[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Pacific Rim 2
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /m/ - Mecha

Thread replies: 255
Thread images: 47
File: 1375297275697.jpg (430 KB, 1400x2070) Image search: [Google]
1375297275697.jpg
430 KB, 1400x2070
http://variety.com/2016/film/news/john-boyega-pacific-rim-2-1201789413/
>>
I hate Hollywood these days

>actor plays role in high profile movie
>let's cast him in hundreds of other movies this year so people will see it because "Hey it's that Star Wars/[insert movie/franchise here] person!"
>>
>>14324289
ayyup
>>
>>14324289
>these days
Anon this isn't a recent thing, and all movie industries across the world do this. It's jumping on a fad to make more money.
>>
>>14324289
>these days

Anon do you seriously believe the industry used to scout for no-names before ringing up the stars' agents?
>>
>>14324289
It dies out quickly if the actor isn't good enough to keep it up, though. The guy from Avatar was hot shit for a bit, then sort of vanished.
>>
As Stacker's kid? Those are some big shoes to fill.
>>
>>14324295
This. Movie stars have always carried a lot of weight.
>>
>>14324297
>>14324295
With Harrison Ford maybe, but Mark Hamill was the main character in all of the OT and he never got many high profile roles after that.
>>
>>14324311
In film maybe.
Hamill went on to be a pretty damn prolific voice actor, not to mention becoming what many identify as -the- voice of the Joker.
>>
WE
>>
>>14324311
So Mark didn't break out from SW, you still got Clint Eastwood, Marlon Brando, Paci no etc etc
Its silly to say this is new to hollywood and not the standard
>>
>not Anthony Mackie
SmhtnqhwyLP

Are we really supposed to believe that Elba spawned this chunky kid?
>>
Boyega is an ugly ape but it's not like PR1 was lily-white.
If he hooks up with Rinko's character then kiss her career goodbye.
>>
>Film made most of its money from China
>Sequel starring a black man
Confusion is the strongest emotion I feel right now.

I like Boyega and he was easily the best part of TFA but of all the MCs they picked I'm surprised they went black

>>14324345
Wouldn't she be like a sister to him?
>>
>>14324320
ARE THE JAEGER CORP
>>
>>14324367
>the best part of TFA
>not Hux
DELET THIS
>>
>>14324289
>>14324367
He's also producing it.

https://twitter.com/JohnBoyega/status/739865052996620288

I'm almost positive he's the one responsible for getting it out of development hell behind the scenes.
>>
>>14324367
>Wouldn't she be like a sister to him?

>sister relationship but not blood-related
>in a super robot anime loveletter
You best believe he'll mamoru that imouto.
>>
>>14324311

So what? Not every star if a blockbuster is going to have a career, but that doesn't prove or mean that Hollywood doesn't often look to proven talent when casting and hasn't been since basically the beginning.
>>
>>14324319
>Hamil never got to be a live action Joker
What a crime.
>>
>>14324419

He's too old for it now really, but he played Trickster several times, and his Trickster is basically an off brand Joker.
>>
>>14324414

Only if they also give him a Char mask.

Hmmm...a black Char. Whoa
>>
>>14324419
Not as an actor, but as the voice, I hope you mean. Live action voiceovers don't work as well unfortunately, so we never got to see someone bringing Hamill's voice to life.
>>
>>14324430
I wouldn't say no to that.
>>
>>14324367
They shoot scenes and edit the transformers to make it look like china saved the day, I actually hope we can get the same as long as its of the same quality as the rest of the movie
>>
File: tumblr_mq7wgyxttL1rzkxhio4_400.gif (645 KB, 288x216) Image search: [Google]
tumblr_mq7wgyxttL1rzkxhio4_400.gif
645 KB, 288x216
>>14324430
if only.
>>
>>14324381
What if Boyega is secretly a mecha fan? I'm sure he didn't look at producing PR2 as a great way to make money or get his name out there.
>>
>>14324289
>Pacific Rim had shitty marketing, no huge names to draw (Elba doesn't fucking count), and was set up to fail as a pawn in a contract deal
Getting some popular guy is one of the best things that can happen for the movie. I didn't really pay attention to him in Star Wars, but the fact that he WAS just in Star Wars will actually put butts in seats.
>>
>>14324442
>Boyega is literally subbing Sasuraiger as we type
>>
File: f80.jpg (21 KB, 600x330) Image search: [Google]
f80.jpg
21 KB, 600x330
WHAT THE FUCK

FUCKING DEL TORO PIECE OF SHIT NIGGING UP THE ONLY GOOD MOVIE HE EVER MADE

JUST FUCKING KILL ME I CAN'T TAKE IT ANYMORE
>>
>>14324279
RIP Raleigh and Mako

Guess they're going to get killed off for this new guy
>>
>>14324311
Mark Hamill got into an accident that partially disfigured his face. He got reconstructive surgery and eventually recovered, but that's a pretty good way to kill a career where you're supposed to show yourself on screen.

He went on to be a great voice actor instead.
>>
>>14324463
>implying they're not the senpais now
>>
>>14324458
>Pacific Rim didn't prominently feature a black man to begin with
The difference here is that Elba is a suave motherfucker and Boyega is not.
>>
File: tapp-oceano-01.jpg (131 KB, 1173x855) Image search: [Google]
tapp-oceano-01.jpg
131 KB, 1173x855
>>14324458
Black people in mecha isn't anything new

Hell there's probably more black people in mecha anime than in all other genres combined, unless you count Boondocks
>>
>>14324458
Fuck off, idiot.
>>
>>14324469
That get killed off in the prologue

Also, Del Toro might not be directing? It's going to be shit. The first movie was already pushing it with the all night, all dark fights but now they're going to add in hundreds of jump cuts in a 3 minute fight and shake the camera so much it'll give babies epilepsy.
>>
>>14324470
>>14324473
The problem isn't that he's black, the problem is that THEY'RE USING AN ACTOR THAT IS FUCKING LITERALLY "LOOK WE ARE SO PROGRESSIVE USING THIS GREAT TALENTED ACTOR LOOK HOW NOT RACIST WE ARE" - it's blatant SJW pandering and it's fucking stupid.

