[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Being a big fan of the original series but having never seen
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /m/ - Mecha

Thread replies: 32
Thread images: 5
File: eureka seven ao.jpg (74 KB, 320x450) Image search: [Google]
eureka seven ao.jpg
74 KB, 320x450
Being a big fan of the original series but having never seen the followups, how did the movie and Astral Ocean turn out? Are either of them worth watching?
>>
No
God no.

Stay far far away if you want your memories of Eureka Seven untouched by forced rape and trying to sell a new series by trying to convert it into a sequel to an old one
>>
>>14380747
Listen to this guy. He's saving you from a lot of pain!
>>
>>14380695
>big fan of the original series

Well if you're already that committed to being a retard, you might as well take the plunge into the other two. Who knows? Maybe their being complete shit will help you overcome this shit taste you are ill with.
>>
>>14380747
Better than the E7 novels where the Scub are nanomachines and Renton gives Dewey a verbal smackdown.
>>
>>14380695
No
Stop
Don't even think of doing it.
>>
>>14380845
It's that bad?
>>
>>14380785
This guy gets it.
>>
>>14381030
Did you think dewey was right?

If so, it's great. If not, you're going to hate it.
>>
>>14380695
Forget they exist
They are an illusion a trick of your mind they do not exist.

Anon I'd tell you to go watch Galactia 1980 TV series over this if Galactica 1980 was a TV series and not a single special telling us about the fate of Starbuck.

Thats how badly you should avoid that movie and the show.
>>
>>14380695
Well and yes
>>
Massive, massive wasted potential, probably the most in all my years watching anime.

Fun for like the first 11-12 eps or so when it's mostly MOTW with some plot to move it along like it was originally planned to only have. Great animation, good mecha design, fun characters, and the soundtrack of the year 2012 (or at least a strong contender for it)

Most of the E7 connections were completely squandered (Gekkostate sinks into the ocean, cool The End-looking thing teased for like half the show under GB HQ is unceremoniously destroyed) or turned out to be hardly anything, the plot that was being introduced turned out to be a plothole riddled clusterfuck, Dewey was proven right in the end, etc.

I'd say at least watch those early eps, or well, don't watch, listen to the soundtrack, scrounge up some videos on youtube, and imagine the rest. It'll most likely be better than what the actual story came up with.
>>
>>14380695
absolutely brilliant m8. watched them all multiple times, literally the best anime ever.
>>
>>14381288
This so many squandered plot lines and characters, Ao and Fleur deserved a better anime.
>>
File: 1442015424982.jpg (2 MB, 1068x1700) Image search: [Google]
1442015424982.jpg
2 MB, 1068x1700
It's both a bad sequel and a bad show unto itself, and it completely ruined any discussion of the franchise on the Internet everywhere because of a couple of autists latching onto it.
God, the shitposting. I still have the scars.

AO was so bad you can make a couple of hours of review detailing every aspect of where its storytelling didn't work. It's such a multi-faceted failure, that if there were more than a few thousand people even invested in the franchise, it would warrant making a detailed Plinkett-style review. It's borderline experimental. The truth is probably that nobody actually really wanted to make it, but we don't know the details of the production and probably never will.

At this point I firmly believe that somebody in charge of the franchise is firmly committed to turning every facet of it into a typical "tragic girl" style forced drama, and it permeates every aspect of the franchise - novels, manga, movie, the sequel... except for the original series, so I believe that somebody, some unsung hero, had to fight for the original series to end the way it did (on a happy note).

Some will say that the music was good and... okay, yeah. It was. But you don't have to see the show to listen to the music, and it's still nowhere near the blend of Naoki Sato's heartfelt orchestra and licensed electronic goodness that was the original series.
>>
File: nfufufufufu.gif (3 MB, 480x270) Image search: [Google]
nfufufufufu.gif
3 MB, 480x270
>>14380747
I enjoyed AO though.
>>
>>14382189
Now, this is pretty cute. Is there more?
>>
>>14382189
Well the Executive Producer is the same.
>>
>>14381288
I'd say the point where everything turns to shit is episode 16, aka "the one where Truth becomes an LFO and Ao gets a magical retcon device". Eps 12-16 were the best stretch of the show, from Eureka's appearance to the first use of the Quartz Gun.
>>
>>14382337
Wait, fuck, Truth only got LFO'd a few episodes later? I don't remember that shit anymore. If yes, then you can count in the next few episodes as pretty OK too, though the retcon gun shenanigans have already happened at that point.
>>
LOVED the original Eureka Seven...but I couldn't make it through a few episodes of AO.
>>
File: 1424588285614.jpg (301 KB, 740x1008) Image search: [Google]
1424588285614.jpg
301 KB, 740x1008
>>14380695
I enjoyed the series. I feel like it could have stood on its own but since its technically a sequel its definitely a bad sequel series no question. I think it hits all the weird convoluted sci fi troops the first series hit on but people were expecting eureka seven 2 not this. It was better then what we got as a sequel to last exile that year at least. Fuck me that was bad.
>>
One of the worst cases of misusing time travel as a plot device that I have ever seen. I've more or less blacked out the rest of it.
>>
On the subject of the original series, why did Holland give Renton a gun?In what situation would they need a weapon that they couldn't just use Nirvash for? What was Holland expecting to be beyond the wall?
>>
>>14382536
...there was a Last Exile sequel?
>>
>>14382563
That sounds really impressive, since I'm having a hard time thinking of a sci-fi (especially animu sci-fi) production that really handles it well.
>>
>>14382946
Nobody had any idea what would happen beyond the wall, so Holland wanted Renton to be prepared the best he could be. The gun was there just in case, an additional failsafe, since their success was the world's last chance.

Also, it was sort of a "since you're a man now, it's your job to protect your woman and kids" thing. It was a show of respect from Holland.
>>
>>14382563
>One of the worst cases of misusing time travel as a plot device that I have ever seen.
Except it wasn't time travel retard and no it was far from it.
>>
File: 1464797653146.png (1 MB, 1440x1080) Image search: [Google]
1464797653146.png
1 MB, 1440x1080
>>14381288
>Fun for like the first 11-12 eps or so when it's mostly MOTW with some plot to move it along like it was originally planned to only have.
If you were actually there while it was airing most everyone were complaining about those episodes and how the show was going nowhere and started to get interesting when Eureka showed up again. Anyways your enjoyment of the series is solely dependent on how much you enjoyed E7 because AO pretty much has the exact same flaws that many fans overlooked because they only cared about the characters and not the plot as proven by the Dewey was right meme which showed just how much people actually paid attention. Regardless if you have an open mind its an okay show by itself.
>>
>>14383141
>Except it wasn't time travel retard
There was time travel, there was interdimensional travel and there were timeline manipulation shenanigans all at once in AO.
>>
>>14382563
Time travel and dimension travel. Like at the same time
>>
AO was the worst sequel ever. The movie is meh. But please for the love of god don't watch AO. I just finished it today and I'm waiting on the sweet embrace of death to end me
Thread replies: 32
Thread images: 5

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.