[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
OH FUCK YOU HARMONY GOLD. FFFFFFFFFFFFFFFUCK YOU!!!!!!!
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /m/ - Mecha

Thread replies: 255
Thread images: 22
File: CjmYM7BUgAA67Cj.jpg (100 KB, 600x736) Image search: [Google]
CjmYM7BUgAA67Cj.jpg
100 KB, 600x736
OH FUCK YOU HARMONY GOLD.

FFFFFFFFFFFFFFFUCK YOU!!!!!!!
>>
AND
>>
File: 1462474351190.jpg (1 MB, 1620x2880) Image search: [Google]
1462474351190.jpg
1 MB, 1620x2880
>>14288159
http://www.forbes.com/sites/olliebarder/2016/05/28/shoji-kawamori-on-macross-delta-and-his-hopes-for-the-series/#5ad967fe1210
He also hints that a Delta video game may happen if he can get it released in the west. Bless you, Kawamori,
>>
>>14288191
>implying HG's insane abuse of the law will ever end
>>
>>14288166
WE
>>
>>14288166
HE
>>
It's nice to know that there's still one group that /m/ can just universally hate without exception. It creates a sense of unity.
>>
>>14288166
AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAYEAAAAAAAAAAAE
>>
>>14288243
HOLY SHIT
>>
>>14288235
HG are a bunch of scumbags and there is objectively no good reason to bringing Robotech back, but that doesn't change the fact that the editing was a necessity and that Robotech was the biggest player in bringing anime to the west.
>>
>>14288220
WAZ
>>
>>14288251
I liked how they timed it perfectly with the release of the new Macross series, as if to remind the world they're still around and their lawyers are ready and waiting to sue anyone with any interest of allowing Macross to flourish outside Japan.
>>
>>14288253
KRAAAAANGS
>>
>>14288259
I still don't understand how the fuck one shitty company in one country can have this much hold over a franchise. Goddamned americans.
>>
>>14288235
>>14288251
I was never a fan of robotech, saw macross before I even heard of it (asiafag and all), but I didn't mind people liking it, it's when I heard what HG did I went on full hate, in my eyes if you support robotech you're supporting the scummy Harmony Gold fucks.

sure there might be some truths to japan making it a bit difficult to bring macross outside japan due to the music rights but I still think the biggest problem is HG being patent/rights troll
>>
>>14288251
I think you mean Speed Racer and Voltron, the two early anime that actually managed to get into the cultural consciousness. People who don't know anything about anime have no idea what the fuck Robotech is, but you say Voltron or Speed Racer and they have at least a vague idea of what you're talking about. And neither of those was modified to anything close to the degree Robotech was. A few years later there was Dragon Ball, and everyone under forty has heard of a Super Saiyan. Robotech was never even close to the biggest player in bringing anime to the west.
>>
>>14288270
SHEEEEIT
>>
>>14288251
>Robotech was the biggest player in bringing anime to the west.

Kill yourself.
>>
>>14288277
I'd never heard of Robotech until I saw people getting mad about it on /m/
I used to wake up early to watch Voltron reruns at like 6 AM all the damn time
>>
>>14288275
>sure there might be some truths to japan making it a bit difficult to bring macross outside japan due to the music rights

Also untrue. stop parroting hg damage control retard.
>>
>>14288251
>the west.
You said it again. You mean the USA. I live somewhere else in "the west", Robotech don't mean squat here.
>>
>>14288329
I live in the US and Robotech doesn't mean shit.
>>
>>14288277

Didn't you read the thread a fortnight back? Robotech is responsible for the importation or Dragon Ball Z and Sailor Moon.
>>
>>14288340
Exactly. Robotech has never aired nationwide in the usa. It aired on some state networks in the 80's and on cable 90's

Speed racer, tetsujin 28, voltes V, gaiking, danguard ace, grendizer, gatchaman, astro boy, dairugger, golion, space battleship yamato etc brought anime to the usa, then dbz, sailor moon and pokemon popularized it. Robotech did jack shit.
>>
>>14288353
If I read every Robotech thread it would be almost as big a waste of time as actually watching Robotech.
>>
HG end game is a big time movie or tv show. They want tens of millions from that. Then spin offs. They see that they are potentially sitting on 1 billion dollars of revenue. They will never give that up.
>>
>>14288355
>Every robotech thread
>robotech thread

Taken out of context, it actually sounds like we have threads here that talk about the show, rather than curse it's and HG's existence
>>
>>14288353
Source?
>>
>macross
who cares
>>
>>14288370
Epic post.
>>
I doubly hate Harmony Gold because they are also fucking killing Battletech by not letting us rip your Macross and Dougram designs for our basic mechs. They're classics, come the fuck on.
>>
>>14288360
There's no revenue to be made here except selling robotech calendars and the same dvd box set over and over to fat, bald failures. The fanbase is so small they couldn't even kickstart a crappy spinoff to their direct-to-dvd movie.

What executive looks at this data and thinks "billion dollar franchise"?
>>
>>14288159
Oh my freaking gosh stop complaining already there's figuratively nothing stopping you from just downloading your dang Macross show these days.
>>
What is the context of OP's pic?
>>
>>14288397
One of the original creator's of Macross is slightly upset his and other staff members names are never credited whenever Robotech is released in any form and just generally being upset to see his work edited to fit some dead man's twisted fan fiction.
>>
I don't hate Carl Macek. The man genuinely wanted anime to become a thing in the west and did everything in his power to make that happen with the best intentions, even if I disagree with his practices.

HG however can go fuck themselves.
>>
>>14288397
Someone apparently told kawamori about robotech being streamed on sonys new service and that was his reaction to hg continuing to take all the credit for a show they did not create.

Hg never miss an opportunity to shit in studio nues milkshake.
>>
>>14288412
noone cares about Carl Macek. We just want his company to go belly up and stop being a nuisance
>>
>>14288418

HG isn't his company, he just did work for them. HG is and always has been controlled by an Egyptian named Frank Agrama.

Carl did a lot of work outside of HG. I believe he was behind the Dunbine dub, and a lot of the ovas that got brought over in the 90s.
>>
>>14288251
>HG are a bunch of scumbags and there is objectively no good reason to bringing Robotech back, but that doesn't change the fact that the editing was a necessity and that Robotech was the biggest player in bringing anime to the west.

