[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
>The White Base, the mothership of the protagonist crew members,
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /m/ - Mecha

Thread replies: 43
Thread images: 7
File: white base.jpg (47 KB, 400x294) Image search: [Google]
white base.jpg
47 KB, 400x294
>The White Base, the mothership of the protagonist crew members, is designed with a 3 plane view method by Kunio Okawara, however, it is not specially designed for the anime series Gundam, it was actually a salvaged design from the anime Invincible Steel Man Daitarn 3. The idea of having a space carrier from Tomino is partly inspired by the earlier science fiction anime Space Battleship Yamato, in which he claimed to be a fan of. It was intended to be in a more realistic black colour, but was changed to white by the order of Sunrise, similar to the colour change of the main mecha Gundam was changed from a grayish white to white, red, blue and yellow. Director Tomino showed great disgust in the colour change, also noticing the unrealistic non-aerodynamic design of it after the show was on air, said in an interview that such design would never appear in the real world, since it would be a sitting duck from fighter aircraft. Tomino still held a grudge 10 years after the show aired and stated in an interview in Newtype 1989 April issue that the imaginary enemies of Gundam are Sunrise, sponsors and television stations.

Was Tomino right, /m/?
>>
>>14494598
Tomino doesn't get to talk about shit like proper air combat tactics or the plausible validity of a certain shape of spacecraft that can also operate in atmosphere.

The White Base is more like a 'UFO' than anything, it doesn't fly it floats using technology we do not have even in the present day
>>
Other than the stupid fucking surfboard, I think the white base's design is the thing I dislike the most about the original gundam, it's like a sphinx.
>>
>>14494598
Thunder! Thunder! Thunder! Thunder cats! Hoooooo!
>>
It really was fucking grotesque
>>
>>14494598
>tries to make a more realistic robot anime
>ends up being a by the books super robot anime
>tries to fix it in the movies
>they turn out terrible
Is that why UC Gundam anime get progressively more "super robot" as the universe goes on?.
>>
White Base? More like White Brick.
>>
http://gundam.wikia.com/wiki/Pegasus-class_mobile_suit_carrier

The wiki page has a plausible explanation for why the pegasus class carrier have such a variance in appearance as each new craft was featured in the franchise.

Should soothe people who get antsy over it seeing as the ones after the first few get more and more 'realistic'
>>
WE'RE JUMPING ONTO WHITE BASE
>>
File: irish.jpg (43 KB, 400x243) Image search: [Google]
irish.jpg
43 KB, 400x243
Why is white base so bad, yet all the ships from Zeta gundam are so good?
>>
>>14495521
They got someone else to do it, didn't they?
>>
>>14494762

>flight 1 pegasus class ships were Pegasus, White Base, and White Base Jr.

>White Base Jr.

seriously?
>>
>>14495540
What is White Base Jr from?
>>
>>14494598
For once I completely agree with Tomino.
>>
>>14495521
>no hangar space
at least the Salamis Kai has a bulked out nose for the MS bays.
>>
>>14494702
Victory and F91 toned it down a bit,with the later's special ability being "gotta go fast"
>>
>>14494634
>Other than the stupid fucking surfboard, I think the white base's design is the thing I dislike the most about the original gundam, it's like a sphinx.

It's more like a rocking horse than a sphinx or the western-glorified "white base". Actually rocking horse that's the name the ship is refered to in the Japanese dub. It's a very childish design more in line with what would appear in the super robot shows of the 1970s.
>>
File: Ptolemaios_II_Side_View.png (1 MB, 1023x345) Image search: [Google]
Ptolemaios_II_Side_View.png
1 MB, 1023x345
>>14494598
>want edgy black super cool ship for my gandum
>meany producer-san says kids won't watch my monochromatic show
>he rips up my crayon drawing of Black Killer Base 5000
>cry softly into my Yuki Mori dakimakura for the next 10 years every time I receive a royalties cheque

so now that we know Tomino is autistic, let's have a /ship/ thread. I'll start.
>>
>In another interview, Tomino said the following:
>"I think we should just, like, make stuff up on 4chan."
>"We should just, you know, make up some boring long winded story about an interview or something."
>"Then we'll just post it as greentext as if it's an excerpt from something, but we won't cite a source or anything, because we'll just make it up, you know?"
>"It'll be the ultimate troll, we'll spend so much time writing some bullshit story and no one will take the bait."
What do you think Tomino meant by that?
>>
File: 34536_200904020246581CLzW.jpg (472 KB, 1600x1323) Image search: [Google]
34536_200904020246581CLzW.jpg
472 KB, 1600x1323
>>14495702
I like the big ship from Wing, looks like it could actually hold most of the cast of a SRW game.