>>14324478
You first, nigger.
>>
>>14324442
Its possible he has nostalgia for mecha like Gundam Wing or some other toonami show, he is a year younger than Soulja Boy and as we know he is Gundam King
>>
>>14324486
>the problem is that THEY'RE USING AN ACTOR THAT IS FUCKING LITERALLY "LOOK WE ARE SO PROGRESSIVE USING THIS GREAT TALENTED ACTOR LOOK HOW NOT RACIST WE ARE" - it's blatant SJW pandering and it's fucking stupid.
source
>>
>>14324299
>The guy from Avatar was hot shit for a bit, then sort of vanished.

>On 23 February 2014, Worthington was arrested in New York City for assault, after punching a paparazzo, Sheng Li, who allegedly kicked Bingle in the shin... Worthington was initially released on a desk appearance ticket, while Li was arrested on charges of reckless endangerment, assault and harassment.

>On 26 February, Worthington appeared in Manhattan Criminal Court, where he was ordered to stay away from Sheng Li for six months. The case was adjourned until 8 May, when the actor will face charges of assault in the third degree, attempted assault, and harassment.

>On 1 April, Li blamed Bingle for starting the fight and called for her to be arrested. On 8 May, the case involving Worthington and Li was dismissed.

Huh.
>>
>>14324490
>likes Wing
What a casual.
>>
This guy sucked ass in TFA, that movie was pretty shitty anyway. People claim TFA was better than the prequels but it was the same but looked even cheaper.
>>
>>14324481
Uh, the night fights were to disguise CGI. It's not like the shots were actually dark, there's fucking magic spotlights that make no sense literally everywhere, painting everything in a variety of colors. The last thing in PR you can bitch about is confusing fight direction or bad camera.
>>
>>14324493
>>On 1 April, Li blamed Bingle for starting the fight and called for her to be arrested. On 8 May, the case involving Worthington and Li was dismissed.
>Used video evidence to show Bingle started the fight

Why're bitches always starting shit?

Also, fuck paparazzos anyway. They're subhuman scum
>>
>>14324486

Unless you can back up that this has any kind of SJW motivation whatsoever, beyond the fact that the guy happens to be black, you just come off as really reactionary and projecting a motivation that doesn't exist on benign events.
>>
>>14324500
>The last thing in PR you can bitch about is confusing fight direction or bad camera.
Too bad, the fights were definitely worth complaining about considering they were the only draw of the film. They were better than your usual hollywood shlock but I'd rather have more visibility than (poorly) hiding the CG. Other movies just deal with it, so should PR.
>>
>>14324506
>>Why're bitches always starting shit?
because as you said
> fuck paparazzos anyway. They're subhuman scum
>>
>>14324486
>THEY'RE USING AN ACTOR THAT IS FUCKING LITERALLY "LOOK WE ARE SO PROGRESSIVE USING THIS GREAT TALENTED ACTOR LOOK HOW NOT RACIST WE ARE"
He's in PR2 because he is black and British, just like Idris Elba, WHOSE SON HE IS PLAYING IN THE FILM.
>>
Who the fuck invited /pol/
>>
>>14324516
Other movies deal with it by having the fucking shakycam, lightning-fast motion, and excessive cutting that people always bitch about. Pacific Rim was about giant fuckers who fill the whole frame and slowly wade across as the camera pa-a-a-a-a-a-a-ans or sits entirely still.
>>
>>14324521
They invited themselves. Im certain everyone mad has never even clicked on /m/ accidentally.
>>
Neat.

I liked Boyega in TFA, and if it gets people in seats watching Pacific Rim 2, I'm all for it.
>>
>>14324521

/pol/ doesn't need to be invited in. You are thinking of vampires.
>>
>>14324521
I'm only here because I knew /pol/ was also going to be here.
>>
>>14324522
Other movies still have still shots where you see just how bad the CG is. Even Bayformers, among the worst of them, just have the Transformers standing around in all their bad CG glory and idling to chat or some shit. People just don't mind it that much.
>>
>>14324531

I don't see how anybody could confuse /pol/ and vampires. Vampires can be charming when they want.
>>
>>14324515
It's common sense. If you think they cast Boyega as the lead in Star Wars for any reason other than he is black, frankly you are delusional. The fact that he was fucking terrible in the movie only backs that up.

And look, another sci-fi film that just happens to be having another lead black character, that just happens to be the same black person, but it's definitely a coincidence with no ulterior motive whatosever and only a fool would assume otherwise, right?
>>
>>14324527

Frankly, I am perfectly fine with the casting choice. This is a stupid reason to be upset about the movie.

Now, the the fact that Del Toro isn't directing anymore, and they are tossing out his script to instead use one by the guy who ruined the last couple of seasons of LOST and then followed that up by ruining Prometheus as well, THATS a good reason to be apprehensive as fuck about the movie.

No casting choice matters if the script is pretentious pseudoreligious tripe that asks 10 questions, answers one, and then promises the other 9 answers in the sequel. Because that's what we are going to get. Its the only thing he knows how to write.
>>
>>14324545
>guy in a sci-fi film gets cast in another sci-fi film
You're blowing my mind.
>>
>>14324545

> but it's definitely a coincidence with no ulterior motive whatosever and only a fool would assume otherwise, right?

Well, all you seem to have to offer are assumptions. So... yeah, kinda?

It honestly just kind of sounds like you are getting upset that there are black people in hollywood that do anything. Even if you think Boyega is a bad actor, do you have the same reaction when bad white actors get similar roles? Do you accuse them of being cast because they are white?

You need to back up your claims, man, if you don't want to come off as the tinfoil hat brigade.
>>
>>14324521
/pol/ and /tv/, there many cancers on 4chan. But those two are the biggest.
>>
>>14324554
So you would look someone straight in the face and say that the fact he is black has absolutely nothing to do with why he was cast in Star Wars and will be cast in other stuff?

Why didn't they pick Adam Driver or Oscar Isaac? Do you think their careers are going to blow up?
>>
>>14324571
I'm having trouble following your logic here.
Do you think that there are no black people in the Star Wars universe,
or that any time a black guy gets into a movie it's SJW? Or is it only when they get into a movie for a role that isn't an R&B star or thug?
>>
>>14324584
He's mad that Mace Windu isn't the only dindu anymore.

