[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
http://www.nyaa.se/?user=55246 If you love obscure tokusats
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /m/ - Mecha

Thread replies: 33
Thread images: 2
File: mirrorman.jpg (42 KB, 338x400) Image search: [Google]
mirrorman.jpg
42 KB, 338x400
http://www.nyaa.se/?user=55246

If you love obscure tokusatsu, it's your lucky day! Among others, this account has been uploading PD rips of shows like Mirrorman, Giant Robo and Barom-1. He's only using Japanese for the titles but it's nothing that a translation or cross reference can't fix. You might even find something surprising if you check a title at random. He doesn't seem to be slowing down either so check back in periodically.

In case you're interested in any of the three shows I singled out, I'll spare you the trouble and just offer up direct links

Giant Robo:
http://www.nyaa.se/?page=view&tid=809539

Mirrorman + Mirror Fight:
http://www.nyaa.se/?page=view&tid=804414

Barom-1:
http://www.nyaa.se/?page=view&tid=816007

I recommend checking out Mirrorman above all others. It's something like an X-Files to Ultraseven's Star Trek. I love it to pieces and so should you.
>>
>>14344325
oh damn, that's cool
>>
>>14344325
What does "PD" stand for?
>>
>>14344860
Japanese p2p software called Perfect Dark. This is a lot easier.

By the way, if these don't work in your media player it's because of x265. Essentially, update your codecs (or ditch VLC; whichever comes first). Latest editions of CCCP will have you covered.
>>
>>14344933
I updated me CCCP a few weeks ago but it still didnt work even when i updated again just now. Not really sure how to make this play.
>>
>>14345029
My problem was an outdated 32-bit version of CCCP that I still had on my machine from 2013 that the file extension had been defaulting to. I reassigned it to my usual 64-bit edition and that did the trick. Of course, I can't say that this will work for you as well nor do I know if you're compatible with 64-bit or if that's what you already have but that's how I personally resolved the problem.

You could also always try out Kawaii Codec Pack. I can't recall if it's this or the other way around but I think that one gets updated more frequently. I've occasionally hopped between them when one ends up being more out of date than the other. My other suggestion is, whether changing the codec pack or updating the one you have, try a complete uninstall first just to make sure everything is fresh.
>>
a couple that stand out for me
Star Wolf
http://www.nyaa.se/?page=view&tid=812366
aka Fugitive Alien

Captain Ultra
http://www.nyaa.se/?page=view&tid=811950

Saru no Gundan (Army of the Apes aka Time of the Apes)
http://www.nyaa.se/?page=view&tid=811949
>>
>>14344325
>I recommend checking out Mirrorman above all others

I'm Hideaki Anno and I approved this message.
>>
>>14344325
Thanks a lot, now it'll be possible to see how Giant Robo differs from Johnny Sokko.
>Mirrorman
>gets retooled into being more like Ultraman midway through
Being Tsuburaya is suffering.
>>
>>14345499
>Thanks a lot, now it'll be possible to see how Giant Robo differs from Johnny Sokko.
iirc there's a bit of time cuts but not much else
>>
>>14345499
It turns out Johnny Sokko was extremely faithful, right down to having the original music. I think the commercial release is sourced from a more recent Toei transfer and the time shaving was reversed due to resync. But that's just what I think. The fact that it wasn't dual audio instead suggests that they did no such thing.

And don't knock Mirrorman's retool until you've seen it! It sucks that it happened but the second half is still pretty damn great and is a rock solid sister series to Return of Ultraman. Of course, part of why it had to happen was due to stiff competition with shows like Kamen Rider and Silver Mask, the latter being its direct rival since its creative team worked on the original Ultra trilogy. If it makes you feel any better, I think the execution is nowhere near as drastic and heartbreaking as when I learned the reason why Yuko was suddenly kicked off Ultraman Ace.
>>
http://www.nyaa.se/?page=view&tid=437745

By the way, it's from a different uploader so this is for anybody who wants MIRRORMAN REFLEX to go with their download of the TV series. Seeds for this torrent are extremely rare so get it while you have the chance! I can't recommend it enough if you're a fan of both Tsuburaya and especially if you love Chiaki J. Konaka.
>>
>>14345886
>when I learned the reason why Yuko was suddenly kicked off Ultraman Ace.