Repeating a lie doesn't make it come true. You may try but the only result you'll get is being considered a paid shill at the very least and a bumbling scumbag idiot on the other end of the spectrum.
>>
What about the Robotech novel's, as a hater of Robotech and someone who love's Macross. Will I like them?
>>
>>14288159
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oI3DlIrvoHg
>>
>>14288424
My understanding is that they're mediocre at best but people read them anyway since they know the setting and there's barely any mecha literature out there.
>>
>>14288422
I meant his company as in "the company he belonged to" In the end, my main point was, I don't care about him.
>>
>>14288424
Isn't it a forgone conclusion that you wouldn't?
>>
>>14288388

That all changes if there's a movie. Right now all signs point that this movie is still going forward.

Then with a big blockbuster movie, we got spin off merch. Sequels. This could be 1 billion dollars over the next decade. But ONLY if the movie gets made.

James Wan is still attched to direct.

http://www.forbes.com/sites/olliebarder/2016/03/28/james-wan-talks-about-the-live-action-robotech-movie-cites-macross/#6530469f6d3e
>>
>>14288458

http://en.koreaportal.com/articles/14150/20160128/robotech-movie-release-date.htm
>>
>>14288458
Oh right the movie that directors keep ditching, doesn't even have a script and has been in development hell for something like 10 years.

Even *if* it got made it would be another battleship, battle of los angeles or some other shitty alien invasion movie that flopped hard, ruined the careers of everyone involved and everybody forgot about.
>>
>>14288266
the stereotype of yanks that i've heard is that they're as sue-happy as they are trigger happy
>>
>>14288210
You call it Delta Squad Walkure or whatever else to get around their retarded copyright claim.
>>
>>14288495
Generally, yeah. We're aware of it, too; most people hate how you have to watch out for being sued over stupid shit. And then you have McDonalds actually settling a case for millions because a woman tried to sue them for spilling hot coffee over herself. It's absurd. Obviously it's not an everyday thing but I know it's more prevalent here than in other countries. Glad I don't deal with it.

>>14288458
>robotech movie is made
>kawamori et al not credited, they finally take it to court and sue for damages all across the years
>bankrupt HG, make money off of the movie for 100% profit, get their name attached to the credits of all robotech releases, take back ownership of Macross, HG publicly apologizes
sounds gud to me
>>
HG only even stays a float because of slum estate revenue right? Someone go solve the problem with a bomb or two
>>
>>14288548
There would be no need to credit kawamori or anyone from nue because the movie will never have anything from macross in it.

It would have about as much in common with robotech as the transformers movies did with the tv series. There'd be some boring human civilians and soldiers trying to find the protoculture cube or whatever before the Invid do, followed by some battle scenes with human piloted starscreams versus generic alien mecha #581 and #582
>>
>>14288481

Battleship was fun though.
>>
>>14288567
true, but his little scenario has has kawamori etc regained control of macross, so they'd be the ones getting royalty.

But really, the safest most realistic path is that the movie never gets made. HG dies eventually, and macross can spread like a normal anime in the west
>>
The blu-rays for Macross having official subs is quite the brillant move imo.

Its like an indirect fuck you to HG.

>We can't sell our anime there because you're cockblocking us?
>Fine, we'll put subs on our blurays and let our fans buy them
Best way to get the BDs to the fans that wants to buy them on top of not having to deal with any distributor bullshit.
>>
>>14288481
>>14288458
it doesn't really cost HG anything to keep the right. The threat of litigation alone will keep anyone from trying as HG has a pretty solid case.

It's not like the fox/marvel deal where fox HAS to make a movie at least every ten years to keep the right.
>>
>>14288458
You do realize that movie will probably flop, if it even cames out, right?
>The project can't hold it's staff in
>In production for years to no end
>Noticeable sci-fi bias among the average american movie audience for anything that's not a established franchise
>Robotech relevance in US pop culture all but died
>It was never relevant overseas in the first place

It's very unlikely HG will manage to make the miracle they need to make Robotech a profitable franchise again happen.
>>
>>14288575
This is really all most of us have wanted. Put fucking subtitles on the official bd's dvds and games then it doesn't matter what hg does. We get everything we want from online retailers and hg gets to eat shit.

>>14288588
Actually that's probably not the case or warner brothers could have sat on the rights forever instead of them going to sony.
>>
>>14288575
>tfw region locked blu-ray player
FUUUUUUUUCK
>>
>>14288607
So? The discs themselves will guaranteed be region free. As someone who owns the frontier blu rays, I can attest this was the case, and they didn't even have subs. Now they're adding subs, but would add region coding?
>>
>>14288548
>>14288616
I don't get why that case gets overplayed in such a retarded "WOMAN SUES MCDONALDS FOR SPILLING COFFEE IN HERSELF" way. While spilling it is her own damn fault McDonald's can't sell shit hot enough to burn your skin off in a plastic cup and not be at fault when an accident happens. I don 't know the actual legal terms for this but you do have responsability over accidents if your product is dangerous and doesn't have proper indication of this, and as far as I know, McDonald's cups didn't have a warning for risk of third degree burns).
>>
>>14288626
Huh, I should have googled this first.
Thanks anon, fuck Harmony Gold.
>>
>>14288210
>>14288251
You can literally just initiate proceedings at the USPTO to get a trademark delisted or transferred if the current holder doesn't deserve it. It'll just take a couple thousand dollars and maybe a year or two of legal work.
>>
>>14288567
>Trying to find the protoculture cube or whatever before the Invid do,
But wasn't that literally the plot of the series, except with the Zentraedi? They wouldn't have to change a thing.
>>
It's been 30 years and you Macross guys are still crying while downloading the anime for free off the internet.

