[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
http://www.animenewsnetwork.com/rev iew/after-war-gundam-x/s
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /m/ - Mecha

Thread replies: 214
Thread images: 22
http://www.animenewsnetwork.com/review/after-war-gundam-x/sub.dvd-collection-1/.102708
>Gundam X has never been highly regarded, and yet it features a sentient dolphin. Lauren Orsini discovers what's holding this show back from true greatness.
Ouch.
>>
File: 1452002404851.jpg (49 KB, 960x720) Image search: [Google]
1452002404851.jpg
49 KB, 960x720
>Lauren
>>
>antagonist
>sentient dolphin

what the hell am I reading
>>
>>14301334
What a cringeworthy review. Sasuga ANN.
>>
>revolving door of antagonists that includes a sentient dolphin,
JFC, really?!

Amazing.

> there's the innovative and beloved Gundam X design—but it's one gem in a sea of clunky suits
DELET THIS
>>
>>14301334
>ANN review
I'd trust FOX News reviewing Gundam over ANN. Unless you want to post it here so I can laugh at it, I'm not clicking that link.
>>
Isn't this the only gundam to be cancelled (without being reinstated), thus never finished
>>
>>14301384
Next to 0079, yeah.
>>
File: paula.png (78 KB, 500x536) Image search: [Google]
paula.png
78 KB, 500x536
>>14301384
>we never got more based Paula

I HATE THIS.
>>
>>14301382
>
A full twenty years after its release in Japan, After War Gundam X has finally made it to English speaking audiences. This show came out in 1996, just a year after Gundam Wing, and has continued to live in its shadow. Gundam Wing was not only successful in Japan, but wildly popular in the United States as a Toonami flagship series that introduced many westerners to the Gundam franchise for the first time. It would be logical to think that after a runaway overseas success like that, Sunrise would want to bring the next Gundam show to the west as soon as possible. So why did Toonami air the older title G-Gundam, and pass over Gundam X?

The viewer numbers say it all. Gundam X saw audience ratings so low that it soon lost its coveted 5 PM Friday timeslot and began airing at 6 AM Saturday. The numbers didn't get better from there, and the series was cut from a year-long run to just 39 episodes. Its cancellation means it shares something with the original Gundam show, Mobile Suit Gundam, but it certainly could not have been seen as a good omen. Now that the first half of the show is out in the west, fans can finally see for themselves that it's a fairly average show. If you can get used to that '90s slowness, it's a Saturday morning cartoon calibur story with a few interesting points, memorable characters, and bizarre oddities that gets its depth from being part of the Gundam universe.
>>
>>14301384
It was cancelled, but it did finish. The final episodes were compressed down, but it still works well.
>>
>>14301384
They cut out one arc and finished it as intended.
>>
>>14301384
>Isn't this the only gundam to be cancelled
Wasn't 0079 also cut short for poor ratings?

>thus never finished
No, it got it's runtime shortened but the team managed to give it a satisfying ending. They just dropped some ideas and character arcs, but the main plot and themes were handled well.
I don't get how this "X was never finished" thing got so much steam, I've been hearing this shit for a decade.
>>
>>14301394
Gundam X has a '90s era plot that won't resonate with fans accustomed to a quicker pace. It takes three initial episodes to set everything up: teenage protagonist Garrod Ran meets the mysterious, childlike Tiffa Adill, gets hired to “rescue” her from a salvage ship captained by Newtype Jamil Neate, and eventually decides not only to disobey his shady employer, but to join the ship as a pilot himself. Had it been made in 2016, the first three episodes would have been compressed into one. The real story begins when Tiffa and Garrod join the Freeden crew and begin assisting the team with its overarching mission to seek out Newtypes all over Earth, a quest that gives the plot a Star Trek feel—a constant panorama of new places and temporary allies and antagonists—with the slate wiping clean again after every arc.

With this pair on board, the pace begins to escalate: Tiffa, a Newtype with clairvoyant powers, sketches out the locations she sees in her dreams, and Garrod goes out to investigate (and is often forced to fight what he finds) in his Gundam. In these first 19 episodes, the team encounters three Newtypes which all fall into tropes—the cybernetically enhanced prettyboy enemy-turned-ally Carris Nautilus, the “nude lady in a tube” Lutil Liliant, and oh yeah, a hyper-intelligent white dolphin. With all three, there's a feel of science-turned-magic that you might find in any Saturday morning cartoon, and treated with the same quasi-sincerity. Less interesting are the two recurring villain entities, the telepathic Frost Brothers and the pirate queen Ennil El, who have dubious motivations of revenge against Garrod.
>>
>>14301401
Similarly, the main characters are all cookie-cutter tropes you've seen, if not in other Gundam series, in other '90s anime. Captain Jamil is the ship's strong leader with an unhidden vulnerable side thanks to his wartime trauma. He serves as a father figure to both fifteen-year-olds, helping hotheaded Garrod become a better Gundam pilot, and protecting meek woman-child Tiffa, a Newtype like himself, from harm. Garrod endures brotherly joshing from fellow pilots Witz and Robea, while Tiffa receives motherly guidance from Toniya and tough love from Sala. Even on a ship with a child mechanic actually named Kid, these two are treated like the ship's children and this show, like most Gundam shows, is a coming of age story. But it's a too-rare treat when the show focuses on extending character development beyond basic archetypes, like in the unexpectedly heartfelt episode 15, “Do You Think There Is A Heaven?” which narrows in on side characters Witz and Robea.
>>
>>14301401
>Temporary allies and antagonists
Come the fuck on, the Frost brothers and New Federation are always there, and there are recurring allies.
>>
>>14301409
There's not much visual innovation here, either. Characters are line drawn with limited shading, providing visual interest only to make exaggerated '90s facial expressions during each episode's occasional gags. When Carris Nautilus kidnaps Tiffa, he asks “How do you like your quarters?” and receives total silence in return. We the viewers are treated to a mere suggestion of dark brown wood paneling and white sheets—no wonder Tiffa's not impressed! The music is considerably more conducive in setting the mood—while the upbeat tempo intro song is just as addictive as I've come to expect from Gundam openings, the instrumental themes have considerable range and shift with the show's serious-funny-serious tone. Also, this is the first time Gundam X has been officially subtitled in English, but I found its reliance on modern turns of phrase to be weirdly colloquial and a little out of place for the older property.
>>
>>14301411
With its slower pace, wacky faces, and revolving door of antagonists that includes a sentient dolphin, this is the cartooniest of Saturday Morning cartoons. But it's not totally forgettable, and it owes any glimmer of depth to its belonging in the established Gundam universe. Most likely, the people who are going to give Gundam X a chance are people already familiar with the Gundam canon. Within the universe, Gundam X has some interesting things to say about Gundam concepts. While many Gundam series attempt to hold off the apocalypse, Gundam X presents a world in which the worst has happened, and how humanity attempts to get by anyway. While other Gundam series portray Newtypes as the chosen few, Gundam X suggests the other side of the coin, an increased risk of exploitation and trauma. And of course, there's the innovative and beloved Gundam X design—but it's one gem in a sea of clunky suits, and the animation budget is rarely enough to show everything the X can do. Looking at Gundam X as a whole reveals some interesting riffs on the intellectual property it has to work with, but you'll still have to slog through predictable characters and ho-hum animation to get there.

