[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
How would Evas do against something like Zeta-era gundam tech?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /m/ - Mecha

Thread replies: 79
Thread images: 10
File: 20070305-resize.jpg (104 KB, 500x323) Image search: [Google]
20070305-resize.jpg
104 KB, 500x323
How would Evas do against something like Zeta-era gundam tech?
We all know Eva-02 would die to OYW suits but that about 00 and 01?
>>
File: gundam vs eva.jpg (52 KB, 640x480) Image search: [Google]
gundam vs eva.jpg
52 KB, 640x480
>>14489795

Depends whether you rule beam weapons as being able to penetrate AT Fields. On the one hand the Positron Cannon was able to do it (once) but that was a weapon designed specifically for anti-Angel combat.

UC beam weapons were designed to fight against conventional opponents, aka not things that warp the laws of physics around them. So there is a pretty good chance that the AT Field would stil be very effective at stopping beam weapons.

Regardless, Evas are much larger than mobilesuits. Assuming comparable armor materials, what would insta-kill a MS will likely nee to be used multiple times to bring down an Eva just based on the sheer goddamn size of the thing, and thats presuming it gets past the AT Field in the first place.

On the flip side, I imagine any weapon an Eva carries would squish a mobilesuit on a hit. Consider the size of the casings ejected from the chain gun used by Shinji against laser-squid. If a bullet of that size hits a mobilesuit, its take off a pretty damn big chuck of the suit, or at the very least sending the poor MS for a ride.

So I would say that the MS has the advantage of longer operation time and some flight, but that's about it. Evas can run at the speed of sound in a pinch, so the Gundam cannot effortlessly run away, and the Gundam seriously cannot afford to be taking hits from guns that large.

Its not an impossible fight for the Gundam to win, just a goddamn terrifying one with little margin for error.
>>
>>14489885
Then it would probably be easy for anything F91 and beyond to beat an Eva since they're smaller, faster, and focus on penetrating weapons.
>>
>>14489885
Beams are effective, but you need this much.
>>
Depends if by Zeta era tech you mean the newtype stuff
Sperging on a biosensor seems like a good way to get past the AT field
>>
>>14489914

They would have the best chances, yes. But they also have greater risks, because by F91 they basically stop using armor at all because they know armor is worthless against beams.

They have better dodge ability, but the moment they fail to dodge anything they would crumple like a tin can.
>>
>>14489947

> bringing a Newtype to an Eva fight

Oh god, why would you do that?

Evas are the same class of being as Angels, just cyborged up. If you recall, making mental contact with an Angel was always shown as being horrifyingly mindrapey in the show when it came up.

And the AT Field is an extension of the soul of the Eva made manifest.

A newtype in the presence of an AT Field would probably feel like they were dying. The Evas soul is just so, so much bigger then they are. Enough soul to soak a nuclear weapon by willpower alone.

I can't think of any Newtype shennanigan that compares to the sheer brute force of the AT Field in terms of power. if they try and make mental contact with THAT, they can trade in their brain for a plate of scrambled eggs.
>>
>>14489968
Well there's Nu, Hi-Nu, Sazabi, and Nightingale.
>>
>>14489914
Unicorn probably has a better chance with all its newtype hax.
>>
>>14489968
>Enough soul to soak a nuclear weapon by willpower alone.
That's small potatoes compared to moving Axis.
>>
>>14489795
Mountain level is what's necessary to damage an Eva's AT field.

If a Gundam can output damage higher than that then it will damage the Eva.

Also Gundams tend to be MUCH faster
>>
File: unit02run.jpg (79 KB, 740x400) Image search: [Google]
unit02run.jpg
79 KB, 740x400
>>14490122

Do they? I am sure they have a higher speed in space and all, but I don't recall them being especially fast on land.

The Eva might not seem like it is moving very fast, but you to remember their scale. Even stuck using just their legs, their stride is much longer than a Gundams.

