between them and their team. They think the team is the workhorse, and that the leader is the person who brings it all together. That's wrong. As the leader, YOU are the workhorse. You lay the groundwork. They are the people who bring life into it. Leading really is a lot of work.
>>
File: 1436689603970.png (266 KB, 659x563) Image search: [Google]
1436689603970.png
266 KB, 659x563
>this isn't scripting, this is coding!! Where are my pastebins!!
>>
>>27242188
This is actually the biggest problem IMO. Everyone wants to gather 100 people and spend 5 years making Pony Skyrim or whatever bullshit. Then those 100 people wind up starting drama, being lazy ("surely one of the 20 other artists will be able to pick up the slack..."), and generally fucking around.

I think the best chance of success would be a 6-8 week project with only one programmer, one artist, one musician, and maybe a game designer and/or level designer. Basically, keep it so simple that you can't possibly fuck it up. Then once the team has successfully made a game that actually works and is fun, either expand the existing game or start a new project that might be a little more ambitious.
>>
>>27242142
well yeah, you're somewhat right, but flash is a dying language, you should spend time learning a language, i recomend c# or C++ which are the most useful in Unity/Unreal respectively.

Coding in games is nothing compared to say, database management it only requires basic algebra and patience.
>>
>>27242365
Wrong faggot. He didn't mean that you're incapable of making 10/10 games. He meant that you're incapable of even making a 5/10 game.
You start working on a 5/10 platformer, but it ends up being a stiff, limited, boring 2/10 video game which a 12 year old could have coded in Python by himself.
>>
>>27242481
Did you reply to the wrong post or something? Because I don't see how you can get this interpretation:
>He didn't mean that you're incapable of making 10/10 games. He meant that you're incapable of even making a 5/10 game.
from the post I replied to:
>Problem is that everyone wants to make unrealistic games, instead of agreeing on something basic.
>>
File: puzzlepiece.png (70 KB, 828x1562) Image search: [Google]
puzzlepiece.png
70 KB, 828x1562
If we are talking about fan-games, I might as well state that The Underworld's Cello is still being worked on every day.

Making a game isn't just about passion. One needs to be persistent and determined to make the game work through practice, trial, and error. I didn't know that making a game by myself would take this long, but did I quit? No, because I'm aspiring to be a game dev and I want to see what I can do.
>>
>>27242591
Hey, you need some 8-bit music?
>>
>>27242532
> Everyone wants to gather 100 people and spend 5 years making Pony Skyrim
You're either so autistic that you're stupid or you're the biggest false excuse-making bullshitting pile of shit I have met. Which is typical of a member of a fandom that pretends to love and respect My Little Pony.
>>
File: cryingspeech2.png (1 KB, 62x62) Image search: [Google]
cryingspeech2.png
1 KB, 62x62
Because I had the right idea like >>27242250, I am the only programmer and artist making the game, so I'm free to work on this with my spare time without worrying about the input or contributions of other people. My head musician is especially helpful, as he volunteers to make music when I ask him to.

People can't just make games on a whim and expect other people to do it. In the indie world, you gotta start doing things yourself and gaining valuable experience that makes you a competent leader in the future.
>>
>>27242641

Thank you for offering, but I'm covered in the music department.
>>
>>27242591
And then we have the misplaced effort.
Making a game about a little girls toy commercial should be about that little girls cutesy adventure fun cartoon. Not a fucking point and click horror game inspired from a shitty Nes console game.
>>
>>27242704
Damn.
Do you know anyone who's needing 8-bit music?
>>
File: Vinyl news.png (47 KB, 132x132) Image search: [Google]
Vinyl news.png
47 KB, 132x132
>>27242713

Misplaced? Yes, perhaps you are right. But that's not to say the effort was in vain. Working on this game has given me insight on what game development was like, and it has given me a leg up in my programming classes on my way to get Bachelor's Degree in Video Game Development. It helped me figure out what I was going to do in life, and that's more than most developers that make shitty Unity games can say.
>>
>>27242658
>you're the biggest false excuse-making bullshitting pile of shit I have met
What the fuck are you ranting about now?

Anon (>>27242188) says that the problem with MLP game dev is that "everyone wants to make unrealistic games", as in, games that are unrealistically complicated or difficult to make. I replied (>>27242365), agreeing that a lot of projects have unrealistic goals, and wind up doing poorly as a result.