>Review ends here
>>
>>14301411
>When Carris Nautilus kidnaps Tiffa, he asks “How do you like your quarters?” and receives total silence in return. We the viewers are treated to a mere suggestion of dark brown wood paneling and white sheets—no wonder Tiffa's not impressed!

Did this person not watch all the way or something? Learning to emote again is a major focus of Tiffa's character arc.
>>
>>14301429
>Only first 19 episodes in DVD set.
>>
>>14301334
>Praises Wing, but then criticizes X for having a slow pace
>Criticizes the magi-science of newtypes in X when it's pretty much the same as the rest of the gundam series.
>Thinks the newtype dolphin was an antagonist.

Okay, so this guy is a typical ann reviewer who only skimmed the series and writes from an extremely biased view point.

>SENTIENT DOLPHIN

Okay he's even dumber than I thought. ALL DOLPHINS ARE SENTIENT. IN FACT THE MAJORITY OF ANIMALS ARE SENTIENT. SENTIENT =/= SAPIENT GET IT FUCKING RIGHT.

Yes I am mad about this. Its a very common mistake and I hate that it's so widespread.
>>
>>14301437
Oh whoops.
>>
>>14301429
He's an ANN reviewer. He has below average comprehension skills and only half pays attention the the few episodes he watches, reads the wiki page, then shits out a review/article in 20 minutes.
>>
>>14301446
>>14301459
The reviewer is a she and the same one who reviewed IBO and kept giving it an A.
>>
I've been watching a few episodes a week since getting the first set, so I'm about 1/3rd through the series. I'd say its been more interesting than the first 13 episodes of G and Wing.

Early G is kind of a repetitive slog, while early Wing is invincible pretty boys wrecking shit up. Meanwhile X has had some cool and high stake battles and reveals. Glad to hear that it gets a proper ending and all of that good stuff.
>>
>>14301464
>reviewed IBO and kept giving it an A.
How? link?
>>
>>14301464
I never though there would actually be a living image of how Tomino imagines women think and act, yet here we are.
If this is true, the colonies drop fast enough.
>>
>>14301394
>lost its coveted 5 PM Friday timeslot and began airing at 6 AM Saturday. The numbers didn't get better from there

Gee, you fucking think? It doesn't take a genius to realize most people won't watch a 6 am show
>>
File: 1458064472486.jpg (18 KB, 340x291) Image search: [Google]
1458064472486.jpg
18 KB, 340x291
>>14301464

Dislikes X but loves IBO? Damn that nigga retarded.
>>
>>14301400
>I don't get how this "X was never finished" thing got so much steam
Because the final episodes are very clearly rushed, so by not finishing people mean it is not the originally intended length.
>>
>>14301485
They're both bad.
>>
>>14301459

ANN likes to sound smart reviewing these shows when they likely failed high school English Lit. Subtle character development that's not explained in length to the audience? Forget about it, over their heads.

Wasn't this the same woman who said to avoid 00 because the first season was too confusing?
>>
Someone who believes in the lie of Newtypes. Tsk tsk.
>>
>>14301446
Oh, and it gets a bit funnier from there. There is a theory that Dolphins are already sapient as well. Or to have at least some degree of sapience.

Literally all she had to say was newtype dolphin. Or even psychic dolphin.
>>
>ANN
that shit still exists? talk about an unwanted blast from the past
>>
>>14301334
>Lauren Orsini discovers what's holding this show back from true greatness.
AKA nothing
>>
L-l-look on the bright side /m/, the comments seem to point out she's been too harsh
>>
>>14301464
HOW

HOW THE FUCK DO YOU COMPLAIN ABOUT PACING IN X BUT GIVE IBO AN A

WHAT MADNESS IS THIS?
>>
>>14301572
Because ANN is retarded. And is just gonna suck off the new flavor of the week to get them selves clicks.
>>
>>14301459
Funny to talk of comprehension as if the reviewer slipped character critique in the middle of production values paragraph art section (jab at reaction faces doesn't change that).
>>
Is there a better site to keep track of animu news than ANN? They're always days late and their reviews and forums are utter dogshit. Mike Toole's stuff is okay though.
>>
>>14301599
Plus Reed Nelson did a fairly good Lupin guide (although I kinda wish the newest show fully aired before he completed it).
>>
>>14301599
Buried Treasure was the life and death of the site for me. So much good stuff uncovered and well written too.
>>
>>14301616
Same. Literally the only thing worthwhile on the whole damn site that wasn't the encyclopedia.
>>
>>14301401
>Gundam X has a '90s era plot that won't resonate with fans accustomed to a quicker pace. It takes three initial episodes to set everything up: teenage protagonist Garrod Ran meets the mysterious, childlike Tiffa Adill, gets hired to “rescue” her from a salvage ship captained by Newtype Jamil Neate, and eventually decides not only to disobey his shady employer, but to join the ship as a pilot himself. Had it been made in 2016, the first three episodes would have been compressed into one. The real story begins when Tiffa and Garrod join the Freeden crew and begin assisting the team with its overarching mission to seek out Newtypes all over Earth, a quest that gives the plot a Star Trek feel—a constant panorama of new places and temporary allies and antagonists—with the slate wiping clean again after every arc.

See, I actually liked that first arc - they got you in and going pretty quick and hit the ground running.

It was after that the show kind of started to meander to me and feel like it was just sort of puttering around trying to decide what to do with itself.

