[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Hirohiko Araki hates Gundam and Evangelion
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /m/ - Mecha

Thread replies: 191
Thread images: 23
File: it-was-i-dio.jpg (68 KB, 1280x720) Image search: [Google]
it-was-i-dio.jpg
68 KB, 1280x720
Do you agree with the author of Jojo's?

>Araki: Those anime, like Evangelion or Gundam... I don't understand the point that "MCs with the mental states of I don't actually want to fight". (laugh)

>Taku: I'd like to go clean and clear! I don't know (the point of) anime sorta NGE. It gives me headache. So, our NGE synchro rate is negative 500!

>Araki: That anime, it's crap...

>Taku: On NGE's MC, I feel like saying "You are being bullied because your such personality!" (laugh). I have strong feeling that I don't want to see something warped. On that super famous female character, Ayanami Rei, let me just say she's gloomy and looks like vicious (laugh).

>Araki: But, it make me wonder why that character has such vast range of approval and support.

Sauce:
http://web.archive.org/web/20090831163654/http://geocities.com/jojo2ch2000/araki1.html

Original quote:
荒木「あの、エヴァンゲリオンとかガンダム系のさ、
「ホントは戦いたくない心理の主人公がマンガの主人公になってる」ということがよくわかんないんですよ。(笑)
だってスカッとしないじゃないですか!悩まずに突き進んで欲しいよね。スカッと。
宅「スカッといきたいよね!エヴァンゲリオンとか見ているとわからない。頭が痛いもん。
だから、ボクら二人のエヴァシンクロ率はマイナス500だ!
荒木「あのアニメ、だめだよ・・・・・・。
宅「エヴァの主人公にしても「そういう性格だから、おまえはイジメられるんだ!」って感じで(笑)。
ボクはイジケたものは見たくないという気持ちが強いから。
女性キャラで大人気の綾波レイにしても、言ってみれば、陰気でタチの悪い女っぽいし(笑)。
荒木「でも、アレがあれ程支持されているのも不思議ですよね。
>>
I don't agree, but he's welcome to his opinion.
>>
>>14317290
>meme author who wasted 6 parts before actually knowing how to tell a story doesn't like a show where the MC has to actually do shit
No wonder he created Jotaro I guess.
>>
So he's the kind of person who enjoys dumb fun over complex plot and characters. Nothing wrong with that, but calling it trash is a bit much.
>>
>>14317290
JoJo looks like something that started ironically gay but as the series progressed the author unironically became gay.
>>
>>14317366
He never had a clear idea what to do with it and just goes along with what he feels like doing. Part 1 and 2 are standard 80s fighting shonen. Then in part 3 he introduced the concept of stands (which start being pokemon spirits and later become excuses to feature whatever bullshit he wants) and stayed with it. Japs and jojofags like whatever shit he makes so he has no pressure to improve.
>>
So much shit taste in one thread
>>
>shitty artist doesn't like thing
Who gives a fuck
>>
>EVA is bad because I don't like the characters
Yeah, he is better drawning manga, because he has 0 anime knowledge.
>>
Araki is the only Japanese man with the balls to shit talk Evangelion and get away with it. God bless.
>>
>>14317337
>wasted 6 parts
Part 2, 4, 6, and 7 say go fuck yourself.
>>
File: oshii.jpg (34 KB, 240x383) Image search: [Google]
oshii.jpg
34 KB, 240x383
>>14317442
>the only Japanese man with the balls to shit talk Evangelion and get away with it

Sure is newfag in here.
>>
File: swerve.png (336 KB, 817x1262) Image search: [Google]
swerve.png
336 KB, 817x1262
>>14317365
Uhmmm no
That's not what was said at all. You're projecting your fanboyism. He's saying that he doesn't understand why such a pathetic character like Shinji appeals to people and that Shinji's problems are a result of his own personality.
This is the truth that Eva fans hate to hear; that Shinji is at fault for his shitty life.

Based Araki. A man from a time when men were men.
>>
>>14317290
Literally reads like a shitty clickbait article.
>>
File: pillar-men.jpg (95 KB, 1280x720) Image search: [Google]
pillar-men.jpg
95 KB, 1280x720
>>14317464
>A man from a time when men were men.

Being a closet gay is considered manly now?

