[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Why overdesign is a bad thing? I rather stick with picrelated
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /m/ - Mecha

Thread replies: 53
Thread images: 13
File: fortegigas.png (170 KB, 338x358) Image search: [Google]
fortegigas.png
170 KB, 338x358
Why overdesign is a bad thing?
I rather stick with picrelated than the plane looking robot/mech that the G1 Optimus Prime is.
>>
That looks like a recolored GaoFighGar from the thumbnail.
>>
>>14469146
You must be blind.
It's not garbage enough to look like GFG.
>>
>>14469154
Sorry you hate the best GGG you tasteless communist.
>>
File: mazinger_z_by_jeetdoh-d8vavar.jpg (215 KB, 1024x1448) Image search: [Google]
mazinger_z_by_jeetdoh-d8vavar.jpg
215 KB, 1024x1448
>>14469136
Because simple designs are more iconic and memorable. Things that are overdesigned don't really look like anything, they're just a jumble of meaningless details.
>>
File: Gunbuster.png (902 KB, 800x600) Image search: [Google]
Gunbuster.png
902 KB, 800x600
>>14469136

For me, it's because it becomes difficult to really see what's going on, and what goes where. There's so much stuff all over the place that the eye just hopes wherever a bright color is. I can make out the hands, but it'd be much easier if there wasn't so many lines cluttering up things.

Not to mention that many of the lines are so unnecessary. Why does Forte Gigas have elf shoes? Does it boot people like Ideon? What about all those other segments and stuff? How would it move with all that stuff everywhere?

The odd thing is that I actually kind of like the Forte Gigas. It gives off a similar vibe to Gunbuster, and I kind of consider it OGs' version of Gunbuster. Even so, its design is way too busy for me.
>>
>>14469136

It's bad that looking at the thumbnail most of it just seemed to clump together in to a big mess and I couldn't make out whether it had hands or where it's head was supposed to be.

It's worse than when looking at the, admittedly small full picture I still couldn't make out any real detail on it's face even if the hands were perfectly visible. I had to go and check GIS for a bigger picture to see what it's face looked like.

The problem I suppose is lack of clarity. It's not just that such a thing would be hard to animate and keep on model, but that it's design just kind of blurs together from a distance and it's profile has no real distinction about it from the waist up - it's just a big mess. I can't tell what several things on the suit are supposed to be or what they're for. Like the big things on the back of the hands. And those two black and silver things sticking up over the shoulders. I'm assuming swords, but honestly, they could be anything. And on such a fantastical design, it seems entirely possible they're just decoration and have no real purpose.

I think he also looks like he put on daddy's shoes or something given how big those knees, ankles and feet are compared to his thighs. That's not really part of it being overdesigned though.
>>
>>14469136

Optimus doesn't look anything like a plane, ya goober.
>>
>>14469161
Sorry you're jealous of my godly taste, shit-eating capitalist pig.
>>
>>14469136
>>14469183
This. Bay's version seems mechanically sound in its transformation, but in motion it looks like someone brought a pile of junk to life.
>>
Overdesigned is often just code for "design I arbitrarily don't like."
>>
>>14469268
Anon please.

It's the reason why some designs are unlikeable.

Nobody needs a mech decked out in tech bling when Mazinger beat the dinosaur republic using only three colors and a crotch beam.
>>
>>14469493
And that isn't the very definition of arbitrary?
>>
>>14469217
How's Venezuela going there Bernie.
>>
>>14469513
It's also simple, efficient, purposeful and utilitarian.

Like the GM.
>>
>>14469183
Usually about three colors, maybe four if one is black or white, is the most that can really be on something before it just becomes a massive clusterfuck, I'd say.
>>
>>14469562
>GM
>not overdesigned garbage

Anon it has four colors, that's one color too many.
>>
>>14469203
>And those two black and silver things sticking up over the shoulders.

IIRC those are the hilts for the Storm Blades/Moon Circle. (and if you're talking D, the Beam Hammer as well)
>>
>>14469575
It's red, white and blue, just like America.
>>
File: Jimmy.jpg (29 KB, 300x554) Image search: [Google]
Jimmy.jpg
29 KB, 300x554
>>14469575
Grayish-white and red as main colors, green for the visor, yellow for details. It's fine.
>>
>>14469590

I think this GM is a case of things being too simple. That is, so simple that I wonder how some parts of it can move, especially the arms and hands. The pelvis area looks pretty stiff as well.
>>
>>14469590
5 colors, it's overdesigned garbage.
>>
>>14469590
>greyish-white
Minty Fresh
>forgetting dark grey for hands
Now we're at five.
>>
>>14469637
The dark grey is kept to its own little area, instead of being shit all across the GM.
>>
>>14469655
>defending overdesigned garbage
>>
File: kung fu endoskeleman jim.jpg (78 KB, 398x650) Image search: [Google]
kung fu endoskeleman jim.jpg
78 KB, 398x650
>>14469621
Simple on the outside
Complex(and spooky) on the inside.