Prequelfags, not even once.
>>
>>14324571
>Adam Driver
He's uglier than Boyega.

>Oscar Isaac
I dunno, but he's already got a very successful career.
>>
>>14324571

I don't think audiences would buy Adam Driver as being the son of a character played by Idris Elba. It would raise questions, unless he was another adopted kid like Mako.

And now I am imagining Stacker Pentecost running an orphanage full of kids whose parents died in kaiju attacks.
>>
>>14324595
He could be Stacker's wife's son.
>>
File: 1375256838365.png (322 KB, 500x557) Image search: [Google]
1375256838365.png
322 KB, 500x557
>>14324545
>Lead is the son of a major character in first film.
>The character was black.
>His son is also black and is going to be played by a black man.
>They pick a modern currently popular black actor to play him.

BELEIF SUSPENDED. FUCKING SJW PUSHING THEIR AGENDA ON EVERYONE IT MAKES NO SENSE THAT THEY WOULD MAKE HIM BLACK. GYPSY 2.0 IS PROBABLY GOING TO BE SOME HAMBEAST MECH NEXT BECAUSE STOP OPPRESSING ME ITS MY BODY.
>>
>>14324589
>Calrissian
>>
>>14324599
Somehow I keep thinking he's Indian.

Despite being played by BDW.
>>
>>14324605
Lay off the Colt 45.
>>
>>14324545
>And look, another sci-fi film that just happens to be having another lead black character, that just happens to be the same black person, but it's definitely a coincidence with no ulterior motive whatosever and only a fool would assume otherwise, right?

see
>>14324381

There is more evidence pointing that he liked the movie and is using his recent star power to get it out of production hell. Also, he is playing the son to a MC who was black and british, just like he is. Out of all the movies and roles to bitch about the SJW boogyman, this one is pretty dumb.

As a side note and a bit of trivia, back in the 90s Del Toro wanted the MC in Mimic to be black and was disgusted when the studio denied him because "America wasn't ready for an interracial couple in the big screen." So Del Toro was being a bigger SJW cuck trying to extinguish the white race way before J.J. Abrams
>>
>>14324608

Don't tell me how to live my life.
>>
>>14324584
I already said I don't care if there are black people in movies, and clearly I'm a fan of the first Pacific Rim that had a black main character. I didn't think saying "nigger" was some massive offense that would label me as /pol/.

But casting a black guy and a strong independent womyn in The Force Awakens is nearly as blatant as making the new Ghostbusters all female. It's not indiscriminate casting, which is actually racist and bullshit. When you sit down and say "the lead character is going to be black, period" or "the characters are going to be female, period" - that's SJW pandering for the sake of it and you know it. It's fucking retarded and it's beyond me why anyone but SJWs themselves think it's okay.

Not that I particularly care what Hollywood does with their shitty movies, but I liked Pacific Rim.

>>14324598
I also already said my problem is with the actor, not that he's black. Calm down, nigger.
>>
>>14324545
How can you be so fucking stupid and deluded, holy shit.
>>
>>14324320
WUZ
>>
That's okay, but not a real selling point for me.
All I want is more based Australians, some well directed fights, more scenes with scale juxtaposition, and some really weird looking giant sea monsters.
>>
>>14324595
Surely the new lead is the black character's son purely by coincidence and not at all manufactured to use "the black Star Wars guy". Surely.
>>
>>14324279
Fucking traitor FN2187
>>
>>14324367
>Film made most of its money from China
Wait really? They weren't pissed off about the Chinese triplets with the even more-nonsensical-than-normal-mecha getting jobbed in half a minute?
>>
>>14324628
As much as it would to have him be the son of the previous MC and be half asian.
>>
>Pacific Rim sequel
>With a black protagonist

What level of psychotic meltdown is /tv/ undergoing right now
>>
>>14324465
On January 11, 1977, before shooting one of his scenes in Star Wars, Hamill was in a car accident in which he fractured his nose and left cheekbone,[75] requiring seven hours of surgery. As a result, a double was used for the landspeeder pickup shots.[76] According to Hamill in a recorded interview, he was driving his BMW on a freeway, became distracted, and seeing that he was missing his offramp, attempted to negotiate four lanes of traffic. (Some real scars from the crash appear on Luke's face in The Empire Strikes Back.)[77][78] In an episode of children's program Ask Aspel, Hamill said that the stories surrounding his injuries had become exaggerated. Confirming that he had only broken his nose, Hamill observed that "over the years it's [been] built up into having my face reconstructed with plastic surgery."[79]
>>
>>14324678
They're complaining about a nigger being shoehorned into the movie, even though there was a black guy in the first one too.
>>
>>14324697
Par for the course I guess.
>>
*da-dun-DUN du-DUN-DAAN intensifies*
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sH_6iFYiryY
>>
>>14324521

/pol/ has bled into every board to varying degrees and is starting to bleed into other internet communities in general.
>>
>The Legendary Pictures film will be distributed by Universal Pictures around the world with the exception of China.

Either China is doing their own distribution, which means we have a heavy hand in the production, or China is cut off from Legendary. I hope it's the former case because at least Chinese investors have a better appreciation for mecha than Hollywood investors

Wait, didn't some Chinese company buy Legendary?
>>
>>14324678
>Goes to the /tv/ thread
>first post is Stacker
>rest is nigger complaining

I don't know what I was expecting
>>
So it's happening again? I really just don't have the energy or the patience anymore to keep up with Del Toro's projects.
>>
File: japan parliament.jpg (434 KB, 2048x1365) Image search: [Google]
japan parliament.jpg
434 KB, 2048x1365
>>14324731
I'm skeptical one board on 4chin can do all that.
Does it have high traffic or something? I ignore a lot of the chaff and browse for foreign politics news and the occasional legislative brawl.
>>
>>14324863

The more realistic option is that /pol/ is just the symptom of a larger mentality that is prevalent on the internet. These people exist all over, but usually in small vocal minorities. With the power of the internet, they can find each other online and support each other's niche beliefs.