I love Jojo's but there is no denying that it's gay as fuck.
>>
>>14317452
>parts 4 and 6
>wacky adventures in shit town with shit protagonist that has no bearing on the overarching plot
>lesbian jail adventures that resets at the end so an actual good part can start
>not wastes
>>
>>14317455
Hell, even Domino himself said some negative comments.
>>
>>14317480
And there are problems with those?
>>
>>14317442
>Oshii
>Tomino
>Miyazaki
>Countless other big names from Anno's generation and earlier (including Araki)

Find me some anime creator from the 2000s onward who isn't a hack like Yamakan to say that Eva is shit, then I'll be impressed.
>>
Why is jojo treated like it's the gospel by it's fans, who cares what this guy thinks
>>
>>14317433
>shitty artist
Let's not say thinga that are objectively incorrect just because we don't like someone.

>inb4 dumbass posts part 1 art
>>
>>14317499

To be fair, even non-fans treat it like Gospel.

I haven't read enough to have a solid opinion, nor have I watched enough of EVA to have a solid opinion on that either.

But at times, it seems the respective fanbases are two sides of the same, overtly gushy coin.
>>
File: MishimaCoupSpeech.jpg (30 KB, 298x300) Image search: [Google]
MishimaCoupSpeech.jpg
30 KB, 298x300
Araki, Tomino and Oshii do not like Evangelion because they are not creators that try to appeal to the otaku fandom.

Evangelion is a work that appeals to lonely otaku perma-virgin scum. Shinji is their insert, a pathetic nervous wreck of a teenager who is mentally impotent.

Assertive characters do not appeal to otaku. Characters with strong ideals that grow over time do not appeal to otaku. Manly characters do not appeal to otaku.

The only things that appeal to otaku is sexuality, cuteness and patheticness. Otaku want to see cute girls sexually exploited. Otaku want to see male characters that are just as pathetic as they are. Otaku represent Japan's plague of herbivore men who dragging down Japanese society with their sheer inability. Otaku are scum and the reason why anime, manga and idol industries are in creatively bankrupt shambles.

Death to Shinji. Death to Otaku. Death to Anno. Long live the Emperor!
>>
>>14317516
>nor have I watched enough of EVA to have a solidly negative opinion on that either.
You don't belong here.
>>
>>14317290
Can a Japanese speaker give us some confirmation here? If that's his actual opinion, that's fine, but this thread reads like bait and /m/ is pretty gullible.
>>
>>14317464
>that Shinji is at fault for his shitty life.
I wasn't aware we could choose our parents now.
>>
>>14317521
Is it possible to fail harder than this guy?
>>
>>14317525
>CURRENT EPOCH
>not an ascendant being
It's like you aren't even aware of your own immortality.
>>
File: Nah.png (46 KB, 270x200) Image search: [Google]
Nah.png
46 KB, 270x200
>>14317523
It's legit.

>>14317525
>waaaaaah it's all my parents' fault!1
Shinji is your self insert. The true mettle of a person is how they deal with situations that are beyond their control. Shinji failed the test.
>>
>>14317521
>They're not otaku if they love Jojo!
wew lads

It's not like your rose-tinted "manly" super robot animes are made exclusively for otaku or anything.
>>
>>14317536
But Shinji got in the robot
>>
>>14317512
>objectively incorrect
>art
>>
File: shinjizz.gif (972 KB, 500x341) Image search: [Google]
shinjizz.gif
972 KB, 500x341
>>14317521
Wrong.

Oshii disliked Eva because he felt it was overly derivative and extremely overrated, with some people attributing some ideas to it when in reality they weren't new ideas at all.

Tomino and Miyazaki disliked how bleak and motivational the tone of the show was overall, and felt that it was simply Anno wanking himself off in his own depression, which is LITERALLY what happened in the Eva.
>>
Eva just isn't as good as you guys make it out to be. You were just younger and impressionable.
>>
>>14317536
>I'm privlaged and my problems are the only ones that are real and unavoidable.
top kek
>>
>>14317290
>his argument are day 1 newfag shitposts
ok?
No one who actually watched those shows falls for that meme. Both Shinji and Amuro nut up within like 5 episodes and it's to be expected that fucking children aren't too hot about becoming soldiers
>>
>>14317464
>character is actually flawed and multifaceted
>this is supposed to be a diss to the show
???
>>
Based. I hate Evangelion as well.
>>
>>14317570
>being flawed and multifaceted = being pathetic and incapable of growth
failed that writing 101 course, didja lad
>>
>>14317564
>character has any emotion other than pure manly adult confidence
>not a shitty self-insert
Pick one, butthurt Evafag.
>>
>>14317536

> Shinji is your self insert.

