[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Was Aldnoah.Zero watched more than Gundam shows outside of Japan?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /m/ - Mecha

Thread replies: 64
Thread images: 14
File: NoWords.png (64 KB, 1009x558) Image search: [Google]
NoWords.png
64 KB, 1009x558
Was Aldnoah.Zero watched more than Gundam shows outside of Japan?

Sorry for the shit graph, I know it doesn't prove anything, but its a start
>>
Aldnoah zero had more marketing.
Also long running franchises have a tougher time pulling in new viewers. It's why no one watched the new Lupin outside of Italy/japan/euro countries. People think they're going to miss out on something if they don't watch the previous shows and they decide it's just not worth it. Go to /a/ anytime a new gundam is airing and any threads about it will have people asking "do I have to watch the previous gundams to watch this one?"
>>
>>14415226
>Aldnoah zero had more marketing.
Did they do any marketing outsitde of Japan?

>People think they're going to miss out on something if they don't watch the previous shows and they decide it's just not worth it. Go to /a/ anytime a new gundam is airing and any threads about it will have people asking "do I have to watch the previous gundams to watch this one?"

It explains a bit of the gap, but there is still a large gap between 00, IBO and G-Reco.
>>
>>14415210
gundam is hard because people don't know about AUs and think they have to follow 30+ years of lore to start.
>>
>>14415210
Gundam is long running and intimidating to casual plus the aforementioned casuals live anything vaguely related to Urobuchi
>>
Franchises in general are going to be hard sells to Westerners especially something as big as Gundam. A/Z had stupid hype behind it because someone slapped Urobuchi's name on it and the idea of "wow this regular guy is beating all the strong guys" probably got people's attention. Not to mention Sawano music right after Attack on Titan. And of course it was anime-original.
>>
>>14415303
>>14415394
>>14415411
So I"m guessing relatively older Gundam series(wing seed 00) got more popular from appearing on TV, which might not be a factor in the future.

There isn't much in the way of solid proof, but it looks like not as many viewers finished G-Reco as A.Z.
IBO and A.Z had a similar percentage of viewers finishing the show.

Shouldn't IBO and G-reco have been much higher since we're guessing the audience had a stronger interest?
>>
File: 1467046742937.png (208 KB, 564x408) Image search: [Google]
1467046742937.png
208 KB, 564x408
>>14415210
>nyaa
>MAL

Great data you have there especially when IBO was available for streaming sites like Crunchyroll, Funimation and YT
>>
>>14415546
>So I"m guessing relatively older Gundam series(wing seed 00) got more popular from appearing on TV, which might not be a factor in the future.
Nope they were popular online while they were airing its just that since communities were relatively more compact than they are now it wasn't as widespread being on TV did help SEED and Wing but not 00.

>>14415546
>There isn't much in the way of solid proof, but it looks like not as many viewers finished G-Reco as A.Z.
>IBO and A.Z had a similar percentage of viewers finishing the show.
Taking into the various circumstances (you couldn't actually watch G-Reco legally outside the UK) and the data being heavily eschewed (no data from IBOs streaming campaign which was actually pushed harder and not everyone uses MAL) there's really not much to conclude with. From the data it just shows that A/Z appealed to those who are already hardcore anime fans who follow Urobuchi while IBO was watched by casuals who don't download torrents or visit MAL.
>>
>>14415652
Because people who watched it on streaming sites didn't add it to their MAL list, right? Nice damage control.
>>
>>14415902
>having a MAL account

I refuse to believe this is the norm
>>
File: 1467050738161.png (851 KB, 1334x750) Image search: [Google]
1467050738161.png
851 KB, 1334x750
>>14415902
>Everyone who uses MAL streams anime
>Every anime fan uses MAL
>>
>>14415693
>Nope they were popular online while they were airing its just that since communities were relatively more compact than they are now it wasn't as widespread being on TV did help SEED and Wing but not 00.
I didn't really look up much on those three, I just knew they were popular.

