[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
/mlp/ Rewatches MLP:FiM. Episode 04x1
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /mlp/ - My Little Pony

Thread replies: 50
Thread images: 17
File: S1 Ep4.jpg (118 KB, 1915x1070) Image search: [Google]
S1 Ep4.jpg
118 KB, 1915x1070
We will be rewatching the whole show until more or less when we think S6 may start. Every Saturday, Sunday, and some Fridays we will rewatch one episode (see the calendar in next post). Feel free to discuss it again, post screenshots and stuff about today episode ITT.

Today episode: Applebuck Season (Season 1 episode 4). Written by Amy Keating Rogers

You can watch it online right here:
http://www.dailymotion.com/video/xmzofh_my-little-pony-friendship-is-magic-episode-4-applebuck-season_shortfilms

And you can download it here.
https://yp1.yayponies.no/episodes.php
>>
File: calendar2.jpg (160 KB, 1261x698) Image search: [Google]
calendar2.jpg
160 KB, 1261x698
And the calendar
>>
File: Applejack_first_miss_S01E04.png (422 KB, 1280x720) Image search: [Google]
Applejack_first_miss_S01E04.png
422 KB, 1280x720
bump for ded apple pony
>>
>>25741944
We should get a sort of mst3k thing going where we watch and ad lib reruns of pony.
>>
>>25742139
by now this is all we have
>>
File: rainbow_dash_by_mrcbleck-d5s5kxv.png (302 KB, 1600x1709) Image search: [Google]
rainbow_dash_by_mrcbleck-d5s5kxv.png
302 KB, 1600x1709
Now we're getting into the stuff I haven't rewatched in a while. I remembered this being a pretty mediocre episode but it was actually better than I remembered. Ironically, the first time I watched it was late at night when I was really tired. I guess there's not much to analyze with this episode so I'll just list off some notable things

>Big Mac has a normal conversation with AJ before his eeyup/nope gimmick is introduced, but he does give his first "eeyup", foreshadowing his eventual fate
>"This is yer sister, Applejack, remember! The loyalest of friends and most dependable of ponies!"
>the loyalest of friends
>loyalest
>Rainbow's face when
>first time seeing cows and mules talk
>apparently ponies enslave cows???
>when Rainbow Dash, Pinkie Pie, and Fluttershy interrupt Twilight's speech they all have a little piece of BGM that fits them, it's one of those little details that brings the show to life. You might not have noticed it, but your brain did.
>Similarly, the "Letter to Celestia" theme at the end, has a banjo added
>Winona is best pet
>remember the "Applejack is made of dark matter" meme?
>"muffins" - Derpy Hooves, 2010
>in the season 2 episode Super Speedy Cider Squeezy 6000, Applejack immediately accepts her friends help in the competition against Flim and Flam, showing that she had not forgotten this experience. Can you think of more examples of ponies retaining or forgetting lessons they learned in the show?
>>
>>25741944
AJ is shit pone.
>>
>>25742286
ur mum
>>
>>25742264
>apparently ponies enslave cows???

I always wanted to know what are cows supposed to do in the show. Where do they live? etc.
>>
>>25742264
>they all have a little piece of BGM that fits them
I don't think that's that special, doesn't
>AJ scene
>banjo starts playing
stem from a /co/ meme that's universal for cartoons?

