[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Why didn't everyone in that room incinerate, or at the least,
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /m/ - Mecha

Thread replies: 39
Thread images: 8
File: vlcsnap-2016-06-13-01h38m05s330.png (989 KB, 1280x720) Image search: [Google]
vlcsnap-2016-06-13-01h38m05s330.png
989 KB, 1280x720
Why didn't everyone in that room incinerate, or at the least, get third degree burns, from being in such close proximity?

These things are hot enough to cut through mobile suits quickly, yet, only things in the immediate path of the "blade" are affected?
>>
>>14352097

Because beam swords do not produce radiating heat except in bad ovas
>>
>>14352097
Particle magic contains the energy within the shape of the blade. You're A-okay a few feet away from it.
>>
It's on a low energy setting.

It's also equipped by a GM so that makes the output even WEAKER and LOWER energy.
>>
File: 099.jpg (1 MB, 2415x3328) Image search: [Google]
099.jpg
1 MB, 2415x3328
>>14352112
Nah, GMs have carried the same class of weaponry as the RX-78 with similar output, just made more cheaply. You forget that Ramba Ral came within inches of the Gundam's beam sabre.

As far as I know, nearly all if not most OYW Feddy MS with beam sabres have all had them rated at 0.38 MW or "unknown", I don't ever remember there being any stronger beam sabres.

Besides, even in Victory that girl didn't get vaporized until she touched the beam.

And this is a recurring thing in Gundam, every time a cockpit gets slashed or stabbed with a beam sabre, it doesn't make a hole much wider than the width of the beam. There might be some burn marks around the hole, but the rest of the cockpit doesn't start melting or smoking.
>>
>>14352131
what if the plasma was just an indicator for where the saber was located, and the cutting power is done by the containment field required to make the blade shape?
>>
>>14352103
>Thundercunts are this delusional
>>
>>14352144
I'm not sure what you're getting at. The containment field doesn't do cutting, it just controls the shape of the plasma with magnetic fields and minovsky pseudoscience. The high temperature plasma inside the field is what does the cutting (melting through armor).
>>
File: 1417414015597.jpg (332 KB, 1600x871) Image search: [Google]
1417414015597.jpg
332 KB, 1600x871
>>14352131
higher end MS like ZZ and EX-S have beam sabers rated at 1.3 MW while Nu's hyper beam saber is .85 MW.
>>
>>14352194
Yeah I know but I'm talking about Feddy MS from the One Year War, because that guy thinks that OYW Gundams and GMs had stronger and weaker beam sabres respectively.

As far as I can find, all OYW Feddy beam sabres are rated at 0.38 MW or "unknown".
>>
The scene itself was great, perfectly executed grimdark that made me feel like shit.
>>
File: vlcsnap-2016-06-13-15h47m17s923.png (2 MB, 1276x1440) Image search: [Google]
vlcsnap-2016-06-13-15h47m17s923.png
2 MB, 1276x1440
Here is another scene from Thunderbolt.
Beam saber passed through the cockpit, yet....only Daryl's arm was injured. No crazy burns, I guess.
>>
>>14353651
How come it spilled blood all over the place?

Shouldn't the wound be immediately cauterized?
>>
>>14353667
I dunno and yes, that was my thinking
>>
File: beam sabered zeeks.webm (3 MB, 1280x720) Image search: [Google]
beam sabered zeeks.webm
3 MB, 1280x720
>>14352207
I think the only way it could have been worse is if one of the Feddie soldiers said "Hey Cornelius great job keeping them distracted!" And it's implied that Karla hears it and then her mind breaks.
>>
>space
>radiant heat
through WHAT
>>
>>14353734
>radiant heat
>needing a medium
>>
>>14353741
>>14353734
Let's send this to Niel Tyson DeGrasi aka Black Science Guy and ask him to debunk it or prove it.
>>
>>14353734
You answered your own question. Heat radiates.
>>
>>14353734
This Anon is right. The freezing vacuum of space is what protects the Earth from the deadliness of the Sun's heat. We're plenty warm thanks to all the radioactive decay going on in the core and residual heat from the planet's formation, but if you were to add solar energy to the mix? We'd be toasted.
>>
File: vlcsnap-2016-06-05-15h45m51s766.png (1 MB, 1920x1080) Image search: [Google]
vlcsnap-2016-06-05-15h45m51s766.png
1 MB, 1920x1080
>>14353752
Can't tell what you are arguing.