Modern interpretations of old 1979 design helps too.
>>
File: Wood.jpg (1 MB, 1132x1277) Image search: [Google]
Wood.jpg
1 MB, 1132x1277
>>14469679
>calling the GM overdesigned when the ReGZ Custom exists
Fucking Zeeks must have been involved with this thing.
>>
>>14469711
That is absolutely tame, you can tell what is what on it whereas the GM blurs so many details together it ends up with diaper pants.
>>
>>14469726
It's got a giant AK for a beam rifle, down to the wood handguard and grip, some dark grey, some purple, two shades of green, some yellow for the thrusters, and that red cockpit, chin and shin. Way, way too many colors. There's like twenty there or something.
>>
>>14469746
A place for every color.
And every color in its place.

>detail is overdesign
>>
>>14469753
Yea, you see what I mean. Zeeks man, I think they just hand their kids some paintball guns and tell them the Mobile Suit is a feddie or something.
>>
>>14469711
What's with all the anti Re-GZ shit posting lately?

This some new hot meme or just one dedicated dude?
>>
>>14469789
I used to hate it, now I like it. The custom looks retarded though. That's why I think it's multiple people.
>>
>>14469789
I didn't even know someone was shitting on the ReGZ other than me being a caracature, no idea why someone would.
BEAM AK.
>>
File: Re-gz_amuro_custom.jpg (156 KB, 434x579) Image search: [Google]
Re-gz_amuro_custom.jpg
156 KB, 434x579
>>14469789
The regular Re-GZ isn't necessarily a bad design, it's just kind of a boring one. It's basically the Zeta with everything interesting removed.

The picture in >>14469711 is pretty ugly, but it seems like that's more from the picture itself than the design in it. It looks fine outside of that art style.
>>
The number of colors in a design doesn't mean jack shit, it's how you use them.

Pic related has a literal fucking rainbow on her skirt but nobody's going to call her overdesigned.

OP's pic has a rainbow all over it. That's when you get to "overdesigned" tier.
>>
>>14470048
Hat's not frilly enough, she's overdesigned garbage.
>>
>>14469136
It's always ESLs who have stupid opinions like this.
>>
>>14469905
True, but I'd still rather be looking at a standard ReGZ in those colors.
>>
File: minimalism.png (461 KB, 480x569) Image search: [Google]
minimalism.png
461 KB, 480x569
>>14470056
Oh yeah let's just pretend dumbass American guys don't like greebly, gaudy bullshit like this and every other major Hollywood production
>>
File: noisy_boy.jpg (703 KB, 800x1204) Image search: [Google]
noisy_boy.jpg
703 KB, 800x1204
>>14470274
They can make them look really nice and organized if they try, but most of the time they don't.
>>
>>14470283
I never argued against any of that, all I was refuting was that ignorant anon who thinks only foreigners like clownish and goofy mecha.
>>
>>14470366
They are foreigners, from everywhere else but /m/
>>
With a good design, your eyes are drawn to a few key elements. These elements give you a feel for the character's personality, and help make them memorable.

When something is over-designed, your eyes don't know where to look, and it all just kind of blends together. The end result is that it's just as unmemorable as something that's under-designed, with addition that it looks a hell of a lot dumber.

Pic related. Over-designed characters.
>>
>>14470439
>I have ADD

good to know
>>
>>14470439
I remember when Battleborn had four characters, then Overwatch started happening and they shit out as many as possible to try and keep up.
>>
File: 1462232853081347398.png (600 KB, 800x525) Image search: [Google]
1462232853081347398.png
600 KB, 800x525
>>14470274
Around the turn of the millennium it seems like everyone involved with the comics decided Iron Man had to look super complex and high-tech to be believable when the older designs were simple and iconic even if they were a bit silly.

I fell out of reading comics but I came back recently and liked the simplified design of his modern suit. But now he's going to be replaced by a teenage black girl so whatever. Comics are stupid.
>>
>>14470283
I still wish that guy would have been the hero robot.
>>
>>14471552
So, do you legitimately think there are no bad designs?
>>
>>14471629
He's been replaced by at least one black person and one teenager before.
>>
>>14469136
Forte Gigas is a goddamn mess.

...but I still prefer it over Aile Chevalier and Blance Neige.
>>
File: 902354_press01.jpg (108 KB, 400x600) Image search: [Google]
902354_press01.jpg
108 KB, 400x600
>>14470274
This picture is intentionally showing off every detail and point of articulation on the figure. It's literally the only time that it would ever have all of those details exposed at once. When it doesn't have every single panel open just to show that the panels open it's not nearly that greebled.

>>14471629
Part of that comes down to some artists deciding that Iron Man should look like armor instead of a costume, which meant putting a lot of individual plates where they used to be solid pieces of bendy-metal, and even then they still end up with a lot of bendy-metal. Blame Adi Granov and Bryan Hitch if you need someone to blame for it.
>>
>>14471688
True, and I do like Denny O'Neil run with Rhodey quite a bit.

I pretend the entire Crossing event never happened though.
Thread replies: 53
Thread images: 13

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.