>>14301400
There's a big difference between 0079 and GX though - 0079 was new and untested at the time. It was a whole new brand, so it's not as surprising to hear it didn't do a well.
GX, meanwhile, is a legacy kid. By the time it came to the scene, Gundam was a household name and pushing 20. For that to do badly bodes worse than it did for the still proving itself MSG.
>>
>>14301334
>animenewsnetwork
sage
>>
>>14301429
Normally not one to defend ANN, but isn't that sort of missing the point of the excerpt?
Tiffa's lack of response isn't the problem for the reviewer, it's the lackluster design of the quarters - her response is used more as a crack on the room design than a comment on her character.
>>
>>14301334
She didn't even watch the show, did she?
>>
File: vlcsnap-2014-09-05-20h27m46s73.png (222 KB, 640x480) Image search: [Google]
vlcsnap-2014-09-05-20h27m46s73.png
222 KB, 640x480
>>14301334
Gundam X is the best 90's Gundam.
>>
>>14301728
What? Watch old anime? Why bother? Just make some shit up from a wiki - typical ANN reviewer
>>
File: 1454827889124.jpg (88 KB, 960x720) Image search: [Google]
1454827889124.jpg
88 KB, 960x720
Idiots need to stop picking Gundam X!

I'm going to give you an object analysis as someone who has never watched Gundam X but is familiar with its circumstances.

Gundam X is a victim of programming. Much like countless other cancelled shows with dedicated fanbases, it has nothing to do with quality.

Gundam X was the final nail in the coffin of 80s and 90s Gundam market saturation.

Gundam Wing was the beginning of the decline, with its ratings dropping to 1.8% and an average 4.3%. In comparison, Gundam X also had an average rating of 4.3%. For ANN to say that Gundam Wing was more successful is simply misleading and dangerously disingenuous.

When ratings were not increasing for Gundam X after the commercial blunder of Gundam Wing, it was decided that Gundam X be moved to a 6 A.M. Saturday timeslot leaving Gundam X to end with an average viewership rating of 2.75% due to its highly unfavorable timeslot.

Remember, this decision was not because of Gundam X's performance alone, but a combination of failing performance from previous TV Gundam series before Gundam X. Essentially, Gundam AU had failed in terms of ratings and merchandise by the time Gundam X even began airing.

Following Gundam X, which was cut short, Sunrise desperately brought back Tomino and created Turn A. This Gundam series performed just as poorly, with average ratings of 2.99% despite a superior timeslot and a more prominent director.

However, Gundam experienced a renaissance with Gundam SEED with ratings averaging at 6.12%! SEED Destiny performed well, but slightly worse, at 5.41%. And guess what? Every Gundam TV series since then has dropped in ratings up until today.
>>
>>14301749
Japan didn't think so.
>>
>sea of clunky suits
Wow! I need to rethink my opinion of ANN!

It's very nice of them to offer opportunities for the chemically lobotomized to get ahead.
>>
>>14301765
>the commercial blunder of Gundam Wing
Then why did it get an OVA/Movie sequel if it really was a commercial failure?
>>
>>14301766
Japan also loves SEED Destiny, so.
>>
File: 1403333741908.jpg (250 KB, 993x1438) Image search: [Google]
1403333741908.jpg
250 KB, 993x1438
>>14301765
Continued

So what's the common link? Are TV ratings an indication of a Gundam show's quality? No. Not in the slightest.

What it comes down to, what it has always come down to, is Gunpla potential. Series in the UC and AU series like SEED performed incredibly well because of the designs that went into them. Popular Gunpla designs literally sell a show. The common thread between Gundam TV series that have not performed well have been time and design.

Gundam X was a victim of AU overexposure and poor Gunpla potential. The quality of the show had absolutely nothing to do with it.

Similarly, a series like Turn A Gundam that was given great animation, a well known director, an amazing soundtrack and quality story was met with complete derision. Why? Because of the non-Gundam-like mechanical designs. The Gunpla potential simply was not there. Then came along SEED and SEED Destiny. These shows rehashed UC Gundam designs and became an instant classic despite its many narrative flaws.

This leads us to ANN. These hacks come in with a self fulfilling prophecy. They knew what Gundam X was in terms of ratings - a failure. Therefore, their entire review is tainted with that sentiment and lacks objective focus when examining the show for what it is. Let me remind you, I have never watched Gundam X. I don't know if it's bad or if it's good. But what I can tell you is the hard truth: any Gundam series that does not have the nebulous Gunpla potential is destined for failure, regardless of its quality. Likewise, strong Gunpla potential will turn even the poorest Gundam series into an instant hit.

Thank you and good night. CHESTO!
>>
File: latest[1].jpg (560 KB, 1014x1024) Image search: [Google]
latest[1].jpg
560 KB, 1014x1024
>>14301749
It can't stand up to the Victory.
>>
>>14301776
So much for the """""master"""""" race
>>
>>14301774
I can't tell you, but I can tell you that its ratings were poor. However, Gundam Wing was made at the end of the OVA boom so it was not very special for it to get a single episode OVA. However, Gundam X and beyond were made after the OVA boom. This most likely has something to do with it, grasshopper.
>>
>>14301765
Honestly, I feel like this oversimplifies parts of the situation.

GX wasn't just a victim of bad ratings, even the gunpla weren't exactly flying - and let's face it, a Gundam show that can't move plastic is generally a show that's on borrowed time (unless you're Turn A where they gave it special treatment because 'Hey guys, we got the original creator back for the 20th anniversary' and they really ate their hats on that one.)

Granted, there's circumstances behind that as well - besides the overall lackluster quality of the NGs, the overall design resemblance to suits from the Gundam series that literally just went off before this one started probably didn't have Japanese fans thinking 'I want this in plastic' so much as 'Well, that's just fucking lazy.'

GX's failure is due to a number of things - not all of them are X's fault, but it's not completely without fault in its own downfall here.
>>
>>14301783
Dude, it got 3 eps OVA, which were then lumped together for a theatrical release at the end.

You don't really know your Gundam Wing
>>
>>14301334
>Gundam X has never been highly regarded
It's been increasingly vindicated in recent years.
>>
>>14301785
I might be wrong about the episode count, but honestly that doesn't matter one bit. Don't get mad, anon!

