[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ad1 bBoiPkQc#t=83.520292 I&
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /m/ - Mecha

Thread replies: 13
Thread images: 1
File: Edgy.jpg (190 KB, 360x536) Image search: [Google]
Edgy.jpg
190 KB, 360x536
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ad1bBoiPkQc#t=83.520292

I've noticed that many modern anime creators attempt to cover up the fact that they are mostly going off an aesthetic, a vibe, a simple theme, and the shock of the gore and "mature" events that they are portraying. They do this through obscure dialogue and attempts to be artsy, invoking half baked attempts at philosophy/sociology/political theory etc, that often is mediocre to anyone who can sift past the word vomit itself.

Genocyber is honest about what it is, and what it is meant to be. It has little to show us except the destructive power of human ambition and technological progress leading us to our ruin, in the most visceral, unpretentious, and nihilistic presentation possible. We aren't supposed to be thinking deep thoughts, we are just meant to feel the grotesque horror that is presented to us and feel a bit uncomfortable about it.

I'm not saying that attempts at being something more than an edge-fest is bad, but if that is what you really have at the core of your concept, then own it like Genocyber does.
>>
>>14316970
I have no idea what the fuck you're talking about, but I'll take any excuse I can for a Koichi Ohata thread. Genocyber is fucking amazing.
I loved how he spliced in live action gore in the first episode. I don't even know why he did it, but it's new and interesting and freaks me out.
>>
>>14316970
Why the fuck do people say this show is confusing when it's so fucking simple?
>>
>>14317020
Same reason people say Eva is confusing -- they don't pay attention.
>>
>>14317282
I would agree with that and I'd like to add another point.

Another reason is that there's information and details aside from the main plot that lead nowhere. You don't need to know the answer to follow the main plot and the answers would bloat things anyway. Some people can't handle this and get confused as they try to fill in the blanks with what little they have.
>>
>>14316970
>I've noticed that many modern anime creators attempt to cover up the fact that they are mostly going off an aesthetic, a vibe, a simple theme, and the shock of the gore and "mature" events that they are portraying. They do this through obscure dialogue and attempts to be artsy, invoking half baked attempts at philosophy/sociology/political theory etc, that often is mediocre to anyone who can sift past the word vomit itself.
Sounds like every single 80's cyberpunk OVA.
>>
>>14317888

Bubblegum Crisis doesn't do that.
>>
>>14317001
He's calling modern anime pretentious but he's doing so in a super pretentious way himself.
>>
>>14318057
Bubblegum Crisis is EXACTLY fucking that, holy shit.
>>
>>14318087

Have you ever seen Bubblegum Crisis? Be honest. If so please point out to me the episode where one or more of the main characters go on a long winded pseudo-philosophical rant.
>>
>>14318076

Eh its not all modern anime, not even necessarily the majority. It just is a common occurrence that modern anime has parts meant to make it seem very intelligent where it actually isn't when you think about it, and often these works would be totally fine without them trying to seem that intelligent because they do have a pretty nice aesthetic, general theme, etc.I'm not even really dissing modern anime that hard, I'm just saying that some of what passes off as "depth" in the genre these days is actually really superfluous.
>>
>>14318076
Man, you're why "pretentious" doesn't have any meaning anymore. It's a fine easy to understand post.
>>
>>14318131
That's true for shows of any generation. Time filters out most of the bad shit.
Thread replies: 13
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.