Basically the flip side of tumblr. /pol/ is just the face that 4chan recognizes them by, because we have an easy to define box where that lives in here. They are not originating here and then spreading elsewhere, they were just more obvious to us here first and they are already elsewhere on the internet too. Always have been.
>>
>>14324863
It's not that /pol/ is bleeding into other internet communities per se, it's more that the extreme focus that Internet journalism puts on ill-defined "social justice" problems has resulted in a reactionary wave of extreme conservatism. Trump's campaign "helped" too. And since the extreme, toxic conservatism is on the rise, the racist assholes who a few years ago wouldn't publically state their views feel safer to do it now, which in turn makes the extreme, toxic progressives shout even louder, and everything turns into a positive feedback loop that will explode soon, most likely on the election day.
>>
>>14324909
>Internet would be a perfect tool for people to broaden their horizons and change their outlook on life
>Instead it turned into a perfect tool for the creation of echo chambers, making people believe that their sick views are totally normal.
Internet was a mistake
>>
>>14324909
>>14324914
/pol/ is what happen when the agenda-pushing become so blatant that people snap. Its ridiculous to assume every single /pol/lack was raised in some secret society of 'evil racists' and raised from birth to be white supremacists.

This is what happen when the medias and the elite keep pushing white people around and telling them how evil and wrong they are. This is what happen when every work of fiction gets black trans lesbians with autism in wheelchairs pushed into it to make it appear oh-so-wonderfully diverse. This is what happen when shitty writing become 'protected' because it star a female or minority character.

People get sick of it. People go dark side.
>>
>>14324909
Lord, remember when /b/ was the boogeyman? What has happened to this country.
>>
>>14324923
That's exactly what I've written, well, maybe you're overexaggerating it a little bit, but yeah, I agree.
>the extreme focus that Internet journalism puts on ill-defined "social justice" problems has resulted in a reactionary wave of extreme conservatism
>>
>>14324921
MGS 2 was right.
>>
>>14324921
That's basically what it is and why its not a good idea to hang around those boards alot otherwise you'll come to accept the shit they say as truth
>>
>>14324921
Internet just amplifies what is inherent to human nature.
>>
>>14324942
>tfw one of my friends regularly browsed /pol/ for cheap laughs and now he's a full blown Trump memer
I can't believe it happened, he was just a moderate conservatist barely a year ago. Now he calls himself "redpilled".
>>
>>14324934
I'm somewhat impressed that Kojima was able to write something rather prophetic and think of the ramifications of what the internet will do.

That or he just copy-pasted some cool-sounding philosophy that actually was right for a change.
>>
>>14324921
Isn't that community-centric communications dynamics in general? That's not exactly anything new under the sun. Hardcore "religious communities" like the Mormons have been doing it for centuries.
>>
>>14324965
difference is you no longer need to get people together physically
makes the whole thing a lot easier
>>
>>14324923
That'd make sense... if /pol/ wasn't, y'know, /new/ AKA Stormfront - the 4chan chapter, from its very inception.

I think the only reason it's become even louder is because people like you think it's a rallying cry to fight against so-called agenda pushing, a demagogue in messageboard form. Fact is, it's just a playground for white preteen twats to get away with calling people niggers because they don't have the balls to do it out in their friendly neighborhood ghetto.
>>
>>14324965
The internet just made it all the more easier and all the more blatant to set up safe-spaces for ideologies to develop, fester, and mold. Even on the imageboard that prided itself in being contrarian (even for the sake of contrarianism) you get cliques and niches in the form of generals.
>>
File: Granin_toast.png (219 KB, 640x360) Image search: [Google]
Granin_toast.png
219 KB, 640x360
Who the fuck cares about this political bullshit PACIFIC RIM 2 ISN'T DEAD
>>
>>14324962
wasn't much of MGS written by that old guy from evangelion anyway
>>
>>14324923
Im-fucking-plying. I absolutely despise the media's current SJW ways, and I avoid /pol/ like the cancer it is, just as I avoid Tumblr or Reddit. I'd sooner kill myself before getting sucked into an echo chamber of retardation like that.
>>
>>14324934
>>14324962
I-I've never played any Metal Gear game other than Rising and Ground Zeroes. What did Kojima predict in MGS 2?
>>
>>14324974
>2016
>not bitching about why everyone else is wrong about everything

What are you, some kind of non-white?
>>
>>14324923

What you describe is verifiably bad. I know exactly what you are talking about, where you have forced shit that is clearly only there because some board of idea guys said it needed to be included for PR reasons.

But there problem there isn't really the fact that the character is black or gay or whatever. Its that the character is poorly handled, obviously forced, and soulless because they are checking boxes instead of writing a character. The character would be just as shit if they were white and male under those circumstances, it just wouldn't gather as much attention because people wouldn't be triggered by it. .

Personally, I think the fact that major companies including characters that don't fall into the 'white male protagonist' mold seems to only happen when their hand is forced by outside pressures actually probably is indicative of a systemic problem. Like, they can't just make a character and have that character be black or gay or something because it fits the character, they have to be pushing an agenda to justify it, even if that agenda is as simple as 'market research says we need more of this'.

Like, that's weird, right? If comics and movies and such just had every character be Catholic by default unless the writers arm was twisted and they had to make it otherwise on orders from up the chain, that would be weird. Because that seems to say that they won't write other kinds of characters unless they are forced to. That's unhealthy and weirdly restrictive, regardless of what demographic you say is the mandatory default.
>>
>>14324972
>That'd make sense... if /pol/ wasn't, y'know, /new/ AKA Stormfront - the 4chan chapter, from its very inception.
Oh it might have been created by those people but that does not make it impossible that many modern /pol/lack could be a recent (5-ish years?) arrival. Like any ideology, they recruit: and now is the best possible time because they're actually right for a change, on some level anyway.
>>
>>14324986
>avoid /pol/
>posting on 4chan

im-fucking-plying indeed.
>>
File: 1374671597083.png (156 KB, 500x424) Image search: [Google]
1374671597083.png
156 KB, 500x424
>>14324972
I'm sure there are plenty of edgy teens there, but with all the nationalities posting on /pol/, I wonder just how many of its users are actually white.
>>
>>14324993
>But there problem there isn't really the fact that the character is black or gay or whatever. Its that the character is poorly handled, obviously forced, and soulless because they are checking boxes instead of writing a character. The character would be just as shit if they were white and male under those circumstances, it just wouldn't gather as much attention because people wouldn't be triggered by it. .