Anyway, here's a ratings list. As you can see, it directly correlates with Gunpla potential. SD Gundam in particular, which created a very strong and lasting Gunpla line, has outstanding ratings

■ガンダムシリーズ平均視聴率■
*5.32% 1979 機動戦士ガンダム
13.12% 1981 機動戦士ガンダム 再放送(2月)
17.85% 1981 機動戦士ガンダム 再放送(11月)
19.40% 1982 機動戦士ガンダム 再放送(3回目)
13.93% 1983 機動戦士ガンダム 再放送(4回目)
*8.60% 1984 機動戦士ガンダム 再放送(5回目)
*6.60% 1985 機動戦士aガンダム
*6.12% 1986 機動戦士ガンダムaa
*3.89% 1993 機動戦士Vガンダム
*8.06% 1993 ガンバレ!SDガンダム大行進
*4.11% 1994 機動武闘伝Gガンダム
*4.25% 1995 新機動戦記ガンダムW
*2.75% 1996 機動新世紀ガンダムX (前半*3.51% 後半*1.21%)
*2.99% 1999 ∀ガンダム
*3.10% 2000 G-SAVIOUR
*6.12% 2002 機動戦士ガンダムSEED
*2.09% 2004 SDガンダムフォース
*5.41% 2004 機動戦士ガンダムSEED DESTINY
*4.84% 2007 機動戦士ガンダムOO
*4.47% 2008 機動戦士ガンダムOO 2nd season
*2.05% 2010 SDガンダム三国伝 BraveBattleWarriors
*2.56% 2011 機動戦士ガンダムAGE
*1.55% 2013 ガンダムビルドファイターズ (第1~8話までの平均)

Don't try to tell me that SD Gundam was some sort of narrative masterpiece. It's a perfect example of Gunpla potential = ratings.
>>
>>14301776
So do I, it's my favorite entry
>>
>ITT /m/ criticizes other places for having opinions on a series they didn't bother to watch/pay attention to

TheIroningIsDelicious.jpg
>>
>>14301790
>OO
triggered
>>
>>14301795
No, /m/ criticizes terrible reporting which ANN has made a habitual practice. Gaming journalism isn't the only reporting industry that is pure shit.
>>
>>14301799
You must be new to Japanese. 残念!!
>>
>>14301776
The intended audience of a show likes it.
Surprise surprise.
>>
>>14301790
Let me help you out a little. I saved a variant on that list a while back.
*6.60% 1985 Mobile Suit Zeta Gundam
*6.12% 1986 Mobile Suit Gundam ZZ (*6.1276%)
*6.12% 2002 Mobile Suit Gundam SEED (*6.1240%)
*5.41% 2004 Mobile Suit Gundam SEED Destiny
*5.32% 1979 Mobile Suit Gundam
*4.84% 2007 Mobile Suit Gundam 00
*4.47% 2008 Mobile Suit Gundam 00 2nd season
*4.25% 1995 New Mobile Report Gundam W
*4.11% 1994 Mobile Fighter G Gundam
*3.89% 1993 Mobile Suit Victory Gundam
*3.10% 2000 G-SAVIOUR
*2.99% 1999 Turn-A Gundam
*2.75% 1996 After War Gundam X (Original timeslot *3.51%, changed timeslot *1.21%)
*2.56% 2011 Mobile Suit Gundam AGE (First Generation *3.22%, Second Generation, *2.33% Third Generation, *2.25% Combined Generation 2.23%)
*2.50% 2015 Mobile Suit Gundam Iron-Blooded Orphans (up to episode 14)
*2.09% 2004 SD Gundam Force
*2.05% 2010 SD Gundam Legend of the Three Kingdoms Brave Battle Warriors
*1.80% 2014 Gundam Reconguista in G
*1.64% 2013 Gundam Build Fighters
*1.42% 2014 Gundam Build Fighters Try

>>14301794
Eh, I like it myself, but I wouldn't go that far. I'd give it a B-.
>>
>>14301790
Where is GBF/Try?
>>
File: 1184426689367.jpg (30 KB, 275x339) Image search: [Google]
1184426689367.jpg
30 KB, 275x339
>yfw Gundam is literally a toy commercial and nothing more
>yfw the story has nothing to do with a Gundam series' success
No wonder Tomino snapped
>>
>>14301821
>>yfw the story has nothing to do with a Gundam series' success

It certainly explains why fucking Zeta of all series seems to be popular - lots and lots of toy designs
>>
>>14301765
>>14301777
>Translation: I am butthurt that prominent anime site doesn't share my opinions of a show so I am going to armchair analyst in attempt to look more intelligent and prove them why they are WRONG.
>>
>>14301334
Why does it read as "it's unpopular so it has to be no good"?

>antagonist sentient dolphin
I've nothing else to say, it's really no surprise that ANN doesn't like Reconguista with such overwhelming level of ADHD.
>>
>>14301487
But a lot of people actually think it has no ending.
>>
>>14301777
>Similarly, a series like Turn A Gundam that was given great animation, a well known director, an amazing soundtrack and quality story was met with complete derision.

But ANN gave Turn A a good review:
http://www.animenewsnetwork.com/review/turn-a-gundam/sub.dvd-part-1/.90437
http://www.animenewsnetwork.com/review/turn-a-gundam/dvd-part-2/.93021

So your theory is full of shit.
>>
>>14301487
>The final episodes
You mean the final quarter of the series?
>>
>>14301394
>It's a "Japanese audiences didn't like it, so no one else ever will either."
Fucking retards, all of them.
>>
>>14301765
X averaged 3.51% in it's original timeslot, lower than Victory (3.89%), G (4.11%) or Wing (4.25%).

>>14301784
I think there was one other factor to X's failure people don't realize. The month before X debuted, another mecha series ended. A mecha series that changed the industry according to Sunrise staff during G-Reco, making it so that the show itself was a viable product beyond the merchandise. A show casual anime audiences go on and on about how it deconstructed the genre, and became a cashcow for the studio. Hell, Gaogaigar was supposedly made in response to this show, to argue against it yet ended up being the last Braves series.

Evangelion ended just before Gundam X started, and Gundam X is just a UC-fanfic. Is it any wonder people weren't interested?
>>
File: Literally you.jpg (43 KB, 514x536) Image search: [Google]
Literally you.jpg
43 KB, 514x536
>>14301765
>>14301777
>>
File: 1463935722614.gif (2 MB, 286x202) Image search: [Google]
1463935722614.gif
2 MB, 286x202
>Modern colloquial English in the subtitles

They better not have shit like "bromance" here, or god forbid "people die when they are killed."

Subs better be fucking worth the dough or fansubs stay.
>>
>>14301844
>Deconstruction
You keep using that word.
>>
>>14301801
You seem to have misread me. To be expected, I will concede the wording was a little ambiguous in hindsight.
I'm saying /m/ is giving ANN shit for this, with a specific complaint saying ANN never bothered to watch the show themselves.

You know, sort of like what happens with a lot of the shitposting here.

Hence the ironing.
>>
>>14301850
But he didn't.
>>
File: IBORATINGS.png (27 KB, 600x463) Image search: [Google]
IBORATINGS.png
27 KB, 600x463
>>14301807

Just for the record, IBO only managed 2.25% at the end. I can't wait for ANN to do a piece on why it was such a big success.

