[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
MSG
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /m/ - Mecha

Thread replies: 24
Thread images: 5
File: char_2494.jpg (24 KB, 210x240) Image search: [Google]
char_2494.jpg
24 KB, 210x240
Should I continue watching Gundam if i didn't like 0079? I mean i like it a lot until the newtype thing, I dont really understand it.
>>
>>14367979
>Not understanding understanding
Your soul is weighed down by gravity
>>
>>14367979
No
>>
Zeta will be a hell of a ride for you.
>>
>>14367979
No. You don't even consider it anymore if you don't understand the space Autism.
>>
>>14367979
Nope. If the newtype thing turned you off, don't watch anything else from the Universal Century. Ever. Except "War in the Pocket."
>>
>>14367979
Just watch 0080
>>
File: monsha is hopeful.jpg (7 KB, 213x236) Image search: [Google]
monsha is hopeful.jpg
7 KB, 213x236
>>14367979
You should totally watch 0083! No Newtypes at all!
>>
>>14367979
I was indifferent to the space ghost thing in 0079 but it's explored better in Zeta.
Zeta does have other kind of problems though.
>>
So can someone explain newtypes to me?
>>
>>14367979
Something that fucking psychedelic is not meant for human comprehension
>>
The following series do not feature Newtypes

0080 War in the Pocket
0083 Stardust Memory
G Gundam
Gundam Wing
08th MS Team
Gundam Wing Endless Waltz
G-Saviour
MS IGLOO
Iron Blooded Orufenzu
>>
File: 1440844360214.jpg (41 KB, 640x480) Image search: [Google]
1440844360214.jpg
41 KB, 640x480
>>14368539
Newtypes are humans with who have achieved Mary Sue-level cognitive abilities because living in space requires a heightened sense of spatial awareness. The reasoning behind this is that people on Earth are literally tied down by gravity and are effectively locked into a 2D plane of movement whereas in outer space one would have to adapt to routinely moving through 3 dimensions. Newtype abilities can appear to an observer to be similar to ESP in that a newtype can psychically understand another human's mind and can sense incoming attacks even when their eyes are focused elsewhere. However, 0079 repeatedly denies the claim that newtypes are equivalent to espers. Generally, a newtype can be defined as someone that can immediately understand a given situation just by intuition (according to some dialogue in F91). Within the UC timeline, the term newtype is also frequently conflated with a person who has natural piloting abilities because that's where their abilities are most apparent.
>>
>>14368539
>TFW the moon will always be there
Mutants
>>
>>14368926
The difference with ESPers would be mostly to limit the reaches of those natural abilities and to imply it's a potential everybody could reach in the future.
I always liked to think that because humans are naturally social and communication in space is difficult, the newtype ability to sense each other's minds was a way to keep people connected. It'd also promote a deep sense of understanding that should end with petty squabbles. But yeah, that didn't happen.
>>
>>14368964
>I always liked to think that because humans are naturally social and communication in space is difficult, the newtype ability to sense each other's minds was a way to keep people connected.
The thematic connection is definitely there, but yeah the point of a lot of UC works is to show that mutual understanding doesn't prevent conflict from emerging. Petty squabbles can be averted (such as Kamille not blaming Jerid for his mother's death), but fundamental differences in perspective inevitably gives rise to even greater conflicts.
>>
> His oldest son Gihren Zabi, a man with a taste for Japanism

Gihren was a weeaboo? I thought he was 1488?
>>
>>14368964
>It'd also promote a deep sense of understanding that should end with petty squabbles. But yeah, that didn't happen.

Newtype or not, humans gonna human - Pimptimus was a dick, Haman was bitch etc.
Being Newtype doesn't really matter in the end, it still depends on the individual people.
>>
>>14370031
Scirocco was right.
>>
>>14368464
not OP but I'm watching zeta now, about ep. 30.

Seems like 70% of the episodes are just "good guys and bad guys sortie to some point between both their ships, shoot at each other until a named character's mobile suit takes damage, then everyone on both sides gives up and runs home."

does it get more interesting?
>>
>>14368926

Or they could just be Mutants like what DOME said in X.

I blame the minovsky particles.
>>
File: pedometer.png (511 KB, 719x520) Image search: [Google]
pedometer.png
511 KB, 719x520
What did she mean by this?
>>
>>14370821
DOME also said they weren't really new. People with exceptional abilities and/or heightened awareness have always existed throughout history. "Newtype" is just a new word for an old thing.
>>
>>14367979
>I don't really understand it

Subtle.
Thread replies: 24
Thread images: 5

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.