[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
What are your thoughts on exkaiser? I've been watching
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /m/ - Mecha

Thread replies: 28
Thread images: 7
File: image.jpg (127 KB, 1334x750) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
127 KB, 1334x750
What are your thoughts on exkaiser?

I've been watching and I think it's pretty fun. Really great mech designs and music too.
>>
File: Hoard Beer.jpg (33 KB, 640x479) Image search: [Google]
Hoard Beer.jpg
33 KB, 640x479
Exkaiser was pretty a-okay. Definitely not the worst Brave or the best. Had some fun moments, but it was a tad too plotless to be all that interesting. The Geisters are absolutely my favorite villains of the Brave series, though, Dinobots though they may be.

But yeah, Brave shows didn't start really taking an identity of their own until Da Garn.
>>
>>14305323
I'm thinking of trying Goldran and Dagwon next, Dagarn and Fighbird are on my list too.
>>
COME WITH ME EXKAISER
>>
File: Goldran.png (3 MB, 1802x1601) Image search: [Google]
Goldran.png
3 MB, 1802x1601
>>14306040
Goldran is absolutely fantastic. Characters are loveable and their adventures are really fun. And Walter Walzac is definitely one of the best villains of the Brave Series. He basically steals the whole show and episodes focusing on him are definitely the best.
I also really liked the fact, that all of the Braves were important to the plot and had their chance to shine.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qhzsrqj62mE
>>
File: Da Garn.jpg (37 KB, 641x481) Image search: [Google]
Da Garn.jpg
37 KB, 641x481
>>14306040
I've seen all of those except Dagwon

Goldran was hands down the best one. Very charming story and characters, some of the best designs in the series, good balance of plot and character, excellent use of pacing and tonal shifts, etc. It's got everything except a good theme song and good animation. Favorite show in the series.

Da Garn's a very solid number two with a very strong plot, the best animation outside of GGG and (in my opinion) the best soundtrack in the series. Its cast of robots could have been stronger, but its other characters were passable and it knew very well how to make a very tense plot development. It and Goldran I like more than GGG

On the other hand, Fighbird was unfortunately pretty boring. It's basically Exkaiser with less goofy villains and more stock footage. I really wanted to like it; I love the designs of Fighbird and Thunder Baron, Katori was a strong protagonist and I enjoyed the kind of "classic" setup where Katori would launch his robot out of a mad scientist's base every episode, but the show just didn't really put any of it to good use, and the episodic plots were generally pretty weak. Aside from the few absolutely ridiculous ones, like where Drais's goons built a giant baby robot to take all the babies in a daycare park hostage, or where Drais flew to the moon to use a mass driver to shoot moon rocks at Earth or shit like that. Still, it was my least favorite in the series.
>>
>>14306165
>except a good theme song
Also a good singer. There are cats that sing better than she does.

>>14306040
Goldran is essentially a Time Bokan show in Brave form, only with the hero and villain positions swapped, so you may have fun with it.
>>
I remember years ago all we had finished was GaoGaiGar, Fightbird and J-Decker. It's about time the Brave series got the love and treatment is deserved.
>>
>>14306158
Alright I'm looking forward to Goldran even more.

I'm currently going through might gaine and that's been fun.
>>
>>14306304
now all we need is eldran.
>>
>>14306511
Raijin-Oh is officially done and Ganbaruger is over 1/3 done now, so that's something.
>>
>>14306531
Yeah too bad no one has posted a torrent for the raijin oh subs yet
>>
File: bgrobaf430.png (369 KB, 630x496) Image search: [Google]
bgrobaf430.png
369 KB, 630x496
I'm like halfway through and it's definitely aimed almost purely at children who'll probably get the most out of its extremely simple plots and characters while for everyone else it's going to be a case of "watch it and forget it".
Can't say it's bad or anything but unless you have to watch everything out there or want to know how the franchise started you're better off with something else.
That said, the secondary mechs having some kind of character and presence at least puts it above Fighbird and I'd even dare to say Might Gaine.
>>
>>14308343
>That said, the secondary mechs having some kind of character and presence at least puts it above Fighbird
Not unless you're talking about the Geisters. The only one I felt had any kind of character on the hero side aside from Exkaiser was Dash Max. And it was the same for Fighbird; it also had only one other robot with character: Guard Wing
>>
File: Dragonkaiser-4.jpg (23 KB, 556x270) Image search: [Google]
Dragonkaiser-4.jpg
23 KB, 556x270
A bit torn on it
It's a fun show, but I kind of wish there was more of a running plot, rather than THE GEISTERS ARE UP TO NO GOOD, even though they could pull off a half decent plan every now and then. I kind of wish that the Geister Robos had a bit better designs, but there's a few good ones here and there. Gotta love Muscle Clause and Gondam

Then again, it was the first of it's kind, but man, it's a little odd in that regard, seeing how other Brave series end up going. It's like they wanted weird slice of life AND MECHA ACTION at the same time, so they made Exkaiser. The slice of life parts are what I consider the most repetitive though. It doesn't matter WHERE in the world they go, some how Takumi ends up being there.

