[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
So what is the point of TTGL when Getter Robo Armageddon exists?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /m/ - Mecha

Thread replies: 46
Thread images: 2
File: getter robo.jpg (755 KB, 4096x1911) Image search: [Google]
getter robo.jpg
755 KB, 4096x1911
So what is the point of TTGL when Getter Robo Armageddon exists? TTGL is literally the same thing but much worse in pretty much all regards except maybe its soundtrack.
>>
>>14368046
>So what is the point of TTGL
that way you have something to shitpost about inbetween your mom's boyfriends having you bring them beer and nachos while they fuck her
>>
>>14368046

Well, TTGL was actually an enjoyable entry-level anime to introduce people to super robots.

Getter Robo Armageddon relies too much on being a re-imagining of a much older franchise to stand on its own feet, its pacing kind of sucks, and it tries to be too serious and edgy for what it is.

Not saying you can't enjoy Armageddon, but its a fallacy to call it an TTGL the same show in anything but superficial details. Its like asking why Gundam bothers to exist when Star Wars is already a thing.
>>
>>14368046
You posted this on /a/ yesterday
>>
>>14368046
So what is the point of Getter Robo Armageddon when TTGL exists? Getter Robo Armageddon is literally the same thing but much worse in all regards.
>>
>>14368127
The plot, concept, and characters are almost 1:1 the same thing. Spiral energy is literally a dumbed down Getter Ray.

Also I went in with limited knowledge of the previous series and I admit there are some slight issues in establishing things and it is by no means perfect but I fully understood everything in GRA.

TTGL aped so much from GRA and just kinda dumbed it all down. Even the creators of TTGL say their biggest influence was Getter Robo.

>>14368138
I marathoned all of GRA yesterday and this issue is still bugging me.
>>
Because Armageddon was not properly completed.
>>
>>14368046
You're acting under the false dichotomy that just because one exists, the other shouldn't. You should be happy that both are able to exist and stop trying to force a fanbase war because one side is more likely to have ignorant entry level retards. And it's not like being an smug elitist ass is much better.
>>
>>14368127
>Not saying you can't enjoy Armageddon, but its a fallacy to call it an TTGL the same show in anything but superficial details. Its like asking why Gundam bothers to exist when Star Wars is already a thing.

Star Wars is a pile of horseshit, though.
>>
>>14368127
Oh yeah I totally remember in Gundam when amuro and sayla had to get back to the federation base on earth to deliver information on a giant space fortress zeon had built to blow up earth
oh wait your fucking comparison is retarded as gundam and star wars don't come even close to sharing the amount of shit TTGL and Armageddon does
>>
>>14368423
Except you're missing the parts where TTGL aped a lot of shit from other series as well, including:

>Gunbuster
>ESPECIALLY Diebuster
>Yamato
>Ashita no Joe
>Gurren Lagann itself looks a lot like Gaiking and Zambot
>Plot isn't too far from Zambot either
>You could substitute "G-stones" for "Spiral Energy" or "Getter Rays" and no one could tell the difference

If you're not shitposting, you sound like someone who hasn't watched a lot of older shit. Once you do, you begin to realize that most mecha shows don't have a drop of creativity in them, not even Armageddon. Most of them are content with doing stuff that was already done back in the 70s and early 80s.

TTGL's execution is what you should talk about. Everyone already knows it's completely unoriginal and no one cares.
>>
>>14368046
I thought TTGL was shit as much as the next guy, but you're a faggot. Most of the Getter elements in TTGL were from the manga.
>>
File: time for osore.png (551 KB, 1022x1094) Image search: [Google]
time for osore.png
551 KB, 1022x1094
>>14368046
Why does any over the top anime exist when Aquarion Logos exists?
>>
>>14368392
Just like Getter. Only the Japs care about Getter while Star Wars is internationally love.
>>
>>14368491
This pretty much, TTGL was made as a love letter to all the old stuff the animators watched as children.
>>
>>14368643
>Most of the Getter elements in TTGL were from the manga
Actually, I kinda get where he's coming from by bringing up Armageddon specifically. Armageddon (after the first three episodes) features a post-apocalyptic world where people have been living in underground bunkers for years in no small part due to the monsters on the surface. Gurren Lagann features a (kinda) post-apocalyptic world where people have been living in underground cities for generations because of the monsters on the surface.

Armageddon is also the only Getter work to take place in deep space for its finale (unless you count Arc), just like Gurren Lagann did
>>
>>14369032
I know TTGL is a big homage to a LOT of not just mecha shows but old anime. But the line between homage and ripoff blurs really hard with Armageddon because of the sheer amount of similarities. I watched TTGL first and only watched Armageddon yesterday and just about everything people rave about in TTGL is in Armageddon.

>>14369069
The time skip is the opposite of each other to the point it feels like parody. Armageddon goes from advanced society to wasteland living underground with the world ruled by the alien menace, TTGL goes from wasteland living underground with the world ruled by the alien menace to future society. When they go into space and the final battle, everything in TTGL just feels like a note for note copy except just handled worse. I remember hearing somewhere that the statistic was 80% of TTGL was inspired by Getter and specifically Armageddon, and while whoever said that percentage was exaggerating/paraphrasing what the creators said it really feels that extreme.
>>
>>14368046
>So what is the point of TTGL when Getter Robo Armagedddon exists?
Because having multiple excellent super robot shows is a good thing? Are New Getter and Shin vs. Neo pointless because of Armageddon?
>>
>>14369843
Yes, and they're all redundant and pointless because of toei.
>>
>>14368165
It's Getter as a while they took inspiration/ lifted shit from, not directly Armageddon. The lead writer was even an editor at Dynamic Pro
>>
I honestly wish people would stop acting like diehard Getter fanatics when they've only seen Armageddon.
>>
>>14373654
New Getter Robo never gets enough love, even though it has the most balanced cast and mecha.
>>
>>14373654
>>14373654
I never claimed to be, I just think GRA is great and the amount that TTGL takes specifically from GRA specifically is absurd.

