[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Gundam TV animation
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /m/ - Mecha

Thread replies: 115
Thread images: 9
File: ppc4aqvvxacfwsuukiiy.gif (4 MB, 800x471) Image search: [Google]
ppc4aqvvxacfwsuukiiy.gif
4 MB, 800x471
Riddle me this /m/.

How did Gundam Build Fighters have better animation than Gundam Iron Blooded Orphans?

How did they manage to stay on model much more often?

https://youtu.be/BIOi14hOOHY?t=1129
>>
>>14298740
Actual comptent animators.

That's the whole reason Sunrise is reportedly changing animation directors for season 2.
>>
>>14298745
I hope this is the case.

What's even more terrible is the fact that IBO had less mecha to animate than GBF. Since GBF had a fight or 2 every episode and knew how to manage it's "people talking time" with "Mecha fighting time". Despite being a show geared towards much younger audiences than IBO.

I hope they fix it.
>>
>>14298740
staff was skilled and cared for their product in BF

opposite for IBO
>>
>>14298769
Mature anime viewers don't need action. They like political and slice of life drama.
>>
>>14298740
I think they poured a lot of money GBF, G-Reco, Origin and Thunderbolt.

When it came time for the new AU there wasn't much left.

Heres to hoping S2 changes that.
>>
>>14298740
Entirely depends on the staff and how much effort they put in. That is to say your staff has to understand how these things move and work based off storyboards on how the Director wants the scene to look.

Personally I think that despite banrise having a lot of faith in IBO with trying to market it and making so much merch of it the actual animators didnt have much to work with in the end so they just went with "good enough" rather than great.
>>
>>14298890
>>14298745
>Season 2
Wat
Are you guys talking about the upcoming OVA?
>>
>>14299044
Get ye from here
>>
>>14298890
Interesting idea, but given how IBO was presented, feels kind of weird.

GBF, Reco, and Thunderbolt are all the side projects. The things you angle for the side change.
IBO was the one they were angling to be the new big flagship of the brand with big promotion, more merchandise, and even a more concentrated push in the west.

That that would be the show they'd cheap out on doesn't really mesh with the overarcing business plan.
>>
>>14298890
Doesn't seem right considering the robust marketing push that IBO's had.
>>
>>14298773
>repeat everything i've read 2chan say already
>>
>>14298890
I think it's more like those shows had more money poured into their production and little in their marketing campaigns, while IBO was the exact opposite.
>>
>>14299117
Maybe Studio 3 is overworked they were juggling GBF, Try and IBO in a short amount of time.

Compare the 00 and IBO S2 announcement, 00 had a PV just after the last episode while IBO had a "so uhh S2 will be out by fall 2016" type of thing.

Makes me think they had nothing to show other than a sketch of the new Barbatos.
>>
IBO was a mistake
>>
>>14299044
No, not the Build Fighters OVA, the season 2 of IBO
>>
>>14298867
IBO feels too retarded for mature viewers.
>>
>>14299195
hurr durr
>>
>>14298867
> don't need action. They like political and slice of life drama.
I'd be completely and utterly fine with that, I don't care what the fuck I get. Hell, I'd actually love to watch a Gundam that is largely political and/or slice of life drama, with mecha battles sprinkled around sparingly here and there.
But it should at the very least be entertaining and interesting, which IBO was not.
>>
>>14299307
*cough*
Try Turn A and G-Reco
>>
>>14299117
>GBF
>Side project

It was a series meant to celebrate the 35th anniversary of gundam and had a plamo campaign based around its gunpla line in the form of the all gundam project as well as a tie in with a free weapon set giveaway at participating stores. There was a massive amount of effort put into it from all angles. GBF was most definitely not a "Side Project".
>>
>>14299180
I don't know, to me it felt a lot like they hadn't even decided on an S2 until halfway through the series.
>>
>>14299484
It really felt like the production team weren't expecting a S2 and they had to stretch shit up because they didn't have anything planned yet.
>>
>>14299537
It felt like they had to ditch what they originally had planned, so they padded everything out to try and salvage the show. This put season two into question, so they wrapped up as much as they could and hoped for the best storywise while the animators went fuck it while heading to the bar.

