[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Macross or not
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /m/ - Mecha

Thread replies: 35
Thread images: 5
File: maxresdefault.jpg (285 KB, 1920x1080) Image search: [Google]
maxresdefault.jpg
285 KB, 1920x1080
So I never watched anything related to macross, and was wondering if I should, but I really don't like j-pop or idol stuff, so my natural idea was to watch macross 7, since I enjoy old j-rock a lot. Is that a good conclusion? Or am I objectively wrong for thinking that J-pop and Idol stuff will hinder me from watching macross.
>>
>>14327618
>am I objectively wrong for thinking that J-pop and Idol stuff will hinder me from watching macross.
Yes.

First step to enjoying Macross 7(and Macross in general) is LISTEN TO THEIR SONG
>>
>>14327618
Also I mean idol stuff like idolmaster and what I've seen of delta, the whole modern idol thing really doesn't click with me.

I really enjoy my old anime ops though, just to clarify. I basically just don't want any nico-nico-nii ever in anything.
>>
>>14327618
Why does idol stuff and j-pop bother you?
>>
>>14327639
It doesn't bother me, I just don't like it, look at the reply above to see what I mean. I love all my cheesy gundam openings and dragonar etc though. But I have no idea what kind of music to expect from anything except for M7
>>
>>14327641

well even in the poppiest there's usually more going on.
>>
Just fucking try it and find out you stupid faglord.
>>
>>14327638
>don't want any nico-nico-nii ever in anything.
Don't worry, its Kawamori.

When they got him to work on an anime for AKB48, he made an anime about freedom fighters fighting the oppressive government that banned entertainment.
>>
>>14327618
If you like j-rock, don't mind motw and have more of a super robot lean you would probably enjoy Macross 7 a lot.
But the original Macross series is a classic for a reason. It's very good and the focus is more on the war and character-driven drama rather than the music itself.
>>
>>14327657
I enjoy Universal Century gundam a lot, and liked Dunbine and Ideon. But I absolutely love the vibe M7 seems to have
>>
>>14327618
>Or am I objectively wrong for thinking that J-pop and Idol stuff will hinder me from watching macross.
You are.
>>14327638
The shows aren't about j-pop as a whole. They use it as a device but there's much more going on. Actually I'd say 7 is far far more about the music than any other series considering how much Basara's song is pushed

>I basically just don't want any nico-nico-nii ever in anything.
Macross is not an SoL
>>
>>14327656
That's pretty hilarious, is that series any good? I wonder if that could even out my dislike of AKB48's music
>>
File: teamwork.webm (2 MB, 640x480) Image search: [Google]
teamwork.webm
2 MB, 640x480
>>14327638
You should really not judge shows based on a few images alone.
>>
>>14327666
Its pretty decent. They pulled it off pretty nicely.

As for the songs, they were smart and used the songs with more meaning in the lyrics, like the song they sang for the tsunami victims.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5Yx1CDFW1hw

Besides, we got /m/ayuyu out of it.
>>
>>14327618
Is it really so hard for you to just give it a try? Who knows, you might even come to like the music.

I don't like maybe half of all Gundams made (and there's a fuck ton of it made), but this is a conclusion I came to by watching nearly all of them, and there are some that I really did like.
>>
>>14327666
I never gave a shit about AKB and I actually kind of enjoyed it. It is fun and has a heartfelt story behind it and when it aired, it was sort of considered a Macross AU. My biggest problems with it were that there is CG dancing that isn't very good in the first couple of episodes and that while it is a fun show, the fact that it is tied to the real life AKB sort of holds it back from it's complete potential. But by all intents and purposes it turned out way more enjoyable than I thought it would be.
>>
>>14327662
If you liked MSG you should give SDF Macross a try at all costs. It has a just as nice and engaging story and similar themes and the characters are way more accessible. They feel more sympathetic and down to earth. Maybe the closest of in terms of Gundam to this sort of feel would be 0080.
>>
>>14327696
I just finished 08th MS team so I have yet to watch 0080 ^^, but I'm definitely gonna try some macross after I finish universal century(anime only for now)
>>
>>14327696
>It has a just as nice and engaging story and similar themes and the characters are way more accessible. They feel more sympathetic and down to earth. Maybe the closest of in terms of
Cool horseshit bro
>>
>>14327847
Didn't mean to offend you. I like MSG better. It's more complex. I just wanted to point out that while MSG and SDF Macross are similar in many ways the general feel is kind of different.
>>
>>14327618
Watch delta
>>
>>14328466
Yeah, deltas great.
>>
>>14327618
>>14328466
>>14332103
SDF, DYRL, II, Zero, Plus, Frontier+movies, then 7 and Delta. Delta is by far the most annoying of the entire series with the Magical Girl J-pop. 7 is just boring for like 20 episodes.
>>
>>14335481
>Delta is by far the most annoying of the entire series
No it's been quite good so far
>>
>>14335481
Fag poster with fag opinions.
>>14335503
This is correct.
>>
Watch SDF, it's the best combination of the elements that make up Macross. If you like it and want more, you should move onto the prettier sequels, though I don't think any of them really reach SDF's level.

>SDF Macross
The original Macross, the best mix of mecha and culture. Watch it.

>DYRL
A much better looking retelling of SDF, Minmay is more likable here. I didn't like the changes made to the story and find it leaves out too much compared to SDF.

>II Lovers Again
It's a short OVA series, pretty good looking but not very memorable. This is strictly optional, you wouldn't miss much by skipping this.

>Plus
Probably the best looking entry in the franchise with fantastic looking dogfights. The plot and characters are not so fantastic.

>7
The first half of the series is painful stock footage filler. The later half and encore/movie/dynamite are a lot of fun. I like it quite a bit but find it hard to recommend because of the first half.

>Zero
The first Macross series with 3D CG fights. It has a lot of protoculture stuff and takes itself too seriously, quite different from other Macross series.

>Frontier
Frontier comes closest to duplicating the original SDF's mix of music/love/fighting. Both the TV series and the movies are good.

>Delta
So far so good.
>>
>>14327618
The original SDF was pretty good about keeping the music at a tolerable distance. Minmay didn't even become an idol until like 10 episodes in and she was also far from the only thing that affected the war

But overall, I have enjoyed 7 the most out of everything I've watched, even the first half. It was a lot of fun getting to know the cast, seeing their rise to fame, laugh at Basara failing to accomplish anything and sing along with the music. Yes, it had stock footage and repetition, but that didn't really hinder my enjoyment of it.
>>
>>14335481
Delta is actually a good show. Sounds like you're triggered by idols, anon.
>>
>>14327618
Watch SDF. It's the start and is the best of the series.
>>
What's with these old fags that think Plus is the end all be all?

I love it but it's not perfect.
>>
>>14327666
>is that series any good?

No, it's pretty bad. It fails to really draw the viewer in because all the characters are pretty vapid and not really worth caring about, one or two of the songs are pretty catchy though.
>>
>>14335764
Dat shit taste
>>
>>14327618
>Or am I objectively wrong for thinking that J-pop and Idol stuff will hinder me from watching macross.
No, you're right. The music has (too) big a focus in the new shows
But it won't stop you from liking the original. Watch it, Minmay's crap is a subplot. It's a show about fighting giant aliens with space planes that change into robots, not idolshit.
>>
>>14327618
Watch SDF Macross and DYRL. They're the only shows worth watching. Maybe Macross Plus if you really liked the original show.
>>
>>14343822
>>14343949
Literally nothing wrong with a focus on music. Just admit you never liked the music parts of Macross.
Thread replies: 35
Thread images: 5

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.