Actually what was the reason?
>>
>>14345886
Oh, well that's pretty understandable then. In that case, I can watch it and look forward to eventual subs all the more (even if Hi No Tori end up being the ones to pick up Mirrorman).
>>
>>14346034
Nerds got pissed that a woman was co-host to an Ultra. Yeah, this happened even in 1972. They got enough nasty letters about her that they finally caved and got rid of her by episode 28. It sucks because I liked Yuko and getting rid of her defeated the show's whole point about trying to keep the Ultra formula from stagnating.
>>
>>14346314
That sucks.
>>
>>14346294
Yeah, the retool was primarily to make it more of a superhero program. On the flip side, Silver Mask apparently got a full lobotomy out of similar demands and was it cancelled as a result. It's hard to overstate just what a game changer Kamen Rider was in its first year alone.
>>
>>14346376
>On the flip side, Silver Mask apparently got a full lobotomy out of similar demands and was it cancelled as a result. It's hard to overstate just what a game changer Kamen Rider was in its first year alone.
To be fair, it's also probably because they did the retool in the most unsavory way possible, and then followed up with bog-standard giant monster stuff. Episode 10 is the only reason people still bring it up unprompted anymore.
>>
>>14346703
Wow, was Silver Kamen's retooling really that bad? I've never been able to find a download for that series so it's an enigma. Wasn't it at one time going to come out on R1, from the same guys who picked up Red Baron and Iron King? I'm curious; what are the specifics on just how badly they screwed that show?
>>
>>14346737
Well, I was watching the DVD raws with summaries, so I don't know what the dialogue was like, but from what I remember, one of the monsters infiltrates the faculties of the hero's support, and slaughters most of the supporting cast up to that point. It was all presented in a trippy way, but it wasn't enough to buttress the episode, and by the start of the next episode the MC just kind of fucks off. We get a small clip of the funeral in the following episode before the title sequence, and after that the surviving team farts around until they get to the gimmick that turns Silver Mask into a giant.

It's been years since I watched it, though, so I'm sure I've left out some details. All the sites that used to have info on it either died or trimmed it down, so I can't even double check. I wish I had saved the DVD images - the 1st half of the show wasn't actually that bad for its time.
>>
>>14346737
>>14347047

There was also a reboot in 2006.

http://tokusatsu.wikia.com/wiki/Die_Silbermaske
>>
on the subject of random toku, are there copies of the stuff from Sukeban Deka that got production music replacements on the dvds?
>>
>>14346314
Actually, I'd expect that kind of shitty thing to happen in 1972. That it still happens is a travesty.

On a semi-related note, I think kowtowing to bitchy "fans" in this manner also held back Ultraman Leo and 80.
>>
>>14347047
>principal cast gets murdered and then the show halts everything to be an Ultraman clone
Oh. Yeah, jeez. That IS pretty tasteless. Wow.

>>14347107
Huh, so then Akio Jissoji returned to fix his baby's legacy with a gender-flipped remake? Well damn, that actually sounds really interesting. I think I'd still love to see Silver Kamen just for reference on how Silbermaske functions as their second opportunity.
>>
>>14347225
Welcome to the Ultra franchise. It's so trapped in its traditions that it took Bandai's involvement to have the formula updated slightly without anyone going into a panic attack. I mean, imagine if Sentai or Rider were forced to be more like their very first entries!

The biggest victim has to be Nexus, arguably.
>>
>>14347225
Well, I don't know if we're drawing the same parallel. Specifically in regards to Ace, Yuko was so widely disliked because little boys clearly would have preferred for the show to only be about the male character since that wouldn't get in the way of sharing a power fantasy with a woman. Older viewers, the otaku who had been around since 1966 and who had the authority to complain more provocatively, were angry because women were entering the work force and they objected to her co-hosting a male Ultra and being on equal footing with a male counterpart. I suspect that this sentiment might not have even been quite so fierce if they hosted two entirely separate Ultras but then that would have the side effect of making the average fight sequence and team up episodes even harder to organize.
>>
>>14347342
I dunno if I really need a "welcome" since I've been a fan for a pretty long time. I can still be upset about stuff, damn it.

>>14347465
> Well, I don't know if we're drawing the same parallel.

I did say semi-related because the only real parallel that exists is that the shows were each retooled from their original premise.

> I suspect that this sentiment might not have even been quite so fierce if they hosted two entirely separate Ultras but then that would have the side effect of making the average fight sequence and team up episodes even harder to organize.

There's also the cost of having to make and upkeep two suits to take into consideration.
>>
>>14347549
>There's also the cost of having to make and upkeep two suits to take into consideration.

Absolutely. I'm sure they wanted to have their own spin on Kamen Rider's dual protagonist formula, but Tsuburaya prides itself on actually having a budget and producing quality footage. It was their one edge on Toei, who were a lot more willing to embrace a pulpy manga style. And but of course, two Ultras would also beg the question of why they couldn't just take turns to subvert the Color Timer, which was intended as a way of mitigating how labor-intensive their fight scenes were.
>>
>83.9 GB worth of raws

I really need to get an external hard drive. Seeds will probably die on this soon.
>>
> (特撮 DVD)電撃‼ストラダ5 (1974) 全13話 (640x480 x264)【MagicStarRaws】

BunnyHat has also encoded this series if interested.

http://www.nyaa.se/?page=view&tid=776124&showfiles=1

Big Nova has expressed interest in eventuallly subbing this, but first he's focusing on Bycrosser (a really cool show you should check out)
>>
>>14348436
Plus it has Japanese Dr. Claw as the villain, with the kind of "face" only a mother could love.
>>
Bumping for weekday toku crowd.
>>
>>14347047
All the talk about SIlver Kamen just makes me more curious about the actual show. Where can I find the RAWs or ISOs? I've wanted to see it for a very long time and I wonder if there's still some place it's being hosted on that I just wasn't aware of.
Thread replies: 33
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.