00 not benefiting from TV doesn't really fit with the current assumption that Gundam is hard for western fans to get into due to fear of the franchise.

>Taking into the various circumstances (you couldn't actually watch G-Reco legally outside the UK

Wouldn't that drive up the torrents? I could do more checking but it doesn't explain everything.

>From the data it just shows that A/Z appealed to those who are already hardcore anime fans who follow Urobuchi while IBO was watched by casuals who don't download torrents or visit MAL.
I can't get figures of views from Hulu, Crunchyroll or netflix, but on Crunchyroll there were a lot more people rating A.Z and on Hulu there were more likes.

Its not really good evidence but its all that I can find.
>>
>>14415902
>their MAL list
Oh shit did I click over to robotechx because fucking I'm aallllllllllll laughing
>>
>>14416220
Its not, but its hard to find how much a show was watched.

Its probably not a good measurement, but difference is noteworthy.

>>14416262
Where was that implied?
Site seems independent of the way the user saw the show.

Its just one way of trying to gauge popularity.
>>
>>14415210
Its on netflix i think. I bet even my dad has watched it by now. Don't really know how to feel about how much anime he's started to watch recently. He's in his mid 50's and the other day he was trying to tell my sister who has no interest in anime at all about gunslinger girls
>>
File: EvenWorseData.png (50 KB, 881x484) Image search: [Google]
EvenWorseData.png
50 KB, 881x484
>>14416462
Gundam just seems really unpopular and I don't know why.
>>
>>14416525
I think because its such a long running series there may be the impression that you will have needed to have seen those earlier shows to fully appreciate or understand the newer ones. Although this isnt really the case with IBO, it would seem they were hoping to attract people unfamiliar to gundam with it as well
>>
File: At_least_they_didn't_enjoy_it.png (59 KB, 912x557) Image search: [Google]
At_least_they_didn't_enjoy_it.png
59 KB, 912x557
>>14416631
>>>14416525(You)
>Not that anything posted proves anything, but it doesn't add up.
>
>>>14416608
>G-Reco didn't click with a lot of people, but IBO seemed to be enjoyed more than Aldnoah.
>>
File: fin.png (45 KB, 741x516) Image search: [Google]
fin.png
45 KB, 741x516
The rating doesn't stack well with the number of people that finished the show.

I guess it can be partially explained with IBO being newer.
>>
>>14416639
Aldnoah had a lot of hype behind it. With gundam its just "oh, another series"
>>
>>14415210
Most people got greco off my mega uploads cause it took so long to get an episode up
>>
>>14416220
MAL has at least 1 million users, and almost 900,000 people on MAL have seen Death Note, which is probably the most watched and popular (as in heard of) modern show in the West among anime fans, to be honest.
I'd mention DBZ but because of how widespread it is among non-anime watchers it's not really fair to compare (though on MAL it only have 335,000 people with it on their list)

>>14416673
On MAL most people who have G-Reco entered on their list dropped it and gave it a low score because of the first few episodes. I'd wager those who actually finished it gave it a higher score than the average, with is like 5, right?
>>
>>14415244
IBO and AZ were shows made with at least in some part the otaku (and especially for ibo fujo) audience in mind. That is why they feature more of those tropes and have people those groups would like working on them.

This group also makes up the vast majority of western anime viewers, who also don't care about Tomino

>>14415244
>but there is still a large gap between 00, IBO and G-Reco.
IBO had better advertising so more people were informed what it was
>>
File: G-RecoMal.png (394 KB, 1318x819) Image search: [Google]
G-RecoMal.png
394 KB, 1318x819
>>14416735
>On MAL most people who have G-Reco entered on their list dropped it and gave it a low score because of the first few episodes. I'd wager those who actually finished it gave it a higher score than the average, with is like 5, right?

