[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Am I dumb because I just now realized this scene in 0079's
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /m/ - Mecha

Thread replies: 35
Thread images: 6
File: _20160711_174438.jpg (78 KB, 1440x1070) Image search: [Google]
_20160711_174438.jpg
78 KB, 1440x1070
Am I dumb because I just now realized this scene in 0079's opening is the colony drop?
>>
>>14481441
The fact that you're streaming makes you dumb
>>
>>14481448
STFU
>>
>>14481441
The colony drop is never once mentioned in the show.
>>
File: 1431820705951.jpg (42 KB, 500x375) Image search: [Google]
1431820705951.jpg
42 KB, 500x375
>>14481441
I just realized that from this thread.
>>
>>14481510
This is just bad trolling
>>
File: 3200-sunrise-in-space.jpg (139 KB, 1920x1080) Image search: [Google]
3200-sunrise-in-space.jpg
139 KB, 1920x1080
>>14481441
Is it? I always thought it was a sunrise
>>
>>14481441
yeah op you are dumb

because its a fucking sunrise
>>
>>14481441
>Sydney, Australia is on the equator
>or the camera's frame of reference is tilted for no fucking reason
>>
Yeah, because a sunrise is always preceded by a loud explosion sound.
>>
>>14481571
FUCK
>>14481611
>>
>>14481608
Or the Earth is tilted on its axis.
>>
>>14481611
>>14481616

it's a sunrise
the sound isn't an explosion, and the creator of MSG was sunrise so it's no shock that that'd be part of the OP. not to mention the fact that an explosion (even a colony drop) doesn't cause a light to wrap all the way around the world (then again, neither does a sunrise but whatever)
>>
>>14481494
Nice counterargument, fag.
>>
>>14481611
The sound actually comes after, and it's hardly an explosion.
also
>sound
>in space
c'mon
>>
Are there really people who think it's a sunrise? It's not some kind of thinly veiled trolling?
>>
>>14481652
It's probably the same people who un-ironically believe that Zeon actually didn't do anything bad ever.
>>
UC79 is just thinly veiled BEST KOREA-tier Federation propaganda.

I thought you all knew this.
>>
File: everyone is wrong.png (744 KB, 1440x1440) Image search: [Google]
everyone is wrong.png
744 KB, 1440x1440
>>14481625
So, the sun is behind the planet, so we're further out than both and looking in. The Earth revolves around the sun counter-clockwise, assuming a system "up" which corresponds with (but does not match the pointing direction of) Earth's north pole. But that means we wouldn't see a sunrise on the right side of the image.

So maybe it's the colony drop. As the axis is tilted 23.4 degrees to the right, Sydney does in fact cross the ecliptic during a rotation of the Earth. However, we see the colony drop occur during the day, when Sydney would be nowhere near that point. Beyond that, for Sydney to be on the right side, our camera has to be between Earth and the sun, looking out. But the planet is not lit, so we must be on the outside.

So it's not a sunrise and it's not a colony drop.
>>
>>14481611
War is hell.
>>
>>14481792
Or it could still be either and the low budget animation done in 1979 was just dumb.
>>
>>14481792
Maybe Sunrise didn't think nerds would pick at their kids show 40 years later.
>>
>>14481441
>Am I dumb
Yes, absolutely.
>>
Sunrise

>sun rising
>>
>>14481857
>nerds
This is fourth, MAYBE fifth grade stuff, Anon.
>>
>>14481922
Kindergarten stuff is enough to be called a nerd.
>>
>>14481608
>or the camera's frame of reference is tilted for no fucking reason
To make the scene look symmetrical probably. There's no clearly visible landmasses so there's no frame of reference.
>>
If it's the colony drop, why would the blast just freeze like that? Why would the light move, but the blast stay frozen? And why mix in synth for the explosion instead of just using a blast sound effect? I don't buy it. It's just a fancy title card.
>>
>KABOOOOM
>Howling blast winds and flashes screech across the Earth
Huh, must be the sun rising.

But in all seriousness it's clearly the colony drop. It's dark and horrible with an explosion sound and general fearful atmosphere, that ain't so sun rise. Sun rises are pleasant.

Afterward the words Gundam rise up literally to make things better and bring a heroic tone along like the Gundam rising in the show.
>>
File: colony impact.webm (3 MB, 960x720) Image search: [Google]
colony impact.webm
3 MB, 960x720
Guys, it's worth noting that in the animation they actually hadn't really decided where the colony dropped. In Tomino's setting notes he made during the production of MSG, Sydney isn't mentioned as a target (in fact, multiple colony drops are mentioned but with no mention of specific targets). In 0080, the Feddy soldier that catches Bernie lying doesn't have a problem with the fact that Bernie referred to a city that got wiped off the face of the earth, but that it's actually summer there instead of the winter that Bernie was talking about.

Yes, Gundam databooks like Gundam Century and the various Entertainment Bibles have been saying for a long time that Sydney was annihilated by the colony drop (dating back to the 80s which was before the production of Gundam 0080), but Gundam as a whole didn't really adopt that as part of its established history until the 90s. Remember, the databooks are only semi-canon at best, even if officially endorsed by Sunrise/Bandai and made by staff who worked on the Gundam shows. Don't consider them word of god, they're better considered as insights into the workings of the shows from staff who worked on them, given how often databooks can be inaccurate or retconned by other sources like animation or newer databooks.

TL;DR just because the OP animation's point of impact wasn't on Sydney doesn't mean it's not a colony drop, because they hadn't decided where it impacted.

>>14482280
I dunno why, but 0083 had a vaguely similar effect for when the Axis fleet witnessed the colony impacting the earth
>>
File: the-earth-12-638.jpg (66 KB, 638x479) Image search: [Google]
the-earth-12-638.jpg
66 KB, 638x479
>>14481792
>As the axis is tilted 23.4 degrees to the right
You're actually cheating there. Even having the Sun behind the Earth as a constrain, the axis can be tilted in any direction depending on the season of the year (23.4 degrees to the right, to the left, inwards, outwards, or anything in between). So there's room for that spot to be Sydney.
>>
>>14481792
>>14484263
Well, thinking about it now, knowing the colony drop was midway through winter (axis tilted outwards), the highest visible position for Sydney would be about the center of the yellow line you draw, which would prevent the spot in question from being Sydney if all your other assumptions are valid.

Anyway, it wasn't decided that the colony drop was in Sydney at that point.
>>
>>14483967
The original setting notes published in 1978 do not mention multiple colony drops in any of the 5 volumes released. Try again?

Gundam Century came out in 1981, shortly after the premiere of the 2nd compilation movie. And even prior to the 90s, the original Entertainment Bibles all said Australia and Sydney in them.

Sydney, remember, was never a target: Jaburo always was. It was an accident due to improper course calculations and the fact that the colony broke up over the Arabian Peninsula.
>>
>>14481611
Pretty sure that sound is the Gundam taking off into space.
>>
>>14481792
>So it's not a sunrise and it's not a colony drop.

Or maybe it is a sunrise and Sunrise didn't feel like spending hours researching lame science shit for two seconds of animation in the intro of a kid's giant robot show.
Thread replies: 35
Thread images: 6

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.