What the hell was up with these kid shows and snobby rich kids? Like they always have to make sure to show that this kid will always be a fuck of some sort.

When I look at the Dragon Jet, I get taken out of the show a bit, because I look at it, and I'm immediately aware "I'm looking at a toy. This thing is a fucking toy"
But at the same time, I love it. Dragon Kaiser is so much cooler than King Exkaiser.
>>
File: dinogaisutbwp1.jpg (523 KB, 1200x855) Image search: [Google]
dinogaisutbwp1.jpg
523 KB, 1200x855
And even though he doesn't have much personality at all, Dinogeist is pretty damn cool, especially with how they set him up.

Once he shows up, he immediate beats the crap out of the protagonists by himself for like 5-7 episodes, even the new Dragon Kaiser (which is stronger than King Exkaiser, right?), but then Great Exkaiser shows up, and manages to beat him.

What marketing genius. You want the cool Great Exkaiser? You gotta buy BOTH toys!
>>
>>14308617
You do know that the Brave series is what Takara decided to do with the Transformers brand after it was starting to not be as profitable as it was previously, correct? All of the Geisters except Dino Geist are just slight redesigns of the Dinobots from Transformers, and Dino Geist was apparently originally intended to be the new Grimlock. Naturally, the storytelling that Transformers used carried over to Brave as well; I imagine the staff that worked on it was mostly the same people who worked on Transformers Masterforce and Victory.

>Like they always have to make sure to show that this kid will always be a fuck of some sort.
All things considered, I think Takumi handled it pretty well. He wasn't dumb or whiny or anything.

> Dragon Kaiser is so much cooler than King Exkaiser.
Fighting words there. That was one of the problems I had with Exkaiser. I think it blew its load too early since I like King Exkaiser's design and its final attack so much more than what its two "upgrades" get
>>
>>14308622
Dino geist was pretty damn cool yeah.

>>14308636
Yeah I like king exkaiser a lot more than it's later upgrades too.
>>
>>14308343
>>14308599
In the end, Yatabe only gave a damn about the humans. Even Da Garn had this, since the one good robot with any personality was Land Bison. Thankfully, Takamatsu changed things up (via J-Decker) after putting up with Takara's shenanigans for Might Gaine.
>>
>>14309100
I thought Ga Ohn had a bit of character to him as well, for what time he had before he just became parts for GX
>>
>>14308599
While it's true that they don't have any complex character arcs devoted to them, actually saying a line or two every now and then is a lot more than you can say about bots like Drill Baron who were simply just there as a piece of the combiner.
>>
>>14310777
Granted, but outside of J-Decker, that rarely happened after a team's introduction arc anyway. Even in Goldran, which probably had the most characterization in its robot cast outside of J-Decker, good luck seeing any of the Silver Knights say anything individually after combining into God Silverion for the first time.
>>
>>14310777
I haven't seen Fighbird, but isn't it the case that the Barons aside from the leader all had no soul? I've heard that before.

>>14310819
>good luck seeing any of the Silver Knights say anything individually after combining into God Silverion for the first time.

It occasionally happens. Very major emphasis on "occasionally".
>>
It's not my favorite Brave series (that would be J-Decker) and it's not the most goofy-fun Brave series (that would be Goldran), but it's not bad. It's dumb, shallow, fun, which is a nice change of pace considering most of the mech shit I watch is real robot melodrama.
>>
>>14310859
Yeah, Ace Baron was the only one that had one of the alien lifeforms in it. The rest were just drones. And that's not really a bad thing. No sense writing lines for characters that wouldn't have mattered anyway. Better to save that stuff for the main character. Still, Fighbird had a number of other problems.
>>
Did we get better subs for the last half of Might Gaine yet? I'm really eager to finish it but I worry the HK subs might ruin some of the better moments.
>>
Can anyone help me with something? I saw this clip of Great Da Garn GX grasping a big sword with both hands, but he never did that in the show. Does this come from Brave Saga, or something else?
>>
>>14311171
That's the only piece of Brave to not be "properly" subbed at this point. I've heard that the only real sticking point with the crabsubs is the names are really off.
Thread replies: 28
Thread images: 7

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.