Except he's the opposite, he's similar, but all his bad traits are played up and focused on. Why do you think the reaction to him was so negative? Why do you think "Get in the Robot Shinji" is a meme when he got in the robot in the first episode? Why do you think there's a ton of EVA-fic where Shinji is either replaced outright, of turned in to the complete opposite of what he was in the show, ala "Shinji and Warhammer 40k"?

It's like you only know the show by its memes...
>>
>>14317542
>tfw you agree with Oshii
This is a weird sort of feeling, like looking at yourself in a fisheye mirror.
>>
>>14317546
>defending Shinji 'Jerks Off Over Comatose Bodies' Ikari
>>
>>14317589
>>14317575
>movie fags
Don't you have to go shitpost about the "salt episode"?
>>
>>14317542
>overly derivative
>extremely overrated
>people attributing ideas to it when they weren't new ideas at all
BAH GAWD, HE KILLED THAT NAIL
THAT NAIL HAD A FAMILY
>>
>>14317575
Even if what you said was true it still wouldn't be a criticism of the quality of the work. The show doesn't act like the character isn't a miserable wreck. It's not accidental. They didn't try to do something else and end up with a nervous wreck, that was the express intent
>>
>>14317290
Well I grew Eva's crap.

I wonder how he feels about mechanical anime with hot-blooded protags.
>>
>>14317570
You can be flawed and still tolerable, e.g. Amuro Ray. At least he eventually grows up and faces his problems bravely, despite the bad situations he finds himself in.
>>14317536
I don't like Eva that much, think Shinji is annoying, and find its "deconstruction" to be kind of unoriginal and pointless (even Mazinger has a guy that's in constant danger and feels worry about his own weak body) but to be fair, it actually is his parents fault. If you have a shit life, of course you're going to end up disheartened by it. I'm sure you think you understand everyone's lives perfectly from your limited view, but some people really do have lives so horrible, they can't carry on anymore. Real life is not Gurren Lagann where you can fix everything with positive thinking and suddenly cure your depression and lack of loving figures in your life.
>>
>>14317434
>shitty characters
>shitty, rehashed plot
What is there to like about this show, again?
>>
File: ideon-headshot.gif (990 KB, 500x348) Image search: [Google]
ideon-headshot.gif
990 KB, 500x348
>>14317542
>Tomino
>complaining about Eva being too bleak

Pot calling kettle black, anyone?
>>
>>14317499
I love it but don't treat it like it's gospel.

I do like Araki as well and I get why he doesn't like protags like this and while I'm fine with them I o find the ones who don't eventually develop the spine to fight grating, unless done well.
>>
>>14317643
Alternatively, takes one to know one. He's in the best position to remark on the subject. It's not like Tomino is particularly happy about his own "depressing" works.
>>
>>14317521
>Otaku represent Japan's plague of herbivore men who dragging down Japanese society with their sheer inability
And the adult men that do things (like having jobs and families) don't watch anime, so there's no point in making things for them.
>>
>>14317643
Tomino himself knows it all too well because he felt that same suicidal depression Anno felt in Eva when he was making Victory, and to this day considers Victory to be one of his worst shows. By the time Eva finished Tomino had already gotten over it and was about to make Turn A, which effectively demonstrated his newer and more positive outlook on life.
>>
>>14317632
>this is what Gundamcucks actually believe
Neo /m/, everyone.
>>
>>14317675
>unironically using cuck
>accuses others of being new
Amuro had actual development. He got in the robot, stayed in it, and became an instructor. He got a job. He moved past his fears. Flawed characters are not automatically good, or else we'd say Coldsteel the Hedgeheg is a tragic manifestation of sorrow due to his poor upbringing and think of him as the best Byronic hero to ever exist.
>>
I like both Eva and Jojo for different reasons. I'm failing to see where the big argument above is coming from, are you all just that bored?
>>
>>14317700
>wuh muh PTSD
>wuh muh bad dad
Fuck off, faggot. All of Amuro's problems are due to his poor choices. Read Getter, faggot.
>>
File: Not-This-Shit-Again.jpg (65 KB, 604x340) Image search: [Google]
Not-This-Shit-Again.jpg
65 KB, 604x340
>>14317704
>Read Getter, faggot.

Oh, so it's you again, spic.
>>
>>14317452
>7
No, 7 is actually good.
2 is a fine for a classic fighting shonen.