Oh absolutely. Unfortunately, modern social justice-pandering writers, like you said, don't write characters as PEOPLE. They write them as a checkbox or a mouthpiece.
>>
>>14324996
I browse it for the memes and stupidity, on occasion. But other than that I stay away from it.
>>
>>14324997
proxies mostly, but then again, I somehow doubt Cletus and the banjos know how to Internet
>>
>>14325001
>I browse it for the memes and stupidity, on occasion.
Don't. It has a nearly magical power of sucking you in. Other boards' meme magic is strong, but /pol/'s is Merlin-and-Gandalf-together-at-full-power tier.
>>
>>14324989
What >>14324921 said, more or less.

Spoilers for MGS2:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eKl6WjfDqYA
>>
>>14324673
The Chinese didn't really give a fuck about the jobbing as evident with how ridiculously successful it was.

All they know is there were some sweet ass competently animated CGi robots and some pretty cool action sequences with visible damage without shaky cam. Name another fucking Hollywood robot movie that has that, probably also helps that part of the movie's setting was HK.

Though having this guy as the new protagonist may change things, Chinese really don't like black people in general more than other races anyway.
>>
>>14325009
So it's the /b/ 2.0, more or less. Sounds about right.
>>
File: 1465142848922.gif (635 KB, 230x234) Image search: [Google]
1465142848922.gif
635 KB, 230x234
>>14325009
You have a point. I haven't been on the board in about a month, hopefully I can keep it that way.
>>
>>14324995
Sure you can say it's the usual "original group pushed away in favor of renegade degenerates who miss the entire point of the group," but fundamentally /pol/, no matter what fresh blood it has attracted, is just a playground for wannabe racists.

If anyone has that pic that sums up the gradual downfall of any interest group as the number of new members increases, that describes /pol/. It isn't "what happens," that disingenuously suggests the board was a recent movement to counter far leftism. It's just a magnet for people who want to play racist without actually committing to it in the field, and that just attracts actual racists who think leftist ideologies infringe on their freedom to call people niggers.

Anyone who thinks it's about fighting against censorship and PC and all the other far left psychoses needs to look around and realize they've just buddied up with KKK members who think they're campaigning for the right to be openly racist, because they took the racist fantasies of middle class white kids seriously, because it's fucking /stormfront/, historically the only board to ever beat /b/ at being the shittiest corner of 4chan.
>>
>>14325014
>Name another fucking Hollywood robot movie
Pretty much could have ended your sentence there.
Transformers, that Huge Jackman boxing one, Robot Jax which people probably never saw aside here, what else?
>>
>>14325026
At least /b/ can be entertaining.
>>
>>14325036
the only entertaining board on 4chan is /sp/, let's face it.
>>
>>14324995

I think its easier now because there is simply a lot of dissatisfaction. Everyone agrees that the current deal is kind of shitty, and the game isn't being played fair. But people are playing the blame game and pointing fingers instead of actually addressing the issue.

I blame you, you blame me, everyone gets worked up about semantics or representation or too many people I don't like living in what used to me by safe space... and no one is really working on changing the system so that the people who are laughing all the way to the bank can be held accountable for the consequences of their actions.

Bernie Sanders and Donald Trump are basically talking about the same core set of issues, they are just pointing their fingers in different directions.
>>
>>14325009
>implying /pol/ meme magic is superior to /tv/'s meme voodoo

Call me when /pol/ memes a plane into a mountain.
>>
>>14325041
>and no one is really working on changing the system so that the people who are laughing all the way to the bank can be held accountable for the consequences of their actions.
Well, at least /pol/ want to put those people in ovens so that's *something* I guess?
>>
>>14325041
>Trump
>talking about anything relevant

>Bernie
>being anything but anti-backwards Hitler

But seriously.
I think Bernie might be Hitler reincarnated.
>>
>>14324289
This has literally been happening since the 1900s
>>
>>14325048

You can't put a corporation in an oven, mate.
>>
>>14325042
Can I call you when they meme Trump into the White House?
>>
>>14325057
I dunno.
I think you can fit them into blast furnaces, and they're sorta like ovens...

And if not, we could just build ovens around them. That'd add jobs to the market, more jobs is always good...

It's a modest proposal, I think.
>>
>>14325051
That's giving him too much of an idea of grandeur. He's more like Mao in being that he's a populist who believes in what he's saying, rather than a would-be emperor.
>>
>>14325066
You can have my vote if at some point we get to eat the Irish. I was given the impression that this was part of the plan somewhere.
>>
>>14325057
They'll just have to build bigger ovens.
>>
>>14324458
Del Toro isn't even working on this movie anymore you racist idiot.
>>
>>14325075
And make the corporations pay for it.
>>
>>14325034
I could have but it'd be doing injustice to movies like Terminator 1/2 and Robocop and some of those other 80/90's stuff.

Also the Hugh Jackman one was Real Steel, I actually really liked that film, helped the token child character was a total bro.
>>
>>14325080
Well, they at least got the money, no? Can't we just take their money and build giant corporation-ovens
>>
>>14325078
He's EP, and he's was tweeting about it this morning. Even teased the announcement before it dropped.
>>
>>14325082
Well, mecha, not robot then.
>>
>>14325014
Robocop
>>
>>14325124
Say what you well, the 2014 Robocop was interesting in its own right. Should've been its own title.
>>
>>14325129
Robocop 2014 had some interesting potential marred by several bad elements in it. Murphy's loss of humanity, gradual in the reboot, was poorly conveyed because the actor was robotic from the get go.
>>
File: 1457150381848.jpg (61 KB, 475x438) Image search: [Google]
1457150381848.jpg
61 KB, 475x438
>>14324320
>>14324458
/tv/ pls go.