Get the fuck on with your lives
>>
>>14288670
We want to officially support the show and buy localized games and have import shops carry the toys but whoops can't because of that faggot HG.
>>
>>14288277
Incorrect at least with respect to GoLion/Voltron. Both were dramaticalll altered. GoLion had A WHOLW HELL OF A LOT OF BRUTAL VIOLENCE edited. Secenes of slaves being buried in sand up to their heads so the evil soldiers could behead them. Scenes of monstrous gladiators eating obviously human body parts. Just two off the top of my head from the first disc. Let us not forget that vehicle Voltron and lion Voltron were also altered JUST LIKE ROBOTECH, so that both supposedly took place in the same universe. Lots of people seem to forget that.
>>
>>14288670
>implying not buying the subtitle-including BDs of Delta
>>
>>14288597
>You do realize that movie will probably flop, if it even cames out, right?

And HG still comes out of it with tens of millions in profit.

It costs them almost nothing to hold the copyright.
>>
>>14288159
This was something that was done alot in the past with shows prior to Robotech having anything other the companies involved in the American adaptations names credited in the credits. It really took Akira for people to see to finally notice Japan as far as I know. I would love to read a paper on that topic that isn't wouldn't be filled to the brim with venom. Robotech is a product of its time like it or not.

And, yeah. Fuck HG! Invisible wall or not.
>>
>>14288626
I don't know about the US but in Australia if you ask the vendor if they can tell you how to make a BD player region free they're required to tell you how if the player allows it, not sure about the legalities but the last time I bought a BD player from a major vendor this was certainly the case
>>
>>14288458
Reminder that this sort of shit happens often behind the scenes. Plenty of projects are said to be still going forward any time someone bothered to ask or just one person on it is still delusional/desperate enough to believe it'll one day happen and keep talking about it even when everyone else has pretty much said no. For every 1000+ projects that are said to be going forward, in reality only like maybe 10 or so actually does go forward.

The only reason why you think it's happening is because in recent years people are actually starting to pay more attention to backstage scenes and social media is allowing more of those behind the scenes stuff to be available. But the process still hasn't changed

>>14288809
No, HG won't. Read up on Hollywood's bullshit accounting practices.
>>
File: Yamato.jpg (129 KB, 1437x887) Image search: [Google]
Yamato.jpg
129 KB, 1437x887
>>14288862
Nonsense. Robotech was an unusual exception for not crediting japanese creators.

Here's Star Blazers for example. harmony gold are just assholes.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P1Z9O4VH_ak
>>
>>14288932
>No, HG won't. Read up on Hollywood's bullshit accounting practices.
they'll get money as license holders as well as other residuals and that's usually quite a bit on its own without doing any work
>>
>>14288943
It won't be tens of millions. It'll be far, far lesser than that. Seriously, go read up on this shit. Hollywood is notorious for fucking up rights holders with their bullshit legal loopholes and accounting practices.

You might say: but they still get money. Yes, but it won't the big break you think it is. The money will just be them dragging their undead company along, maybe buy them a couple more years, since the studios sure as hell won't give them a 2nd chance.

Seriously, we may like to make fun of Hollywood but they still aren't to be taken likely. And this isn't paranoia or conspiracy speculations. You can go and do your own research on the bullshit that runs that place.
>>
>>14288889
It's illegal in the US. You don't actually "own" your BD-player. You're only licensing it for personal use from the company and they can take it back at any time, as well as fine you for tampering with it.
>>
>>14288957
>Hollywood is notorious for fucking up rights holders with their bullshit legal loopholes and accounting practices.
for once this might be a good thing, I would die laughing if HG got screwed over by hollywood
>>
>>14288959
Jesus christ when even the fucking shitpost country is better at handling this shit you know there is something infinitely wrong with america
>>
>>14288809
It costs a lot to make and market a movie though.
>>
>>14288986
America is actually really fucked up in many, many ways

We just never talk about it because their culture is so dominant
>>
>>14289004

America isn't even fully democratic and actually holds overseas territories like Guam and Puerto Rico without giving their citizens any real rights or in some cases even citizenship. Even Washington DC, their own capital, isn't given full voting rights. It's kind of funny, if in a black sense, for a country that bangs on about democracy so much.
>>
File: gren.jpg (79 KB, 1279x681) Image search: [Google]
gren.jpg
79 KB, 1279x681
It looks about 50/50 for localizers acknowledging the japanese in the 70s and early 80s

Speed racer credits the original creators
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=523N3zwVupM

Vehicle voltron does not
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PLdR_cOdrUU

lion voltron does not
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sUSpQW3zcUw

Astro boy gives credit
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g3SvVpEYr40

Battle of the planets does not
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Rm8oxxRhUyg

ulysses 31 gives credit
https://youtu.be/diH8TXZKfuQ?t=23m40s

All the force five shows give partial credit.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gm3x5W3-Tj8

Kimba the white lion gives full credit
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d6Tli_mhtOA&list=ELP7kHaRxcFPg
>>
>>14288266
>>14288495
It's the jews, really. Haim Saban, anyone?
>>
>>14288266
big-west got into, in retrospect, a very very bad deal, likely because they couldn't/wouldn't deal with international distribution on a show they considered as niche.
>>
>>14289019

All jews are shitty because one jew is shitty? Really? That's like condemning all Christians because Gibson is a fucking lunatic.

It's not the Jews. It's Saban and people like him. Not Jews: assholes.
>>
File: Untitled.jpg (77 KB, 604x391) Image search: [Google]
Untitled.jpg
77 KB, 604x391
>>14288999
And that's even assuming the studio is willing to market it. So that's another big IF after IF it gets made at all.

Oh, and just for reference, here's a live action of an actual anime that barely anyone in the US would know about. It's based off hentai so there's obviously very little marketing and that's how much it generated. Robotech might do better, but it still won't be the golden goose robotech fags are expecting it to be.
>>
So what happens if I try to import, say, a Yamato Macross toy from Japan. Does HG have agents at every postal/delivery company in the world who will intercept it?
>>
>>14289116
They've never touched personal imports there's nothing they can do.
>>
>>14288986

You realize he's bullshitting, right?