Any Gundam with a jet pack or the like might be able to outfly them, but no Gundam on the ground can outrun them. Its just not physically possible.
>>
File: YF19_Fighter-GERWALK-Battroid.jpg (135 KB, 750x563) Image search: [Google]
YF19_Fighter-GERWALK-Battroid.jpg
135 KB, 750x563
>>14489795
Who cares. We VF-19's would wreck both of them.
>>
>>14489795
01 and 00 could easily beat them because they can use AT Fields. 02 on the other hand would definitely lose.
>>
>>14489968
But newtypes can UNDERSTAND, I wouldn't expect that much from the eva pilots. Asuka definitely didn't understand, she can't even do interpersonal shit.
>>
>>14490301

And attempting to understand an Eva would lead to their downfall.

If a normal human soul is a raindrop, a Newtype is probably a small cup of water. The exact size of the cup varies based on individual strength, but thats about the range you are in.

An Eva would be a lake. Something like Lilith or Adam is an ocean.

Thats the difference in scale.
>>
>>14489795
>My favorite eva is the shittiest one
goddammit , fucking prototype rules of anime
>>
>>14489885
I don't think your average beam rifle shot has the entire power of Japan focused into one narrow beam.
>>
>>14489885
>Eva's are larger than MSes

OK, say that we rule the Evas as 40m, the way people have calculated for the TV show. And then the enemy mobile suit is one of the larger ones, like Psyco Gundam, which clocks about 40m as well.

Would Eva's still win without size advantage?
>>
>>14490122
No, Evas are alot faster, they operate like superhumans on a much larger scale.

They run like gigantic Kenyans.
>>
File: jimross1018.png (640 KB, 800x800) Image search: [Google]
jimross1018.png
640 KB, 800x800
>>14490337
Couldn't an Eva pick up a Psycho Gundam and body slam it?
>>
aren't gundams much much more technological advanced that Evas?

apart from the deus ex shield evas should be fucked.
>>
>>14490364
Eva units are gigantic cyborgs, made from cloning giant alien gods then sticking a bunch of cybernetics in them to make the things controllable.

Technology doesn't work in 'levels', this is a whole different branch of gigantic humanoid battle machines.
>>
>>14490364
There's not much technology involved in an Eva, tbqh.
It's essentially a superhuman dude, upscaled to gigantic size, with Lovecraftian powers, wearing a suit of armor.
The entry plug system and the power source for the core is all there is.

If the Eva has an S2 engine, tho - it solos the UC verse.
>>
>>14490337

At that point it comes down to whether or not the AT Field is an effective defense. If the AT Field offers even partial protection (like when it was keeping Ramiel's beam from obliterating Unit 01 even if it could not stop it entirely) then the Eva might be able to get close enough to just tear the Gundam apart.

If the AT Field just straight up doesn't work, then the psycho Gundam has enough firepower that it can almost certainly bring down the Eva. Normal form, anyway. Berserk Evas are just straight up plot bullshit, so not a lot of sense in bringing them into powerlevel discussions.

The only other thing I can think of that might be in the Eva's favor is the nature of pilot training for both sides. If we assume both units just get dropped into range of each other and neither side knows the capabilities of the other, depending on when in the series it takes place the Eva pilots might have a tactical advantage there. Gundams are built to fight enemy soldiers. With a few special exceptions, you generally know what the enemy is capable of. Its why everyone in Gundam panics the moment they see an unfamiliar MS, they don't know what they are dealing with yet and that gets people killed.

Eva pilots, in comparison, never fucking know what the hell they are fighting until they are already in the thick of it. Maybe today is the day they have to fight an Angel shoots a ray that turns things into snakes. That's just a problem they will have to deal with. And they usually do.

Basically, Gundams spec for mobs and Evangelions spec for nothing but boss fights. I could see that giving an advantage when it comes to surviving the opening blows between enemies that have no intel on each other.