Then this asshole >>27242481 comes in out of fucking nowhere, ranting incoherently about how "He meant that you're incapable of even making a 5/10 game". "He" who? Certainly not the anon I replied to, who appears to think that a more realistic project could succeed. And certainly not OP, who seems to think the problem is people making ambitious plans without having any understanding of the difficulties involved or any useful skills.

By the way, I remember your style of barely-coherent rage from that thread a few months ago where some anons teamed up to make a new VN or some such thing. They went off to their Skype group and never came back, so I guess you were right about that one.

>>27242985
Don't bother, this is the same jackass from https://desustorage.org/mlp/thread/27203017/#27217842 who thinks nobody should make any games unless they're games that he personally considers 10/10.
>>
>>27241695
I'd like to participate in pony game development. I made a shitty pong and a tic-tac-toe that refused to lose in c++.

Sadly I suspect the people wanting or currently making games require someone with a higher degree of expertice than I currently posess and I wouldn't want to be a hinderance.

Not to mention my shitty grammar thanks to being a filthy spic
>>
>>27242726
Do you have a soundcloud or something with examples of music you've made?
>>
>>27242985

Just ignore that faggot, he is the classic baitfag of the fangame threads
>>
Here we have the world's geniuses pouring their sweat and talent into their scientific-tier projects...
http://gamejolt.com/games/canis-lupus/14377#close
http://gamejolt.com/games/pokemon-destiny/119054
http://gamejolt.com/games/path-of-shadows/26419

... and then there's your project, son.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QeZk3c0ZPto
http://gamejolt.com/games/blocky-pony-story-of-the-blanks-3d/63257

You're lucky you act so autistic otherwise they'd take it as a criminal offense.
>>
>>27243038
Heavens to Betsy. You really are autistic.
>>
>>27243068
https://soundcloud.com/hipopotomonstros
Here are some pieces

https://www.dropbox.com/s/pxvub6trobjw8nv/Sonate%20de%20le%20nuit.mp3?dl=0

Not 8-bit, but I did write this for a composition class.
>>
>>27243038

He really is barking up the wrong tree, considering no game is perfect, ESPECIALLY mine. However, the experience one gets from making a game is valuable.
>>
>>27242208
Touche. They're not even competent at being humble or understanding why the ridicule.
>>
>>27242532
You genuinely didn't get his ridcule or you're too much of a stubborn faggot to acknolwedge it?

Translation:
Don't kid yourself kid, you'd fuck up some way or another making Tetris just like the fanbase did in the past.
So don't give me this "we simply aimed too high" hypocrism. Every MLP project always aimed too low, and even with that Low low they still managed to fuck up. That was always the problem.
>>
>>27243380
>Every MLP project always aimed too low
Are you actually serious? No MLP game to date has been very successful, and you think it would be better if they instead planned projects that would be HARDER to finish?
>>
>Robot horses attacking Equestria
This is why we can't have nice things.
>>
>>27241695
>Still no vidya about cats.
>>
>>27241695
Autism, right there.
>>
>>27242338
Every faggot ever when they finally wake up and try to code in c++
>>
>>27244418
And people wonder why no one takes these things seriously
>>
>>27243120
That path of shadows actually looks kinda fun
>>
Bup
>>
>>27243120
Oh wow that was suppose to be actual 3D? I thought they were 2D sprites from a first person view like Doom and Duke Nukem. I genuinely thought that was a Roblox custom map before I read the whole thing.
>>
>>27242004
Elaborate please.
At one point I wanted to do game design, but at the end I stuck with stem.
>>
>>27250259
game design is an incredibly narrow take on the game industry as a whole, computer science or computer engineering should be your go-to options if you're trying to learn how to make games, sure its harder but it teaches you how to properly code everything you're going to use and more.

When i was studying Linear Algebra i thought i would never use it but here i am using matrixes to deal with big chunks of info.

Also if you plan to focus purely on game design there's a lot of books that focus on it.
>>
>No mlp game has ever been focused on Equestria and friends.
Autistic crossovers are what made fans so disinterested in the video game aspect of the fandom.
>>
>Robot horses
Ah you mean Clockwork Stallions.
>>
File: image.jpg (56 KB, 497x800) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
56 KB, 497x800
Ponyvania was pretty cool. But that game was made by one person I think.

There's also that Everfree outpost game that shows up here occasionally.
>>
>>27251292
Ponyvania's controls are pretty stiff and they exaggerated on the enemy quantity, that's my main problem with it.
>>
>>27241951
>Not reminding them 24/7 till they become humble and shy.
Thread replies: 51
Thread images: 8

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.