It'd be like saying that you need a license in order to own and watch a TV in the UK-

Oh, wait.
>>
>>14288934
And here I thought Japan-phobia was still quite strong for years making it hard to put a Japanese name on the credits. I guess it's just my experience with people from back then. I would still like to learn exactly why they were ommitted and other ommissions if they exist.
>>14289010
From someone with Irish in the: being white is like being in an exclusive club that Irish-Americans had to fight for to be considered "not like those other blacks." Seriously, we weren't even considered to be truely white back then, and even Ghandi did the same thing. Is white a race, a club, or what? White-supremacy is a bitch.
>>14289011
More! Why? Must learn!
>>14289116
That's what lawyers are for.
>>
File: candy.jpg (107 KB, 997x703) Image search: [Google]
candy.jpg
107 KB, 997x703
>>14289190
There were some more that I can't find credits for but mostly ZIV home video and rental store stuff like candy candy, wonderful wizard of oz, captain future, captain harlock etc. They've either been uploaded without the end credits or they're newer dvd releases that don't have the original credits.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uZwTCjz5r6I

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d_57XARGmFQ

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oTUAMVJD7XY

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Yuk-hHPTV2U&list=PLS3SOlSTtJcDe-vQ-T46r_cB1U_ENAuKF

We had a lot more anime in the 70's and 80's than kids realize. And these are just the ones I saw as a kid personally. there are probably many more. I didn't include a few that were made in japan but funded by the french liek belle and sebastian, mysterious cities of gold, inspector gadget etc
>>
>>14289249
The point is Robotech being the herald of popular Japanese cartoons is bullshit
>>
>>14289019
You mean the person who actually tried to bring dubbed sentai to the west, credits Toei and doesnt meddle with sentai being released in the US?
>>
>>14289190
>From someone with Irish in the: being white is like being in an exclusive club that Irish-Americans had to fight for to be considered "not like those other blacks." Seriously, we weren't even considered to be truely white back then, and even Ghandi did the same thing. Is white a race, a club, or what? White-supremacy is a bitch.
That is what happens when you're descedant of a potato
>>
>>14288633
If I recall correctly the whole reason the case had teeth to begin with, is that McDonalds kept their coffee super hot, so people would have to wait for it to cool before they drank it as a form of refill control.
>>
>>14288424
>What about the Robotech novel's

They're decent and very different in tone from Robotech the animation. A word of caution though, find the original volumes (those published in the 1980s through the early 90s) because that shithead of Yune managed to retcon the story so that it adapts to his "new" vision of the Robotech continuity. Hence the new improved and retconned to hell volumes. These you really really don't want to read.
>>
>>14288670
Every other "never" series is available legally.
fuck LOGH is going to come to the US. That was my "lol this will never happen" series. This is the biggest monster of classic series.
>>
>>14289256
Yep, also how could I forget TRANZOR Z
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lVkueSuO-GU

Cities of gold intro
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9ki99YBVKyw

belle and sebastien
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OOMlKawBexI

King arthur
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NtqlQIG4gi0

Even as a kid you could tell from the art style and the credits that you were watching something different from regular cartoons
>>
If only there was a way to ruin HG
>>
>>14289306
>TRANZOR Z
Tranzor was my jam as a little kid.

From my own experiences Robotech did have some prominence.
Like, even through the late 90s I'd see comics dealer types that didn't know anything lump robot cartoon stuff as "Robotech".

The time I got a bunch of old posters cheap as hell they were labelled "999 Robotech" "Nausicaa Robotech" and "Final Yamato Robotech". So clearly there was a perception that Robotech was a thing.
I don't remember if it was on TV in my area. I remember seeing the toys at least.

I get the impression that Robotech seems to be attached to the rise of "there are nerds who will dump money on Japanese cartoon shit" as a concept.
Like the old Protoculture Addicts magazine. Either they dug it or they thought their market dug it.
I'm pretty sure Star Blazers established "hey scifi nerds Japan has cartoons with spaceships and stuff", but I don't know how profitable it was for anybody.
>>
>>14289265

The person he was talking to, i.e. me, is a potato/Irish. The US still isn't fully democratic and a large part of the reason it doesn't (or at least didn't originally) grant it's territories rights is because of racial prejudice. It's not addressed now simply because most people don't even realize it's a thing, and the people who do mostly don't care. Which is sad from a place like America.
>>
>>14289158
You do in most modern nations.
>>
>>14289333
K commie. We're on /m/, not your course on thermodynamics of fat and racial feminist oppression.
>>
>>14289330
>From my own experiences Robotech did have some prominence.

It really all depends where you lived in the 80s. Firstly if you lived in a state that aired robotech and secondly what the other channels were airing in the same time slot.

I did get robotech in my state but it was on at the same time as transformers so we only watched rt for a couple minutes at a time during the transformers commercial breaks.

if you lived in a state where you weren't missing out on the more popular cartoons by watching robotech then I'd imagine it would have a stronger following.
>>
>>14289346

> wants a democracy to be fully democratic
> somehow makes me communist
> along with a few other bits of random shit

Shitposters don't even make sense anymore.
>>
>>14289330
>I get the impression that Robotech seems to be attached to the rise of "there are nerds who will dump money on Japanese cartoon shit" as a concept.
Did nerds have that perception though?

Wasn't the hottest thing basically Ranma?
>>
>>14289380
And Akira
>>
Guys, we only have a year until that license expires. The movie won't get made by then.
>>
>>14289263
I heard otherwise. There's a reason why Shout Factory ' releases mention power rangers, and apparently it is not due to wanting to get a wider audience.
>>
>>14289380
>Wasn't the hottest thing basically Ranma?
I'm mostly sure Ranma was some years later in the US. But yeah by the mid90s they had a pretty decent market for Ranma stuff

>>14289391
I'm not talking about the "direct to video cartoon" market. I mean more the equivalent of the Narutards who buy headbands and stuff.

>>14289354
I'm not talking about the tv run. I don't think it even ran in my area. I didn't really watch Saturday morning cartoons though because fuck waking up early on my days off.
>>
>>14289394

The Macross license expires? I thought it was valid in perpetuity?
>>
>>14289380
>Ranma
that came in the 90's though right? a good number of years after robotech happened
>>
>>14289333
Tumblr is that way.
>>
>>14289380
The only link I can think of between robotech and the commercialization of anime is the protoculture addicts magazine. The name of the magazine referenced macross/robotech but it had roots in the canadian anime scene which had roots in the french anime scene.