Boyega in it is fine. /m/ didn't bitch about Idris Elba in the first one so I can tell crossboarders want to shit the place up. Go away.
>>
>>14324279
rrriiiiiiiiight
the new director was bad and now this fucker is in too?
thanks for ruining this franchise
>>
File: Screenshot_2016-01-30-16-45-42.png (258 KB, 768x1280) Image search: [Google]
Screenshot_2016-01-30-16-45-42.png
258 KB, 768x1280
>>14324545
>the fact that he was terrible
The only people that think hes terrible are poltards like you and whiny 40something fanboys.
>>
File: 1384836468356.jpg (12 KB, 344x345) Image search: [Google]
1384836468356.jpg
12 KB, 344x345
>>14324279
I just care for the heroic robots punching sea monsters in the face, to be honest.
>>
>>14324486
dumbass,they're using him for the starwars name recognition
>>
>>14325134
Yeah it was a shame. The mercs were also bland and cliche
At least it was fun seeing Michael Keaton being a scrawny snake oil salesman and watching Samuel Jackson impersonate Bill O-Reiley
>>
>>14325140
>/m/ didn't bitch about Idris Elba
Because he's a veritable powerhouse of an actor.
>>
>>14325173
Oh and they should have sticked to the grey/silver armor. At least if there is a sequel, it seems like he'd be wearing it.
>>
>>14325178
No one was expecting any great acting in the first one and honestly, Elba didn't display any powerhouse acting in is role either, he was fine just like every cast member in PR1. Boyega was fine in Star Wars/Attack the block so he should be fine in PR2.
>>
>>14325140
I posted the WE and have been defending the Boyega choice. I just like the meme post
>>
>>14325193
I like the new look. It was sleek and aerodynamic.
The old one reminds me too much of those old cardbox Halloween costumes autistic kids wear. Little too close for comfort
>>
>>14325150
Reactionaries on 4chan are expected to be reactionary, but blanketing all criticism people have towards Boyega's acting skill seems unnecessary.
He was okay, but he can improve.
>>
>>14324279
John Boyega is a pretty decent actor. For all the ooga booga posting, he ended up being one of the most well received characters from TFA.
>>
If we can be honest, Boyega isn't so much the issue as the fact Del Toro is less involved in this one, which is a far greater problem for the movie.
>>
>>14325208
This
At least if China is a big investor this time, whoever directs will have to answer to them, which at least means the film will pander to us in its core capacity, i.e. robitz
>>
>>14325213
I'm worried the new crew doesn't 'get' the kaiju and mecha genre and it end up being more like the Bayformers.
>>
File: 1450293329082.jpg (132 KB, 491x491) Image search: [Google]
1450293329082.jpg
132 KB, 491x491
>>14324279
But Portugal isn't in the pacific.
>>
>>14325217
Did China like Bayformers?
>>
>>14325217
dude, people will be like
>oh hey, is that another transfomers movie?
>>
>>14325207
The dialog being more steeped in modern times probably helped.

I would've commented on how each entry of Star Wars is a reflection of the times, but the prequel trilogy did go out of its way to have stilted kinda antiquated-feeling dialog so it feels more accurate to say the way language has changed in each generation of Star Wars is...

...well, actually I'm probably thinking too hard about it, but I'm only thinking so hard about it because "droid, please!" felt so unlike Star Wars, yet somehow still believable in a cultural advancement sense.

Long story short, Boyega felt convincingly black.

Man I feel real weird saying it like that.
>>
>>14325225
They already were, sadly.
>>
>>14325222
Last I heard China alone was responsible for the majority of the last film's box office.
>>
>>14325222
I heard China loved Winter Soldier.

Supposedly they love the ideal of "loyalty to one's country is not the same as loyalty to one's leaders."
>>
>>14325205
oh, I agree.

but the criticism coming from is rooted in /pol/ being /pol/ and idiots from /tv/ parroting /pol/ like it was word of god
>>
>>14325235
Well, shit then.

>>14325238
As much as China loved Winter Soldier, which is more just indifference, cape films are not as beloved as in China as here. Only cape heroes Chinese remember are Superman and Batman and Spider-Man if you're lucky.
Robots, on the other hand, are much more in line with Asian entertainment
>>
>>14324289
At least Boyega isn't a shitty actor and cool guy
>>
>>14325250
The indifference to capeshit is a cultural divide. Something about how China needs no heroes when it has the Party to protect it.

But again, I heard they took to WS as an allegory about how one can be proud to be a Chinese citizen and believe in the greatness of their nation, but not condone the actions of a government that seeks to control its people and erase any opposition that may manifest.

Because, y'know, the CPC normally doesn't take criticisms all that kindly. But hey, how a person reads into some American's film is none of the Party's business, I guess. So a critique of overreaching government is something Chinese get behind, and it's fine as long as it's not the Party getting shat on.
>>
>>14325282
It's not much that we need no hero, it's more that we have our own set of hero already, namely all the toku threads here on /m/. When there are so much established ideas about what a superhero is, new ideas about heroes are not as regarded, just like how people are unable to accept any capeshit that's not MCU

Cape stuff is more a western media coming to the east. Mecha, on the other hand, is a eastern media coming back.
>>
File: 1363727912749.gif (2 MB, 300x200) Image search: [Google]
1363727912749.gif
2 MB, 300x200
>>14324551
>and they are tossing out his script
Did they really?
I was already worried about this movie not being directed by Del Toro, but if they actively dumped his script in favor of some committee approved bullshit, that might actually spell fucking doom for this movie.
What good things were in Pacific Rim 1 that weren't there exclusively at Del Toro's insistence? Hell, he invented the whole fucking movie in the first place.
>>
>>14325364
Only way this can be good is if they get some bigger weeb than Del Taco
Who though
>>
>>14325364
>Hell, he invented the whole fucking movie in the first place.
No, the idea was from Travis Beacham but Del Toro developped it further. Beacham is also gone from PR2.
>>
File: 1460660104641.jpg (80 KB, 766x960) Image search: [Google]
1460660104641.jpg
80 KB, 766x960
>>14325389
>Beacham is also gone from PR2.
AAAAH!
>>
File: 1428911103148.jpg (47 KB, 358x350) Image search: [Google]
1428911103148.jpg
47 KB, 358x350
>>14325389
>>
I'm okay with Boyega in PacRim 2.
But I'm not okay with Elba as Roland Deschain
>>
>>14325389
We are so fucked.
>>
Now that we know the story is gonna suck, it's confirmed that any and all criticism of this movie will be rebuffed with "DAS RAYCISS!"
>>
>>14325409
Well there is no way in hell this will be as terrible the new Ghostbuster.
>>
>>14325424
Don't count on it man
The same optimism had me defend Aldnoah/Zero for the first cour until the show stabbed me in the back
>>
>>14325364
https://twitter.com/RealGDT/status/739886645458145280

