[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
So I'm totally new to /m/ and /a/nime in general, I'm
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /m/ - Mecha

Thread replies: 64
Thread images: 5
File: kWwenx7.jpg (244 KB, 1920x1080) Image search: [Google]
kWwenx7.jpg
244 KB, 1920x1080
So I'm totally new to /m/ and /a/nime in general, I'm looking for recommendations, good shows or movies to watch with mechas

Already watched Evangelion and pretty much every Godzilla movie
>>
>>14301839
>good shows
>already watched Evangelion

oh boy
>>
>>14301839
You already watched eva, and that's the best /m/ anime, so all you have left are shit shows

>inb4 retards disagree with me

Stay mad evahaters
>>
>>14301843
Never said it was good or anything, just that I watched it, retard
>>
>>14301839
Legend of the Galactic Heroes
Giant Robo
Gundam 0079
Macross

Just to name a few.
>>
>>14301839
I don't know what you're into, but I'll tell you to watch Gunbuster. It's only six episodes long and it spans much of what mecha has to offer. If you don't at least like it, chances are there aren't many mecha shows you will like.
>>
>>14301877
Thanks mate

I was planning to get into Gundam, but it's seems to be a lot of versions and stuff. Which ones should I watch?
>>
>>14301910
>Gundam
Start with the first series. If you can't handle a bit of old animation you should head back to /a/.
>>
>>14301916
Don't mind the old animation, I just wanted to know if I could watch some versions without seeing others and vice versa, the most interesting ones
>>
>>14301909
I'll check this out, thks
>>
>>14301925
First Gundam and War in the Pocket are probably the best.
>>
>>14301925
most of Gundam sucks. The biggest reason why /m/ watches it is to have a background to the figures they collect. The second biggest reason is to be able to complain about it.

If you wanna get into Gundam do it, but place it at the bottom of your priorities list. There's better stuff you gotta watch first.
>>
>>14301936
Alright, you got a few names?
>>
>>14301839
"with mechas" is pretty broad. What kind of tone are you looking for?

Gunbuster
Dai-Guard
Legend of the Galactic Heroes
Shin Mazinger
The Big O
Patlabor
Super Dimension Fortress Macross
Armoured Trooper VOTOMS
Fang of the Sun Dougram
Gundam 0079
Zeta Gundam
G Gundam
Gundam X
Giant Robo: The Day The Earth Stood Still
Tengen Toppa Gurren Lagann
Shin Getter Robo vs Neo Getter Robo
Getter Robo Armageddon

should give you a decent coverage off the top of my head
>>
>>14301939
Patlabor
Dougram
Godannar
>>
>>14301939
I'm gonna say VOTOMS and Armor Hunter Mellowlink.

And also Escaflowne even if it's half-shoujo
>>
>>14301910
>>14301925
It depends on what order you want to go in. Release order, chonological order, or order in whatever the fuck you like. I did the latter beause I wanted to watch what interested me.

Personally, I like 0079, 08th MS Team, War in the Pocket, Zeta, Char's Counterattack, Thunderbolt, and Turn A. I still have some Gundam I need to watch, but those are the ones that stand out to me.
>>
>>14301942
I liked the tone of Evangelion until it became some trippy shit
But I like cyberpunk and futuristic kind of stuff

Thanks for the list
>>
File: md_geist_awsm1.jpg (24 KB, 400x275) Image search: [Google]
md_geist_awsm1.jpg
24 KB, 400x275
MD Geist
>>
>>14301956
>I liked the tone of Evangelion until it became some trippy shit
Might want to look into RahXephon and Fafner as well, then.

>But I like cyberpunk and futuristic kind of stuff
I'd point you at Patlabor first and foremost, then, and Ghost in the Shell, if you somehow haven't seen that.
>>
>>14301956
Okay so you're not really looking for "anime with mecha", cause very little of it actually has a cyberpunk tone.