4 and 6 are mostly filler battles. I like them, but they arent good stories.
>>
>>14317464
>This is the truth that Eva fans hate to hear; that Shinji is at fault for his shitty life.
but that's literally the exact thing that every eva fan loves to talk about like it's the deepest revelation in anime

>dude, you're not supposed to like shinji! isnt that the DEEPEST?!?
>>
>>14317575
he was capable of growth, it just didn't happen until the very last episode/movie
>>
>>14317521
>Otaku want to see male characters that are just as pathetic as they are
Recently otaku don't even want to look at male characters at all.
>>
File: 10406152_p0.jpg (28 KB, 280x408) Image search: [Google]
10406152_p0.jpg
28 KB, 280x408
>>14317704
I have read Getter. It's largely about sociopaths that have nothing to do with this situation we're describing, so I don't even know what point you're trying to make or why you are so upset since you can barely form completely sentences. Did I state at some point that Amuro was the best character ever or that he didn't make bad decisions? I simply stated that he improved past his bleak state. I don't think that he could help living on a colony that was about to get torn apart by war. That's like saying "Oh, well those Mexicans could have just hopped the border to escape the cartels, so they're at fault for being afraid of getting killed by drug dealers."
I wasn't even implying that Amuro was the same kind of character as Shinji. Just that he is flawed, but more tolerable. I could have used any example, really, but I figured I'd use one that most of /m/ could probably understand. If you'd like a more pleasing example, let's use Jack Atlas from Yugioh 5D's, a character with a different set of flaws. He's born poor, gains arrogance upon achieving celebrity status, then has to learn to become humble after losing his money and status. Now, if he had stayed arrogant and rich the entire show, I probably would not like him very much. If he stayed in the initial slump he was in after losing his wealth, I would not have liked him very much either. However, he recovers from his bleakness, even after losing everything, so I find his brand of character flaws not too obnoxious.

As for the rest of Amuro's issues, well, you are correct in that the does make poor decisions due to his uncertainty and depression, such as refusing to pilot the Gundam until disciplined by Bright, he also is forced into some of them, e.g. getting drafted in the first place. But yet again, he overcomes his issues and moves past them, which is why I do not find his characterization as annoying as some other characters. I hope we have come to an understanding of sorts now.
>>
>>14317290
I can't comment on any of the EVA stuff because the (you)s would be overwhelming.

First of all I think "it's crap" is a mistranslation, in context it's more like "not a fan" "I am no good with these".

His earlier art has shitty proportions, but the style evolves quite clearly over the course of time. The sameface problem in his recent works is probably a result of him studying the facial structure of famous western statues and paintings. So any HURR SHITTY MUSCLEMAN ARTIST memes can be disregarded.

About the gay part, well, the aztec gods of fitness and some other character designs can be quite questionable, and the majestic poses fuels the idea of homosexuality. However if you do get into his work you can see all the fuzz is more of characters being expressive in a bizarre manner rather than wanting to suck dicks, another meme.

character wise, JoJo isn't all about hotblood muscle man tearing apart evil guys, suprisingly. Part 7 features a protagonist who became a cripple by being shot in the back for being a prick, and cries a lot when facing challenges. Yet this guy and his buddy does some of the most hot blood shit throughout the part.

I don't know why I bothered to type all that shit, someone is probably gonna reply with witty greentext NO U anyways
>>
>>14317750
>implying I'm gonna read all this autiatic bullshit shit of you making excuses for your precious self-insert mary sues
>>
>>14317290
I think this is why he holds a low opinion on Jonathan compared to Dio, one of his favorites.
>>
File: 1463686878618.png (25 KB, 247x247) Image search: [Google]
1463686878618.png
25 KB, 247x247
>Hates Evangelion
>References it in the manner of his current manga

Bravo araki
>>
Can we please get a Jojo containment board already.

You assholes are just as bad as the pony fuckers
>>
>>14317833
*Name not manner

Fucking mobile posting
>>
>>14317643
See, there's a difference between bleak and occasionally melancholy. Whereas Eva is pretty fucking bleak all throughout, Tomino in his works at least doesn't constantly try to keep things utterly hopeless
>>
>>14317834
>one thread
>OH MY GOD CAN WE CONTAIN THEM ALREADY

but anon, this IS a containment board, for obnoxious gundamfags and evafags
>>
>>14317540
Yes, Araki's art is objectively good.