>>14301776
Not really. It didn't move Gunpla and Bandai focuses more on milking the first SEED over it. The story has been dissected at great length and Fukuda has spent the last decade defending it over twitter.

It was popular with teenage girls, but with 00 Bandai's fucking president said they were focusing on getting teenage boys back into the franchise.
>>
>>14301837
What does ANN have to do with Turn A's ratings in Japan? Are you touched?
>>
>>14301837
Yeah, like a clickbait site is really going to make a negative review on a well known popular series. Turn A is always one of the first recommendations for people wanting to get into gundam. They'd have been eaten alive for panning that.
>>
>>14301864
>Turn A Gundam
>well known
>popular

You don't really travel in many circles of the anime fandom outside of /m/, do you?
>>
>>14301864
>Turn A
>well known popular series
>always one of the first recommendations
You're fucking with me.
>>
File: 1462633101398.jpg (67 KB, 485x700) Image search: [Google]
1462633101398.jpg
67 KB, 485x700
>there are people right now in this thread that know squat about the Gundam franchise
>>
>>14301847
>or fansubs stay.
I recall they were done by Central Anime, and I'm fairly certain they're one of the most consistent old school fansubbing groups, almost semi-professional. They're going to be as good as it gets.

I find it's a toss-up.
When a show is licensed and subbed or dubbed by Funimation, and whichever one did X, they tend to have really shitty modern colloquialisms and references in them.
On the other hand, fansub groups like Commie, Manko and sometimes gg are guilty of the exact same thing.

But then you have Crunchyroll, Daisuki, and then whichever company did Zeta Gundam, who regularly keep their translations colloquial-free, but with the occasional awkwardly phrased or translated sentence. And then the same goes for other fansubbing groups.

In the end, the quality of subtitles for us voracious consumers are just based off of luck. Either a good group does it, be it fan or "official", or a bad one does.
>>
>>14301889
Central Anime yea, they were very good. You could just download and watch with no worries.

So it's like this, I have the two sets on my wishlist, I wont forget them but I wont buy until I find some first-hand accounts or comparisons, things like that. Too risky these days even for a miracle release like X...
>>
>>14301889
Yeah, those Kamigami Unicorn subs made me switch to the dub during the last 3 episodes. The broken english drove me crazy.
>>
>>14301889
>sometimes gg
The only thing that separates gg from groups like Commie is that gg OWNS being memeing fucks.
>>
>>14301900
>The only thing that separates gg from groups like Commie is that gg OWNS being memeing fucks.

Now that you mention itWho was the joker responsible for Trans-Graham, was it gg or some other group that's probably disbanded?
>>
>>14301908
Likely gg.
Memory serves, I think they were also the ones that put 'Come at me, bros!' in Gundam AGE.

And for an older example, which group was it that put that fucking obnoxious emoticon into Heroic Age?
>>
>>14301826
Hey butthead, Anon says he hasn't even seen X
>>
>>14301572
If I recall correctly, ANN also ranked Kill Me Baby's animation as better than Fate/ Zero's, and also called the Asuka vs. MP Evas fight "obviously rotoscoped."

I'm glad they aren't called Anime Reviews Network.
>>
>>14301847
Haven't watched the entire first set yet, but most it though. Haven't seen anything like that pop up so far.
>>
>>14301480
This. I don't know why networks think something will ever get better ratings at that timeslot.
>>
File: 1464673955631.jpg (78 KB, 544x416) Image search: [Google]
1464673955631.jpg
78 KB, 544x416
>>14302021
Just honest-to-god English subs without anything that stands out as weird?
>>
>>14301765
>Gundam Wing was the beginning of the decline, with its ratings dropping to 1.8% and an average 4.3%. In comparison, Gundam X also had an average rating of 4.3%. For ANN to say that Gundam Wing was more successful is simply misleading and dangerously disingenuous.

Except it was. Ratings apparently mean nothing when it has the most model sales next to UC and has remained extremely popular over time.
>>
>>14301777
>Series in the UC and AU series like SEED performed incredibly well
Strike Freedom is basically the only Destiny model that could move units
>>
File: insufficient proofs.jpg (33 KB, 640x389) Image search: [Google]
insufficient proofs.jpg
33 KB, 640x389
>>14302036
>>
>>14302042

Just because the people it's popular with are fujoshi doesn't mean Wing isn't popular.
>>
>>14302033
I think so? Been watching it alongside the ZZ and Turn A sets. Can't say any of them have stuck out as having odd or misplaced dialogue up to the points I've watched.
>>
File: cisscum.jpg (23 KB, 494x376) Image search: [Google]
cisscum.jpg
23 KB, 494x376
I wanna know how they'll translate Pala's name so that we finally have an official translation for her name.
>>
>>14302047
Oh and fwiw I haven't seen any of these series before now. So I can't compare to any fansubbed versions.
>>
>>14301384
Only animated series without a single MG too i think.
>>
>>14302030
At that point, it's more than likely they expected whatever took X's place to pull in bigger ratings and Saturday, rather than being a ratings booster, was just a place to drop off GX to run out the rest of its episodes.
>>
>>14302056
>a place to drop off GX to run out the rest of its episodes.

Think how shit the makers must have felt. I for one think they did a good job, despite the big cuts and fast pace at the end.
>>
>>14302049
It was supposed to be Para Lysis, wasn't it?
>>
>>14302052
Considering it has two, and I own one, you're wrong.
>>
>>14302067
Simbly eric.

Bravo, Kojima.
>>
>>14302064
Especially considering the director Takamatsu had just come fresh off of Goldran. Must have been exhausting to keep up the output.
>>
>>14302049
>we will never get more of best X girl being sexy
>we will never get more G-Falcon combining with every other Gundam
>we will never get fun adventures with Garrod and Paula

That would have easily made X's second half so much better.
>>
>>14302049
It's definitely not Paula since that would be ポーラ (for example, ポール is Paul).
Here name is パーラ, which is similar to パール (Pearl). Pala is probably the most correct transliteration.
>>
>>14302052
The GX and the DX both have MGs.
>>
>>14302076
We'll never G-Falcon combine with Leopard and Airmaster in action. We'll never see G-Falcon combine with X at all.
>>
>>14302081

If it means anything, the word for her name seems to also be used for the Cinderalla mouse Perla, if Twitter is anything to go by.
>>
>>14302064
I remember Fukuda mocking X after SEED. Funny how X's reception has improved since then while Fukuda's career is in the toilet.