MADOX-01 is as close as you'll get and it's just an OVA.
>>
>>14301962
Ghost in the shell was already on my list, along with Cowboy Bepop (not mecha but still)
>>
>>14301962
>>14301956

GITS isn't focused on mechas at all.

But if you're gonna get into GITS, read the manga. Then watch the first movie. And then whatever.
>>
You should watch:
Gundam
Macross
Something by Takahashi Ryosuke
Something not Gundam related by Tomino
>>
>>14301967
Like I said, I'm new, even to anime in general
>>
>>14301969
the mechas are just a very small part of GitS, and they're entirely left out of the movies.
You'll certainly get more mecha action by reading Appleseed.
>>
>>14301977
>even to anime in general
In that case, I'd second the list in >>14301942, though not in that order. Dai-Guard, for instance, is a 10/10 show but really works if you've had some more conventionally super robot stuff under your belt.

I'd definitely go into Gunbuster (and maybe Diebuster, though don't go into it expecting a cut-and-dry Gunbuster sequel) just because it's a small time commitment and gets across a lot of the tone/themes of a lot of mecha in general.

Plus, Noriko a fucking best.
>>
>>14301839
Chargeman Ken
>>
>>14301967
The first arc of VOTOMS had a bit of a cyberpunk feel to it, I think
>>
>>14301994
not really
it has a space western feel, but since cyberpunk is often about technology bringing civilization down, it ends up looking similar.
>>
>>14301994
>>14301984

Will definitely watch it then
>>
VOTOMS in spite of how dated it is, and how subpar the animation can be, is a really entertaining show; it's got a really strong protagonist, flawless directing, and manages to have its own aesthetic and cohesive setting while still taking elements from wildly different branches of scifi.

But it's a fucking far cry from EVA. In fact it's the exact fucking opposite.
>>
>>14302015
>ChiricoRei.jpg
>>
>>14301839
Hey OP, it's not anime, but if you like cyberpunk then Blade Runner would be up your alley.

As far as Anime recomendations go:

I think Every anime fan should watch Mobile Suit Gundam.

Gao Gai Gar is a great entry level mecha show.

Tengen Toppa Gurren Lagan and New Getter Robo/Shin Getter vs Neo Getter are great starts too.

Xabungle is a fun watch.

Turn A Gundam should be considered, but is not necessary.

Anything Mazinger, though your best start is the Mazinkaizer OVA's

That's all I got. Hope that helps.
>>
>>14302015
>it's got a really strong protagonist
Chirico is great, but I think the supporting cast deserve mention as well.

Honestly, I'd watch a show that was just about Vanilla's side of the story.
>>
>>14302059
...fuck. Now I want a sidestory about Vanilla and Gotho's bar on Kummen.

More than any new Chirico sidestories Bandai thinks we need, I would love this idea.
>>
>>14301910
start from unicorn
best gundam after war in a pocket
>>
Gunbuster

I feel like this was the logical conclusion of anime and it was all just downhill since... not saying it's the GREATEST, but the accumulation of what draws us to this stuff
>>
>>14301978
There's a giant spiderbot at the climax of GitS. Are you baiting or stupid? Either way (You) earned this.
>>
>>14302573
Don't do this.
>>14301950
This guy has it.
>>
>>14301916

I'm in a similar situation as OP but watched the first 0079 movie today. Loved it but did I fuck up by not watching the series instead? Kinda wanted to save time but didn't look into anime/movie differences.
>>
>>14302865
Short answer: No
Long answer: Yes
>>
File: borotpeace.png (632 KB, 625x469) Image search: [Google]
borotpeace.png
632 KB, 625x469
>>14301858
I like the cut of this guy's jib.

First of all, here's what I can recommend to you if you're starting to get into mecha, which is the best and only respectable genre of anime there is.

>Mobile Suit Gundam.