>Can you think of more examples of ponies retaining or forgetting lessons they learned in the show?
The show has pretty good continuity overall, these things happen more or less often. They're not always apparent, but they do happen. S5 actually had relatively frequent callbacks to other episodes, especially in some of the new writers' episodes (Which is what actually makes me a quite optimistic about their future, since it means that they really seem to look at older stuff to get a feeling for the show and utilize it).
>>
She whinnies while snoring, sort of. I love when the ponies are horses.
>>25742396
I always took it as a mutual agreement sort of thing. The ponies provide them with shelter and food and get milk in reward. I dunno how sexual the milking is, but my guess is something amongst the lines of the music video for Prodigy's Baby's Got Temper.
>>
>>25742448
I'm not saying it's unique or anything, it's just a nice touch to a couple of scenes that I didn't notice before.
>>
>>25742714
Even if it's a mutually agreed arrangement, the interesting thing to me is that Applejack seems to clearly be the one in charge. I also notice that while ponies seem to have intelligence equal to humans, cows are almost there but still seem kind of dumb; when one of them sees a snake they all panic and stampede into town much like real cattle. And we rarely see cows interacting with normal pony society despite there apparently being a lot of them around, so based on all of this I think it is safe to say that cows are considered a lower caste than ponies, sort of half livestock, half serf. Of course, this is ideal pone world, so they're still treated with respect.
>>
>>25741960
Are we not doing Equestria Girls? The first one is kind of important since we see Twilight try to adjust to having wings. It would feel weird to just skip from MMC to season 4.
>>
>>25743255
Not pony, not canon
Maybe the Rainbow Rocks I could watch but no way I'm forcing myself through the garbage that is the first EqG
>>
>>25743408
>Not pony, not canon
Then how about just the pony scenes?
>>
>>25743255
I don't know, I only included the show itself, the five seasons we are all used to. I guess we could include EqG somewhere, for that maybe it would be nice a stream.
>>
File: Twilight's not sure about this.jpg (268 KB, 1920x1080) Image search: [Google]
Twilight's not sure about this.jpg
268 KB, 1920x1080
>>25743427
Yeah, I could go with that. I bet it takes like 10-15 minutes, so it's almost episode-length.
>>
File: Untitled.png (635 KB, 1344x408) Image search: [Google]
Untitled.png
635 KB, 1344x408
I always liked the way the fandom assigns personalities to the background characters based on any scrap of information or distinguishing features they might show. Lyra sits upright on a bench? She's obsessed with humanity. Derpy says the word muffin one time? That becomes her thing forever.
>>
bump for nostalgia
>>
>>25741944
why is twilight a unicorn?
>>
>>25743622
>not pony, not canon
stay true to your own words anon
>>
File: 1407886206010 (1).jpg (34 KB, 354x328) Image search: [Google]
1407886206010 (1).jpg
34 KB, 354x328
>>25744120
but not all background characters whee given personalities to.
a lot of other ponies wasnt covered, but most of the ponies shown on this episode had some exploration on fimfics.

what i liked was how they covered the meme lines:

"how do you like them apples?"

"the horror THE HORROR!"

"how
>>
>>25742714
ponies making horse noises are both strange and fitting, because their appearance is equine, but they can say words, like, why would they would be all of whinnies and neighs if they talk?
>>
>>25742120
these falls sure looks painful, its almost like, jumping out of the roof from your house
>>
File: Pony fucking dies.jpg (191 KB, 1920x1080) Image search: [Google]
Pony fucking dies.jpg
191 KB, 1920x1080
>>25745102
Every time they do something horse-like is great, to remind you that they are ponies after all. Sometimes I wish they would tune down all the human poses and gestures in exchange for a couple horsey ones. Do you watch MAS? I love how Greg works with the ponies' body language. That's something not even the show does. Or well, not as often.
>>
This one was pretty decent. Would have been fun to see her be retarded from running into trees though.
>>
>>25745347
bucking appletrees with her head?
don't be silly anon, thats not how horses do it
>>
>>25745395
Which is weird because it was Fausts idea.
>>
>>25745334
horse gestures are a good thing, i feel like they should always had done it instead of human poses even if they did that because its easier to read them.
>>
>>25745414
that would be extremely painful
>>
>>25742264
>when Rainbow Dash, Pinkie Pie, and Fluttershy interrupt Twilight's speech they all have a little piece of BGM that fits them, it's one of those little details that brings the show to life. You might not have noticed it, but your brain did.