Apparently it even has like a million beam cannons.
>>
File: sdf1.png (203 KB, 1000x352) Image search: [Google]
sdf1.png
203 KB, 1000x352
>>
>>14495709
It doesn't help especially when concerning the Yamato part. While he did provide storyboards for one episode, he doesn't care very much for the series otherwise though Nishizaki and the show's success did serve as sort of an influence to him.

http://patrickmacias.blogs.com/er/2010/11/farewell-to-yoshinobu-nishizaki-tomino-dishes-on-the-nish.html#comments
>>
>>14495709
>>14495860
(you) mad?
>>
>>14495867
Nope, just clearing things up a bit :)
>>
>>14494598
>non-aerodynamic design

What the fuck does this matter for a space-faring craft that spends a significant amount of time in space anyway?
>>
>>14495721
I still think the Dolos is an animation error where they had it flipped upside down and just never bothered to correct it.
>>
>>14495521
>>14495524

based Nagano
>>
>>14495900
Also, does color even matter in space?
>>
>>14496815
visibility and camouflage

bright white is one of the worse choices because it reflects more light than other colors would

in general (and also definitely applying to gundam) we usually detect objects in space not by radar or anything, but by the light/energy it gives off. white reflects more than a darker paint job would
>>
>>14495702
>posting the worst Ptolemy
>>
>>14495709
https://books.google.com/books?id=B9FEDAAAQBAJ&pg=PA208&lpg=PA208&dq=The+White+Base,+the+mothership+of+the+protagonist+crew+members,+is+designed+with+a+3+plane+view+method+by+Kunio+Okawara,+however,+it+is+not+specially&source=bl&ots=-NVIPpQ24w&sig=BopPqJP-1A7wzR3037fXO1znrOI&hl=en&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwiVn-KNtfTNAhVBMyYKHRRPBBEQ6AEIIjAB#v=onepage&q=The%20White%20Base%2C%20the%20mothership%20of%20the%20protagonist%20crew%20members%2C%20is%20designed%20with%20a%203%20plane%20view%20method%20by%20Kunio%20Okawara%2C%20however%2C%20it%20is%20not%20specially&f=false

There's your sauce faggot.
>>
>>14496828
Except this little thing called blackbody radiation exists
>>
>>14495560
Victory 2's special ability was basically just built in giant beam swords.

>>14495521
The runways and catapults always bugged me. How do the suits not just float off when they flex their legs?
>>
>>14495721
How does something as big as the Libra function without rings like the Jupitris or even some kind of legit artificial gravity?
>>
>>14496970
The catapults have latches?
>>
The White Base looks like it should transfrom, but never does
>>
>>14494598
I always thought about this too, but as >>14494618 said it floats and manuvers differently than other war ships. It's design can be seen as experimental as we're all the weaponry that came out of the war factory of development when we first saw the series orginate.

Personally the design is really open to fire from fighters. I think it can challangrd with antiaircraft guns postion ed correctly though.
>>
File: miracles up in this bitch.png (248 KB, 584x378) Image search: [Google]
miracles up in this bitch.png
248 KB, 584x378
>>14496970
>How do the suits not just float off when they flex their legs?

Mother
Fuckin'
Miracles
>>
>>14494598
>we will never have a gundam where a bald guy in shades fights off corporations, aristocrats and their puppets in the mainstream media using a giant metal war machine

Why even watch Gundam anymore?
>>
I like the White Base, and the redesign for Origin. Are the model kits big enough to at least put HG Guncannon and Guntank on it?
>>
>>14495721
>Meteor: 99m
>Eternal: 300m
Yet the Meteors are just tiny rotating turrets on the front of the Eternal.
>>
File: Isaribi.png (147 KB, 616x350) Image search: [Google]
Isaribi.png
147 KB, 616x350
>>
>>14497274
Gundam Sousei was close except for the war machine part.
Thread replies: 43
Thread images: 7

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.