6, but it only had around 10% less viewers than IBO by the end.
>>
>>14416355
>00 not benefiting from TV doesn't really fit with the current assumption that Gundam is hard for western fans to get into due to fear of the franchise.
A) Because it aired on SyFy where nobody was watching it
B) Because it had already garnered huge discussion while it was airing in Japan much like SEED Destiny did despite not airing in the West at all

You have to understand that back then piracy was at an all time high and the only way you could watch these shows us through fansubs compared to now which gives you so many options to watch it legally the competition is much more steep.
>Wouldn't that drive up the torrents?
Yes but it doesn't really matter since you aren't getting an accurate percentile of anything substantial especially if you're using one site as evidence. While people here laugh at the very notion of streaming it is the go to for accurate numbers fir what's popular with general audience since most people don't archive shows nor care much for quality.
>>14416355
From actual overall tallies IBO had more views as a whole than A/Z, a big thing you're missing is the huge drop off A/Z suffered from as it went on which dropped by half when the second season started while IBO grew. So the only thing this data says is that A/Z was very frontloaded and retained none of its numbers.
>>
>>14416735
If MAL userbase don't have DBZ, the most popular anime worldwide, at the top then it really isn't accurate for shit
>>
>>14416948
>>From actual overall tallies IBO had more views as a whole than A/Z, a big thing you're missing is the huge drop off A/Z suffered from as it went on which dropped by half when the second season started while IBO grew. So the only thing this data says is that A/Z was very frontloaded and retained none of its numbers.

Where?
>>
>>14416887
>2301 people are watching Greco
>4901 people have completed it
Something here has to be off. Why would so many people be watching it currently.
>>
>>14417203
They probably have to set it themselves.
>>
Question. Why are we using Western tallies and not focusing on what Japan, you know the target country, viewed it? Because I don't think calculating the amount of illegal downloads will figure anything out
>>
File: 1466863063634.gif (1 MB, 385x256) Image search: [Google]
1466863063634.gif
1 MB, 385x256
>>14417400
Any excuse eh?
>>
>>14417603
Excuse for what?
>>
>>14417631
In a thread about the western reaction to the series shown you are talking about the irrelevant to the discussion at hand Japanese figures because you are unhappy about the stats of x, y, or z.
>>
>>14415244
They had big names, that was more of the marketing.
>>
>>14416948
It didn't just air on Sci-Fi, it aired late at night with a shit dub.
>>
>>14416994
most MAL users are OC with their lists. even though everyone has watched DBZ, not everyone wants to put it on the list because: they dropped it at some point in their childhood but couldn't pinpoint which episode they dropped it with; or they kinda finished the overall gist of the story but they missed so many episodes in between that it doesn't sound right for them to mark it as completed. all these little things lead to not just bother with it and not add DBZ in their list at all.

and about MAL and most audiences outside of Japan, those who are not exposed to mecha on their earlier years of watching anime just can't get into the genre unless it is aimed for otakus or casuals (like Code Geass, TTGL or even Aldnoah). Those that are just relatively new to anime just can't get into mecha at all. and most female otaku/fujos don't watch mecha unless there are convincingly attractive bishies.
been on and off active on MAL back then and these are my observations after talking with different clubs

>>14417660
THIS. by merely mentioning the name of Urobuchi Gen (even though he only did the first 3 episodes), it attracted some/most madokafags and fatefags.
>>
Did you know that if you roll all the sequel and spin-offs of all the top 10 highest rated series on MAL into one Legend of the Galactic Heroes has the highest amount of favorites?

Pretty cool huh?
>>
>>14417706
does this still apply even now? i don't think so
>>
>>14417653
Admittedly on my part I missed that this thread was about the Western opinion
>>
File: Series comparison.jpg (43 KB, 600x463) Image search: [Google]
Series comparison.jpg
43 KB, 600x463
>>14417653
Well, OP was asking about how it performed in the West than in Japan. So naturally, we must talk about how these shows performed in their native country rather as well.

