[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Why is Tomino against technological advancements?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /m/ - Mecha

Thread replies: 56
Thread images: 9
Why is Tomino against technological advancements?
>>
Because technological advancements generally make it easier to kill people, which is bad, and wrong.

The moment the first caveman decided to fight with a rock instead of his teeth and stubby little nails, humanity was doomed to an existence of constantly trying to find bigger rocks.

Some day we will find a rock big enough to kill god, and I suppose then we can sit back and relax for a change.

Also: microwave ovens are silly
>>
>>14437569

I don't know that he hates it so much as he likes it as a story convention, since it allows for a sci-fi tale to feel familiar while still having really far out technology like biomechanical robots or whatever
>>
"Video games are a waste of electricity"
>>
File: char_45967.jpg (19 KB, 210x240) Image search: [Google]
char_45967.jpg
19 KB, 210x240
Technology is the tool of mankind

Mankind's a shit

Therefore, technology will be used to do shitty things
>>
The advancement of technology is mostly not accompanied with the advancement of humanity.
>>
>>14437569
Eh, it's just the backstory of "technology progressed until they eventually nuked the shit out of themselves", that's pretty typical.
>>
>>14437569
Technological advancements got japan's shit nuked 80 years ago,I wouldn't want em either.

But in all seriousness he's more against the wrong people getting said technology or all technological advancement being tied to war
>>
>>14437719
Well they aren't valuable use of it.
>>
>>14438103
>he's more against the wrong people getting said technology
What would he think about common people getting their hand on easy accessible internet and social media?
>>
Not every series' background has to be ideologically motivated. Sometimes a potato is just a potato.

Also that's just an in universe explanation that may not be accurate. Wasn't the real background of King Gainer revealed in the opening text scroll? Anyone has that?
>>
>>14438068

>The advancement of technology is mostly not accompanied with the advancement of humanity.

Well of course it isn't. Humans don't advance by anything other than evolution. All the societal changes, all this "progress" we claim, essentially amounts to a regimen of training we subject every child to. A modern human is essentially a well-trained caveman. I'd not hold out any hope that societal progress will ever change human nature for the better. It's really one of the greatest bits of human hubris to think so.

Might as well throw your lot in with technology in the hopes that eventually genetic engineering or something can change the human condition for the better, 'cause it sure ain't going to happen on it's own.
>>
>>14438843
Why would you want to change the human condition? We're pretty good as it is, honestly.
>>
>>14438843
Society does change evolution though. Our brains have gotten smaller and have some other changes that are similar to the brains of domesticated animals. It's likely we're more docile than our caveman counterparts. Probably because the more aggressive people went off to war or were executed or otherwise got themselves killed before they could breed too much. In spite of the news, people are less violent than they used to be.
>>
>>14438775
With social media at least, judging by the current political landscape in the West and its effect on causing Japanese artists/developers to abstain from even trying to export their shit here he probably isn't too fond of it.
>>
>>14438923
>saying that when Curtis LeEpicMaymay, Winston Churchill, Himmler, Hitler, and Stalin all participated in a war less than a century ago
>>
>>14438923
>evolution
>decades
yeah nah
>>
File: 1466648034991.jpg (69 KB, 306x331) Image search: [Google]
1466648034991.jpg
69 KB, 306x331
>>14437569
>Why is a old asshole against technology?
Have you seen all of his criticisms? He is the stereotypical old guy who hates everything new
>>
>>14437569

he's at least less crazy in that regard than fucking Miyzaki
>>
>>14438923

Society has at least changed up physically, even if not socially, since that's harder to prove. The wide spread adoption of cutlery has meant overbites have become almost ubiquitous, when until recently human teeth used to fit neatly together. Our intestine is also getting shorter due to cooking if I recall, since there's less germs to deal with in general with the cooking killing them all.
>>
>>14439318
>stereotypical old guy who hates everything new
>Likes Love Live.
>>
>>14439318
You kidding right? Tomino is and always was strongly pro-youth. If anything stereotypical old men who hate everything new is who he hates himself.
>>
>>14439318
>He is the stereotypical old guy who hates everything new
What the fuck are you saying? He has always been pro computers in animation. He just criticized when it is done poorly like in the early 00s in American movies and anime.
>>
File: ZZ_01.jpg (31 KB, 250x345) Image search: [Google]
ZZ_01.jpg
31 KB, 250x345
>>14437775
No, Master Asia.
Mankind is inherently good. It is technology that is inherently evil.
>>
>>14439517
I was going to say, one of the biggest recurring themes in his shows is arrogant and petty old people who think they know everything sending innocent younger people to their deaths.
>>
>>14437621
>Some day we will find a rock big enough to kill god
we already did, it was called the printing press
>>
>>14438775

>NSAbook
>Good
>>
>>14437569
It's a pretty common theme in Gundam that humanity doesn't know how to handle what they create or what they've been passed on. It's pretty true. The latest generation of teens in the US are among the least computer/tech literate despite being tethered to smartphones and tablets.
>>
>>14439318
Got to love the fair-weather Luddites who complain about technological progress while enjoying all the benefits.
>>
>>14438923
>people are less violent than they used to be.
>about a dozen armed conflicts underway worldwide
>Shitwars on 4chan
K
>>
File: revolt-butlerian-jihad.jpg (63 KB, 425x318) Image search: [Google]
revolt-butlerian-jihad.jpg
63 KB, 425x318
Because he knows what a reliance on technology leads to.
>>
>>14439498
Who is his favorite girl? If he has good taste it will be Maki.
>>
>>14437569
why is tomino against good writing?
>>
>>14441717

