[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Why do people say Genocyber is awful? I thought it was quite
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /m/ - Mecha

Thread replies: 72
Thread images: 13
File: 00a.jpg (197 KB, 1456x1138) Image search: [Google]
00a.jpg
197 KB, 1456x1138
Why do people say Genocyber is awful? I thought it was quite pretty good and consistently entertaining. You had awesome music with your gore and tons of tragedy.

People say it's confusing and doesn't make any sense when it's actually simple. Why? There's 2 sisters who have psychic powers, one of them who acts like an animal. That's the basic premise. It's Elfen Lied except gorier. There doesn't need to be 20 episodes with pseudo-science explaining how this shit works.

This seems to be a problem with all of the director's work in the west. They all get the same kind of complaints when his stories are always simple. I don't get it.

Also that ED song
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DTHJkeqRt-8
>>
>>14337554
IIIIIII-IIIII
I WANT YOU
AND LOVE YOU FAIRY DREEEAMIIIIN
>>
>>14337554
It's just that people feel the need to make themselves look more mature by dissing what they liked when they were 16. Which is to say ultraviolent anime.

Now, about Ohata's works in particular, it's because he was at one point overhyped as hell, so there was a backlash.
>>
>>14337554
The mainstream anime fanbase consists of nu male SJWs who are triggered by animated violence. It's the same reason the based Violence Jack OVA is hated.
>>
>>14337620
I kind of understand the Violence Jack OVAs since they're a little inconsistent and lack something that the manga has. They should have adapted the first volume involving the earthquake and the kid.
>>
>>14337554
It might be because there's a consistent story progression in the first three episodes that gets thrown out the window in the last two when they pull that 500 year time skip. Those last two episodes don't even feel like the same show and don't really attempt to get back into the same groove until close to the very end. Even then, I wouldn't say it's awful by any stretch of the imagination. It has basically everything you'd want out of an 80's/90's OVA. It's actually objectively better story-wise than Ohata's other OVA's, as much as I love those.

I do think a lot of it comes down to what>>14337620 said, but I wouldn't go so far as to call everybody who dislikes this sort of thing faggot limp-wristed SJW numales. As far as personal taste goes, this shit really isn't for everybody and it never makes any attempt to present itself as such. A lot of people don't like ridiculously gory RIP AND TEAR type stuff, and it's always been that way, the recent wave of very visible hypersensitive pussies has nothing to do with it. I can completely understand why shows like Genocyber and Violence Jack would be extremely off-putting to a lot of people, and that's okay. I just don't share the same sentiment.
>>
>>14337554

Half the time people who say they couldn't continue and hated it was because of the gore. Mainly the children getting blasted to pieces by helicopter's at the beginning of the first episode. I think Genocyber's gore is perfect, allot of anime gore is just humorous and bad, Genocyber manages to keep right at the most extreme level possible before it just turns into a comedy, and choreographs it all in a pretty masterful way, that in itself takes some skill.

Also, all the Mecha/Monsters from Episode 1 are incredibly well designed. I love the two mecha/monsters the bounty hunters turn into, their transformation sequences made me a bit squeamish too.

Episode 1 is a masterpiece visually, and it gets across it's themes and the general vibe it wanted to portray extremely well imo. It even had some nice, albeit brief, relationship building between Elaine and the urchin boy. The show kinds of peaks on Episode 1, which I would give a 9/10. Episode 2 and 3 are more of the same, though a bit uninspired, and episode 4 and 5 are good enough in their own right, but again not amazing like episode 1. I did'nt even mind the timeskip and the plot was interesting to me. even if it was'nt anything that special.

The ED is incredible, I agree with that. The background music was great as well.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QO9YH3GWI3I
>>
>>14337554

Ohata anime has great music in general.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IacgoGWOi5M

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bMC57r4PPsw

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fxHSyPrpkdM
>>
>>14337554
The source material (the manga itself) is incomplete, and the anime is a convoluted mess.

But don't take my word for it:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=95tcV0XCwLU
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4sBzSldY3qo
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8x0optToJfg
>>
File: genocyber.png (961 KB, 865x643) Image search: [Google]
genocyber.png
961 KB, 865x643
>>14338160
Why would I watch some nerd's Youtube video on why a good OVA is bad?

>>14338112
>Mainly the children getting blasted to pieces by helicopter's

That scene was really sad. For the second time she tried to help someone they died. Anyone who got involved with her was doomed from the beginning.

>Also, all the Mecha/Monsters from Episode 1 are incredibly well designed.

The transformation for the female one was the most disturbing thing in the entire show.

I actually liked 4 and 5 a lot because we got to see Diana again and the relationship with the boy and the blind girl was fun.
>>
>>14337608
>It's just that people feel the need to make themselves look more mature by dissing what they liked when they were 16. Which is to say ultraviolent anime.

