[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Has /m/ seen this? Star Wars fighter combat with drones ht
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /m/ - Mecha

Thread replies: 18
Thread images: 1
File: X-WINGDisplay.jpg (344 KB, 1024x767) Image search: [Google]
X-WINGDisplay.jpg
344 KB, 1024x767
Has /m/ seen this?

Star Wars fighter combat with drones

https://youtu.be/2ZLrs9gX73M
>>
>>14299119

That's pretty cool, and seems like a good way to do practical effects on a tight budget really. The interior shots were great and if the model had more polish it'd probably be quite convincing.
>>
>>14299119
I want to see more of shit like this. I feel like you could do a sick WWI or WWII dogfighting movie this way.
>>
Man, no wonder TIEs have such a low survival rate. You can't see shit out of those viewports.
>>
>>14299119

This makes me think the future of effects is actually drones rather than computers. There's lots of things in this video reminding you that these are actually tiny ships which kind of ruins the effect.

Take some drones, put them in a room with green screen. Have them fly around some model of a space station, do some dog fighting. Add a space background.

There are parts of that video that look way better than any CGI shit I've seen in recent years.
>>
>>14300179

The things that ruin that videos effects are bringing things like trees and bridges in since it ruins the sense of scale. The model is low quality enough to ruin the immersion too, but that's fixable with a better budget. The shots of crashing units as they experience damage are fantastic. Even external shots of the unit "over the shoulder" and back at R2 are great, but would be better with more budget on the models.
>>
>>14299119
So Star Wars is real.
>>
>>14299272
Thats why they added gunner seat and a turret
>>
>>14299119
I would hope that the directors of the upcoming Star Wars movies would take notice of this and see how they could do some real good fighter scenes. This looks real because it is real. CG can never look this good.
>>
>>14300287
The scenes where they're flying through the trees near the end make me think the speeder bike chase from ROTJ could be done this way in real time. (The way they originally did it was to have a guy walk through the forest with a Steadicam and then speed the film up.)
>>
>>14303233
dude this looks like shit
>>
>>14309053

> droids all over the place
> two of the main characters from the original trilogy and the only ones to be in all 7 films are droids
> Empire uses loads of mech war-machines like AT-ATs
> Spaceships everywhere
> Somehow not /m/
>>
>>14306569
sure the cgi parts do. but thats a real xwing flying around. it looks better than the best cgi possible
>>
>>14306569
This particular instance does, but with a proper budget and the right people, you could get some really good shots.
>>
>>14300179
I dont think drones would be the way to do it, the way they fly is a bit strange and unlike how actual planes fly. Most people wont notice, but i think the people who will are the same who complain about CG.

Using RC airplanes might be possible, but you would need a bigass room to do that
>>
>>14306569
You look like shit.
>>
>>14309211
>unlike how actual planes fly

wouldn't this be a good thing? these are star fighters so they wouldn't be able to(or have to) rely on air resistance to maneuver in atmosphere, atleast to an extent a fixed wing aircraft does.
>>
>>14311017

Star Wars ships and most sci-fi ships fly like fucking air planes all the time.
Thread replies: 18
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.