He's still working on it
>>
>>14325424
Given the parallels we're seeing to the development of NuGhostbusters, it probably will.
>>
>>14325442
We're only partially fucked!
>>
>>14325448
What parallels? Potential for development hell? Dan Aykroyd trying to get everyone in it?
>>
>>14325434
Yeah I thought
>Ok new Ghostbusters with a female cast, and I liked Spy so maybe this be good
>See trailer, which was painfully unfunny and try-hard
>Give it up
>>
>>14325513
Development hell+the people who made the original great not coming back+probably hiding the movie's shittyness behind DAS RACIST (whereas Cuntbuster is DAS SEXIST!).
>>
File: 1373834243700.jpg (167 KB, 1100x1040) Image search: [Google]
1373834243700.jpg
167 KB, 1100x1040
I don't care who is acting in it so long as the giant robots and giant monsters have cool designs and the fights are great.
>>
>>14324289
I like the idea that hes going to be the son of Stacker pentacost though.
>>
>>14325558
I'm curious: what will vague social issue will faggots use to defend the Gunnm and GitS live-action adaptations that are coming up next?
>>
File: 1403830451899.jpg (130 KB, 580x820) Image search: [Google]
1403830451899.jpg
130 KB, 580x820
>>
>>
File: 1376264637042.jpg (316 KB, 1100x1000) Image search: [Google]
1376264637042.jpg
316 KB, 1100x1000
>>
Pacific Rim plamos WHEN?
>>
>>14325558
>the people who made the original great not coming back
>>14325442

Its still Del Toros baby, he's just got a nanny right now
>>
File: Scunner.jpg (112 KB, 599x450) Image search: [Google]
Scunner.jpg
112 KB, 599x450
Best boy.
>>
>>14324673
I read somewhere that they saw their deaths as a heroic sacrifice and were pretty fine with it. Its the idea that China has a big bad ass robot that has had a history of success is what makes them love it.
>>
>>
File: Scunner Portrait.jpg (267 KB, 1368x919) Image search: [Google]
Scunner Portrait.jpg
267 KB, 1368x919
>>14325591

Better picture.
>>
>>14325585
Ha
Good luck
>>
>>14325566
Yeah, Pacific Rim had a pretty big family element
>>
>>14325558
You had be until the end. Imagine the movie bombs: a year later no one will care so project hype/premiere defense is a weak point.

>>14325570
Stop being curious and live your life.
>>
File: Size Chart 2.jpg (446 KB, 2878x999) Image search: [Google]
Size Chart 2.jpg
446 KB, 2878x999
>>
>>14325014
China is a growing market for US movies. There are some attempts in movie to appeal to China lately (Iron Man 3, Transformers Number Whatever). Pacific Rim did it right by just being enjoyable and a love letter to an out-of-cycle genre.
>>
File: 1375375641284.jpg (314 KB, 1280x719) Image search: [Google]
1375375641284.jpg
314 KB, 1280x719
Taken before their time. ;_;7
>>
>>14325604
US mechs may be kinda lame, but US Kaijus are the fucking best
>>
File: 1321345.jpg (253 KB, 640x634) Image search: [Google]
1321345.jpg
253 KB, 640x634
>>14325585
>Pacific Rim plamos WHEN?
Never. Purchase a 18 inch from NECA and do some custom.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qWUvy1IFx7g
>>
>>14325570
>If you say it's bad it's because you're a racist bigoted white male
>if you say it's good it's because you're a cuckolded castrated white male

We've finally did it, we've finally found a way to make being a white male actually suck for the foreseeable future!
>>
>>14325585
well...

max factory did have an unpainted prototype shown at one of the wonfes but as of now, its pretty much cancelled.
>>
>>14325629
Would they really tease Cherno this year if Gipsy was cancelled / development hell?
>>
>>14325602
>Imagine the movie bombs

Here is what's going to happen, since they cast Boyega:
-The usual internet rags will suddenly come out and say how much they LOVED the first Pacific Rim and how 'diverse' it was (piggybacking on Mako and the fact the PPDC was an international organization). Nevermind that the average audience hated the movie/didn't get it.
-Any criticism from fans thrown at the movie will get labelled as racist.
-Anyone who really disliked the first will go 'Is this movie necessary? Pacific Rim sucked!' and that too will get constructed as a 'racist hate campaign'.
-The whole movie will be drowned out by the identity politic nonsense.
-If it bomb, presumably because it won't be as good as the first one, it will ALSO be taken as racism.
-If it doesn't bomb? Well, now the fake nerd hipsters will love it all of a sudden because MUH DIVERSITY.
-Thus a simple action-packed, fun love letter to kaiju and giant robots is forever tainted as a battleground in a stupid internet culture war, when the first one just flew under the radar.
>>
>>14325604
That Kraken doesn't look out of place in the slightest.
>>
>>14324620
JAEGUHS
>>
>>14325629
Much like the apocalypse?
>>
>>14325634
who knows, maybe with news of pacific rim 2, its going back on production.
>>
>>14324490
Wing wasn't as huge in the UK as it was in America. None of Gundam was.To my knowledge we only got the first season of Big O on our Toonami block.
>>
>>14324498
Did you expect some black hollywood actor to have poured 1,000+ hours into mecha, watching the most obscure OVAs and profiling robots on an unknown online database?