Whether its enough of one comes down to circumstance.
>>
>>14490319
>implying the episode wouldn't be called "Banagher Makes a Big Friend."

Besides, the evas have human souls anyway.
>>
File: 1268556756662.jpg (325 KB, 430x3678) Image search: [Google]
1268556756662.jpg
325 KB, 430x3678
>>14490390
Bannanas is a shit
>>
>>14490326
Don't worry, Mari can make 02 fight worth a damn.
>>
>>14490390

Wait.

If we are saying that Newtype powers and AT Fields are even remotely compatible...

What the fuck happens to a Newtype that gets caught in the area of effect of an Eva using its 'neutralization' power? The one they use to shut down enemy AT Fields?

Does the Newtype just become unable to use any newtype powers, or do they end up brain retarded like Kamille?
>>
>>14490152
Maybe God Gundam could.
>>
>>14489795
All a gundam has to do is cut an Eva's power cable.
>>
>>14490425

And then survive the next five minutes, which is highly suspect because an Eva is faster than most Gundams and has a weapons range of at least as long, if not longer.

If the Gundam is close enough to hit the cable, the Eva is close enough to shoot back at the Gundam.
>>
>>14490409
NGE mentioned things like mental contamination, toxicity, and psycho-hazard cordons around Angel corpses. None of it went anywhere but it named them.
>>
>>14490449
Evangelion takes place in a setting where the concept of a soul is scientific fact, among other spiritualism-made-superscientific things.

It would be safe to assume that trying to link minds and souls in the Newtype fashion could cause Newtype Nonsense to overload and enter Brick-Shitting Weirdness territory.
>>
>>14490409
I always understood it as the eva subconsciously making it's own AT field resonate with the Angel's AT field, balancing out and thus "nullifying."
It's not a big deal because Newtypes can rarely project AT field level psychofields anyway. Except Banana, and the only reason he did that was to stop a Ramiel-level beam weapon, I doubt he'd do it against an eva.
>>
>>14490460
Evangelion is a setting where ego keeps people from exploding into Capri Sun.
>>
>>14490460

Thats... actually a really interesting thought. Terrifying, but interesting.

Nerv probably knows more about how Newtypes work than Newtypes do themselves. Even if they don't at first, they can just 'pop the hood' so to speak on a Newtype and actually observe their soul to see what makes them tick.

They can detect the soul, observe it, move it around, copy/paste it, and even cut specific parts out of it for solitary transplant. If Newtype abilities are in any way soul related, Nerv could crack that code in no time flat.

They would probably just classify it as Humans with unusually active AT Fields. Maybe give it a new color of field pattern in the database.
>>
>>14490018
This, only an RX-0 derivative with a damned good newtype has a hope.
>>
>>14490496
Here's a thought: the angels encountered in Evangelion are in fact their corresponding physiology's equivalent of humanity's newtypes.

The events of Evangelion are nothing more than the infinite possible manifestations of newtype potential across the infinite possible manifestations of "humanity" attempting to assert themselves as a dominant race.
>>
>>14489968
>Oh god, why would you do that?

For the simple fact that a Newtype can theoretically (since we're crossing the pseudo-science from two different series here) produce enough thought noise to jam an Eva pilot's thought controls.

Size, strength, and the AT Field don't matter if you can't move. Or, in an extreme case, something like Unicorn hijacks your unit and makes you kill yourself.
>>
I know nothing about eva so what happens if tye minovsky particles start screwing with the eva cybernetics? Like if the V2 fight an eva and uses it's wing of light at maximum output or something like that. Does the giant monster goes berserk or simply stop moving?
>>
>>14490537

> Banager uses the psychoframe to try to assert control over an Eva remotely
> Banager has too much psychoframe. His connection is super, super strong.
> Too strong, in fact
> Banager hits 400% Synch Ratio and explodes into tang

Good job, Banager.
>>
>>14490551
Wouldn't he just be Banana cream at that point?
>>
>>14490551
>tang

>implying he doesn't suddenly erupt into neon green rock candy

muffled screams of ARE YOU THERE can be heard emanating from the cockpit
>>
>>14490545

The Eva is, technically, capable of functioning perfectly fine without any of the equipment built into it. All of that cybernetics and armor is there to restrain and control the Eva, to keep it dormant and allow the pilot to maintain control.