id wish they would turn up the volume of it quite a notch, because its hard to notice the BGM of MLP-FIM
>>
File: pinkienoclip.gif (702 KB, 253x277) Image search: [Google]
pinkienoclip.gif
702 KB, 253x277
>>25745415
Yeah. Keep the somewhat human facial expressions, but the poses and gestures should stay true to their anatomy. Once ponies (except Ponka because she just does whatever the fuck she wants) start sitting down to shrug their shoulders and such, it becomes too weird.
>>
>>25745427
For you.
>>
>>25742264
>Applejack is made of dark matter" meme
Oh man, from when pony school presentations weren't made of cringe?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=muVfidujxRg

I wonder if this guy regrets what he brought forth unto this world.
>>
>>25745472
yes, its painful because the last time i hit my head, it really hurt.
just imagine having all your own weight for hitting your head into a tree.
>>
>>25745491
i still think about bringing ponies into my presentation
>>
>>25745525
but they would be totally on topic for it
>>
File: applejack related.jpg (226 KB, 960x720) Image search: [Google]
applejack related.jpg
226 KB, 960x720
>>25745579
yes if we are talking about applejack
>>
>>25745491
Not gonna lie, that video is pretty nostalgic.

>>25745663
What the fuck?
>>
>>25745334
>>25745415
>>25745466
They still do equine poses quite a lot, I think the human poses doomsayers are exaggerating a bit. Expressive ears did seem to go down a bit in S3 and S4 I think, but they came back in force in S5, and we've also had quite some horse noises again, the last in the finale. Also, for example, horses do actually sit pretty much like in the show.

I agree that the show should try to avoid human poses, but I don't think it's as bad as some people claim, and if they would actually restrict themselves to pure horse anatomy, half of the stuff they do wouldn't be possible at all, which applies to pretty much every cartoon ever with human anatomy, too.

I haven't seen MAS, though, so I can't comment on that.
>>
File: sitting_horse.jpg (289 KB, 1024x768) Image search: [Google]
sitting_horse.jpg
289 KB, 1024x768
>>25746741
God damnit.
>>
>>25746741
>human poses doomsayers

I don't know why but I laughed
>>
File: 920425.gif (1 MB, 1126x659) Image search: [Google]
920425.gif
1 MB, 1126x659
>>25746741
I know that it's a popular opinion around here but I wasn't asserting that they're going overboard with the human poses too much and it somehow worsens the quality of the show. I'd just like more horsey ponies. You can never have enough of them.
Partially I think it's also because the animation improved - compare early episodes to S4 and S5 and you can see that the animators have more time/budget/skill to do better and wackier animations. So while the motto of S1 seemed more like keep it simple, readable and cheap, later on they realize they have the opportunities to make greater things, and so the expressions changed - more detailed, more... cartoony, I guess.

Check out some of the latest MAS videos - keep in mind this is a completely one man project with a new ep each month, so it's still quite simple. Throughout the years the characters have a established backstory to them, so don't worry if not everything makes sense.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ECYWEoehxKw
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GauuDCtfnJk
>>
bump for mericans
>>
>>25741944
bump b4 bed
>>
One last bump
>>
File: compacttwi.png (488 KB, 1365x768) Image search: [Google]
compacttwi.png
488 KB, 1365x768
I'll bump this too, y'all need to watch your S1 episodes
Eventually don't forget to participate in the total episode ranking we have going in another thread
>>
Ya'know I used to see all the stuff on here about S1 being some mighty gift from the heavens which God waved his mighty dick at enchanting it to cure blindness and leprosy, and just brush it off as people nostalgic for the good old days. But rewating it now for the first time in a while (last time was a few months before S4, funny to think that was over two years ago now) and the difference is definitely palpable. I didn't really notice because every other time I watched it I hadn't watched any pone in a while and I was watching the whole thing within a week or two. Over all S1 does have a more simplistic charm than any other season, we didn't fall in love with a show that had these dark time travel plot lines or depicted some nation crippling war we fell in love with a show for little girls. It wasn't trying to impress us, it was just trying to show us that friendship is magic.
>>
>>25748910
I feel you, man. The show has definitely gotten more grandiose and a bit darker, I think mostly due to the influence of the fandom. I don't think it's a totally bad thing but it does take away some of the pure charm of the earlier episodes.
Thread replies: 50
Thread images: 17

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.