>>14317478
>Being a closet gay is considered manly now?
Yes, real men hide their homosexuality
>>
>>14317866
>Yes, Araki's art is objectively good.

his more recent offerings have a bad case of sameface, though.
>>
>>14317861
Fuck off you faggot. This is a containment board for GUNDAMFAGS ONLY
>>
>>14317875
And Riderfags.
:^)
>>
>>14317880
And Symphogear, apparently.
>>
>>14317866
>Araki's art is objectively good
If you have a preference for same face and stiff as fuck looking posing
>>
nice interview, makes me nostalgic for the 90s when NGE wasn't a meme yet and there were some fresh perspectives on it
>>
>>14317521
I watched Evangelion for Eva units going berserk and the bluehaired waifu. The rest just came with the package.
>>
>>14317768
You won't read it because you can barely read english at all, spic.
>>
>>14317521
>The only things that appeal to otaku is sexuality
>Otaku want to see cute girls sexually exploited.

are you talking about otakus or normal heterosexual men?
>>
>>14317290
I agree with what he said for Evangelion.
>>
So we're just going to get angry at the Eva part and not even discuss the Gundam part? I like Araki and find his opinions interesting, but
>surprised that drafted soldiers don't want to fight
Also, has he only seen the first one? Like half of the Gundam shows aren't even about guys that hate fighting anymore. I get the feeling he would like G Gundam, at least more than some of the stuff he's alluding to.
>>
>>14318280
Yeah, and war fighting (be it Zeon or Angels, the situations were surprisingly not all that different) is different than revenge/honor fighting or fighting for your dreams and shit. And not all battles can be as glamorous as Jojo.
>>
>>14317833
Well he hates the english language and their speakers but keeps referencing songs/bands from the anglosphere
>>
File: 1428464366932.png (174 KB, 513x508) Image search: [Google]
1428464366932.png
174 KB, 513x508
>>14317290
Different people have different taste
>>
>>14318312
He prefers Italian?
>>
>>14318312
>he hates the english language and their speakers
source? I wouldn't be surprised, though, given how they didn't care about his works at all until the new anime.
>>
File: 1465105559441.png (369 KB, 693x356) Image search: [Google]
1465105559441.png
369 KB, 693x356
>>14318380
Kinda hard to fully blame them due to the copyright laws thing
>>
>>14318380
One time he drew a manga artist character that said so, so it must be him voicing his actual complaints about a huge portion of his hobby! Or maybe he was just pissed about how it was hard to license his stuff in those countries due to copyright and he doesn't actually hate people. It is a mystery.
>>
File: jojocosplay6.jpg (144 KB, 600x800) Image search: [Google]
jojocosplay6.jpg
144 KB, 600x800
i don't even know what the fuck is Jojolion is even about now

anyway, basically Rock Human is this universe Pillar Men yes?
>>
>>14317750
>Getter
>sociopaths
Confirmed for liar
Evafags amirite
>>
>>14317290

>That anime, it's crap...(On Evangelion)

I agree with.
>>
>あのアニメ、だめだよ
could really be taken to mean just "That anime just isn't for me" especially considering the preceeding quote by Taku.
>>
>>14318478
OP's translation may be too harsh, but your apologist translation is more incorrect.
>>
>>14317544
Wasn't EVA meant for the angst ridden teenager audience?

You know: problems with parents, nobody understands me, girls are weird, adults ways lie yada yada.

When you watch Evangelion when you're older you see all the faults. But it was meant boys.
>>
>>14318478
The most literal translation is "It's no good", not your watered down crap.
>>
>>14318483
Oh fuck off. Eva IS shit. I don't care particularly if Araki's views aren't going along with mine. Then again, why would I expect anything else from a evatard
>>
>>14318489
maybe the problem isn't with a modest budget 90s cartoon with a famously shaky production, the problem is with modern viewers' expectations of it
>>
NGE being treated like more of a cultural phenomenon than a regular old show makes any fair analysis impossible

How it transitioned from almost lighthearted monster of the week stuff to whatever the fuck EoE is blew me away in the 90s and I still admire the show for that train-going-off-the-tracks feel it has. It's flawed, the plot is kinda dumb, etc, but man, why does everything have to be "awesome" or "shit sucks" around here
>>
>>14318503
You don't into japanese context very well
>>
>>14318523
And you do, whito piggu?
>>
>>14318530
apparently so, gook
>>
>>14317365
He didn't say it was trash.
>Ano anime dame da yo...
He's only saying he doesn't like it.
>>
>>14318554
You can't understand the nihons, just stop.
>>
>>14317643
It might be because it was Happy Tomino that said that and maybe he regretted the mistakes of his youth but even then I still feel that he has the upper hand.
Even in his bleakest of despairs he never projected his own feelings on the characters and always stayed detached and neutral in his work. In Eva Anno was just wallowing in his own self pity. It's unseemly. Embarrassing to watch. No creator should ever allow himself to fall this low.
>>
I get what he's saying, but I disagree
Jojo is garbage
>>
>>14317365
>Eva
>complex characters or even well written
>>
I can understand his point of view, both with respect to Gundam and especially when it comes to Evangelion.