So if you successfully jam all of the electronics in an Eva, the pilot won't be able to make it move. In that respect, the Eva is shut down.

But all of Nerv's safeguards to keep the Eva from going berserk are likewise turned off. This doesn't mean that the Eva *will* go berserk, just that there is significantly less preventing it from doing so.

My guess is that it would certainly stop moving at first, but if you get unlucky it might wake up on you. Attacking it in such a 'vulnerable' state would be probably the worst plan, because that is exactly the sort of stimulus that is likely to prompt it to wake up mad as hell.

Your best bet is to jam it and shut it down, and then surround it and get the pilot out of there rather than attack it head on. Hopefully, you don't panic the pilot so much that them freaking out wakes up mom. Just take it nice and slow. Play some soothing music over the radio.
>>
>>14489795
>How would Evas do against something like Zeta-era gundam tech?

You do understand that an EVA can initiate a world wide apocalyse don't you ? Gundam tech is not even in the same league. Maybe Turn A tech can compete but the Moonlight Butterfly doesn't turn people into goo, it just destroys machines.
>>
>>14490577
>don't spoil the fun
>>
>>14490577
Special one-of-a-kind circumstances.
It can't do that at the drop of a hat and you know it.
Gundam vs EVA. Just EVA, no Adam/Lillith/Eva hybrid. U a bullshit nigga.
>>
>>14490650

Isn't basically every Newtype power beyond 'unrealistically good reaction time' a special one of a kind thing too?

Most of Unicorns tricks it only ever pulled off once. Same goes for the rest of the noteable newtypes.
>>
>>14490674
Third Impact is flatout not in the capability of an Eva on it's own.

Everything the Unicorn does in the ova is well within the capability of the suit when paired with a newtype pilot. Except blocking the colony laser, you need two unicorns for that. There's no feasible reason that the Unicorn's feats would be one offs as you implied.
>>
>>14490738
> Third Impact is flatout not in the capability of an Eva on it's own.

It is in Rebuild. All Unit 01 needed to start the Near-3rd Impact was Shinji being pushed too far.
>>
>>14490751
It still fused with an angel.
>>
>>14490209
This, Macross tech trumps both.
>>
File: Yamato.png (221 KB, 628x344) Image search: [Google]
Yamato.png
221 KB, 628x344
>>14490566
Why more people haven't made the connection that Banagher's RX-0 unit is basically Gundam's EVA-01 I don't know, and before you start-
>Can only be piloted by one person due to genetics reasons
>Ends up in a godlike state at the end of the series
>Goes berserk numerous times
>Pilot is reluctant to fight (although not a Daddy pleasing wuss like Shinji)
>Is meant to kill similarly powerful MS
>The fucking Horn
I could go on but what I already typed is autistic enough.

>>14490908
Macross ain't shit next to this fucking thing
>pic related
>>
Would the Eva's positron rifle do anything?
Because I remember it being crap in the show.
>>
>>14491700

If the Eva's positron rifle hits a Gundam, that gundam is dead. No ifs, ands or buts. Anti beam coating and I-fields wouldn't even provide any defense, because those are specific to minovsky beam weapons.

The positron cannon shoots positrons, a form of antimatter. If the beam hits, the very armor of the gundam that it makes contact with will turn into pure energy and explode.

Given the size and duration of the beam, anything but the most glancing of hits would erase the Gundam entirely. On a direct hit, you wouldn't even be able to describe it as being vaporized, because that implies some of the material that made up the Gundam survived as a gas.