GRA was great all around though and I'm hooked so I am diving into New Getter Robo next and then might go through chronologically afterwards or go to Shin afterwards.
>>
>>14368127
>Getter Robo Armageddon relies too much on being a re-imagining
That doesn't make sense given the fact that Getter Robo Armageddon was intensely popular when it was released in the 90s and most of those people who enjoyed had never watched Getter Robo in their lives.
>>
>>14373778
New Getter Robo is pretty good, if only it had a slightly higher budget (but did have good art direction to make up for it), and I didn't care for the New Getter mech designs, I like the classic style better, but I understand why they redesigned them.
>>
>>14373787
Not to mention it's still popular due most (nearly all?) new merch for Getter is GRA-related.
>>
>>14373819
>due most (nearly all?) new merch for Getter is GRA-related
I don't think that's true.
>>
>>14373814
Still the best middle ground between the classic style and the Shin inspired types. I'm also grateful Getter-3 is no longer a crippled tank.
>>
>>14373830
They are rereleasing and making new figures for Getter coming out in the next 3 months. Guess whats the series they are all for.
>>
Oh wow look at all these vague plot similarities, Wow! There's a mysterious green energy like every other fucking super robot show what a ripoff! Let me completely disregard any specifics like characterization and theme! Or I'll just pretend that Getter Robo Armageddon had a plot line where a young boy went through a long coming of age process involving a romance with a ditzy princess girl, man Getter Robo has so much of that!
>>
>>14368046
>So what is the point of Getter Robo Armageddon when TTYL exists? Getter Robo Armageddon is literally the same thing but much worse in pretty much all regards except maybe its soundtrack.

Fixed
>>
>>14376602
>ttgl
>shittier action
>shittier music
>same plot
>shittier characters
>>
Why is there such a "us vs. them" mentality between Getter and TTGL fans on this board? I would have assumed the two series had a lot of crossover appear. Most mecha fans I know personally enjoy both.
>>
>>14382448
people who like them don't make threads
people who want attention make threads
an us vs them mentality is a good way of getting attention
>>
>>14382448
And I do as well. They hit a lot of the same notes for things that I like.

A lot of it comes down to Getter autists being pissed off and embarrassed at TTGL's success with casuals who don't know better.
>>
>>14382448
Wasn't my intention. As someone who enjoyed TTGL and only just saw all of Armageddon I was floored by how similar the two pieces were. I know TTGL is supposed to be a send up to all the classics including Getter Robo but the staunch amount of similarities go way past homage in my opinion.
>>
>>14376538
The funny thing is that TTGL has a lot more in common with SDF Macross than GR Armageddon, but the sort of people who make threads like these only pick up on the most surface-level plot elements in a given work
>>
>>14384432
I don't see any similarities other than both stories involving a gigantic lone space battleship that can transform into a robot that is the only hope of the human race.
>>
>>14384506
-Main character is pulled into a conflict much larger than him by a cocky mentor who, despite his seemingly greater skill, believes in the shy & indecisive protag
-Mentor dies in a fight about 1/3 of the way through the series, after promising to his lover that he'll return and spend some quality time with her. This sends the protag into a slump, but ultimately allows him to grow out of his shell and become a stronger man
-Protag falls in love with a cute ditzy girl
-The main villain of the first arc is beaten about 2/3 into the series, and humanity begins to rebuild on the destroyed surface of the world. They make their capital city around the stationary remnants of a giant mecha involved in the final battle.
-The next few episodes are focused on the conflict between the military protags who ended the conflict, vs. civilians/politicians who want peace, until a new threat emerges
-Ep. 15 battle plays out in a similar way to the final charge in DYRL. Dai-Gurren basically penetrates Teppelin Tower with a Daedalus Attack
>>
>>14384432
>>14384584
I have read some shit on this board but this takes the cake.
>>
>>14368127
>Well, TTGL was actually an enjoyable entry-level anime to introduce people to super robots
And sadly that is all. A lot of people swoon over TTGL and doesn't want to go further. I asked a lot of TTGL watcher to go and watch other Super Robots, they don't want it.

If any TTGL is not a starter pack, but something that looked pretty on the shelves and people buy it just because it's pretty.
>>
>>14386338
>A lot of people swoon over TTGL and doesn't want to go further.
This meme needs to die.
>>
>>14386367
Go ask any people who watched TTGL and think it's awesome. Go give them something similar and they give 1001 excuses.
>>
>>14386379
TTGL was the first mecha anime I watched. I immediately wanted more and watched Gunbuster, Mazinkaiser, GaoGaiGar, and G Gundam after.
>>
>>14386385
Good for you.
Wish the same could be said for many people.
>>
>>14386367
Its 100% true, very few go on to see the Mecha that inspired TTGL and instead just only watch TTGL and praise it as some super original god send of a show. I only rode its dick when it was coming out, acknowledging its a very flawed show soon after, but it took me until recently to actually give Mecha a chance.
Thread replies: 46
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.