[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Fafner
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /m/ - Mecha

Thread replies: 77
Thread images: 15
So I started watching this after I saw people talking about it in another thread.

Jesus christ, why is everyone dying all of a sudden?
>>
>>14295445
Remember to spoiler that shit m8
>>
File: 196.png (602 KB, 714x534) Image search: [Google]
196.png
602 KB, 714x534
To illustrate just how tenuous the island's ability to repel the Festum invasion actually WAS despite having the most advanced technology in the world

To illustrate WHY the Neo United Nations and the Human Army decided to just nuke them when they refused to join, because losing all technology is preferable to letting the enemy get it.

To prey on that false sense of safety that had built up since episode 16 where everything seemed to just be getting better and better.

The rides not over yet
>>
>>14295445
bukel up son the pain trains just starting the next 100 stops are full of death, depression, futilaty and magic lol
>>
>Sad ED arrange plays three episodes in a row

What the hell is going on? Did they suddenly decide they just wanted to go full suffering at this point?
>>
>>14295445
First and second halves of the first series were written by different people.
>>
>>14295445
Because it is an edgy shit Evangelion clone that SEEDfags circlejerk.
>>
File: 1430058276892.png (600 KB, 1372x767) Image search: [Google]
1430058276892.png
600 KB, 1372x767
>>14295814
You're trying too hard anon.

Here's your (you) to make you feel happy.
>>
It's a wild ride but I love it.
>>
>>14295804
To elaborate: First half was by one guy (I'm forgetting his name, sorry) entirely

Second half is by Ubukata Tow, but starts off with him going off the plot written by the first guy. It's only a few episodes into the second half that it becomes entirely Ubukata.

The prequel and sequels are entirely Ubukata.
>>
>>14295445
Sometimes sacrifices have to be made for the future path to hope
>>
>>14295445
>Jesus christ, why is everyone dying all of a sudden?
stuff like this is why I've never been able to get into Fafner, or indeed most Real Robot series(and quite a few Super Robot series) made since 2002, it just is too bleak for my tastes, I want to enjoy my fiction not get depressed by it
>>
There's something I've always wondered about Fafner, even though the Mir had made Japan's population sterile, how is it that Soushi's mother was pregnant with Tsubaki when she got assimilated?

And did that sterility ever even extend to the later generations?
>>
>>14296588
wimp
>>
>>14295445
>Jesus christ, why is everyone dying all of a sudden?
But we have quite a few named casualties in the first episode alone.
Also beach episodes are just prequels to the bloodbaths in fafner.
>>
>>14296746
The sterility only affected those that were actually there, as Yumiko and Michio proved. The kids are all genetically modified anyway, so naturally they'd be made without that glaring flaw.

Saya's pregnancy is bizarrely unexplained. I've heard vague reports from Japanese sites that she was in Canada when the sterilization happened, but no concrete sources. And even if that was the case, Soushi was genetically modified like the rest and would have been born first, so how does that work? It's weird.
>>
>>14297182
I thought they explained Yumiko's pregnancy as being due to the island Mir learning about life? That thing with Saya is really weird though, it's even in the jap wiki. It has to have come from a character entry on one of the official sites or something at some point
>>
>>14297263
>I thought they explained Yumiko's pregnancy as being due to the island Mir learning about life?
Yes, I'm assuming the older adults are still sterile though, technically two different Mirs at work even if Tatsumiya's was part of the Seto Inland Sea Mir. The women at least are probably old enough that it wouldn't make a difference though.

That's just my take though, the specific mechanics aren't something viewers ever really needed. I always figured with the kids they'd be fine off-island, but on it the Mir was a problem since it's the entire ecosystem. Since, again, they were all grown in pods, if Tatsumiya knew how to grow humans I don't see how magically non-functioning reproductive systems would be passed on naturally.
>>
>>14297279
>the specific mechanics aren't something viewers ever really needed

Yeah that's true and there is a fair bit of that kind of thing in Dead Aggressor anyway, like the whole scene where Mark Sein revived it's core
>>
>>14297384
>like the whole scene where Mark Sein revived it's core

Mark Sein is just bullshit and you should always treat it as such. Its been assimilated fully two different times and come out completely fine both times.
>>
>>14296231
Tow was actually heavily involved in the early parts too.
>>14297384
>Mark Sein revived it's core
Which Episode?
>>
>>14295445
>>
File: Butterfly Emerging.jpg (286 KB, 533x800) Image search: [Google]
Butterfly Emerging.jpg
286 KB, 533x800
>>14295445
>>
File: Norikek.png (114 KB, 232x269) Image search: [Google]
Norikek.png
114 KB, 232x269
>>14298873
Fucking kek.
>>
>>14297384
>>14298394
My personal theory is that Seinzilla is what Fafner cores would like if they were allowed to grow into full Festum. It should be technically possible for that to happen.