>>14289407
>I'm not talking about the tv run.
So the cable run in the 90's then? The 90's is too late I can't imagine why anyone would be associating nausicaa with robotech in the 90's

>>14289408
Hg's licence does expire periodically but they usually renegotiate it a year or two before it expires. The current lease goes until either 2019 or 2021 iirc.

when sonys license expires we can only speculate
>>
>>14289409
Yeah but Ranma is THE big anime of the early gaijin anime fandom to me. It was known that it was chinese asian shit but loved immensely an had a billion fanworks

>>14289407
Is there anything between Robotech and Ranma that is a series? Maybe some OVA?
>>
also if anybody really wants to research some firsthand accounts of stuff they might try ancient usenet and old SF mag and fanzine letters columns from back in the day
>>14289416
I'm not really addressing any particular run of the show on tv.
I'm talking about what I've seen dealers try and other indicators of what the perception of Robotech has been over time.
Also HG had VHS releases all over the place in the video stores I rented from, Blockbusters, mom and pops, it got around.
>>14289423
There's that Rumic crossover special.
And I remember an old fanfic juxtaposing A Christmas Carol and Carl Macek, and Yet To Come was showing how he combined MI and Ranma into one show.
>>
>>14289354
>It really all depends where you lived in the 80s. Firstly if you lived in a state that aired robotech and secondly what the other channels were airing in the same time slot.

That was true of any syndicated cartoon show. Even stuff like Ducktales wasn't on in every market. But if it was on in your area, there was a pretty good chance that was your first exposure to Macross, or maybe even anime in general.

Robotech was not the universal gateway to the East that some people claim, but it wasn't also this completely obscure show that didn't air anywhere. These arguments get mired in absolute black or white mentality.
>>
>>14289434
>I'm talking about what I've seen dealers try and other indicators of what the perception of Robotech has been over time.

IMO if you did see some kind of anime dealer who didn't know what anime or japanimation was and instead labeled everything "robotech" that's a bizarre anomaly.

In my area anime news was published in video gaming magazines so we never got any weird confusion like what you experienced.

>>14289450
> if it was on in your area, there was a pretty good chance that was your first exposure to Macross, or maybe even anime in general.

I don't think so. As pointed out earlier there was plenty of anime around, anime that actually credited the japanese. I'd already seen a dozen anime before robotech.

I don't see why you desperately cling to the belief that this one particular show that doesn't even acknowledge its japanese origins is somehow special and raised anime awareness, despite being preceeded by more popular anime, some of which had obvious japanese credits.
>>
>>14289416

The lease is the ability to renegotiate it then? Who do they even negotiate with? Big West?
>>
Even though I don't really like post-Plus Macross, I hope Kawamori is able to work something out with bringing Delta west. Is there anything stopping them from putting an English option on a Japanese streaming site though? HG isn't stupid enough to go after Big West/Bandai/Satelight itself.

>>14288412
It is pretty sad some anime fans immediately associate Macek with Robotech when his work in Streamline is far more impressive (even though I like some of the casting choices in Robotech, especially Tony Oliver and Dan Woren as not-Hikaru and Roy, you can really tell it was Macek's first time directing something) and had a far bigger impact on popularizing anime in the states, even if it was at the expense of pissing off fans who only wanted subs.
>>
>>14289470
>In my area anime news was published in video gaming magazines so we never got any weird confusion like what you experienced.
You seem to be thinking
a) EGM mid-late 90s SFC import-based anime nerding
b) comic dealers gave any fucks ever
>>
>>14289470
>I'd already seen a dozen anime before robotech.
on Toonami or back in 1985?
this is important
>>
>>14289470
>I don't see why you desperately cling to the belief that this one particular show that doesn't even acknowledge its japanese origins is somehow special and raised anime awareness, despite being preceeded by more popular anime, some of which had obvious japanese credits.

I didn't say anything like that. I did know that style of animation came from Japan because of other circumstances in my childhood. It was many people's first exposure to Macross. Not all, or most, but many. How can you argue that?

If you were growing up in some Bumblefuck area in the 80s', and didn't have cable, it may have also been your first exposure to anime. Maybe it wasn't! But it cvould have been. This is very conditional and not a controversial statement.
>>
>>14289473
Tatsunokos distrubiution rights for sdf macross never expire, harmony gold go to tatsunoko to renew their sublicense roughly every 8 years.

>>14289482
Before the 85 tv run. I'd already seen most of the shows linked in this thread earlier.
>>
>>14289489

Why do Tatsunoko even renew it? You'd imagine Satelight or someone would offer them more money at some point not to.
>>
>>14289513
Because HG own the trademark probably. tatsunoko wouldn't even be able to distribute sdf macross themselves in the usa without going through hg.

Tatsunokos license is almost useless without the trademark
>>
>>14289513
>Why do Tatsunoko even renew it? You'd imagine Satelight or someone would offer them more money at some point not to.

They might still be bitter about being stiffed on the bill for SDF Macross and Southern Cross. Or Big West may not think Tatsunoko is justified to hold the licence. International copyright is very complicated. If BW were to pay a fee to Tatsunoko, that might "prove" that Tatsunoko has a rightful claim. That's why it's also not as simple as "Satelight should just pay HG a royalty" because that would also be like admitting that HG is the owner.

Also worth mentioning that even assuming that BW has the resources to hire an army of lawyers, a lawsuit against HG would still be treacherous. Even though they are in the "right", if the case was lost it would be catastrophic. It's safer for them to exist in this grey area and make what they can domestically and from direct sales abroad.
>>
>>14289482
Things I saw before Robotech as a kid...
Mysterious Cities of Gold
Spartacus and the Sun Beneath the Sea
Belle and Sebastion
Tranzor Z
Battle of the Planets/G-Force
Voltron (Both Lion and Vehicle)
Ulysses 31 (though only on vaction in California)
>>
Using the waybackmachine you can see the court document showing when hg has renewed their license with tatsunoko. Hg have the license until 2021.

https://web.archive.org/web/20141231033918/http://www.courthousenews.com/2013/07/23/Transformers.pdf

