[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Do you prefer mass produced machines that lets anyone have a
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /m/ - Mecha

Thread replies: 66
Thread images: 13
Do you prefer mass produced machines that lets anyone have a ride or ones that are waiting for that special someone?
>>
File: GN-X design evolution.jpg (342 KB, 1806x482) Image search: [Google]
GN-X design evolution.jpg
342 KB, 1806x482
I usually hate the idea of special snowflake and destined encounters/relationship, so mass production it is.
>>
File: the-sword-in-the-stone-77.png (821 KB, 1440x900) Image search: [Google]
the-sword-in-the-stone-77.png
821 KB, 1440x900
I like the sword on the stone nature of snowflake suits waiting on their rightful pilot to claim them.
>>
it depends on how its done. for example I like how Break Blade does the delphine. but How G-Reco did the G-Self wasn't cool imo.

but if I had to pick. definitely Mass Produced Machines are better. much more interesting
>>
File: Gespensts.jpg (322 KB, 1252x480) Image search: [Google]
Gespensts.jpg
322 KB, 1252x480
It just a matter of execution, victory by sheer firepower is not really different than victory by sheer numbers.
>>
>>14479152
Stealthy Free Software thread?
>>
>>14479152
/m/ has a weird grunt fetish so it always will pick mass production. For some reason they think a GM is better and mote interesting than something like Zeta Gundam.
>>
>>14479152
Definitely mass produced.
The problem with special snowflakes is that they are the main characters of their stories and should you hate one, they won't be dying anytime soon, if at all.

A grunt you hate is going to catch a stray bullet sooner or later.
>>
It depends on how the story is done
>>
>We want military grunt units taking down smug special snowflakes with tactics and teamwork!
/m/ doesn't know what it wants.
>>
>>14479301
>[board] is a hivemind
>>
>>14479301
That was a special snowflake piloting a military grunt. Also they were like teenagers and shit.
>>
>>14479301
>tactics and teamwork
>at one point he has to take direct control of an entire army's mechs because the pilots are too inept at shooting

/m/ may not know what it wants, but that particular anime isn't an example of it.
>>
>>14479152
Snowflakes are good if it's some ancient super weapon. Bonus points if it's still inferior to the modern stuff it faces.

Otherwise, mass production is king. Fuck prototypes and heavy customs.
>>
>>14479301
>>We want military grunt units taking down smug special snowflakes with tactics and teamwork!

This sounds like /tg/ talking more than /m/.
>>
Speshul snowflakes are the one capable altering history, grunts are only good as a cannon fodder
>>
mass produced machines anyone can pilot, but the suits true power can only be accessed by a special snowflake.
>>
>>14479152
I know this isnt exactly what you asked OP but i like much more an ace pilot on a mass produced machine than a special snowflake kid in a special snowflake machine.
From /m/ with love
>>
>>14479301
That may work in S1. But Inaho's Cyborg Eye is much more broken than any of Vert's mecha special abilities in S2.
>>
I like the trope of special mecha stolen by an inferior pilot to prove their worth so the special pilot has to ride a grunt mecha to take it back.
>>
>>14479301
Whatever we want, it's not that show.
>>
I like mass-produced mecha that anyone can hop into, only a decent/trained pilot would get results though.

As far as protagonist/special mecha go, I prefer the "This machine is incredibly moody and a good pilot is needed to harness its potential/not crash it into the hangar wall" approach compared to the mecha being locked down by genetics/special powers/sick gang signs.
>>
>>14479977
There's something that's unsatisfying about 'Oh, this robot will only work for you because of blah blah and it's so much better than the others'.

Kouji had to learn to pilot Mazinger Z. Amuro was best for Gundam because he had spent the most time in it. If you're going to do something like this; do it like Dragonar.
>>
>>14479152
Macross has a nice twist on this by making everyone get OP grunts
>>
>>14479152
Anyone who had the opportunity to make their own ms would.
>>
>>14479152

I only like the 'special pilot' trope if the mecha in question is actually alive or self aware.

It makes sense of something like the Nirvash or an Evangelion to be picky about its pilot. Its not just a tool, its a character of its own.

Likewise, something with an active AI in it (like Chamber in Gargantia) only working for a single pilot is fine.

But I dislike stuff like bio-locking the Unicorn to Banager at the end of the first episode. It just comes off as "Congratulations, YOU get to be the main character now!"

I guess thats a good litmus test. Does it serve a purpose or tie into the story in any way other than to explain why this character alone gets to be the protagonist? Because in all of the examples where I actually liked how they handled (E7, Eva, Gargantia and such listed above) it had wider reaching effects and implications beyond just not letting anyone else use the cool toy.
>>
>>14480253
>But I dislike stuff like bio-locking the Unicorn to Banager at the end of the first episode. It just comes off as "Congratulations, YOU get to be the main character now!"

Isn't that so no one can ask "Well why don't they just shoot the kid and hijack the suit back?" given the "mature" setting?
>>
>>14480614

Sure. But that's admitting a weakness of the plot. If the only reason the MC is important is because events conspire to make everyone else totally unable to get rid of him for handwaved reasons, then that is the same as admitting that the plot is running on explicit author fiat where things only happen because the author wants them to happen that way instead of a coherent internal narrative.

Even in universe, as far as the feddies are concerned killing Banager and and blowing up the Unicorn is a perfectly valid way to accomplish their goals, but they never even consider it. They don't NEED the Unicorn. They just need no one else to have it. This shouldn't be two factions fighting over control of a Gundam, it should be one faction trying to use it and the other trying to prevent it from being used.