Whether this was because of parental outrage or Nagai's usual direction started acting up, who knows?
>>
>>14299180
I kinda feel like it Sunrise/Bandai should calm down a little and have a bit of time off in between. I mean, for the past 2 years or so, there's practically been no break, just churning out Gundams after Gundams. I'm not expecting Macross tier breaks, but at least space things out a little.
>>
>>14298740
Holy shit
>>
I honestly don't even remember if there was a scene with them putting on the Full Armor. Did it really just show up in the next scene decked out like that?
>>
>>14298740
Because all the good animators worked on GBF, then a bunch left to work on G-Reco with Tomino, which is why S2 didn't look as good

I imagine all the talent was working on Thunderbolt during rather than IBO

>>14299837
Yup
>>
>>14299837
Why show them putting on the armor when you can show that alleyway scene again? And again? Everybody wants to know what we do now, Orga! Everyone wants to see Kudelia be amazing! Fuck the actual cool shit about the show, we want to see these bland characters and meaningless politicking!
>>
>>14298890
i think IBO probably has a bigger budget overall but they put the majority of it into marketing and merchandise
>>
>>14298740
GBF was an anniversary project. It's also only 25 episodes so they have less things to work on. Also a director that knows his stuff. Since it's not a real war story, the fight could go on however they want, and it's mostly 1v1 or battle royale so it's easy to write.

IBO, however, is a 50 episode project and seems to be not have proper pre-production time. I don't think the animation is as shitty as everyone said, but it wasn't great, yeah.

The story is objectively bad though, like it kinda stop in the middle. You can tell they didn't properly plan it ahead of time.
>>
>>14299863
Thunderbolt is UC. UC sells, esp. in nippon. It makes perfect sense for them to invest more there.
>>
File: 1462635983597.png (218 KB, 512x384) Image search: [Google]
1462635983597.png
218 KB, 512x384
Since Thunderbolt is done and there are rumors of animation directors changing, is there a chance Sunrise could pump out a Gundam show Season 2 stronger than the first season?
>>
>>14298867
The only thing mature anime viewers need are waifus and fap material, and IBO had it but didn't really give them time besides Kudelia. What the fuck.
>>
>>14300211
>Seed Destiny
>MS igLoo 2
>00 S2
>GBF Try

Not exactly a great track record there.
>>
>>14300235
Aside from seed, all of those started off good to great. IBO couldn't possibly go from "okay" to worse.Not sure even Sunrise could manage that.
>>
File: atraquality3.gif (2 MB, 480x270) Image search: [Google]
atraquality3.gif
2 MB, 480x270
>>14298740
I'm willing to bet they won't even fix that for the bluray.
>>
>>14300211
From what I've heard, they're going back to the original plan for season one in season 2, where tekkedan gets it's ass handed to it and they, y'know, actually struggle.
>>
>>14299180
Try it's easy to see why suffered since the staff from the first GBF went on to other projects and some of the animators went over to work on G-Reco.
>>
>>14300368
Where did the korean guy go during Try? I don't see his signature animation on G-Reco at all.
>>
Why do Gundams always have the horns? I always assumed it was one of those japanese cultural things.
>>
File: 1345558-rx_78_2.jpg (28 KB, 640x640) Image search: [Google]
1345558-rx_78_2.jpg
28 KB, 640x640
>>14300413
Tradition. Japs hate change.
>>
>>14300413
That's like asking why do Federation ships always have a saucers.
>>
File: budget.jpg (232 KB, 444x1867) Image search: [Google]
budget.jpg
232 KB, 444x1867
>>14298890
Having a big budget doesn't always result in good animation. For example, look at SEED Destiny and its episode budget.
>>
>>14300413
Samurai helmet makes them honorable
>>
>>14300413
It's a symbol in UC. Fear the V-fin. Otherwise it's just tradition, it's what makes a Gundam a Gundam.
>>
File: aila-angry.jpg (71 KB, 594x515) Image search: [Google]
aila-angry.jpg
71 KB, 594x515
>>14300491
>Gurren Lagann cost less than SEED
>>
>>14301179
Guren Lagann only has one OP and the comical animation style doesn't need much budget. Tetsuya Kakihara is also still a small fry back then.
>>
>>14301188
>and the comical animation style doesn't need much budget
You've must be joking. Outside of that one episode you can clearly tell a lot of care went into the animation overall that even its shortcuts looked good.
>>
File: maxresdefault.jpg (66 KB, 1280x720) Image search: [Google]
maxresdefault.jpg
66 KB, 1280x720
>>14300413
>Why do Gundams always have the horns?
>>
>>14300491
Yeah doesn't helped that they blew most of the budget on shitty big name VA's and bands for the music.
>>
>>14300491
current year values?
>>
>>14300491
Wow I didn't realize Dennou Coil had such a large budget.
>>
>>14301261
Here's another thing, SEED was also the first Gundam to be aired on it's current station, with the prominent Sunday evening timeslot. That no doubt blew up the budget more than past shows, along with using CG models and digital art when those were still in their infancy.