>>14289584
spartacus was cool but I don't think it was anime.
>>
>>14289599
I thought it was a French/Japanese collaboration like Mysterious Cities of Gold and Ulysses 31.
>>
>>14289599
>spartacus was cool but I don't think it was anime.
It was French. Belle and Sebastion and Cities of Gold were French/Japanese co-productions.
>>
>>14289610
>I thought it was a French/Japanese collaboration like Mysterious Cities of Gold and Ulysses 31.
Sparticus looks French as hell.
>>
>>14289544
That could happen easily in the US. Being in the right does not secure a win. Remember that Georgi Sviridov heirs lost against Konami's lawyers when they sued MGS's composer for ripping Winter road (listen to that song and then the MGS main theme and go tell me it isn't a ripoff).
>>
>>14289679
>Remember that Georgi Sviridov heirs lost against Konami's lawyers when they sued MGS's composer for ripping Winter road

Konami won?? I assumed they lost because that first game doesn't get remastered like the others.
>>
>>14289249
But you included Ulysses 31, witch was made by french.
>>
robotechx
dot com
all
laughing
>>
File: ulysses.jpg (234 KB, 1391x995) Image search: [Google]
ulysses.jpg
234 KB, 1391x995
>>14289708
The french told them what to make but it's made in japan in the japanese style. Shoji kawamori and studio nue of macross fame did the mechanical designs.
>>
>>14289405
>There's a reason why Shout Factory ' releases mention power rangers
That sort of implies SF released super sentai in the west so it's allowed.
>>
So as someone who never fully understood what's going on. How is Harmony Gold able to block people from releasing Macross in the United States?
>>
>>14290216
>How is Harmony Gold able to block people from releasing Macross in the United States?

They filed an international trademark for Macross. The Japanese IP owners never registered it.
>>
>>14290234
Of course forgot to mention: It is possible to release Macross in the US, you would just have to pay HG a fee. There have been several releases of SDF Macross over the years, both subbed and dubbed. The catch is that for newer shows that HG does not have copyright for, to pay HG the trademark fee would be like admitting they are the rightful owners, which is a huge can of worms.
>>
>>14290248
And the "numerous releases" only goes up to 2001 when the global trademark for macross went up
>>
>>14288220
AT
>>
>>14290262
>Animeigo; DVD Release Date: September 9, 2003
>ADV Films; DVD Release Date: January 10, 2006
cool up to 2001
There was one before 2001 in the VHS Robotech Perfect Collection tapes
>>
>>14290216
Harmony Gold trademarked the word Macross so Kawamori couldn't bring Macross over to the west unless he pays Harmony Gold a fee to use the name. HG even attempted to trademark the name Macross twice in japan. They're scum.
>>
>>14290463
Is there a way for Kawamori to sue Harmony Gold and get the trademark from them?
>>
>>14290467
He could but it would be a drawn out case and expensive so I think he wouldn't want to bother. And with how fucked up US courts are would you want him to risk it? For all we know it could give HG rights to all of Macross and take the IP away from him and Big West.
>>
>>14289380

Not really. Ranma was later.

And Ranma was notable for being the first real anime brought over that they didn't try to hide was Japanese in anyway, with Japanese names culture and the fact that they were in Japan intact.

Also it was the first real example of Japanese anime wackiness with him changing gender that was brought over.
>>
>>14290475
>For all we know it could give HG rights to all of Macross and take the IP away from him and Big West.

I'm pretty sure HG tried that only to get laughed out of the courtroom and told it's impossible for them to take an IP away from the original company through international distribution channels because the law doesn't work that way in Japan.
>>
>>14290216
http://www.macrossworld.com/mwf/?showtopic=36541
>>
>>14290485
>And Ranma was notable for being the first real anime brought over that they didn't try to hide was Japanese in anyway, with Japanese names culture and the fact that they were in Japan intact.
>Also it was the first real example of Japanese anime wackiness with him changing gender that was brought over.

Off the top of my head, Animeigo had Uresei Yatsura and Kimagure Orange Road, both of which predated Ranma. I think Akira was before that as well, which had a theatrical release and the manga publushed by Marvel.
>>
>>14290485
>And Ranma was notable for being the first real anime brought over that they didn't try to hide was Japanese in anyway, with Japanese names culture and the fact that they were in Japan intact.
yeah nah
>>14290581
this
was Ranma even Viz's first release?
>>
>>14289477
I think the BD's will have English subs, like Frontier's.
>>
Pretty much.
>>
>>14290489
Yes but that was in japan, their home turf, now what would happen if they went after a jew in america? One of the jewest countries in the world?
>>
Delta WILL have official subtitles.

Frontier's re-release of the movies only had official subtitles (D-Shudista boxset). The tv series and first set of movies didn't.
>>
MAN...fuck Harmony Gold.

Is Frank Agrama fucking dead already?
>>
Can you fine gents of /m/ come up with a poster slogan to publicly mock HG?

If they're ever at a local convention I'm gonna sit in the audience (with the several other Robotech fans) and wave it in their faces.
>>
>>14288959

You've fucked up the difference between player and title. The player is yours, the content of the disc is a license. This is true for pretty much every country on paper even if the legalities aren't completely tested in court. Your license (and the second-hand market) is protected by first sale doctrine which allows you to do what you want with shit you own, but the nature of a digital world is eating away at that any way you want to look at it, hence why even though the EU kiiiind of has laws about how digital sales are subject to that doctrine very few services actually allow you to resell digital purchases. Companies are also at liberty to void your warranty for tampering with their shit for sure, but they can't exactly take it back, even if such a thing were practical unless you are literally renting the equipment which with most consumer electronics devices you aren't. The only time it's illegal to tamper with is if you're trying to break copy protection due to the terrible and broad wording of the Digital Millennium Copyright Act but there's been slow chipping away at that via exceptions made by other branches of the U.S. government.

The nature of copyright and copy protection is ugly yet nuanced.
>>
>>14290248
The main thing keeping the non-SDF shows from releasing outside of Japan is actually the songs that are sung in the shows, because for some fucking retarded reason the music labels or whatnot wants to charge insane fees for Planet Dance, etc., when the fact is that nobody outside of Japan knows those songs if they've never watched 7. And it just compounds from there because Frontier uses songs from 7 too, and it might get even worse as you go along (when Delta uses Frontier and 7 songs, etc.).