You have to see this. It's a cornerstone, it hasn't aged that poorly, it lays the groundwork for so much that comes after, and it's a really memorable and iconic story. Even better, the English dub (for the series, not the movies, don't do a half measure) is fantastic, and Amuro's voice is perfect for the character. From there you can watch a lot of other things. I hated Zeta, but maybe you won't.

The things that are absolutely worth watching in the rest of the Gundam series when you finish are

>0080: War in the Pocket

Probably my favorite mecha-related thing of all time, and one of my favorite pieces of animation of all time as well. If you get into mecha and don't watch this you've missed pretty much the best thing.

>After War Gundam X
If you decide to watch Zeta and think it's shit (like me) then this is the sequel series you wanted (assuming you liked MSG and aren't a pleb.) Great characters, pretty good arcs, memorable moments, and a great general dynamic.

>Gundam: Char's Counter Attack

A movie that has flaws, and is not a great sendout to the UC era, but is one that is a fantastic sendout to the conflict between Amuro and Char. Try to watch Z and ZZ before you watch this.

I also really like Gundam G, and I like 0083 and 08th MS team, but the former isn't for everyone, and the latter two have some serious flaws holding them back. Still check them out if you can.

As for things that aren't Gundam:
>Gunbuster/Diebuster
-Both are very dumb, very fun OVA series that are very different in tone, but incredibly entertaining and well done. I think Gunbuster is a bit classier, and I prefer the story beats much more to Diebuster, but Diebuster has its merits as well. Watch in order if you do at all.

Will continue later.
>>
>>14302865
Honestly you should watch both versions eventually, especially if you liked it. Don't feel like you need to do both consecutively.

The Zeta movies, though, you should skip for the series.
>>
File: 1464126908303.png (790 KB, 804x804) Image search: [Google]
1464126908303.png
790 KB, 804x804
>>14301839
In no particular order:
Getter OVAs
Gunbuster
Giant Robo (this one is a must even if you aren't a big mecha fan, easily one of the greatest animated features of the last few decades)
G Gundam
Zeorymer

>>14302945
>Mobile Suit Gundam
>hasn't aged poorly
A- Anon...

Good taste on 0080 though.
>>
>>14302968
>Zeorymer
That's... a weird one. Honestly never seen that recommended as intro faire before. Why would you say that?
>>
>>14302977
I think it has a bit in common with Eva so it might be something worth OP's time.

Also is a good example of a mecha show that manages to cram a decent story in a short amount of episodes, though the same could be said for Gunbuster and Gundam 0080
Admittedly I haven't watched in a while so I'm not sure how it holds up compared to some of the other stuff in this thread
>>
>>14302945
Continued:

>Gun X Sword

Great for beginners. No filler, solid story and action. Main character is rad, and the villian is pretty great too.

>The Big O

If "Batman with a mecha with the voice of Spike from Cowboy Bebop" doesn't appeal to you then I have nothing else to say. Watch the dub.

Ending is not great.

And some mecha shows that are not necessarily about giant robots:

>Samurai 7

Re-telling of famed Japanese masterpiece "Seven Samurai" that is very good. You should watch "Seven Samurai", if not just to get where this is coming from, because you should watch that movie anyway.

>Eve No Jikan

Touching tale about robots and humans in love and stuff. Incredibly well done, one of the most "art" things I can recommend you.

>Dead Leaves

Does a guy with a television for a head count as mecha? I don't know, but there are some real robots, anyhow. This is a batshit insane action packed movie that doesn't get enough love. It is my own personal "underrated gem" and everyone should watch it.

>Cyborg 009 movies from the 60's

Far far better then they have any right to be.

There you go. Welcome to /m/. Don't go in the Getter Robo threads.

>>14302968
There is a pretty wide gap regarding shows that came out Mobile Suit Gundam and after it. I think any story that people still debate as much as we do (r zeons really the good guy!?!?!? threads) is pretty timeless.
>>
File: 1359761108806.jpg (302 KB, 1024x1333) Image search: [Google]
1359761108806.jpg
302 KB, 1024x1333
>>14301959
This is literally all you need OP.

