[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
>the new Bionicle Netflix series has better CGI than the
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /m/ - Mecha

Thread replies: 41
Thread images: 5
File: Bionicles-2016.jpg (199 KB, 628x320) Image search: [Google]
Bionicles-2016.jpg
199 KB, 628x320
>the new Bionicle Netflix series has better CGI than the new Berserk

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ugv8GLhCBuQ

What the fuck is going on
>>
>>14436921
That's because Berserkek sucks.
>>
>>14436961
>Not Bersuck

I don't know why I expect more out of a tripfag
>>
>>14436968
>Not Bersercuck
ayyy
>>
>>14436976

Too many syllables. Doesn't work. You can't just add a meme to the end of things.
>>
>>14436921
Wait, there is Bionicle netflix series? Is it good?
>>
>>14437087
It's shit.
>>
>>14437096
So on par with the old movies.
>>
>>14436921
>lee-wa
Really?
>>
File: 1444184040680.webm (2 MB, 540x260) Image search: [Google]
1444184040680.webm
2 MB, 540x260
>>14436921
Fanmade animation using a free program is better than both
>>
What is this weird thing with CG anime where they try to imitate certain aspects of hand drawn stuff that just make it look terrible?

Tiger and Bunny had a similar problem with it's suit scenes. It just doesn't look right.
>>
>>14437087
It's lackluster, mediocre kiddy shit with spotty voice acting and cheap animation.

So obviously Bionicle fans adore it because they want to convince themselves and LEGO that there's nothing wrong with the reboot.
>>
>>14437083
What about
>Berscuck
>>
>>14437943
That looks like garbage.
And I'm the biggest defender of CGI on this board.
>>
>>14438067
Literally what he said in the first place
>>
>>14436921
I'll never understand why they didn't just use the actual designs of the toys for the movies. They did it for pretty much every single ad for bionicle and they were great
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Fk47EDfWK10
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nNpWn2Sgz8o
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wNRkzEp36KI
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fnNJfvBL4mw
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tOSMoX_LvPQ
>>
>>14436921
It's just as bad an worse, you idiot. The only difference is Beserk is supposed to be people where Bionicle is literally plastic toys, so having shitty plastic CG is less glaring in the latter.
>>
>>14438176
>I'll never understand why they didn't just use the actual designs of the toys for the movies.
Because until TLR all the people at TLG were idiots. That's why it is the best movie of all four.
>>
>>14438176
They wanted to use them, as shown in this very early teaser:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ntI5yYmeb-M

But they were too inexpressive, had too many holes and the eyes were only visible from very few angles. Any emotional or dramatic scene would look completely retarded if the Toa tried to gesticulate with block hands and if the wise village elders looked like flat-bodied, kneeless, twig-armed munchkins.
>>
>>14438176
The Phantoka commercials were so fucking dope
>>
>>14438244
Pretty much. The original Toa were such nice, simple designs, but that low part count is pretty freaking glaring in motion. It was only a matter of time before they made them more complex. Would have been nice if they just did the Katoki thing and greebled up while retaining the core design elements, though.

For that matter, they were more impressive before they started talking. When they were just silent robots fighting the elements. There's a lot that can be communicated without talking, but it won't hold up for a kid's cartoon.
>>
>>14438305
The original designs were also kinda structurally unsound as the wear and tear set in.

Mine used to flop like they were Sheriff Woody.
>>
>>14438215
Now why would you lie? Butthurt? Poor sight?
>>
>>14438318
They were floppy from the get go, with shit like Lewa's arm connected with a frictionless pin.
>>
>>14438364
Yeah now imagine wearing out the ball joints on Pohatu's legs.

Fucker's just flailing around trying to kick his stone.
>>
>>14438244
That said, some of the redesign choices were... questionable. When I first saw a promo pic of movie-style Takua, I legit didn't realize I was looking at a Pakari mask.
>>
>>14438146
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wAJdfFzDAYw
>He doesn't know that MMD has been around for almost a decade
>>
>>14437943
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gHkZ6tsiV3c
Just had to remind me
>>
>>14436921
>bionicle is great
>end bionicle
>hero factory replaces it
>bring back bionicle
>it's shit
Fuck, did everyone that worked on it leave or something?
>>
>>14436921
Berserk episode 1 review by you know who:

http://archive.is/XhuU6
>>
>>14439731
Bionicle started losing steam after 2004 and then turned to total shit from 2007 onward. But at the very least, there was ambition in it.
>>
>>14439731
>Fuck, did everyone that worked on it leave or something?
Well, Chris Faber (original ideas guy) and Greg Farshtey (writer) are no longer involved, and Bob Thompson (original story leader) left way back in 2005. Part of the staff is probably still in, they just aren't as well known.