The irony being that many of those same people embraced it back then BECAUSE they felt it was more mature.

The quest for perceived adulthood makes fools of us all.
>>
>>14338199
Remember when 08th MS Team was the most gritty and realistic thing in the world?
>>
>>14337554
The only people who disliked Genocyber are some fags on ann.
Now what I really don't get is people who say that the plot is "confusing" or "doesn't make sense"
Everything seems like a pretty natural linear sequence of events to me

>bitches blew up hongkong so they fuck off to some backwater islands and hang over there
>war starts and they get caught up in it
>they get pissed off again after the millitary attacks them and murders their friends and wage a war against earth. This has a compounding effect. Genocyber is attacked for being dangerous, so they blow up the army and probably some civvies, so then the army attacks them again for being dangerous
>after a while of this constant fighting humanity regresses somewhat, genocyber goes to sleep to end the carnage
>later on genocyber gets awakened and goes off into space so they can't hurt anyone anymore the end
>>
>>14338122
>tfw Ohata will never be given a blank cheque to do whatever he wants ever again

I miss the bubble.
>>
>>14337554
>Why do people say Genocyber is awful?

Because it's incredibly nihilistic which turns a lot of people off. Personally I love it and think it's one of the best stories that really nails the "OH SHIT WE'RE ON A FAST TRAIN RIDE TO HELL AND THERE'S NO BREAKS" an apocalyptic story should have but it's very easy to understand why everyone wouldn't like that. It's kinda neat that tonally it's almost the exact opposite of MD Geist despite both being set in a world full of nothing but suffering.
>>
>>14337554
Because it is.
>>
File: genocyber3.png (378 KB, 500x514) Image search: [Google]
genocyber3.png
378 KB, 500x514
>>14340954
Why?
>>
>>14337554
Too violent and bleak for normalfags.
>>
>>14338466
lel
>>
File: image.jpg (1 MB, 2448x3010) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
1 MB, 2448x3010
Great to see some Ohata love on /m/. Really underrated masterpiece that they were able to build up from an incomplete manga! Guess it's a better time than ever to post my Ohata fanart of Genocyber and Cybernetics Guardian!
>>
>>14337554
/m/ has big part in my paradigm shit toward anime. Now-a-days,I appreciate overlooked anime like Genocyber.
>>
>>14337554
>It's Elfen Lied except gorier
And Elfen Lied was just as fucking garbage as Genocyber
>>
>>14337554
Because it lacks any substance.

You aren't really given reason to care about either of the sisters, the boy, or the antagonists.

The antagonists goal is vague, and the world building is weak.

This was a series that would have benefited from some more exposition dearly.

The art is decent, and the gore is actually pretty amazing, very anatomically correct. It makes it more disturbing, and scenes linger with you. Compared to the big red jello sacs that people become in more modern series.

And there were some legitimately well choreographed fights, the one with the Metal Hero esque robot in the second OVA is a favorite of mine.

I'd say it's definitely a series of flaws and positives, but I liken it more to stuff like the Apocalypse Zero OVA, a relic of it's time, flawed, but watchable.
>>
>>14349163
>Metal Hero esque robot
That thing actually had a somewhat unsettling feel to it, even with the neat design. Wasn't its origin just as creepy or something?
>>
File: Vajranoid.jpg (119 KB, 1366x768) Image search: [Google]
Vajranoid.jpg
119 KB, 1366x768
>>14349186
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J2aqB3F_Q5I

Re-watched part of the episode.

It was made using the same source as the girls to be the ultimate compatible weapon. Able to interface with any war machine.

He specifically calls it a "cyborg", and the two nerds bumble about "vital signs", so it's possible it was human at one point.

Also upon further viewing, he seems to have taken cues in design from Bioman and Jansperson.
>>
File: 1463510632729.jpg (87 KB, 800x700) Image search: [Google]
1463510632729.jpg
87 KB, 800x700
It's a series that you'll like or hate.

It's okay in my opinion, but I can see where A LOT went wrong.
Example time:
>Cool designs and ideas, Wasted potential.
>Story line appears, and instantly ends.
>Things just happen.
>Tries to be a Akira instead of it's own take on "Psychic Children"
>Last two episodes feel censored and nearly out of place with the Ep 1-3.
>Tries to be "Deep", but just comes off as "Gore and Shlock".
>Plays dumb/edgy with it's gore.(The kids getting shot up was oddly fine tho.)