Are you saying that heat needs a medium or not?
Are you saying that we do NOT receive heat from the sun? Because we kind of do.

Is it a mystery that the planets, that are closer to the sun, are much hotter (on the face facing the sun) than the planets that are further away?
>>
>>14352097
>These things are hot enough to cut through mobile suits quickly, yet, only things in the immediate path of the "blade" are affected?
Yep.
That's how they work.

It's like this:
You project an I-Field in the shape of a long cylinder. You fill that I-Field with fresh plasma from the reactor. The plasma cannot exit the I-Field, but physical matter can enter the I-Field. So when you swing this cylindrical I-Field around so that it intersects solid matter (like a mobile suit's arm) the solid matter inside the I-Field is affected by the megaparticle plasma but the I-Field is still intact (passing through the solid matter) so the plasma stays in the beam saber's blade.

Yes, there IS a question of why the plasma doesn't radiate heat through the I-Field, but since it's a non-existent fsci-fi orce field they can just hand-wave it saying that it contains the heat.
>>
There's something about just straight up vapourisation that's somehow more horrifying for me than shooting them dead. I mean, it makes no difference; bullet to the brain, beam saber to the ass, you're dead either way. But just seeing a human body flash away into nothingness so effortlessly, as if the person had never even been there, has always just been creepy for me on a level beyond even horrific gorey death.
>>
>>14353775
>Are you saying that heat needs a medium or not?
>Are you saying that we do NOT receive heat from the sun? Because we kind of do.
Heat does need a medium.
The medium by which heat is transmitted from the sun to the Earth is by radiation, which transfers significantly less heat than by conduction/convection.
>>
>>14353805
That would answer why beam sabers don't shoot out like laserguns to infinity distance.
>>
>>14353992
Radiation isn't a medium.
>>
>>14353992
Radiation isn't a medium, it's a mechanism. Medium refers to a material through which something is transferred, i.e. copper is a medium and conduction is the mechanism by which heat is transferred.
>>
>>14354002
Radiation is totally a medium, unless you want to be pedantic and say that the light that the radiation is made of is the medium.
>>
>>14352097
The long and short of it is that the beam saber only heats things that are touching it. The air simply doesn't convect the heat away fast enough and any metal is heated so rapidly that it looses it's thermal conductivity faster than it conducts the heat.

Air is a shitty conductor of heat. You could be two inches away from a hot pan and be scalding but three feet away and you'd never know if it was hot or not. I suppose the radiative heat might be a factor but at 0.4 MW? Not enough to do damage.
>>
>>14354012
If anything, empty space would be the medium.

Think of waves in water: The water is the medium by which the waves propagate through. The wave is not the water itself. It is the disturbance of the water.
>>
>>14352150

It's true though, the only time you see a beam saber being used to heat something is in the notoriously terrible 008th MS Team
>>
>>14355946
It can thought, but with some degree of power output.

If you said that then beam polarization stunt the Io pull in Antartic is also pretty stupid.
>>
>>14354012
>Radiation is totally a medium, unless you want to be pedantic and say that the light that the radiation is made of is the medium.

No. Heat transfer is due to one or more of the following :

- conduction
- convection
- radiation

Heat transfer by conduction or convection requires a material medium. Heat transfer by radiation doesn't need a material medium. IE you can transfer heat by radiation through a vacuum. Think heat transfer through interplanetary space or insterstellar space.
>>
File: vlcsnap-2016-06-15-00h42m33s957.png (2 MB, 1280x1436) Image search: [Google]
vlcsnap-2016-06-15-00h42m33s957.png
2 MB, 1280x1436
Oh god. Okay...so...if only things in the immediate path of the blade, then how is this damage possible?
>>
>>14359232

Because the superheated metal starts eating at the non superheated metal

Or

something
>>
>>14359232
Maybe they cracked up the setting?
>>
>>14352207
>perfectly executed grimdark that made me feel like shit.

Really? That scene filled me with pure joy as I laughed out loud and yelled "GET FUCKED ZEEKS!"
>>
>>14353748
>Niel Tyson DeGrasi

Nah, lets not ask that narcissistic cunt anything.
>>
File: page122.jpg (388 KB, 847x1200) Image search: [Google]
page122.jpg
388 KB, 847x1200
>>14359232
Io cranks up the Beam Saber to max output after he loses his ranged weapons
Thread replies: 39
Thread images: 8

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.