Seriously, quit while you're ahead; this is a bad road to go down.
>>
>>14303166
>Don't go in the Getter Robo threads

I still get sad that a single shitposter ruined my favorite franchise's name on /m/, but that's neither here nor there I guess.

>I think any story that people still debate as much as we do (r zeons really the good guy!?!?!? threads) is pretty timeless.
The overall story is pretty well-construed, I won't argue that. I just thought the animation was a bit hard to swallow at times and there's a bit of erratic characterization here and there, but that's hardly an issue unless you're watching the movies.
>>
>>14301839
Macross
LOTGH
Yamato 2199
Any Gundam you could start with any AU or Thunderbolt. I still haven't really payed attention to the UC yet.
Valvrave if you want something retardedly bad but entertaining at the same time.
Fafner it's like NGE
>>
>>14302865
Why would you want to save time when the show itself is the experience? You're just cutting out good material.
>>
>>14301930
also do diebuster
it's the same lenght but it's more ecchi
>>
>>14301975
IS Ideon worth watching in this day and age?
>>
Does anyone have a recent copy of the /m/ gundam chart with the pros/cons

preferably one with IBO/thunderbolt added
>>
>>14301839
Cross Ange.
>>
OP, a lot of these replies are trolling you. Others are not. I could tell you which are which, but you have no way of knowing whether I'm also a troll or not. So basically, making this thread is a useless effort, you have to try things out on your own. Just look up a list of mecha shows, maybe check some pictures and spoiler-free plot summaries or something, and watch whatever catches your eye. Find out what's good or not for yourself.
>>
>>14301839
Watch Gundam 00 in its entirety
>>
Why is /m/ treating newfags nicely? This isn't the Zeon I used to know
>>
>>14310743
Because I'd rather have people develop an interest in and enjoy mecha, and not develop shit taste.

/a/ treats newfags like shit, and not surprisingly, it's one of the more cancerous boards. They always use "muh google" as their reasoning for getting rid of rec threads, but what they fail to understand is that they have a better grasp of what shows are good than whatever some newfag finds on google will. Or at least, they did at one point. If we did the same thing, the board would be flooded with A/Z and TTGL fans and we'd have threads asking if SnK is /m/ every other day.

Although as it is now, /m/ is flooded with Gundamfags, and I don't know that that's any better
>>
>>14310812
>Although as it is now, /m/ is flooded with Gundamfags, and I don't know that that's any better
This is our containment board faggot. Eat shit, get e coli, and suffer diarrhea hell.
>>
>>14310812
Mecha is a narrow enough niche that asking those with expertise is a worthwhile endeavor, whereas "wut anime is gud" is a ridiculously broad question that's been covered about 500 million times on /a/ already, so I can understand their intolerance of it at this point.And sure, you could come in with a better question, like, "What old school fantasy anime are worth my time?" and similar, but then you have 12 different threads asking about different genres, as opposed to one thread about the board's designated genre like here.

Also, OP, watch 0079 and SDF Macross.
>>
>>14310900
>Mecha is a narrow enough niche that asking those with expertise is a worthwhile endeavor
Mecha is just as broad as anime in general, unless you mean to tell me that SDF Macross, Big O, Iron Leaguer and Rayearth have anything in common with each other other than featuring robots at some point

>but then you have 12 different threads asking about different genres
/a/ moves fast enough that I doubt it would make much difference, and it doesn't even have a lot of real rec threads anyway. At least half the ones that are there are bait, which /a/ almost always takes. /m/ doesn't get as much of that, thankfully.
>>
>>14310191
Well, if they want to stay autists in their niche good for them
I really don't see the point of trolling someone seeking to start something they enjoy
Thread replies: 64
Thread images: 5

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.