I recently got a friend who had seen Wing as a child into UC stuff, and, while he ended up liking it, he was less than pleased about the prevalence of pacifistic themes/characters who had such problems with the idea of actually fighting. Rationally, he understood that the characters were acting that way because it made sense for their background and situation, but he made the (valid) point that, in most cases, the story generally did not necessitate the protagonists being so reluctant about war.

Evangelion, on the other hand, is an inexcusable case. The main issue is not that Shinji is an insecure kid who is out of his depth, which is entirely understandable at the beginning of the series, but that he remained that way for the entire show for no other reason than Anno acting out his depression via his main character. The moment where the show starts to go off the deep end into trainwreck territory (ie when Shinji gets sucked into the Dirac Sea) is also the moment where all of the character development Shinji had accumulated to that point is erased so that the show can end on a wholly depressing/disastrous note.
>>
File: 1449695886233.jpg (430 KB, 800x640) Image search: [Google]
1449695886233.jpg
430 KB, 800x640
>>14317521
>>
File: beady.jpg (25 KB, 490x313) Image search: [Google]
beady.jpg
25 KB, 490x313
>>14318312
He knows the perfidious powers of those beady eyes.
>>
>>14318510
Yeah I watched EVA because it was on the "anime for beginners" list that you start with.

Wasn't terrible or anything just not the best ever anime equivalent of the Sistine chapel.

It's a solid 7/10 but anime like Patlabor really blew my mind more than EVA.

Evangelion is just over hyped by now.
>>
>>14318461
Half of the time, Benkei seems more concerned with fighting and winning than preserving his own life. Is that just insanity?
>>
>>14319642
Stop making things up.
>>
File: 1447299035562.jpg (162 KB, 631x2852) Image search: [Google]
1447299035562.jpg
162 KB, 631x2852
This thread is going surprisingly well considering how hard OP was baiting everyone.
>>
>>14319696
Did see raped her?
>>
EVA revolutionized the anime genre. And I'm saying this as someone who finds it very overrated, its effect on the industry is hard to overstate. It pretty much created the current format that most anime follows in that animes are made for broadcast TV, but are essentially meant as huge advertisement for ITSELF (ie DVD's) and not something else like toys with gundam, or candy in the early early days of anime. It changed the industry.

Now if you want to tell me its revolutionary because its so deep and meaningfull, you can fuck right off, however.
>>
>>14320372
You're wrong. Post proofs.
>>
>>14320393
The proof is that virtually all anime follows Evangelions business model

Or did you want me to post proof that the show is trash on artistic merits?
>>
>>14320372
But OVA already existed?

Like Legend of the galactic heroes. It was never even broadcast on TV iirc.
>>
File: proofs.webm (889 KB, 320x240) Image search: [Google]
proofs.webm
889 KB, 320x240
>>14320437
>The proof is that virtually all anime follows Evangelions business model
>>
I watched NGE well before I went online, and didn't actually have anyone to talk to about it, so I ended up being surprised at how popular Rei seems to be. She's just such a blank slate, at least from Shinji's perspective.
>>
File: 1438638764191.jpg (128 KB, 400x534) Image search: [Google]
1438638764191.jpg
128 KB, 400x534
>>14320470
>so I ended up being surprised at how popular Rei seems to be
>>
>>14320461
I'm talking about TV shows being made, and planned to make their main revenue as people by the DVDs. Even though they saw said show on TV already. This is different from OAV's which typically don't air on TV (LoGH for instance has been aired on television, but later) to begin with.
>>
>>14320498
Everything you're saying is a fantasy created in your mind that has no basis in reality.
>>
>>14320509
Yes, certainly. Evangelion revolutionized anime by being deep and perplex instead. You make such a compelling argument.
>>
>>14320517
I never said that. Why can't you back up your claims, instead of baseless ad hominem? Everything you post is full of shit.
>>
>>14320517
You're not making any kind of argument. You're just saying something is one way without saying why or how.
>>
Can you please prune this thread already?
>>
>>14320535
Because it's the starting post of this kind of business model? Like animes after it follow the same pattern? What additional proof do you need. That IS the proof.
>>
>>14317290
>All Gundam MCs aren't willing to fight
>>
>>14320549
>Because it's the starting post of this kind of business model?
Prove it.
>Like animes after it follow the same pattern?
Prove it.
>What additional proof do you need. That IS the proof.
You're just making wild claims.
>>
>>14320560
Yeah there are a few cool guys like Heero and Mikazuki in that shit franchise.
>>
honestly more surprised you've not come across this before
>>
>>14317635
>What is there to like about this show, again?