As for the production crew, they did the best they could in a bad time. Evangelion, Gundam fatigue, plus this was the same time Gundam's buddy program Super Sentai was going through a rough patch. Kudos to them for making something pretty good but not amazing in such an environment.
>>
>>14302091
>Funny how X's reception has improved since then while Fukuda's career is in the toilet.

Semi-on this note - how big a role would we say Banpresto and their getting GX in on things like ACE and SRW has had in getting the series back on the up and up?
Cause it does seem like that got the unit out there again.
>>
>>14302090
>If it means anything, the word for her name seems to also be used for the Cinderalla mouse Perla, if Twitter is anything to go by.

That actually makes perfect sense given the katakana. Pala is actually an imperfect transliteration because it doesn't take into account the ー portion of the name. That clinches, her name is Pearla.

Show's over, everybody go home and fap.
>>
>>14302091
>Funny how X's reception has improved since then while Fukuda's career is in the toilet.
That's because they at least tried, he just fucked up everything in Destiny. He had another chance with Cross Ange and he did the same shit.
>>
>>14302101
Cross Ange is a miracle of the universe.
>>
>>14302099
Ill never understand shy they gave her the second best bounce in the game but im glad they did. Too bad they fucked up with her in the sequels.
>>
>>14302091
Gundam fatigue is a myth. Wing was the third series in a row and one of the most popular ever. X came after it and flopped. Wing went head to head with Eva and still came out that well.

X just wasn't well received.
>>
>>14302091
Tomino didn't like X either just so you know.
>>
>>14302196
Tomino didn't like his own Victory Gundam either, he have shit taste.
>>
>>14302196
Link? Never heard about him commenting about X before.
>>
>>14302196
Well, it's a claim about Tomino on /m/, ergo I must ask for a source on that one.
>>
>>14302209
Wasn't there a interview he gave during G-Reco's airing where he said that he thought all the Gundam series not made by him were trash?
>>
>>14302215
He also said that he thought all the Gundam series made by him were trash.
>>
>>14302215
He thinks all Gundam is trash and that adults shouldn't watch them.
>>
>>14302192
>Gundam fatigue is a myth.

According to the Japanese wikipedia, Gundam's ratings in the 90 had been considered low from the start. The series started losing sponsors since Victory, and although Wing's ratings rose above that, they weren't big enough to change that view, and X dropping right afterwards pretty much sealed its fate. Note that Wing itself goes through a staff change midway through related to that situation.

So, it's not like it was consistently dropping, but it was a situation that was apparently unsustainable unless they could get another show that was a Wing level success or above.
>>
File: 1454545437815.jpg (388 KB, 1200x1220) Image search: [Google]
1454545437815.jpg
388 KB, 1200x1220
>>14302042
W is well regarded, that's why it's the one that gets all the spinoffs: the movie, the novel, the manga including one that's running right now 20 years later. Meanwhile X only survives through Neptunia.
>>
>>14302258
>Meanwhile X only survives through Neptunia.
What
>>
>>14301837
Your reading comprehension is complete shit. Anon's entire fucking point was that the reviewer on ANN had a totally biased mindset against Gundam X because they assumed it was cut short due to the show's quality and not because Bandai figured it wouldn't help push any gunpla sales. Posting a positive review of Turn A a show that had a full 50 episode run doesn't prove them wrong if anything it further supports their argument.
>>
File: Older_Brother.png (1 MB, 968x550) Image search: [Google]
Older_Brother.png
1 MB, 968x550
>>14302268
They reference it more than anything else in a game made entirely of references. The frost bros are even main antagonists in the first just with Category F changed to refer to big tits instead.
>>
>>14302258
What the hell am I looking at?
>>
>>14302290
I don't think even Banco's executives are dicksh enough to cut Tomino's show short.
>>
>>14302052
Thus far IBO and G-Reco are the only animated shows without an MG.
>>
>>14301881
Internet discussions are 50-80% partially informed opinions and most of those opinions are people parroting people who actually do know what they're talking about.
>>
>>14302347
They're also the most recent Gundam shows. GIve them time. MGs don't just shit themselves out.
>>
>>14302772
just wait until 2079
>>
>>14302782
>tfw going to be dead before we hit glorious '79 again

Born too late for the 1970s
Born too early for the 2070s
>>
>>14302798
Don't worry, you'll live into your 90s, if not your 100s. Just adpot a diet of plastic runners and GN particles.
>>
>>14302137
>Ill never understand shy they gave her the second best bounce in the game

Have you SEEN that titty game?
>>
>>14302192
Wing sold merchandise but didn't substantially improve the ratings. That was a time when ratings still mattered.

It stil got a slighty higher average than it's predecessor, if I recall correctly, but it's likely from a few audience peaks. If looked as a whole Gundam ratings were dropping since Victory. So there is some ground to make an argument of Gundam fatigue. It's not the sole responsible for X failure, lackluster and rehashed Gundam designs hurt it's Gunpla selling potential.
>>
>>14302294

Aren't they actually voiced by the Frost Bros. seiyuu too?
>>
>>14302294
I loved Azna-Leb in V2. His JP VA wasn't Ikeda, but he tried to emulate the way he voices Char.

Meanwhile, they got Full Frontal's English VA for the dub.
>>
>>14302849
>That was a time when ratings still mattered.

This. It took Toei like 30 fucking years to realize you can make a shitton of cash off of Kamen Rider toys.
>>
>>14302192
>Wing was the third series in a row and one of the most popular ever

No it wasn't.
See >>14301807
And if you want to say it sold a lot of merchandise, then feel free to post the data.
>>
File: turn_a_gundam.jpg (82 KB, 437x620) Image search: [Google]
turn_a_gundam.jpg
82 KB, 437x620
>>14301837

Not quite related to the topic overall, but the author of that review also put up a set of notes he took while watching the show, which I think works better to really gauge how he felt as the show went on (If it's obviously spoilery). Here's the two parts below:

http://wrongeverytime.com/2015/07/16/turn-a-gundam-part-one-review/
http://wrongeverytime.com/2015/09/21/turn-a-gundam-part-two-review/
>>
>>14302887
>No it wasn't.
>See >>14301807
>And if you want to say it sold a lot of merchandise, then feel free to post the data.

How do those ratings say it wasn't one of the most popular? Over half the series got lower ratings than it.