BUT there's a major problem with that. IBO aired in a very, very good timeslot whereas Aldnoah and Reconguista aired in the middle of the night. While 2.25% may not be good for Sunday evening, it would be fucking fantastic for a late night anime. Heck, we don't even have numbers for the last quarter of G-Reco and forget Aldnoah because no one keeps track of them because their timeslots are so remote. So in that regard, the deck is stacked heavily in IBO's favor.

But the true strength of late night anime is in it's disc sales, which we do have. Now, I didn't add IBO's Vol 7 numbers because it hasn't even been out for a week. Vol 5 and 6 have been out for two months and a month respectively.
>>
I'll never understand why argue disc sales in a franchise where it's worst entry is also the best selling.
>>
>>14417107
Derringer, the Bandai sales rep who posts here, says that its garnered great stream numbers from the vendor sites which makes sense given how much it was promoted and if you followed trends online A/Z numbers dropped as it went on which is why your data only extends to the first episode.
>>
>>14415244
>Did they do any marketing outsitde of Japan?
Nope, people just followed it due to the names involved it didn't matter if it was a mecha anime or not. Kabaneri was a another case of people blindly following a show due to its staff credentials and it was just as frontloaded.
>>14415244
>but there is still a large gap between 00, IBO and G-Reco.
00 came out on a different time period and G-Reco wasn't being pushed to Westerners. IBO was the first Gundam anime in years to get a strong push in the West. Hell it even got endorsed through e-celebs.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=esyJCEdPE5c
>>
>>14417653
>western reaction
>using aggregated sites like Nyaa and MAL which don't even make up a significant portion of people who watch anime.
>>
File: 1466125511196.gif (2 MB, 225x315) Image search: [Google]
1466125511196.gif
2 MB, 225x315
>>14415210
Aldnoah's on Netflix and Gundam is too hard for casuals
>>
>>14417400

You are right we should be using official statistics

IBO Youtube Episode 1: 862,852 views
IBO Daisuki Episode1: Unknown
IBO Hulu Episode1: Unknown
IBO Crunchyroll Episode 1: Unknown
IBO Funimation Episode 1: Unknown

IBO Youtube Final Episode: 242,852 views
G-Reco Youtube Episode 1: 282,343 views
G-Reco Daisuki Episode1: Unknown
G-Reco Hulu Episode1: Unknown

G-Reco Youtube Final Episode: 37,076 views

A/Z Youtube Episode 1: No youtube stream
A/Z Crunchyroll Episode 1: Unknown
A/Z Daisuki Episode 1: Unknown

If anything it says IBO has higher official viewing numbers. We can imagine that the stats for the other streaming sites are similar.
>>
File: 1465650465302.png (83 KB, 372x457) Image search: [Google]
1465650465302.png
83 KB, 372x457
>>14415210
>Torrenting one episode at a time
>>
>>14417870
The data didn't only reflect the first episode though.
>>
>>14418082
What is following a show when its airing?
>>
>>14417969
I was going to go on about how G-Reco's youtube experience is different (only started halfway through the show after it developed infamy, blocked in many regions afterwards) but wow. IBO has quite a drop.
>>
File: mal 10.png (314 KB, 1964x900) Image search: [Google]
mal 10.png
314 KB, 1964x900
>>14417706
No, you're wrong
Pic related.

First column is the Most Favourited shows. When you favourite a show on MAL you just have it on your profile listed as a favourite. It's so people get a clear picture of which shows you like the most, and if your tastes add up. It's simply calculated by how many people have those shows as one of their favourites.

Second column is the Top 10 Highest Rated shows. This is calculated like so:
>Weighted Rank (WR) = (v / (v + m)) * S + (m / (v + m)) * C
>S = Average score for the Anime (mean).
>v = Number of votes for the Anime = (Number of people scoring the Anime).
>m = Minimum votes/scores required to get a calculated score (currently 50 scores required).
>C = The mean score across the entire Anime DB.