And this is the sort of weapon that has less than a 50/50 success rate against Angels. Because Angels are no joke.

Basically anything capable of hurting an Angel is a weapon of incredibly dangerous power against any other opponent.
>>
>>14491700
Do you mean Nerv's own Karasawa-looking prototype? Because that's hard to say when only Asuka ever used it and only Shinji ever shot anything to death. It blew blocks of the city up pretty good.
>>
>>14491905
I mean this one, and I don't remember it ever being useful or powerful.
>>
>>14491851
>The positron cannon shoots positrons, a form of antimatter. If the beam hits, the very armor of the gundam that it makes contact with will turn into pure energy and explode.

If it shot positrons it'd probably react and go off due to debris in the air. More than likely it somehow fires a contained blast created from annihilation.

Next I suppose you'll be telling me the Archangel and Blue Frame 2nd L actually fire positrons and are just as dangerous because they both have positron cannons. And feat-wise it doesn't really even come close to the 00R in Trans-Am much less the 00Qan[T], which was carving up a moon-sized ELS from what is likely tens or hundreds of thousands of km away. Even the TSC vaporized an island and the TBR has at least twice the power of a gun that generates the same amount of power as a medium-sized AC city. The TV positron rifle was really not impressive and was about as powerful as a laser that was blocked by a space shuttle's heatshield.
>>
>>14491700
weaponry in Evangelion was shit
you think they would have developed something useful besides the lances but nope
>>
>>14491921
That's the one. Used to piss off Dance angel and then it couldn't reach Rapist, so it's most visible effect was her spazzing and shooting the ground.
>>
>>14489795
Isn't all the AT Fields manipulation shit all specific to 01 and the angels while 00 and 02 are physically not capable of doing it?
>>
>>14489968
It's sort of apples to oranges. You're comparing one series mind magic to another series. I imagine EVAs and Angels would at the very least get shaken up once you start brining Amuro level New Types into it. They'll grok the shit out of the Angels and take them to New Type heaven.
>>
>>14490319
New Types can draw power from a cosmic afterlife. What is size and physicality to NAKED AND FLOATING IN SPACE FOREVER?

New Types are a door to something much much larger than the Angel.
>>
>>14490375
>Lovecraftian

Lovecraft is so meme tier. Eva takes more from Theosophy and the New Age than from Weird Fiction.
>>
>>14490487
That's actually a big point. AT stuff likely won't work exactly the same way on humans not created from aliens. You can't tang UC humans because that's not how they work.
>>
>>14490511
But aren't angels in canon just black egg spawn?
>>
>>14490577
What exactly does third impact do? I never really got it. Does it just pop everyone's AT field? That won't work against UC humans.
>>
>>14492540

Take your Zeon rhetoric elsewhere, filthy spacenoid.

We have seen that Newtypes brains can get BTFO by psychic power they are overly sensitive too. Its what happened to Kamille that made him go full retard, and that was just facing another Newtype of similar power.

If you are going to pretend that Newtypes and AT Fields work on even remotely similar wavelengths, then its an outright fact that the AT Fields are stronger. There is nothing that Newtypes can do that AT Fields cannot also do, and waaaaaay more that AT Fields can do that Newtypes cannot.

Until you can show me a Newtype who, without access to Psychoframe or a mobilesuit of any kind, can use their Newtype power to survive a direct hit from a hydrogen bomb? Or who can create their own universes? Then Newtypes a shit. Just a bunch of kiddies playing in the shallow end of the pool, and imagining themselves kings of the sea because they got their feet wet.
>>
>>14492606

Depends on the Third Impact. Third Impact is a condition, not a specific event. Any time an Adam or Lilith-tier being is awake an active is an Impact Event.

First Impact was back when Adam and Lilith first arrived.

Second Impact was us waking up Adam.

Third Impact was Lilith waking up after being fused with what remained of Adam.

