[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
0083 BD
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /m/ - Mecha

Thread replies: 35
Thread images: 5
File: 0083 sdm.png (2 MB, 1440x1080) Image search: [Google]
0083 sdm.png
2 MB, 1440x1080
So now that the stardust has settled, and if you've used [EG]'s BD release as a chance to rewatch it, maybe not for the first time, what's your verdict on 0083?
I know we still have a thread about the release up, but this thread can be solely about discussion of the OVA series itself, and not EG's release.

These are my impressions coming immediately off rewatching the series on BD, after previously only having watched both the series and movie once.

Personally, I thought the first 7 episodes were absolutely fantastic, I really enjoyed it all. I know a lot of people don't like Kelly, but I liked his mini-arc and the fight against him was good. But beyond the first 7 episodes, I feel as though it definitely got worse. The fight between GP01Fb and GP02 in episode 10 was definitely one of the series' highest points in my opinion, and they ought to have found a point to end it there. But episodes 11, 12, and 13 in particular were quite bad, I did not enjoy them very much. The soundtrack felt very meh during the final three episodes, causing moments that should have been thrilling or full of excitement to come across very flat and poorly.
I don't like the direction the story went toward the end either, and the overall direction just felt worse, though I know this can be attributed to the change in director after episode 7.

There were a lot of details that I got this time that I wouldn't have gotten if I didn't read or know about some of the side material, like how the Mobile Suit Cima thanks the people on the Moon for is actually the one she pilots at the end, the Gerbera Tetra, and how it was actually a scrapped fourth unit of the GD Project.

1/2, post too long it seems.
>>
The art and animation, despite the less than optimal quality of the BDs (EG's thread should still be up, there's some info there >>13953925) it still looked amazing, leagues ahead of the DVDs. All of the Mobile Suits looked fantastic, be it clean or battle damaged. The Zakus, Rick Doms, Gelgoogs, GM Customs all looked brilliant. The GP01Fb Zephyranthes is still one of my favourites, and while the Dendrobium in itself isn't something I like too much, the Stamen is also an unfortunately underused and underrated Gundam.

A lot of the common gripes, like Nina's character in general, or how Cima's betrayal was underdeveloped, never really bothered me before, and it didn't bother me this time either. The roots of Cima's behaviour were implied I could accept it, it made sense from my perspective. And while I just want to point out there were hints at Gato & Nina's relationship earlier on in the series than people usually claim, I could kind of understand Nina's actions in the end, and I still don't particularly hate her. I continue to be upset by Gato's fate, but Zeon always gets the short end of the stick, I find.

Overall, I'd still say it's a good series that excels in it's first half, and I enjoyed the first part enough that the latter half didn't quite sour the entire experience. You can poke a lot of holes in its story and some of the characters, but you can do the same with any Gundam series. Is it one of the best parts of Gundam franchise? No, not really. Is it still worth watching? Absolutely - the gorgeous animation, art and mecha designs make it well worth the 6 or so hours you'll spend on it, despite whatever gripes you have with the plot or characters.

I know no one really cares but I figured I'd get my thoughts out there anyway, and there might be Anons out there that'd want to do the same

And yes, Snapfag-kun, I know you'll post ITT and I do know that you think 0083 is shit
>>
>>13974528
>Is it still worth watching? Absolutely - the gorgeous animation, art and mecha designs make it well worth the 6 or so hours you'll spend on it, despite whatever gripes you have with the plot or characters.

I like you. Plotfags can eat a dick.
>>
>>13974524
>I thought the first 7 episodes were absolutely fantastic
I have no idea how people can hold this opinion. The ONLY good thing about 0083 is the space battles, which are all in the second half. The writing is moronic from start to finish.
>>
>>13974540
>I have no idea how people can hold this opinion.
They were fun to watch, and there were quite a few good battles in them too.

>0083 is the space battles
Eh, I'd like to disagree with you on that. They were good but not the best part in my opinion.
>>
It's a nice thing to look at. No value beyond that.
>>
0083 remains a series I want to like, love even, yet it has clear flaws that I simply cannot forgive, most notably in its characters. The plot and lead-in to the end are all fine with me, interesting even...

But Kou, Nina, and Gato are all insufferable in their own ways.

1. Kou's rookie immaturity just isn't endearing in this, but that is the least of the flaws. He does get more backbone as the show goes on, yet never truly comes across as quite the hero he could/should IMHO. Despite his best efforts... and his handling of the relationship with Nina are absolutely infuriating.

2. Enough has been said about Nina over the years. She's indecisive, backstabs both Kou and Gato in a sense, and makes Kou's relationship insecurities just as infuriating. Kou shouldn't want anything to do with her after 13.