But more likely, yeah, they didn't have the lore pinned down and had to do something flashy for Sein's redesign.
>>
>>14299482
Except Sein got assimilated by Mark Nicht, and popped back out again later.

I always just assumed that was something Sein was somehow uniquely able to do. Like, the Azazels had their unique abilities, and so did Sein - it can unassimilate itself.
>>
File: CSKPeBaUEAA5hoV.jpg (40 KB, 600x338) Image search: [Google]
CSKPeBaUEAA5hoV.jpg
40 KB, 600x338
So is fafner actually worth the watch despite what that one seedfag in denial above said?

Because my mental health is beyond fucked up to even trust my inner thoughts anymore.
>>
>>14299534
Other pilots have been able to resist assimilation through willpower, if not to that degree. I think that's just another aspect of Sein's all-around OP strength.

After Sein's transformation Kazuki in general shows a stronger sense of self than before, which also helps. Especially once he's Festumized by the island's Mir, he's still able to stay himself.
>>
>>14299582
You like classic Post Apocalyptic Alien vs Human vs Human Sci Fi?

You able to tolerate low quality animation?

You don't mind being left in the dark for the first quarter of the show and then only able to put all the pieces together later on and understand what actually was going on in the first half on a rewatch?

You don't mind CGI animation?

You like consistent characterization and people following their own internal logic?
>>
>>14299582
Yes. While it is absolutely somewhat of an Eva clone early on, once Ubukata takes over it starts to become it's own thing and by the time Exodus comes around it really has absolutely no similiarity to evangelion at all.
>>
>>14299593
You like well directed fights?
>>
>>14302889
>no similarity to evangelion at all
I wouldn't quite say that. It's definitely its own thing by Exodus, but there are still a few blatant callbacks to iconic Eva scenes here and there (like Kazuki losing an arm and going absolutely ballistic to the point he doesn't care about going full festum, and Mark Sein's toothy true face) and it's got a very general feeling that it's inspired by Eva.
>>
So Muv luv but edgy without a purpose?
>>
>>14305568
>edgy
>without a purpose
No.
>>
>>14305568
IS your post meant to suggest that you don't feel Muffluff to be edgy?
>>
File: bait.png (34 KB, 192x189) Image search: [Google]
bait.png
34 KB, 192x189
>>14305568
>edgy
>without a purpose
>as compared to Muv-Luv
>>
File: bstgrlhr.webm (56 KB, 522x404) Image search: [Google]
bstgrlhr.webm
56 KB, 522x404
Threadly reminder that you didn't protect her smile
>>
Did they announce the full version of Canon's death song yet?
>>
>>14295462
>caring about spoilers for a ten year old anime that got multiple SRW appearances
>>
>>14308993
Yes.
>>14309009
>caring that it got an SRW appearance
Come on now.
I do agree though.
>>
>>14297182
Japanese wiki says Soushi's parents chose to have him born from the artificial uterus for the Mir factor/Synergetic Code. Tsubaki just happened naturally, but yeah, JP wiki says about Saya not being in Japan when the Mir thing took place.

I'd reckon most of the Japanese wiki sources are from the long out of print material books.

Wish Exodus got a material or art book. There's plenty stuff they could confirm.
>>
>>14309009
You know I never watch anime when it airs and I watch things when I get to them.

But I still agree because going into a thread about a show that you haven't watched yet is just ASKING to be spoiled. I don't know why folks do it.
>>
>>14296588
Fiction represents the real world.

When there is an economic or political crisis depressing and disturbing media will be made because artists are inspired by their surroundings.

The seventies in America made for some of the best movies Hollywood ever produced.