Though this doesn't excuse the storytelling of SEED, but the new timeslot could explain some of why it got so big.
>>
>>14300491
And people wonder why western productions can afford to be much more animated.
>>
Animators of IBO just could not give less of a shit, which is understandable.
>>
>>14300373
He did go to Greco
>>
>>14300491
>Dragon Booster
Well, that's definitely a good example of bad budget implementation.
>>
>>14301368
>with using CG models and digital art when those were still in their infancy.
Ummm... No? CG in TV shows was definitely not in it's infancy in the early 2000's, you may have been right if it was the early to mid 90's, but not when Seed aired.

The reason why animation in seed was so crappy had to do with how they had a really low animation budget for the amount of animation they had to produce. Hence the sloppy use of CG and the crazy amount of stock footage all over the place.
>>
>>14302164
>really low animation budget

Thanks at least in part to the huge wad of cash that got eaten up to afford all the big name artists for the OPs, EDs, and inserts.

Also, getting TMR to voice a character who was in all of what? Two episodes?
>>
>>14302116
>western productions
>animated
lol
>>
>>14302170
Then TMR did it again in destiny with Heine.
>>
>>14302170
I remember Fukuda saying most of the budget went to the CG.
>>
>>14298740
You'd be surprised how much money you can save by using stock footage.
>>
>>14302457
I don't even remember much CG outside of a couple exterior shots of the PLANTs and the episodes with the notZoids.
>>
>>14301368
Vandread would be something you call CG models in their infancy.

Seed was not.
>>
>>14302479
The ship. The archangel was CG.
>>
Isn't the main problem with SEED's animation is that digital animation was beginning to be a thing and the animatiors were still trying to get a hang of it? After all, those "Freedom slices the heads and arms off the two GINNs with two swings" scenes don't reuse themselves and let's also not forgot how bad the remasters were
>>
File: 1381533427754.png (379 KB, 1115x3790) Image search: [Google]
1381533427754.png
379 KB, 1115x3790
>>14302457
10 million yen towards 3DCG according to the Kyoto Uni QnA. That's out of 25 million yen )per episode) that was allotted to SEED, whereas most shows according to Fukuda have a budget between 10-12.

The CG in SEED cost as much as some shows. T_T
>>
>>14302164
CG & Digital animation were definitely not the norm in anime back around SEEDs time. Hell, anime didn't fully adopt widescreen until several years after. Costs of using those techinques have gone down tremendously since then to the point that traditional animation is often deemed more expensive to use. If SEED did anything right, it was that just by being popular it helped pave the way for companies to get onboard with these animation methods and thus drive the cost down.
>>
>>14298740
>how did Build Fighters manage to be better than every gundam in the last decade
I don't know, anon. I don't know.>>14298740
>>
>>14298740
There is WAY more to animation than just staying "on model". That sequence in IBO is actually much better animation. More detailed. Lots of secondary animation between poses. No one holds a pose for longer than 2 frames. None of that lazy parallax bullshit. Plus the characters actually have weight to them. Actually anticipation and reaction.