Actors in general are casuals. except at acting, then they're pros
>>
File: 1404419032346.jpg (4 MB, 4471x2813) Image search: [Google]
1404419032346.jpg
4 MB, 4471x2813
>>
>>14325635
It's like you just want things to suck. Relax. None of that shit matters since hardly anyone cared for the first one.
>>
File: team_cherno_by_makani-d6i66sh.jpg (167 KB, 813x761) Image search: [Google]
team_cherno_by_makani-d6i66sh.jpg
167 KB, 813x761
>>14325616
>>
>>14325668
They'll pretend they cared for the first one now that they got a black guy as the lead.
>>
Boyega is not black, he is British.
>>
>>14325635
If it's diverse from the getgo, nobody will ever care about diversity.

Look at how ignored Code Name STEAM was. It's straight up one of the most identity-diverse games in recent history without preaching an agenda, but no one noticed it.

It could've been a platform to champion the Y'ALL JUST RACIST campaign but nooooooooo, nobody cares when a good game does it.

I regret missing the opportunity to call everyone who wrote it off as shovelware as being closet racists.
>>
>>14325194
Elba carries that film on his fucking shoulders, what are you talking about? I can barely remember anything about the bland MC but I'll never forget Pentecost.
>>
File: pizzaz cringe.png (240 KB, 524x488) Image search: [Google]
pizzaz cringe.png
240 KB, 524x488
>>14325655
>Youra
>Bigguy Forme
>>
>>14325701
Well usually, these clusterfucks occur when a BAD product is defended by progressive dogma. No outrage occur when its good, obviously.
>>
File: 1386333663809.jpg (1 MB, 1630x1024) Image search: [Google]
1386333663809.jpg
1 MB, 1630x1024
>>
File: 1465190726010.png (202 KB, 365x363) Image search: [Google]
1465190726010.png
202 KB, 365x363
>>14325686
Haha, time for depression!
>>
File: Cherno Zaku.jpg (222 KB, 955x1147) Image search: [Google]
Cherno Zaku.jpg
222 KB, 955x1147
>>
File: 1375047052006.jpg (110 KB, 416x750) Image search: [Google]
1375047052006.jpg
110 KB, 416x750
>>14325731

They'll live on in our hearts, anon.
>>
>>14325724
I'm just still butthurt about CNS. It could've been successful even for all the wrong reasons but people just had to go and be faglords when it came out.

Also to play devil's advocate, "bad" is something you evaluate with a finished product, even the most retarded of ideas can stick a landing beyond all expectation.

Edge of Tomorrow is my go to example, nothing about a western adaptation of a Japanese LN should've worked and this was at a time when people were still rolling their eyes when it came to Tom Cruise, but then it came out and surprise, they managed to make a heavy reimagining of the material actually work.
>>
>>14325747
At least we find solace in that.
>>
>>14325732
>It has two sets of sensors
>>
>>14325755

All the better to see you with.
>>
>>14325635
I mean, you are saying critics will be unfairly label as racists but so far most of the negative comments ITT are about "an ugly ape" having the lead role.

>-If it doesn't bomb? Well, now the fake nerd hipsters will love it all of a sudden because MUH DIVERSITY.

Which is fine by me, don't care who loves it as long as we get more giant robot movies. And Guillermo has said several times the theme of the movie is of different people (nationality and race) coming together to solve a problem. PR its literally Diversity: The Movie
>>
File: 1375374981327.jpg (106 KB, 500x375) Image search: [Google]
1375374981327.jpg
106 KB, 500x375
>>14325753

It is a small comfort, I know.
>>
>>14325753
If del Taco is as based as we think he is and still has creative control, prepare for them to fish the bits from under the ocean and make Cherno Beta
>>
>>14325655
>Bonetoast
>Cutsqueeze
>Burgerhouse

The Kaiju names are horrible. They sound like garage band names. The Jaegers aren't any better either.
>>
>>14325763

These people need to play some X-COM.
>>
>>14325763
>Which is fine by me, don't care who loves it as long as we get more giant robot movies. And Guillermo has said several times the theme of the movie is of different people (nationality and race) coming together to solve a problem. PR its literally Diversity: The Movie
I think you're missing the point if you think my point was that I'm butthurt a black guy is the lead.
>>
>>14325616
Did these two do anything other than die as fast as a Zaku vs the RX? On the topic of unsatisfying deaths, the chinese tripleteam was a clusterfuck.
>>
>>14324613
>I'm not racist!
>calls someone a nigger like it's an insult
You're either a (poor) troll or just plain retarded. Either way I think you should leave because nobody is going to take you seriously.
>>
>>14325782
>the chinese tripleteam was a clusterfuck.

>Three arms
>Doesn't use third arm
>>
File: Kaidonovsky_Scans_01.jpg (185 KB, 1280x839) Image search: [Google]
Kaidonovsky_Scans_01.jpg
185 KB, 1280x839
>>14325782

They had the coolest mech and the best pilot outfits and looked like a couple of badasses. Sometimes that's all you need.
>>
>>14325783
>Has never seen people act edgy on 4chan
Get a load of this newfag. But of course, I take it 'newfag' is triggering for you as it implies homophobia. Quick, better though police that evil retrograde cis white caveman!
>>
>>14325778
If you think about it, XCOM should appeal to everyone.

Inclusivefags get to feel good for having everyone contribute to the effort, while closet racists get to enjoy what they see as an allegory for purging races they don't like!
>>
>>14324279
... Is that Shinkawa art?!
>>
>>14325795
>a goon made it normal to call everyone _fags, that means I should be allowed to call people niggers!

What have you done to earn that right, kike?
>>
>>14325806
>closet racists
What is with people thinking there are 'closet racist'. I got a racist as fuck familly and they sure as hell don't hide it! Racists don't hide being racist because in their mind it is not a shameful thing. Go ask /pol/, they won't hide they are racist, they'll openly embrace it as a virtue.

This stupid fear mongering of 'closet racist' or 'hidden racist' need to fucking stop.
>>
I wonder if they're gonna actually cast a Japanese male pilot in this one?

The fact that Japan was the only one whose Jaegar wasn't piloted by its own citizens in the movie rubbed me the wrong way. I had to read the tie-in comic to find about Kaori and Duc.
Thread replies: 255
Thread images: 47

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.