3. Gato is a tool. He had the potential to be the best character, yet remains an underdeveloped and poorly written Zeon propaganda tool rather than a fully developed three dimensional villain. They should have further developed his thoughts and feelings on Zeon and the Zabis rather than portraying him as blindly loyal. He only once shows the slightest tinge of doubt and yet this is never further touched upon. Missed opportunities everywhere with Gato.
>>
>>13974540

I don't know how anyone can even enjoy the fight scenes. They were animated nicely sure, but holy fuck they're so uncreative and BORING. I don't know why Zeta takes up all the beam spam complaints when there was some actual decent choreography going on here and there.
>>
>>13974524
bdmv master race.
>>
>>13974729
Boring? These are suppose to be realistic war machines, not guys in suits doing wonderfully crafted choreographed fight scenes.
>>
>>13974729
>choreography
>>
>>13974524
Wait, people don't like Kelly? Why? Best part.
>>
Not gonna lie, a great OP and ED/good soundtrack + good animation can make any shit show bearable.
>>
File: Albion launch pan.jpg (770 KB, 3133x1096) Image search: [Google]
Albion launch pan.jpg
770 KB, 3133x1096
I took the time to stitch together some panned screenshots (with an automated tool) back when only the BD of the 0083 movie was available.

Albion best ship.
>>
>>13974764
He was kind of a throwaway character and it was silly how he wasted the Val Varo in some pitiful honor duel.
>>
>>13974751

Why ufotable

Just why ;_;
>>
>>13974875
>great OP and ED/good soundtrack + good animation can make any shit show bearable.
OP here, I agree. Music is an incredibly important part of any form of media for me, because if used effectively it can make a good scene so much better, and a bad show much more enjoyable.

Like >>13974729 said, the fight scenes with the Dendrobium Stamen in the last two episodes aren't very enjoyable at all, in fact they made me just feel tired and on edge, a lot like Kou felt during them, so if that's what they were going for good on them, but I highly doubt it was intentional. The reason being not only how uncreative they were, but, like I mentioned in the OP, how poorly used the soundtrack was. The fights themselves were well animated but I wasn't invested in them (and the show at that point) at all, nothing pumped me up and it didn't impart the sense of urgency I assume they were going for.
The earlier fights had a great soundtracks behind them, the fight between GP01Fb and GP02 being a good example. Without good music I might as well be watching a muted webm of the scene.

On the other hand, 0079 the series and Encounters in Space in particular did an especially great job at using the music effectively. The music when Amuro fights Char in the Zeong made it that much better.
Kamille vs Scirocco.
The Reinforce Jr.
All memorable moments highlighted by good music.
>>
>>13974524
Someone needs to panel line those mouth vents.
>>
>>13974875
Pushed through HD SEED and Destiny thanks to this.
>>
>>13974919
wait, ufotable is doing godeater? shit, I better get on that
>>
>>13975609
What? The soundtrack maybe but animation? Heh.
>>
I don't know how Stardust Memory gets shit on due to it's 'bad' plot, and yet F91 is fucking jerked off due to "MUH ANIMATION", when F91 feels like a bad condensed movie version of the series that never was, and yes, I know that is what it was, but good lord, spend some time to make it a movie. Cause good lord the pacing in that was fucking awful.
>>
>>13975664
F91's release was rushed to the point that even cutting it into a 'decent movie' would eat into their dwindling budget and production time. IIRC, Tomino himself was in the cutting room up until the last minute.
>>
>>13974907
That'd look so much better without the shitty Bandai master and its crushed blacks by the overblown contrast.
>>
>>13975664
Because while F91 has a badly structured plot there's something in there that people actually like, characters that seem like they'd actually be interesting.

Meanwhile 0083 is a show where every single character is an unlikeable social retard.
>>
>>13975699
>an unlikeable social retard.
Hyperbole
>>
>>13975699
>Keith and Amazoness
>BURNING-chuuni
>how Kelly got his groove back
Not every one.
>>
>>13975699
>Because while F91 has a badly structured plot there's something in there that people actually like, characters that seem like they'd actually be interesting.

I am trying to think of a way to describe the two MC's and I can't tell you their personalities at all.

F91 is a fucking trainwreck. I will never understand the circle jerk over it. It's a unfinished thing and I don't find the promise of it interesting at all.
>>
>>13975647
Destiny remasters actually look alright. SEED looks godawful.

Speaking of ufotable, they worked on SEED's CG
>>
>>13974744
>These are suppose to be realistic war machines
oh anon
>>
>>13976368
0083 is slightly more realistic than usual, seeing how its missing the inclusion of pilots with magical powers (newtypes).
>>
>>13976378
>>>/k/
>>
File: 1446695733125.jpg (40 KB, 353x357) Image search: [Google]
1446695733125.jpg
40 KB, 353x357
>>13974524
I really just wanted Kou to go full badass man mode just once.
He really didn't and like >>13974692 said
I don't really see Kou and Nina getting back together as something that makes any sense
also what >>13975459 said
they really lacked any amazing songs for when Kou was fighting in the Dendrobium
so the Dendrobium never really felt like the huge upgrade it was supposed to be to me
>>
>>13974524
best UC arc
>>
>>13974528
>And yes, Snapfag-kun, I know you'll post ITT and I do know that you think 0083 is shit

Yeah it's shit for a lot of reasons but I can't even remember most of them cause I saw it a couple weeks ago and it left no real impression on me.

btw the only reason I'm responding was because I heard I was mentioned. Was hoping for more of an argument.
Thread replies: 35
Thread images: 5

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.