Kind of ironic that one of the biggest hurdles against popularizing Macross outside of Japan (outside of HG) is the idol aspect of the franchise.
>>
Someone redpill on what's going on here.

Not familiar with the Harmony Gold situation.
>>
>>14291110
How about you read the fucking thread? Someone already asked and was given an answer, >>14290216
>>
>>14290927
or, you could just go in, take a photo of their usually empty panel. leave, post the photo online and make fun of how empty the room is as always
>>
This is pretty hilarious
>>
>>14290894

Nope, he's 86
>>
>>14291133
He uses retard speak like _pill. You expect him to read?
>>
>>14291110
It's pretty simple ____________________________________________Kill yourself_____________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________
>>
>>14290927
You'd be the most autistic guy in the room, which is really saying something when you're at a Robotech panel.
>>
>>14288658
HG's actions are, apparently, legal and valid. That doesn't mean people have to like it though, of course.
>>
>>14290067
Because they have to pay royalties to Saban, dipshit.
>>
>>14288959
>You're only licensing it for personal use from the company and they can take it back at any time

No they can't. The reason a lot of media is being pushed to digital format is so they can do that in the future when all you're stuck with is just the license.
>>
>>14288692
You can officially support the show by buying merchandise from Japan while watching your downloaded versions. You just want a convenient excuse to make it look like you're pirating as a last resort and not because you're a fucking thief.
>>
>>14290234
>They filed an international trademark for Macross. The Japanese IP owners never registered it.

Big west did trademark macross plus in the 90's but they let it lapse.
>>
Harmony Gold is regularly vilified by Macross fans in the West because of the company’s "actions to block English-language Macross merchandise", but in the mid ’90s, both Macross II and Macross Plus were released by U.S. Renditions and Manga Entertainment in the U.S. without any interference from Harmony Gold. More recently, multiple versions of the original Macross have been released on DVD by AnimEigo and ADV Films, both with the involvement and approval of Harmony Gold.

The problem with foreign releases of Macross isn't HG, but Tatsunoko Pro. Over the last decade, Big West and Tatsunoko have duked it out in Japanese courts, a situation that has no doubt exacerbated the overseas rights issues, regardless of Harmony Gold’s involvement.

You people really should get your facts right.
>>
>>14291652
II and plus came out before hg trademarked macross. adv and animeigo both paid license fees to hg.

You're the one who needs to get their facts right. Fuck off and kill yourself.
>>
File: 1463260513241.jpg (15 KB, 375x305) Image search: [Google]
1463260513241.jpg
15 KB, 375x305
>>14291660
Please try to construct an intelligible argument before posting. You are coming off as a retarded child.
>>
>>14291676
0/10
>>
File: 1463310948349.gif (236 KB, 500x375) Image search: [Google]
1463310948349.gif
236 KB, 500x375
>>14291676
Yes, you are providing proof that HG is not blocking overseas releases. They have the rights so of course they're entitled to licensing fees.

Please do try to keep up.
>>
File: image.jpg (2 MB, 2592x1936) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
2 MB, 2592x1936
>he didn't buy the official releases 10 years ago
How to detect a bandwagoning newfag with misguided weeb rage
>>
>>14291694
Wow, you really are retarded.

Try actually reading the posts you're "arguing" with next time.
>>
>>14291696
>giving shekels to harmony gold. Twice. For the same show.
>only getting macross 10 years ago

You're the newfag, and a sucker apparently.
>>
>>14291696
>ADV SDF Vol. 7
FUCKING HOW, I CAN'T FIND THAT SHIT ANYWHERE
>>
>>14291685
They have the rights to the original Macross and not the sequels. They trademarked the name Macross to stop anyone else from making a deal with Big West. How stupid are you to defend this shit.
>>
>>14290467
>Fighting jews in their home turf
Anon, no.

>wanting to do anything with american copyright/trademark laws
>>
>>14291652
How about you post your sources then? If its true, it should be easy.
>>
>>14291696

Sup, Australia
>>
>>14291696
>ADV

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mNOptWysmZc
>>
>>14288235
Hate to burst your happy bubble but there are plenty of Robotech poofters on /m/.
>>
>>14291750
http://www.animenewsnetwork.com/news/2004-02-23/tatsunoko-wins-macross-lawsuit

This was big new and not exactly hard to google. Do your own research before crying out for everyone to spoonfeed you next time.

>>14291730
The point is that they're not BLOCKING releases. Yes they're collecting fees for the rights, but given how ADV and Animeigo paid them they clearly not some sort of exorbitant sum like what Yokoyama Mitsuteru's estate is doing with his stuff.

The reason why official foreign releases of Macross series get problematic is because the Japanese can't decide who owns the overseas distribution rights, which are tied to the rights to the original series.

http://srad.jp/story/04/02/13/2139247/

http://nomano.shiwaza.com/tnoma/blog/archives/000215.html

http://ameblo.jp/nobuchi2/entry-10900685673.html

http://yui1107.cocolog-nifty.com/blog/2010/08/post-0176.html

http://d.hatena.ne.jp/ronnor/20080329/1205249130

http://futalog.com/207374302.htm

>最高裁はスタジオぬえ側の上告を棄却する決定をし東京高裁判決が確定した

>この東京高裁判決は約1年前に/.Jのストーリーとなった東京地裁の判決を支持するもので物語の著作権はタツノコプロが持つが絵の著作権はスタジオぬえが持つということ

Even worse, the rights to different parts of the original are split between different companies (most notably: The story belongs Tatsunoko, and the art belongs to Nue) and given how they were fighting over the rights in court they aren't going to start working together to release stuff overseas anytime soon.
>>
>>14291783
Tatsunoko and Studio Nue have nothing to do with Frontier and Delta.
>>
>>14291555
I don't think many people can justify the ludicrous prices blu rays sold in Japan cost.
No show is worth 300+ USD at only 36 episodes. There is a reason why for better or for worse, we should be somewhat glad we have an anime industry that can get things released in the West for a fraction of the "butt fuck those NEET Otaku wallets" prices Japanese companies charge for domestic releases.
>>
>>14291555
>You can officially support the show by buying merchandise from Japan while watching your downloaded versions. You just want a convenient excuse to make it look like you're pirating as a last resort and not because you're a fucking thief.