The reason all the Gintama shows are so high on that particular tab is because even though they largely have less people watching them than the other shows in that view, the people who do watch it generally give it very high ratings on average.
LoGH has the 2nd smallest amount of users watching it on the Top 10, but it's ranked highly for the same reason Gintama is -- those who have seen it give it very high scores. But if you were to cut all the sequels from that list, it would rank 4th.

And the last column speaks for itself -- it's just how many people have it on their list, nothing to do with the rating it has, which a lot of people on 4chan seems to deliberately misunderstand.
>This popularity is measured according to the number of users who have the title in their list. The more users that have the title shown in their Anime or Manga list, the higher it will be ranked.
>>
>>14418286
A lot of the later episodes have about 150k views.
>>
>>14418287
Also, keep in mind that while the Gintama franchise occupies most of the list, it's not evident of MAL's tastes as a whole. The most watched Gintama series only ranks 73rd in terms of users that have it on their list, and of those who have it on their list only 86,902 have actually completed it.
And the reason the newest Gintama series is the highest rated, is because from the 86,336 people who have it on their list - only 25,243 people have completed it and 24,670 are in the process of watching it - it has mostly gotten 10/10s. In fact, it has very high percentage of 10/10s -- almost 60%.
>>
>>14418332
Lastly, of that 86,336 people who have it on their list, 30,719 of them haven't even seen it yet, but have it listed as "Plan to Watch".

There are more people who plan to watch the show, than there are people have actually completed it in full.

So when more people get around to seeing it, it will naturally drop lower down the ranks, and Fullmetal Alchemist Brotherhood can get its undeserved throne back.
>>
>>14418286
Ibo was worse off.

It was not available to the u.s. via YouTube until after it ended in japan.

You could only watch it on daisuki, hulu, cr, funimation or torenting it before hand. So it is amazing that ibo youtube video still had so many views when it was made available despite those other sources when it was finally unblocked.

The gundam. Info youtube channel has different vids for different regions and thus different view counts. If you add those up too, you can see how far ibo was for other countries in terms of reach. It is pretty damn high when summed.
>>
>>14418379
It had more views on anilinkz than youtube from what I saw.

reco had around 900,000 end 100,000
IBO had around 1,000,000 end 400,000
A.Z had around 1,800,000 end 700,000
>>
File: The_more_things_change.png (85 KB, 1141x652) Image search: [Google]
The_more_things_change.png
85 KB, 1141x652
>>14417969
piracy > youtube apparently
>>
>>14418802
Stop making these godawful charts because they don't tell us anything other than your lack of information and sources.
>>
File: vgbhjnm.png (104 KB, 540x441) Image search: [Google]
vgbhjnm.png
104 KB, 540x441
>>14417969
Keep in mind Greco was added late yet still updated weekly for some reason. Plus it was available to everyone at first then got locked out when IBO was always locked for some meaning the start is a bit skewed
>>
>>14418379
>So it is amazing that ibo youtube video still had so many views when it was made available despite those other sources when it was finally unblocked.
Its easy to not realize this, but most people in the world are not comfortable with torrenting.
>>
>>14419853
Bunch of losers.
>>
>>14418885
There is a definite lack of information, but a few sites do post some information on their views(if they aren't lying).

I think the torrent isn't very good, and Kissanime was vague with just being whatever they count as views. So it looks disproportionately high.

Its not good enough to make a good claim. There is a definite lack of user data from sites like Crunchyroll, Hulu, Netflix, Daisuki, or most illegal streaming sites, but its enough for speculation.
>>
Just personally here.

Didn't watch AZ, didn't look like my thing.

Liked Greco pretty much the whole way through.

Liked IBO initially, but thought it really started to drag, was interested by the end.
Thread replies: 64
Thread images: 14

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.