It's also one of the highest selling Gundam series when it comes to discs at 3rd in the pre 2000 series behind the original and Zeta.

http://www.someanithing.com/312

Adding in the post 2000 series you only have Seed, Destiny and 00 to top it. So it's 6th best selling not counting OVA. Then you have the fact that unlike 00 Wing actually releases merchandise for all the units. 00 only releases merchandise for Setsuna's units.
>>
>>14304549
Wing only out-rated 9 series and was outperformed by 13 other series
as shown by >>14301790
That means it was not one of the most popular ever, but rather an average performing Gundam series. It was, however, one of the best performing of the 90s era. This is most likely because of its breakneck demographic shift towards fujoshi. However, its performance was only about half as good as SD Gundam and only better than G Gundam by .14%.
>>
>>14302843
I did, but it was weird that hers was better than Ennils and that other bustier chicks either didn't get a very pronounced bounce or didnt get a cut-in.
>>
>>14304566
Wing outsold nearly every series. Including most of those you claim got better ratings. G Gundam doesn't even get merchandise these days. Wing does. G has like 2 MG while Wing has over a dozen. G has 5 RD while Wing has over a dozen. There is no comparison with Wing and most Gundam series. It blew them away. it got the OVA sequel while nearly every other Gundam series got notion but compilation movies. You can't base popularity solely on ratings without taking into context the time slot and competition.

You have zero proof that Wing had a huge demographic shift towards Fujoshi. We do have proof that happened with Seed though and is the reason it performed so great with discs but Bandai felt Destiny specifically was underperforming with Gunpla. It's also the reason we didn't get another Seed series. Because the fanbase didn't buy Gunpla.
>>
how are the subs quality on the Turn A and X releases?
>>
>>14304632
The original discussion was about ratings. Stop trying to move goalposts, wing fanboy.
>>
They claim "Lauren" is their resident Gundam expert yet she cites the wiki and knows nothing of the franchise. Hah
>>
>>14304688
Post you quoted talked sales too, retard. Glad to see there is no counter argument.
>>
>>14304777
>平均視聴率
>sales
Dumb!
>>
>>14304632
>There is no comparison with Wing and most Gundam series. It blew them away. it got the OVA sequel while nearly every other Gundam series got notion but compilation movies.
Its kind of a shame that Wing hasn't /also/ gotten compilation movies. A trio of them could cut a lot of fat and make it more watchable overall. Throw in an EW hook like mention Treize has a fucking daughter and whatnot, and it'll be all good.
>>
>>14304794
Are you actually following the discussion?
>>14304549
Talks about sales.

>>14304796
Wing did get compilation movies. It got compilation movies, a series of OVA and a movie from the OVA.
>>
>>14304632
>zero proof that Wing had a huge demographic shift towards Fujoshi

The shit you read on this board sometimes
>>
>>14304806
>Are you actually following the discussion?
>>14304549
>Talks about sales.
Just because you went off topic earlier doesn't mean you didn't go off topic. Double dumb!
>>
>>14304806
It did?

>looks shit up
>never released overseas
>never brought up on /m/
Well I'll be. I need to increase my Gundam power level.
>>
>>14304815
Gunpla sales have been brought up numerous times in the thread.
>>14301777
So you haven't been following the discussion
>>
>>14304810
You do know that there are pictures of Kamille in his underwear, right? Gundam has always had crap like that.
>>
>>14304832
Yeah, there are torrents online for the Operation Meteor OVAs (so technically it didn't get compilation movies, but OVAs) but I don't think there are any proper subs for them
>>
>>14304843
MSG basically started with Amuro in his underwear. Franchise has been fujobait since day one.
>>
>>14301889
So what would you prefer, good subs that have colloquialisms or broken English subs?

I'd take the latter as long as they don't go full crabstick or duwang. Hell, even with duwang I eventually fell into a rhythm where things started making sense once I got used to it.

I was like a dream, in that it makes sense when you're in it, but the moment you wake up you wonder "what the fuck was happening"
>>
>>14304840
The topic was gunpla potential relating to tv ratings. Stop trying to veer off course, wing fanboy. You haven't been following the discussion.
>>
>>14304883
I thought the discussion was the ANN fucking blows. Guess we've moved past that?
>>
>>14304883
The discussion has evolved to adding multiple topics including X having poor quality Gunpla that didn't sale and rehashed designs.
>>
>>14304894
>evolved
>trying to smokescreen moving the goalpost when you got mad about someone pointing out Wing being part of Gundam's ratings declining
e__n
>>
>>14304901
>Wing apart of the ratings decline
>Actually rose over the last few series before it
>Got an OVA series
>Emoticons
>>
>>14304916
>Actually rose over the last few series before it
Misleading. It did markedly better than V. Did worse than SD Gundam and only edged out G by .12%. All other Gundams before it did way better.

>Got an OVA series
In a time where Gundam OVAs were common and they were 99% UC OVAs.

E**n
>>
>>14304855
I agree. With really broken English I can fill in the gaps and make quick corrections in my head while reading, and I get used to it in most cases. An example being Space Knight Tekkaman, the first series. The first 10 or so episodes were picked up and subbed by Anime-Sols, but the subtitles for rest of the series were ridiculously nonsensical crabsticks tier translations. Humorous at times, but it started making sense when I got used to it.

With colloquialisms I can't do that. It annoys me because I do know some degree of Japanese after years of anime, and if the meaning translation is correct but the wording is way off than I would have written myself, it breaks my immersion.
The same goes for if something has no colloquialisms or memetics, and the English is fine, but not great grammatically or just how the translation is presented. I can't help but think of ways I would have written the line, and it takes me right out of the series.
>>
>>14304930
>Misleading. It did markedly better than V. Did worse than SD Gundam and only edged out G by .12%. All other Gundams before it did way better.

You don't even know what that SD Gundam series was.

>In a time where Gundam OVAs were common and they were 99% UC OVAs.

Then where's the X OVA? The G OVA? The OVA that Gundam series were getting back then were side stories. Not sequels. Wing got a sequel. The fact that it, an AU got an OVA when only UC shows were getting them says a whole lot.

>Only .12%

That .12% must have meant a lot since it got the sequel while G barely gets anything.
>>
>>14304940
The thing with colloquialisms is that even years after the fad has passed, I'll still remember it. And odds are if I found it funny when it still in vogue, I won't when I go back to watch it.

Colloquialisms just date the end product. Like how ten years from now, people will hear or read Funimation's lines "more guns than Sarah Palin" or "Gamergater creeps" and wonder what the fuck do they mean.

You'd expect a professional company wouldn't do shit like that.
>>
We need some direct A-B comparisons; Central Anime vs. this release.
>>
>>14304628

Hey, Ennil was the first character in SRW to get titty bounce.
>>
Anything opinion-based from ANN is literally almost always a guide on how to have shit taste.