Jeze... I'll tear into IBO all day for fun. Show was a piece of shit, but it had some great sequences. The problem with the fighting animation in IBO was that there was barely ANY of it. Recong had a ton of great on point animation but very little sensible story, and IBO tried to go the other direction and went WAY to far. That's what was wrong with IBO.
>>
File: gendum borbotos.webm (930 KB, 1280x720) Image search: [Google]
gendum borbotos.webm
930 KB, 1280x720
>>14303102
>it had some great sequences

>Recong had a ton of great on point animation but very little sensible story
The story was completely sensible and fairly abundant. It just wasn't very intelligible for a lot of viewers.
>>
>>14303133
>spot the assblasted G-Recofag
>>
>>14303102
I'll disagree with that. I think that staying on model is very important to animation, and should be a baseline expectation. G-Reco's animation was not only on model, but much more detailed, and shaded. IBO had a lot of smearing. The animation in IBO was mostly heavy-looking pose-to-pose that had lots of ease in and ease out, which is very satisfying to look at, but they dropped so much detail in a lot of key frames. Some sequences looked great, sure, but I'm not about to compare them to G-Reco's level of animation.
>>
>>14301223
Flashy animation doesn't mean they spend big money on it. Look at One Punch Man for example.

Mind you, I'm not saying they look like shit.
>>
>>14298740
>on model

MFW no one's gotten the joke.

Ironically, the joke answers the question in of itself.
>>
I loved the first appearence of the grimgerde; that scene was pretty fluidly animated
>>
>>14303133
I remember thinking in this scene that they're telling me he's doing some beautiful dance and I'm like what the fuck is even going on
>>
I hope IBO does well on toonami and we get gunpla in toystores again with english boxes and terrible commercials!
>>
>>14303133
This webm/scene is honestly one of the most embarrassing things I've seen in modern anime. In that scene with the music you were really suppose to be impressed with this but the animators completely failed.
>>
>>14298745
>changing animation directors
Jesus christ, I sure hope so. IBO had like 2 good animation scenes out of roughly 20.
>>
>>14305110
"Sprukits" failing has pretty much already ruined that fantasy for you.
>>
>>14302518
>Isn't the main problem with SEED's animation is that digital animation was beginning to be a thing and the animatiors were still trying to get a hang of it?
I think it was more the studio not knowing how to budget a digital anime quite yet.
>>
>>14307294
>I think it was more the studio not knowing how to budget a digital anime quite yet.
they gave it more than enough budget

it's the execution that was flawed
>>
>>14307287
>Sprukits
never even heard of this.
pretty sure that's why it failed.
>>
>>14298740
>How did Gundam Build Fighters have better animation than Gundam Iron Blooded Orphans?How did they manage to stay on model much more often?

Because the people that worked on Build Fighters were talented and cared about the work they were doing. When you watch Build Fighters you can see the passion shinning through. It's as simple as that.
>>
>>14298867
But political and economical spheres of IBO are primitive.
>>
>>14307769
No worse than G-Reco, it's all the same low level shit. One is just portrayed differently so you had to pay attention while the other was fed to you with a silver spoon. The content of both had no marginal difference in terms of politics and economics.

Unless you're name is Ark Performance, you aren't making anything but primitive, and there's a good reason for that too. Do you see Johnny Ridden being adapted? Or Assassination of Gihren Zabi? Yeah exactly. No one at Sunrise or Bandai wants to turn Gundam into Patlabor.
>>
>>14298769

On the other hand GBF tended to only have two machines to animate in most of its fights, so they could afford to go all out with them. IBO had less fights, but more stuff in most fights. That accounts more for choreography than animation though I imagine, since it's easier to plan a fight with only two people and make it exciting, visually dynamic and spatially accurate over one with several people.
>>
>>14303133

I thought during that scene they were saying he was moving really fluidly as well as being very economical with his movements. I remember thinking that him darting all over the placemats pretty much the opposite of that.
>>
>>14307859
Either the studio was being retarded, or worse yet, Girly Horn was just that incompetent. I don't even know which I'd bet on being true, probably both.