Also, the idea of this biometric imprint system being totally unalterable and unhackable is BS. Making it difficult for someone to just hop in and steal it is one thing, but making it so no one can never-ever register a new pilot under any circumstances is asinine from any other perspective than making sure Banager doesn't get sidelined. There are so, soooooo many ways that can go incredibly wrong and result in the Unicorn Gundam being totally unuseable.

Just go into the cockpit with a small hammer and smash the biometric scanner. There, now no one can use it under any circumstances. Its a giant paperweight shaped like a mobile suit now.
>>
>>14479460

I guess you probably haven't observed /m/ enough when there are plenty of gruntwank and "OC DONUT STEEL plots" to go around on a regular basis whether they realize that their gruntwank fantasies will eventually devolve into special snowflakes in their own way remains to be seen
>>
>>14480781

Isn't that exactly what happened during Aldnoah.Zero? Inaho goes the entire show just using a training Kat, and the only time he even got a special equipment loadout was the final fight, and even that was just grafting spare parts onto it to use as sacrificial shields.

In order to justify being able to keep up with more ridiculous Kats, Inaho became the most special snowflake in the show. Artificial-intelligence robot eye!
>>
>>14480853
People tend to include "well written" in the criteria for their ideal show.

The "hurr durr your gruntwank show will suck" posts seem to assume that the show will have bad writing.
>>
>>14479152
That odd combination of a semi special pilot in a somewhat special grunt mecha.
>>
>>14480853
Shh
Don't let the rest of /m/ hear you
>>
>>14479301
>A.Z
>tactics
>teamwork
>>
>>14479301
We want a GOOD version of that
>>
The best is when the special protagonist uses the mass produced unit and pushes it farther than anyone through his own abilities.
>>
File: 1322094577742.jpg (925 KB, 1920x1200) Image search: [Google]
1322094577742.jpg
925 KB, 1920x1200
>>14479152
What about non-mass-produced machines that are still sluts that let anyone ride them?
>>
>>14480864
/m/ doesn't know shit about writing, good or bad.

>too much talking
>not enough talking
>why are things not being explained to me
>why won't they stop infodumping
>it's too convoluted
>it's just boring
>why is the main character the only competent one and is the next coming of Christ
>why isn't the main character styling over everyone like they're next coming of Christ
>>
Machines that have clearly defined registered users, but are intelligent enough to make exceptions when the situation calls for it.
>>
Grunts using team work and tactics what is the Barkoff squadron
>>
>>14481426
Dead?
>>
>>14481367

> Chamber summons his Stand.jpg
>>
>>14479152
Mass production with aftermarket mods chosen by the pilot
>>
>>14479152
Neither.

Limited production for life.
>>
>>14481447
Yes but they fit the bill grunt units reliance on tactics and team work pretty decent writing for their series
>>
>>14480853
>>14480864
Personally, I'd like a series where the grunt suits win via tactics and logistics. Like if they wear down a snowflake mech by exploiting its high maintenance costs and lack of replacement parts.

Basically, WWII tank warfare.
>>
>>14481609
Hold onto that idea and come back when IBO S2 starts, just in case that ends up being the long term tactic to shut down Tekkadan (cripple Barbs and Gus repeatedly and put a dent on company profits).

And when it doesn't, I'll remember to yell at you for coming up with an interesting idea that'll never be used ever.
>>
>>14481609
That was the first battle of A/Z, damn shame the rest of it fell flat. They did recon, they took heavy losses, but they were able to analyze it and find its weak points.
>>
File: dope scog.jpg (43 KB, 500x338) Image search: [Google]
dope scog.jpg
43 KB, 500x338
There are many like it, but this one is mine.

for now.
>>
>>14479152
I prefer the ZZ approach of whoevers first to claim the suit pilots it for the episode.
>>
>>14481609
>another WWII-wanking gruntfag
Gee, what a surprise. Never seen that pitch before.
>>
>>14484287
>That was the first battle of A/Z
I love this meme
>>
>>14481609
>Basically, WWII tank warfare.
So shit we get all the time
>>
>>14479152
Massed produced machines being operated by a trained professional.
>>
>>14481337
Do not bully the zeta
>>
>>14479152
Mass production is good because it's easier to find spare parts, just ask the USN.
>>
>>14481361
>>too much talking
>not enough talking
>why are things not being explained to me
>why won't they stop infodumping
>it's too convoluted
>it's just boring
>why is the main character the only competent one and is the next coming of Christ
>why isn't the main character styling over everyone like they're next coming of Christ

>implying good writing isn't the happy medium of all of these
>>
>>14480853
>>14480864
The problem with that was that it's only Inaho.
I want a competent group of people damnit.
>>
>>14479301
/m/ wants the pilots to be grunts, not just the units.

If the main character is anything but a low ranking adult male, or a higher ranking older male ace slash battleship captain, then it's probably some special snowflake prodigy who simply lucked out.

The gimps of Thunderbolt are basically /m/'s ideal protagonists, given that they know how hellish war is despite continuing to fight.
>>
>>14495848
>implying /m/ knows what a happy medium is
>>
>>14479264
But what about the mass produced Zeta Gundam?
>>
File: Zeta Plus C1.jpg (271 KB, 862x603) Image search: [Google]
Zeta Plus C1.jpg
271 KB, 862x603
>>14496985
The Zeta Plus? Those things are fucking incredible.
>>
>>14479152
Heavily customized mass production machines.
>>
>>14496989
Those are more limited production than mass produced.
>>
File: Zeta mass production type.jpg (754 KB, 1532x2112) Image search: [Google]
Zeta mass production type.jpg
754 KB, 1532x2112
>>14497006
Oh, then do you mean this? It looks nice.
>>
Mass produced machines that can only be piloted by trained professionals.
Thread replies: 66
Thread images: 13

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.