I want to like Genocyber, because it's different and fits in with that "Gritty 90's Anime" vibe, but it pisses me off with the problems above. The best thing it has become is being this "Edgy Anime" you dare your friends to watch.
>>
>>14337554
Because these faggots don't know how to appreciate gritty 90s OVAs. You watch them for cool animation and atmosphere,over-the-top action (and optional gore), top-tier mecha-designs (for /m/ stuff) and awesome soundtracks. Not for complex stories and deep character development, that's what TV shows are for and that's not the point of an OVA, except if it's part of a bigger franchise.
>>
File: 1450060124015.jpg (23 KB, 317x209) Image search: [Google]
1450060124015.jpg
23 KB, 317x209
>>14338160
>posting a youtube review as a source of opinion
Holy fucking shit nigger
>>
>>14349243
>namefagging
>that image
Kill yourself
>>
>>14338528
>later on genocyber gets awakened and goes off into space so they can't hurt anyone anymore the end
It was also because it was one of the two times the twins were in full control of their emomtions and managed to do something they actually wanted instead of just going berserk
>>
>>14349227
The impression I got from it is that they used multiple people to make the Vajranoid, like when we see a bunch of faces appear when it freaks the fuck out when it noticed Genocyber
>>
File: 1459961186404.jpg (59 KB, 476x594) Image search: [Google]
1459961186404.jpg
59 KB, 476x594
>>14338160
>mfw that ignorant can't read the subtitle tgwtg fag again

Seriously anon.
>>
>>14349148
Elfen Lied is well received though.
>>
File: 10.jpg (126 KB, 728x1129) Image search: [Google]
10.jpg
126 KB, 728x1129
>Manga ends just as it was getting started

What the fuck
>>
>>14349538
And? So was Guilty Crown, Psycho-Pass and Meguca but that doesn't make them any less rubbish
>>
>>14350360
You missed the point entirely.
>>
>>14349163
>>14349243

In a visual medium aesthetics and atmosphere is substance imo. It leaves the viewer to fill in more blanks on their own when they leave plot and characters more vague, but I don't think that that way of doing things is bad. I think the anime hits it's mark( especially episode 1), even if there isn't allot there it is trying to get across.

>>14349243
>Tries to be "Deep", but just comes off as "Gore and Shlock".

I don't think that was ever a goal in Genocyber.
>>
>>14350379
My point is that it doesn't matter if something is well-received like Elfen Lied or viewed as garbage by everyone like Genocyber. If it's shit, it's shit. I'm not going to let the popularity of something affect my judgement of it.
I swear to fucking christ that if Genocyber was actually well-received /m/ would fucking hate it, because then they couldn't pretend to have "muh patrician taste, casuals wouldn't get this"
>>
>>14350360
>Psycho Pass
>rubbish
Only if you're talking about S2. which was awful filler
>Madoka
>rubbish
Nevermind, you're just baiting
>>14350395
>WAAAAAH WHY DO PEOPLE LIKE WHAT I DON'T THEY MUST BE PRETENDING TO ACT PATRICIAN
Holy shit, I think the problem here is that you're a massive retard
>>
>>14350360
Apologies for going off topic, but why do people hate meguca all of a sudden? At most I see people pointing out that it's not a super deep faustian masterpiece like they were lead to believe before watching it. At worst it's a decent show.
>>
>>14350354
I don't remember the masked guys ever speaking in the anime.
How did they work for again?
That scene in the hospital was the best.
>>
>>14350449
For the big evil company. It's a bit different from the anime.
>>
>>14350449
They worked for Doctor Keneth Reed, who in turn worked (at least on paper) for the japanese conglometare 'Kuryu Group'.

I kinda enjoyed the first 3 episodes, the last 2 felt as someone pointed a gun at Ohata and said "no more gore"; therefore, it felt out of place.

Dunno, maybe if it was at leas an 12 episode series it could´ve been a cyberpunk classic.
>>
>>14350391
>>14349243
Genocyber doesn't really have any blanks that need to be filled in. Making the story more fleshed out would certainly improve the dramatic pacing and allow its characters to be more developed, but it's not a requirement. It's just a bit confusing due to the frequent direction style shifts and heavy use of fantastical concepts, which makes it very clunky but it's also part of its charm.

As for "depth", it doesn't hint at anything other than what's told and shown. It's just a very pessimistic portrayal of humanity, where everyone is an insane asshole deep down no matter how well-intentioned they might be, and all their attempts to improve the world will end in disaster. The Genocyber being the extreme, mystical embodiment of this notion, it acts as an angel of retribution that humanity brings down upon itself. And it's all very simple, very obvious and very surface-level.