Remember Carta? You could be Patrick from 00 and still be the main character of IBO no problem cause other than chocolate man everyone else sucks dick on the enemy side.

I mean yeah Ein would be way scarier than Patrick, but given how he killed absolutely no one even given the greatest of all advantages it's pretty much impossible to kill the immortal ace even if the Barbatoss was reduced to a cock pit and nothing else.
>>
>>14307872
You know what would instantly fix IBO?
Yazan. Just stick Yazan in there and show is suddenly 10 times better.
>>
>>14307875
He's busy with Thunderbolt, but honestly if any established battle junkie should be in IBO S2, it's Ali. I mean what part of him doesn't fit IBO's setting?
>>
Have the Blurays fixed any of this show's problems?
>>
>>14307700
>When you watch Build Fighters you can see the passion shinning through. It's as simple as that.
be less obvious next time
>>
ガンダムスローネはクレクレ厨がタカッタもにで、Sガンダムをモデルに20メートルクラスで作りスタッフが性能ダウンしたガンダム、鉄血はそのさらに劣化版、ある意味あの程度のモビルスーツに負ける物を作るスタッフは別の意味で凄い、俺ならワイヤーで固定して焼き殺すな、ガロードみたいに
>>
>>14300250
please tell me you heard this from somewhere credible,because hearing JYB pull another round of the Lelouch games might make IBO S2 worth watching dubbed
>>
>>14308567
>be less obvious next time

Less obvious about what ? Build Fighters is cool, IBO isn't. One puts you too sleep, the other has you on the edge while watching the fights. Guess which is which.
>>
>>14309099
then why are IBO kits more popular?
>>
>>14309336
They aren't?

Multiple BF kits literally sold out in stores on release day and it even boosted sales of older existing designs.

Ibo kits did well but BF gunpla sales were insane.
>>
>>14308619
What
>>
>>14307884
Ali being the Prince of the Space Pirates would make the Brewers arc actually good.
>>
>>14309990
Well that’s true, the difference is colossal in the quality of the villains, Ali was extremely evil so he fit in what they wanted but he was entertaining to watch
>>
>>14309990
>>14310032

But then the anime would end at the Brewers arc, as Tekkadan would all bite the dust and Turbines gets enslaved. Woah shit that IS better than IBO so long as it turns into a hentai or something.

Prince of Space Pirates + Enslaved Harem vs Chocolate Mask + Garglehorn hentai mecha SRW game with Kagami as lead artist when?
>>
>>14309336
>then why are IBO kits more popular?
They're not.

You can just tell from the few news stories we get about Gunpla that this is not the case compared to when BF was coming out
>>
>>14310572
>>14309350
literally every blogger and youtuber has built at least 1 barbatos.
Everyone and their momma has built a graze, grimgerde or gunison in the last few months.

don't give me that shit.
>>
>>14310800
So? I can say the same thing on just about any Gundam. Literally every blogger and youtuber has built at least 2 exias or 00 and a bunch of Build Fighters kit. Only a few of IBO kits are selling while every unit from Build fighters line sold really well and some got into the MG line.

It's your our own fault you got shit for eating shit like IBO.
>>
>>14298740
Obari
>>
>>14313559
Obari was episode director for IBO as well.
>>
>>14310572
The HG Barbatos outsold the combined sales of the Build Burning, Try Burning and Kamiki Burning Gundam.

Bandai made more money selling Barbatos than having to make 3 versions of the protagonist Gundam for Build Fighters Try.
>>
>ITT:Only Bandai executives shall post
>>
>>14298867
>political slice of life drama

>chinese cartoons

next up: WWE to incorporate character drama and introspective narratives in upcoming season
>>
>>14314280
Lucha Underground already does this
>>
>>14314211
You know we're talking about comparing Build Fighters, not Try
Thread replies: 115
Thread images: 9

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.