I haven't watched JoJo, so I can't answer that.
>>
File: bullshit-detector.jpg (30 KB, 544x400) Image search: [Google]
bullshit-detector.jpg
30 KB, 544x400
>>14317536
>It's legit.

Prove it, you faggot!
>>
>>14320686
>they've entered the denial stage
>>
>>14320686
I'm fairly certain this same shit happened on /a/ and some anon pointed out that it's just an excerpt from the interview and that it was a very long time ago.
>>
>>14320686
I can tell you OP's translation of the Japanese text is legit. Whether the interview or the website are legit or not, I don't know.
>>
>>14318405
That was likely him just being coy since aside from part iii he couldn't get his stuff over here.

Plus he's said, several times that while there are parallels between him and Rohan, Rohan is infinitely more of a prick. From what I've heard he's a nice dude.

Fuckin Rohan is GOAT though can't wait for his ass to sow up in the anime.
>>
>>14320701
Except it's not.
>>
>>14318571
How is Anno wallowing in his own self pity in Eva? Is Shinji more or less his self insert or something?
>>
>>14320725
Yes. Many people would argue so based on his personal history but I don't think you even need to know about that.
Artistic expression is about putting a part of yourself in your work and from what I watched of his Eva seems the most personal.
When you watch it you can feel him calling out to you: "Please, feel sorry for me." I find it off- putting. An author should have more respect for his audience's personal space.
But them maybe it's all in my head. I don't know.
>>
Half the show could pass as SOL. Shinji's verbally sparring with Misato and using friendly sarcasm a few episodes in. Evangelion is hardly a cry for help from a depressed guy. It's like people only know the memes.
The ambivalence of both endings--"oh well, whatever, might as well keep on keeping on"--is typical of Japanese storytelling
>>
>>14320713
I like how you're so analpained you're just lying at this point.
>>
>>14320670
I was talking about Eva, though Jojo also has its fair share of contrivance and flaws, of course.
>>
>>14320780
Isn't that typical of many sorts of stoytelling and not just Japanese?
>>
>>14317668

That's true. Japanese entertainment industry has to stretch to market everything towards housewives and Jobless depressed Otaku because actual normal people with productive lives are too busy working themselves to death because of Japan's work climate to actually have time to entertain themselves.
>>
>>14318094

That's not what you're supposed to watch it for. Or so I was told.

The majority of the Eva fanbase seem to all be neurotic emotional wrecks on the verge of a breakdown that use it as some kind of self therapy or something.

Pointing out I don't really care for it because I find little entertainment value in it gets my head bitten off and told that's what "Other" robot anime is for and if I want robots fighting I should watch that instead.
>>
>>14317632
Except here is the problem that every individual must face: the realization that the world doesn't give a shit about your feelings if all you can do is cling to negativity. Nobody's life is perfect, but you either face your problems head on to the best of your ability or you fade into obscurity holding on to your woe is me. Shinji had people around him who had problems and felt like shit too but instead of thinking about what he could do to help others who had similar pain he was a selfish asshole who wanted to be validated just cause he exists. I was honestly hoping that he kiled himself in the end cause he was such a waste of space.
>>
>>14322343
Shinji did a little more than just exist, he piloted the eva and saved humanity.
>>
>>14322362
But that wasn't the point of the show. The real meat of the story was him realizing that yes, life is shitty, but you can still take things into your own hands and choose not to wallow in self pity.
>>
>>14317643
That movie ends with everyone holding hands and forgetting their differences as they head towards a brighter future.
>>
Reluctant heroes can be pretty tiresome. I feel like delivering that kind of character is only effective to an audience that is new to the idea.
So, someone who saw a show like Gundam or Evangelion early on might have had an experience with the show that left a big impression on them. But someone who saw the same shows after experiencing a variety of other works would probably find them less significant, and maybe even routine.
>>
>>14317750
>I have read Getter. It's largely about sociopaths
Why do people keep saying this? New is probably the most aggressive of Ryoma yet in episode one you see him groveling when he realize he messed up and only use violence in self defense when the goons attacked him.
>>
>>14322588
Even manga Hayato regretted killing his cousin in G.
>>
>>14322472
Personally, I think it hinges a lot on why they are reluctant and whether or not they are interesting outside of said reluctance.
>>
>>14317290
>Hirohiko Araki hates Gundam and Evangelion

Jojo's fanbase seems to be more cancerous than both franchises' combined.
>>
>>14322784
They're all pretty awful.
>>
>>14322784
yet the only ones bitching and moaning in this thread are evafags
>>
>>14322784
>>14323046
like really, only a handful of replies mention JoJo at all, everything else is your typical arguments over EVA itself.