Ultimately I think that your reception of Genocyber depends heavily on what you expected it to be like. Some people expect it to be a more traditional action/horror OVA and end up disappointed because it's somewhat disjointed, treats its characters like shit and doesn't have any levity or heroism to it. Some people expect it to be offensive schlock and come out of it amazed because of its epic scope and strong themes. Some people expect it to be revolutionary and end up disappointed because it borrows a lot from Akira and Urotsukidoji, etc
>>
File: 1465533684743.png (200 KB, 960x730) Image search: [Google]
1465533684743.png
200 KB, 960x730
>>14350360
>>14350395
Congratulations, you're winrar.
>>
I like it. Great OST and awesome mechanical designs. It's one of my favourite old ultraviolent OVAs.
>>
File: 1392889045.jpg (2 MB, 2531x3444) Image search: [Google]
1392889045.jpg
2 MB, 2531x3444
>>14357607
actually, the buzunis is winrar :))
>>
Its got some great designs some cool action sequences and a cool soundtrack but the plot is so disjointed and fragmented that it makes understanding a simple plot more difficult than it should be.

That said it makes me wish that the fleshy, organic Croneneberg like designs that this and a couple of other anime demonstrate would be a bit more popular because its a really interesting concept, of things being more biological in nature rather than technological.
>>
>>14362784
>>14362794
>>14362799
>>14362809
Is this supposed to be funny?
>>
>>14364158
Might be a shillbot
>>
>>14364158
I don't get this meme.
>>
>>14338160
Bennett is Reddit in human form and his opinions shouldn't be taken seriously by anyone.
I still think his reviews are pretty entertaining regardless.
>>
>>14364392
They're entertaining when he's not embarrassing himself like the giant retard he is. Which is to say not that often.
>>
>>14338160
>>14364392
>Bennett "MD Geist is bad" The Sage
>Bennett "reading subtitles is too hard" The Sage
>Bennett "I live with a gay crossdresser" The Sage
>Bennett "ultraviolence and cute girls are boring" The Sage
>Bennett "Ghost in the Shell is about feminism" The Sage
>Bennett "I am a black man's slave" The Sage
>Bennett "Vampire Hunter D is shlock" The Sage
>Bennett "I will tell my nephew that I fucked his mouth" The Sage
>Bennett "Violence Jack gave me PTSD" The Sage

Gabe is mostly based however.
>>
>>14337554
I thought it was fucking great but I only saw the first episode. What else did this director do that's worth watching?
>>
>>14368089
Angel Cop and MD Geist
>>
>>14368096
He didn't do Angel Cop.

>>14364463
What does this faggot consider good anime?
>>
>>14368343
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AvYxvGb0UjU
>>
File: 13.jpg (129 KB, 728x1107) Image search: [Google]
13.jpg
129 KB, 728x1107
>>14368395
I'm not watching that
>>
Ha yeah Genocyber is kinda like the Videodrome of anime.

If you think humans are shit you'll love this kinda stuff.

If you're a happy well adjusted person with hopes and dreams you won't "get it" and just call it pretentious or something like that. In which case I envy you.
>>
>>14349227
i personally think it was hint that the cyborg may come from one of the attacker of the children in the beginning .
>>
Elaine seems to be a nice girl , she was very friendly to the boy and the people on the ship,
so why does she always has to rampage and kill thousand of innocent people after she transform?
Just like in episode two , she already kill the evil cyborg ,why does she has to go and blow up a country afterword .
>>
>>14364392
>Bennett is Reddit in human
Even reddit falls short in describing his persona.
>>
>love M.D. Geist
>but hated M.D. Geist 2

Where does Genocyber fall inbetween these two?
>>
>>14337608
>it's because he was at one point overhyped as hell, so there was a backlash
I have to wonder if CPM's CEO's shilling of everything Ohata (except the Blue Gender movie) contributed to his company's downfall.
>>
>>14370983
Because she's not really in control.

>>14371121
I thought the ending to Geist 2 was fantastic.
>>
>>14371049
At least he doesn't allude to his femdom castration fetish in EVERY fucking video unlike Angy Joe.
>>
>>14371385
> femdom castration fetish in EVERY fucking video unlike Angy Joe.

Wait what?
>>
File: sheesh.jpg (222 KB, 324x403) Image search: [Google]
sheesh.jpg
222 KB, 324x403
>>14371446
Angry Joe can't help evaluating every female character based on how violent she is. If a female character isn't violent, he will complain. If she's violent, he will get all giddy and excited.

Bennett doesn't do that, but instead he sometimes goes on long passionate rants about how it feels to be a sub, and fantasizes about Leona eating testicles.
>>
>>14338160
>trusting a guy who watches dubs solely because he doesn't have the reading comprehension to understand subtitles

If I wanted some retard's opinion about anime I'd just make a thread on /tv/.
>>
>>14371121
Genocyber is like if MD Geist 2 was successful in its attempt to tell an actual story and more than a few slide shows worth of animation.
>>
>>14368482
That's a nice comparison.
Thread replies: 72
Thread images: 13

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.