It could have been a good reboot, but the entire thing is too halfassed because Lego doesn't really NEED Bionicle this time around, so there's no reason for them to put that much effort into it. Especially since Lego action figures aren't selling that well now and the line's budget is probably pathetic.

The new book and comic writer, Ryder Windham is trying his hardest, but he was only given a few writing assignments and his input mostly relates to side stories rather than the main plot. He actually cares for the universe, storyline consistency and character exploration, but Lego's approach is more akin to "lol who cares, it's just for kiddies, now lets get back to working on Ninjago and all the licensed stuff we actually care about".
>>
File: thumbs up - jet jaguar.jpg (23 KB, 499x283) Image search: [Google]
thumbs up - jet jaguar.jpg
23 KB, 499x283
>>14436921
>gatling bow
>>
>>14438486
>Japanese schoolgirls/traditional Japanese folklore destroying Korean Zerg scum
There is a message in here somewhere, but I can't figure out what.
>>
File: kopaka-reboot-concept.jpg (78 KB, 1366x768) Image search: [Google]
kopaka-reboot-concept.jpg
78 KB, 1366x768
>>14440045
>Lego's approach is more akin to "lol who cares, it's just for kiddies, now lets get back to working on Ninjago and all the licensed stuff we actually care about".

I feel like the guys behind it do want to do something cool with it, as the concept art shows, but are held back because Lego doesn't want to take any risks like they did back when they made Bionicle 2001. Ever since Ninjago and the Lego Movie, Lego has strayed away from making anything that takes itself too seriously like Bionicle. If Bionicle had a different company behind it that wasn't afraid to market to more mature audiences, like Bandai, then we would get something comparable to G1. Until then, all we're going to get is this half-assed effort from Lego, who seem to put more time and effort into their new Star Wars figures w/ Bionicle/HF parts instead.
>>
>>14440194
Those concept art images and all the artwork they share on Facebook would work way better if the series as a whole aimed for a similar "tone". But the images clash so hard with the goofiness of the 2015 animations and its oversimplified animation, and even JtO feels horribly stale in that respect.

I'm not expecting better or more mature writing from the main story, but I wouldn't complain if the line had a consistent tone with good atmosphere. Even the older movies, as rushed and cheesy and sloppily written as they were, had evocative imagery and memorable music, all of which lent them a nice "epic" feeling. That's why I like to rewatch them from time to time. Even the older ads used atmosphere, cinematography and such to great effect, doing so much with so little. Whereas JtO, as said, feels bland, tonally and visually phoned-in. So far, at least.
>>
>>14438486
reading comprehension isn't your strong suit, I see.

Amateur hour with MMD looks about as jank as Monty Oum's work, which people only praise because they think that characters moving smoothly is the only thing you need to make CGI look good, completely disregarding basic fundamentals of scene composition in the process.

Same reason people incessantly praise Studio Orange's work. "It's smooth, that must mean it's good!"

Well I could take a steaming dump and film it in 4k@60fps, but that doesn't make it good.
>>
>>14437456
Yes. That's how you say it. That's how you've always said it.
>>
>>14438043
"Adore" is a strong word. And I don't think anyone is outlandishly claiming that the reboot isn't flawed, but that doesn't mean we can't enjoy it regardless.

It's all we've got, so we're gonna hold on to it for as long as it has left. And for what that's worth, JtO is alright. Not great, maybe not even good. But watchable.
>>
>>14438229
>thinking the worst movie is somehow the best
As expected of a BZP Admin
>>
>>14441887
One problem with certain modern Bionicle fans is that they so strongly want to avoid being associated with nostalgiafags (like the Transformers fandom) that they are quick to put that label on anyone who has a strong negative opinion over any aspect of the reboot, even if they make valid complaints. There's a lot of these sucking Lego's dick on Facebook.

Between them and the genuine nostalgiafags, a lot of reasonable voices tend to get drowned out.
Thread replies: 41
Thread images: 5

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.