Kind of like those "new shows of the season" previews they always do where they 1/5 everything for being unoriginal or fanservice laden while shilling whatever Funimation wants them to.
>>
>>14304628
Maybe Paula's was better in Z since Ennil had bounce in AG, and while Paula didn't get a cut-in in that game.
>>
Considering ANN is a joke of a website full of click bait and contributors that seem to have just been hired at random or who are friends of Zac Bertschy on top of just favoring whoever gives them the most ad money I can't see why people would care much what they have to say about anything. They have maybe one contributor who is even kind of worth taking at all at face value nd who doesn't seem like he's just doing commumity PR for the highest bidder in Theron Martin who doesn't really write much anymore.
>>
>>14305742
>I can't see why people would care much what they have to say about anything.
Because the site has enough recognition that their amateurish articles poison the anime/manga fandom.
>>
>>14305763
Truth. Even if they give a two sentence yay or nay on a series, that's enough for the reception section of the wikipedia article.
>>
>>14301487
That was the original planned ending. They knew way ahead of time that they were gettng trmmed and skipped the rest of the worldbuilding they had planned and started into the fconclusion arc.. The skip happens at "THE NEW FEDERATION IS ALREADY IN SPACE?!".
>>
>>14304632
>it got the OVA sequel
So what?
SEED got a full 50 episode series sequel.
00 got a theatrical movie sequel.
AGE got an OVA.
Mobile Suit Gundam got two 50-episode series sequels (one of which got an OVA prequel), a movie sequel, AND and OVA *series* sequel. Oh, and enough side-stories to choke a Xamel. And one more sequel series if you count Turn A.
Even Build Fighters got a sequel series.
The only Gundam shows that got less of a follow-up than Wing were X and G.
>>
Is the new DVD footage remastered?
>>
>>14306349
Yeah, it's clear that they had planned a final Earth arc before going back to space, which is what gets skipped.

That Gundam X Hyper Guide even hypes up the Leopard Destroy + G-Falcon combo as an upcoming upgrade in the show with a "mysterious" silhouette there.

I think the big problem with skipping that arc is that in the final anime we basically learn no reason to explain why the Frost's team sides with them after they betray the Federation (according to official information, the Frost's personal team are the only ones that got the Neo Daughtress, which can be seen in the series by how they only appear around them).

The lack of characters aside from faceless pilots siding with them just make them look crazy, when it's clear that there should be some plan there considering how they've got people with them.
>>
>>14305338
I'd like to know this as well. I've heard generally decent things so far though, so I'm going to pick up the R1 release. Can always keep CA releases on my PC, it's not like they go away.

how were the turn a subs?
>>
>>ANN

>>In an alternate universe where the fallout of World War II led to a global split that left East Germany and West Germany in charge of the entire left and right hemispheres of the earth, the real war is only just beginning!
>>In 1967, the space race resulted in contact with the hostile BETA aliens hiding out on the moon, and their assault on a world too freshly divided turned the earth into a frozen hell!
>>Now specialized squadrons from East Germany, otherwise known as the German Democratic Republic, are dispatched to try and clean up the battlefields with mech-driven heavy artillery, the Robotic Assault Drones, RAD!
>>The 666th squadron, known as the BLACK REAPERS, are the strongest in the corp, but their integrity may be under threat of compromise thanks to infiltration by the evil Stazis, who want to turn the war into a vehicle for East Germany's supremacy.
>>Captain Theodore "Teddie" Ableback, fearful of such an outcome, begrudgingly enlists the help of West German transplant Kate Wallham to turn the tide of this global disaster and save the Earth from the alien threat!
>>
>>14308340
>I initially approached Schwarzesmarken with trepidation. I've heard mixed reviews of its predecessor, Muv-Luv Alternative (of which Schwarzesmarken serves as a prequel), and its setting in East Germany raised red flags that this could easily be more conservative propaganda masquerading as a military otaku harem show.

>The unit is where the anime takes its name which is the German word for “666.” This sort of “scary” Christian imagery will seem tired to Westerners where every B-level horror film about demon possession has invoked 666 at one point or another. That said, I can't help but associate military units and vague religious icons with Nazism, especially ones shown committing mass executions. Schwarzesmarken is just toeing the line
>>
>>14308340
>>14308353
I hate when people are so thin-skinned about fiction.
>OH MY GOD THE NATTIES I HAET THIS
>>
>>14308353
>conservative propaganda
Western conservatism has fucking nothing to do with anime, holy shit.
>>
>>14308394
I think she meant Japanese conservatism, although I'm sure she meant right-wing or hardliner rather than conservative. Like the "ayy nazis dindu nothin wrong, imperial Japan was right" kind of thing. Which is retarded, just in a different way.
>>
>>14308410
I can't wait for Muv-Luv's western release to see people's reactions to the rampant Japanese nationalism inherent to the series.
>>
>>14308415
It's not rare thing these days. Wasn't that JSDF anime fairly popular?
>>
>>14308390
>make show about literal commies
>"NAZIS!!!"
Retardation is a disease
>>
>ANN disliking pre-Seed Gundam
>http://www.animenewsnetwork.com/review/gundam-movie-ii-dvd
>http://www.animenewsnetwork.com/review/gundam-movie-iii-dvd

I don't see how anyone that likes Gundam could take their reviews seriously. They've been fucking up Gundam reviews since the early 2000's.
>>
>>14308487
They were right about G-Reco though.
>>
>>14302099
>She was only playable in Z, then a sub, or not playable at all.

I fucking hate the Z series aft the first game.
>>
>>14302049
Diff anon here but can a brother with the first DVD set confirm this.
>>
>>14308850
Stick to A/Z
>>
>>14301840
Didn't X get a cult following in Japan? That's why it was heavily featured in SRW Z innit.
>>
>>14309479

She'll only appear in the second volume because the first one goes up to episode 19 (the one where Jamil's waifu dies).
>>
>>14309479
You don't need a DVD to confirm it. Her name is パーラ which is Pearla. パール is Pearl and ポール is Paul if you really want something to check against.
>>
>>14309487
Classic
>>
>>14301334
How tall is the gundam in that shot? Looks to be less than 10 meters.
>>
>>14309497
>Her name is パーラ which is Pearla
ジェラルド・パーラ(Gerardo Parra
デレック・パーラ(Derek Parra
ファクンド・パーラ(Facundo Manuel Carlos Parra,
ホセ・パーラ(Jose Miguel Parra
マヌエル・アレックス・パーラ(Manuel Alex Parra
ロレンソ・パーラ(Lorenzo Parra

:^)
:^)
Thread replies: 214
Thread images: 22

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.