The murder rate 150 years ago was 400 times what it is now. It's easy to say things haven't gotten better when there's still problems, but the reality is we're living in one of the most relatively peaceful times in human history.
>>
>>14442379

He likes Honkers.
>>
File: this is you.jpg (666 KB, 1280x1024) Image search: [Google]
this is you.jpg
666 KB, 1280x1024
>>14440963
You know nothing of history, religious text were the most widely printed books in all of history.
>>
>>14442486
>this is you
I don't get it, are you saying he's an edgy know-it-all or that he's an example of what that edgy know-it-all in your pic is talking about?
>>
>>14442379
I don't see any brown girls
>>
>>14442486
>religious text were the most widely printed books in all of history.
Then why did ecclesiastical authorities work so hard for a thousand years to keep the masses from being able to read them, themselves? And why did the Catholic church fragment the second printing presses became available, and people were finally able to read the bible themselves?

Oh right.
>>
>>14437719
i can't blame him having saying that all gundam games are absolute shit
>>
>>14438775
I don't know about Tomino, but I personally hate what social media has done to society.
>>
File: 4387439784398.png (438 KB, 750x375) Image search: [Google]
4387439784398.png
438 KB, 750x375
>>14438068
"Our scientific power has outrun our spiritual power. We have guided missiles and misguided men." - Martin Luther King, Jr.
>>
>>14438844

There are a number of neurological quirks we could do without in this day and age. Decreasing our natural xenophobia and tribalist instincts would make us all less likely to flock beneath the banner of confident sounding father figures to team up against the 'other' of choice. We don't need to turn into blindly trusting idiots, but 'they live over there and they read a different book' needs to not be enough to get a war going if we want to survive in an age of WMDs.

Or, for personal benefit, we could rewire our brains to no longer treat future_you as a total stranger. Simply put, when you make long term decisions, most people emotionally weigh how it will affect them as if they were being asked to help a stranger. And why should YOU pass on desert so SOMEONE ELSE gets to lose weight?
>>
>>14443312
How does that disprove that post in anyway? Do you just have autistic knee-jerks whenever someone mentions religion?
>>
>>14443575
Fuck your shit, nigga, Gundam Assault Survive is fucking awesome.
>inb4 Gundam Battle Universe
>>
>>14443996
Fuck no, Gundam Versus game is better.
>>
>>14443996
>Gundam Assault Survive is fucking awesome.
shit taste opinion discarded
>>
>>14444005
I hate how the VS series constantly freezes the action to show someone enter the battlefield. I like my uninterrupted shooter-style missions. VS nerfs the fuck out of artillery to force hand-to-hand.
>>
>>14444056
maybe you should play a shooter game instead of a fighting game
>>
>>14440963
Quite profound anon
>>
>>14443943
>There are a number of neurological quirks we could do without in this day and age. Decreasing our natural xenophobia and tribalist instincts would make us all less likely to flock beneath the banner of confident sounding father figures to team up against the 'other' of choice.

Just an aside, but I used to do Peace Corps work in Africa, teaching children since I had previous teaching experience.

I genuinely think that place call pull itself together, but they need to let their petty tribalism go. I'm in a classroom with 15 kids, and you think, they're all Batswana right? No, they see themselves individually as Bamangwato, or Bakgatla, or Barolong, or Bamalete. A lot of B's. And it's this tribalism that keeps them from trusting each other.

And as Garth Ennis said to Superman, "for what? Culture, history? What the hell is that, a bunch of stuff your folks said you hadda believe in all your life? Does that make it real?"

It reminds me a lot of the speech Teddy Roosevelt gave about Hyphenated Americans (aka Italian-American, Irish-American, German-American) and how they're what keep our country from having unity. That people decide to keep their hatreds and mistrustings from the old world instead of trying to work together for a better future.
>>
>>14444978

Yep. We are not immune to it, mind you. We just channel it into different ways.

Like Republican vs Democrat.

Or Christian vs (insert whatever else).

Or straight vs gay.

We don't go around shooting up the place over it (generally speaking, some people haven't gotten the memo) but its the same shit. We simply cannot function without some kind of enemy that we define ourselves against, and we will go to absurd lengths to fuck over those guys regardless of whether or not they are actually any kind of threat to us.

There was a time, not too long ago in the grand scheme of things, when this was a very useful behavior. It drove us towards strength in numbers against outside threats. But these days it means that we just keep making new problems because if we don't have someone to fight against what do we do with ourselves?
>>
>>14443651
>anime girl shooped in
Why?
>>
Technological advancement outpaces ethics resulting in temptation to utilize that new technology.

WW3 is going to start because China, Russia, or the US will have a toy that they can't resist using.
>>
File: 1453535343958.jpg (24 KB, 400x586) Image search: [Google]
1453535343958.jpg
24 KB, 400x586
>>14443312
Once different cultures make the bible in their own language, effectively the rudder of the religion is out of the hands of the church hierarchy and in the hands of proto-nationalists. Christianity ceases being a force for unity and conservatism and becomes a force for revolution and populism. See Thomas Müntzer.

The Catholic church knew that the moment they lost control over the dissemination of the word of God, it would only be a matter of time before someone hammered :^) out reasons why their authority was unfounded.

To the point, Letting the lay people read the bible didn't "Kill God", it just killed the Catholic Church's position as "The Church".
>>
>>14445146
>But these days it means that we just keep making new problems because if we don't have someone to fight against what do we do with ourselves?

We turn on each other, like America did after it no longer had the looming threat of the Iron Curtain to unite itself against.
Thread replies: 56
Thread images: 9

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.