In Japan most of the anime from the seventies to mid 90s is happy time with a few notable exceptions.
>>
File: 6774-2.jpg (108 KB, 500x281) Image search: [Google]
6774-2.jpg
108 KB, 500x281
>>14307550
But I did.
>>
Are the last 4 BD volumes for Exodus available online anywhere yet?
>>
>>14295445
Because once it starts, ride never ends. We welcome you aboard our Fafner bus. Take your seat and enjoy the ride full of suffering and hope.
>>
So what's the watch order for Fafner? How do I begin? Is it just Fafner -> Exodus?
>>
>>14327439
Chronologically, it goes Right of Left (OVA)->Dead Aggressor (S1)->Heaven and Earth (movie)->Exodus (S2).
Right of Left's a prequel, though, so it's probably better watched after the first series.
>>
>>14327444
So there are four entries and I should just watch in release order? Got it.
>>
File: Fafner Info.png (4 MB, 949x1072) Image search: [Google]
Fafner Info.png
4 MB, 949x1072
>>14327447
Not that anon, but yeah just go by release order and be sure you don't skip anything. It's a very continuous story despite all the time between installments.
>>
File: 1454878120599.jpg (132 KB, 909x1023) Image search: [Google]
1454878120599.jpg
132 KB, 909x1023
>>14327453
>If any of these terms bother you, turn back now:
>every single one of those
wew lad, getting myself in deep here but I'll stick it out since I'm basically NEET for a few months and have nothing better to do than watch this.
>>
>>14327465
Like it says too, the first half of the first season is slightly polarizing, but after that you get a better feel for what the rest of the series is like. Good luck, anon.
>>
>>14327472
Thanks, and where are the good subs for H&E?
>>
>>14327479
http://www.mediafire.com/download/sp70lq695irje86/%5BDaman%5D+Soukyuu+no+Fafner+Dead+Aggressor+-+Heaven+and+Earth+%5B1280x720_Dual_Audio_Blu_Ray_AAC%5D%282%29.ass Here you go
>>
>>14295445
Edgy
>>
>>14327465
Brave lad. Don't worry anon you are in for a great ride. Just be ready for the feels train though.
>>
Mechs are pretty bad.
>>
>>14332126
You're a nigger
>>
Why Cores produced by Tatsumiya-mir are the only Cores which can use to create Salvatore-model?
>>
>>14334812
We don't know exactly why the SISM is the only one.

I mean maybe the Atlantis Mir could, but maybe it needs some fostering.

It did end up being able to make Fafner cores more or less on par with the capabilities of what SISM's Cores were in H&E.
>>
So the International Tokyo Toy Show is on this week, I'm still hoping one day they'll announce re-releases of the Fafner's. Didn't they mention there might be a re-release during one of the events last year?
>>
>>14295445

Will I enjoy the various Fafner anime if I'm gonna watch them just for the mecha and battles?
>>
>>14335459
Hell yeah.

From the latter of of Dead Aggressor through pretty much everything else.

The first half of DA has some pretty cool stuff actually, but it takes a while to ramp up.
>>
>>14335459
>watch them just for the mecha and battles
See, you think that's all you'll watch it for.

Show up for the robot fights, stay for the everything. That's how Fafner works.
>>
File: 1447501220035.webm (2 MB, 640x360) Image search: [Google]
1447501220035.webm
2 MB, 640x360
>>14335459
The first anime might be a little hit or miss, thanks to dated animation.

The transition to CG helps a ton in later in stuff though, totally worth it.
>>
File: 1445326218890.webm (3 MB, 720x405) Image search: [Google]
1445326218890.webm
3 MB, 720x405
>>14335459
Definitely, while Dead Aggressor might not be particularly amazing in that regard for the entire series, overall it has some pretty ones. Once you get to the movie and Exodus though you get awesome battles pretty much every episode and the mecha designs are great.
>>
>>14334812
Because the one the Neo UN had was intentionally giving them low quality Cores.

Tatsumiya gets a few high quality ones, UN gets a fuckload of low quality ones.
>>
>>14335547

Some prefer mecha to people.
>>
>>14335592
>Assimilation Jockies
>people
>>
>>14335592
Are you there, anon?

Are you a living, thinking creature, or are you like a stone dropped in there?
>>
>>14335559
>that bit with the rope where he uses it to pull his gun away
Outskilled
>>
>>14335592
I hear you. I couldn't stand a lot of characters in mecha anime but I enjoyed the mecha designs for most of them.
>>
>>14335592
Reminds me of that one time some anon said Soushi had a period where he cared more about the Fafners than the pilots.
Silly anon.
>>
>>14336048
>some Anon

That was Soushi.
>>
>>14295445
Fafner is shit
>>
>>14340488
No, it's fucking NOT!!!!!
>>
Are there any online rips of the stage musical's DVD? Somewhat curious to see what it was like
Thread replies: 77
Thread images: 15

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.