The fact that Araki commented on EVA is irrelevant, we would get pretty much the same thread if op posts someone else's interview criticizing EVA.
>>
>>14318312
>Well he hates the english language

You do realize he doesn't like people saying Rohan is like him, right?
>>
>>14320461
>It was never even broadcast on TV iirc.

Actually it was later
>>
People are focusing too much on who said it and not what they're saying. Every Miyazaki thread is the same.
>>
>>14323151
Miyazaki is legit a hack though. While Araki is highly respected among mangakas.
>>
>>14317521
>Jojo is as homoerotic as it gets
>Mishima was a closeted gay fascinated by buff guys
Sasuga, shittyposter-kun.
>>
>>14323680
Shinji was an actual fag.
Mishima was as openly gay as he could be in his decade.
Jojo is fabulous, not gay.
>>
>Araki: Those anime, like Evangelion or Gundam... I don't understand the point that "MCs with the mental states of I don't actually want to fight". (laugh)

From Gundams, this only applies to SEED.
>>
>>14320549
No it isn't. You gain nothing from buying the dvds over just watching EVA on TV at the time.

The current business model is airing heavily censored otaku bait at shit hours and then the home release has the actual tities.

None of your arguments work faggot.
>>
>>14323700

Well, Amuro initially goes through some PTSD and is unwilling to fight, until Bright sets him right.
>>
>>14319261
>Look mum I said Eva was bad am I cool yet
>>
>>14317704
>if I boil down an argument to a brief point that doesn't expand on the actual opposing argument and continue using faulty wording like wuh muh it makes me look smart!
okay
>>
>>14325284
Uhmmm I don't think he was trying to look smart, anon. But then again, you've done a better job at looking stupid than he did.
>>
File: THE GALIENT WORLD.jpg (28 KB, 535x373) Image search: [Google]
THE GALIENT WORLD.jpg
28 KB, 535x373
Why are we even talking about this Jojo? We have our own.
>>
>>14317290
Best taste
>>
>>14319696
Hold on, let me try it on /a/.
>>
File: 1380909631022.png (169 KB, 576x432) Image search: [Google]
1380909631022.png
169 KB, 576x432
>>14317290
>I don't understand the point that "MCs with the mental states of I don't actually want to fight"

The man gets it. To fight is core human nature
>>
>>14317290
>I don't understand the point that "MCs with the mental states of I don't actually want to fight
Because fighting is inherently destructive, and unchecked bloodlust can lead to tragedy.

Also, most Gundam protags don't have a reluctance to fight, but they wish they didn't have to.

I mean look at Setsuna, or Uso, or Garrod, or Judau.
>>
>>14317337
Baitdesu.jpg
>>
>>14317521
This is a good post
>>
>>14317536
>WaifuEmblemfag thinks his opinion counts
>>
>>14317542
>Oshii disliked Eva because he felt it was overly derivative and extremely overrated, with some people attributing some ideas to it when in reality they weren't new ideas at all.
Jesus Christ, I think I finally found an opinion more hypocritical than Tomino calling Eva bleak.
>>
>>14330091
Or Kamille, who would repeatedly yell "Why don't you run away!?" as he jams his laser bayonette down his enemy's cockpit.
>>
>>14330529
>"You wouldn't die if you just had stayed home!"
Then they would be starving since doing nothing doesn't put food on the table you little shit.
>>
>>14330500
We could argue whether Oshii is actually good or not but I don't think anybody ever attributed anything particularly new or original to him.
>>
>>14331647
What I mean is that Oshii is extremely derivitave and overrated while treated as avant garde.
>>
>>14317464
By that logic Hunger or C&P are bad novels. Honestly sounds like a retard.
>>
>>14317290
>Araki: You see, I don't really understand the whole "this person who doesn't really want to fight becomes the manga's main character" thing series like Evangelion or Gundam have. I mean, it has to be something satisfying, doesn't it? We want someone who can push forward without doubts, right? Refreshing.
There are fundamental misunderstanding of the context behind those quotes. The interview seems to be about how they prefer much brighter and optimistic works, instead of bleak and depressing.
Plus this interview is from years ago.
>>
>>14317433

Just like Ken Ishikawa.
>>
>>14330886
They could just whore themselves out.
Thread replies: 191
Thread images: 23

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.