If the Angels had reached Adam and woken him up again by himself, thats also a Third Impact. Just a wildly different one than the one we got.

And Seele and Gendo both had plans for their own kinds of Third Impact, which sort of crashed into each other and ends up being what Shinji got.

So if you rule that UC humans don't have AT Fields and humans are not under Lilith's purview since they are not her creations, thats actually kiiiinda much worse for the UC humans.

Because Adam and Lilith are seeds of life. Their job is to land on planets, spread a planet wide super-AT field, and use that AT Field to reshape the planet to suit their needs and prepare it for a specific kind of life that they then populate the world with.

If a Third Impact event goes off on UC Earth, and none of the humans have AT Fields, none of them will ping as 'people' to her programming. When the AT Field shit goes down, they will just be treated as raw materials for the new world. And she won't try to save their souls, because she doesn't care about them because they are not Lilim.

Assuming she followed her original programming from the First Impact for lack of other input, you would end up with a prehistoric lilim paradise planet with nothing to suggest that the UC was ever there. No ruins, no survivors, no scraps of technology. Not even fossil evidence. The whole planet warped like magic into the new world.

The only scraps of civilization that would survive are space colonies far enough away to be outside of the area of effect. Jupiter certainly survives.

Not sure how Lilith would react to UC "people" trying to resettle Earth afterwards.
>>
>>14493182
>eva vs gundam (any gundam(psycoframes))
>not eva vs newtype baby dicks
>>
>>14492473
Yes, I believe so.
>>
>>14492473

Untrue. Shinji was just the best at it, owing to his higher Synch Ratio. We see Asuka use her AT Field as a weapon against some UN aircraft during EoE after her synch ratio spikes, and all three Evas combined their AT Fields to hold up the falling Angel.

The other Evas also frequently used their AT Fields to neutralize enemy AT fields.

Unit 01 just gets more flashy uses of its AT stuff because Shinji is the protagonist.
>>
I feel like the only mobile suits that have a chance going one-on-one with an Eva are the ones with hax abilities.
I'm probably thinking shit like the Turn A or the Devil Gundam, or maybe the Qan[t] since it can either destroy or communicate with an entire alien species single-handedly.
But I assume OP just means UC Gundams, so then the ones with the best chance are probably RX-0 units with powerful newtype pilots who can utilize all of their space bullshit to stand a chance against an Eva.
>>
>>14489795
Evas have terrible weapons so a Gundam would easily win.
>>
>>14494326

Eva weapons are not terrible, they just fight against way more difficult opponents than anything Gundam is used to.

Like, Zeruel would be an absolute massacre. Its debatable whether The feddies would ever figure out the secret to beating Israfel. Leliel is a universe, so good luck fighting THAT. Etc...
>>
>>14494373
Honestly any Eva weapon not a prog knife isn't effective.
>>
>>14496718
This.
>>
File: Positron Rifle missed shots.png (768 KB, 719x518) Image search: [Google]
Positron Rifle missed shots.png
768 KB, 719x518
>>14496718
>>14500183

Against Angels, sure.

But remember that shitty Positron Rifle that Nerv had? The one too weak to work against Ramiel, the one with too short a range to hit Arael in orbit, the one that we see Israfel tank shots from and take no damage in the process?

This is what happens when Asuka is getting mind raped and fires wildly. Each of those explosions is a single shot, fire in rapid succession.

Look how goddamn huge those explosions are, compared to the buildings around them. We are talking a city block blown to smithereens every time the trigger gets pulled.

Thats more than enough firepower to blow up a mobilesuit on a hit. Its enough to one-shot a small group of mobile suits easily, unless they were spread out. And while Arael was too far away, we do see it shoot into low earth orbit from a standing position on the ground.

Gundam has weapons that can compare, but not a lot of them. And most of the ones that do are mounted on either battleships or mobile armors.
Thread replies: 79
Thread images: 10

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.