Seriously. I know it sucks that we don't get official releases of most new stuff but you're not being denied it.

Maybe it's just my age talking but back in 80s and 90s we had to take what we could get and like it.

There are so many options these days, international shopping is easy as piss thanks to sites like AmiAMi or HLJ or whatever and anime is just a DL away and you can have episodes within seconds of release and yet we have people complain when they have the perfect means to get what they want AND stick it to the people they claim to hate.
>>
>>14291805

You can still by theArtbooks, CDs, Toys, Figures and various other merch. There are ways to support the series without buying the BDs.
>>
>>14291802
さらにタツノコプロは、『超時空要塞マクロスII -LOVERS AGAIN-』『マクロス7』『マクロスプラス』『マクロス ダイナマイト7』『マクロス ゼロ』などについて、同社の関与のないまま類似名称の作品が制作・販売されているとして、バンダイビジュアルやビックウエストを相手取り、名称の使用差止めと賠償を求める訴訟を起こした

Tatsunoko is claiming to own the Macross name itself.
>>
>>14291783
You really are an idiot. There's no confusion over who has what rights it's all pretty simple. The only thing stopping anyone releasing macross products in the usa is hgs trademark.

What hg are doing is extortion. Charging someone to use the name of something they didn't even create is a dick move and I suppor the japanese not supporting such behavior

All they need to do is subtitle the games and media and we'll import it personally.

>>14291812
Well that's 100% false as they clearly do not. Bigwest still keep putting out macross without tatsunokos interference.
>>
>>14291818
>There's no confusion
>100% false
The Japanese supreme courts have problems deciding and I'm pretty sure that they're a higher authority than you.

>>
>>14291827
Give it up retard those court cases were over 10 years ago so we're not impressed.

The court ruled Tatsunoko has international distribution and merchandising rights for sdf macross. bigwest has everything else. Simple. End of story.
>>
>>14291831
>The court ruled Tatsunoko has international distribution
Correct. Also

>さらにタツノコプロは、『超時空要塞マクロスII -LOVERS AGAIN-』『マクロス7』『マクロスプラス』『マクロス ダイナマイト7』『マクロス ゼロ』などについて、同社の関与のないまま類似名称の作品が制作・販売されているとして、バンダイビジュアルやビックウエストを相手取り、名称の使用差止めと賠償を求める訴訟を起こした

So Tatsunoko is the one blocking international releases.
>>
>>14291694
Because Robotech was the proof-of-concept that you didn't need to edit it down to sell it to an America audience. America's the world's third-largest country by population, the richest, and the biggest media market. France ain't shit by comparison. France is barely even half the size of Japan, while the US is twice as big as Japan and people there actually buy things.

That's why popularizing the concept in the US matters. Because you can take something made in Japan, buy it for cheap, translate it, do nothing else, and then sell it and make money. Doing a hackdub takes voice actors and scriptwriters, even if they're relatively cheap ones, and that cuts into profits. Straight translations are relatively easy and you can churn them out for less money, so if people will buy straight translations then that's what will be sold.

Selling anything in France will buy you maybe a box of peanuts if it's a huge hit. The shit that gets released in France NOW is usually translated from Japanese to English and then the English sub script is translated to French to save time and money. America is the gateway to international distribution. If it's profitable to sell it in America then it becomes profitable to sell it worldwide. If you can't make in America, then I hope you like your native country because you're never getting released anywhere else.

As much as everyone on 4chan likes to talk about, "lel mainstream normalfags who buy things like idiots, unlike use superior poorfags!" they are the ones who buy things, and shit only gets made because people buy it. Robotech is what proved that people will buy anime, as it is with minimal changes, and that paved the way for the "Japanimation" boom and the industry as it exists now. The era of everything getting released and publications existing entirely to cover anime only exists because Robotech proved that it was a viable business model to begin with.
>>
>>14288277
Robotech was the big breakthrough that gave the anime medium anything close to a semblance of recognition in mainstream, and got anime recognized. There are cases of anime before it becoming slightly popular or extremely popular in the case of Speed Racer, but they weren't recognized as anime. People thought they were just cartoons. People thought Speed Racer was fucking Hanna Barbera.

You're straight up wrong about Voltron, and though you didn't mention it, Star Blazers wasn't anywhere as popular as Robotech back in the day either.
>>
>>14291838
Only if you blame tatsunoko for hg's actions. Harmony gold sublicenses the rights from tatsunoko and hg are the ones who filed the trademark so actually it's hg who are in everyones way.

>Because Robotech was the proof-of-concept that you didn't need to edit it down to sell it to an America audience.
>proof-of-concept that you didn't need to edit it down

Sure if you ignore that they edited out the violence and nudity
>>
>>14291850
HG are only being a bunch of jews collecting money from people who want to release Macross overseas, but as ADV and Animeigo have showed, it's really a paltry sum and not a real problem.

The problem is that the Japanese are still fighting in courts over the different rights on how to use the Macross name because the original series was created in an age where the Japanese didn't fully understand copyright and IP, and so the rights are split between half a dozen different companies.
>>
>>14291856
>The problem is that the Japanese are still fighting in courts over the different rights

No they aren't you stupid cunt. Even the two court cases in the early 2000's had no effect on who owned what rights.
>>
>>14291861
Read

>>
File: Rick_Hunter_17_large.jpg (26 KB, 640x480) Image search: [Google]
Rick_Hunter_17_large.jpg
26 KB, 640x480
>>14291845

Well it's not even an issue of what it changed. For whatever people like to bitch about you CAN'T say Robotech talked down to the audience.

The consequences of war where real and big, People you liked died in ways that weren't always heroic and no one was sent to the shadow realm or some gay ass shit like that. There weren't blue and red lasers that never hit anything and there where no PSA's forced at the end about why you shouldn't lick light sockets.

The romance stayed a big deal and wasn't cut out because "boys don't like mushy stuff" and the music was still majorly important.

even fucking Voltron refused to kill off characters who died and monsters where now bloodless robots.

You may have had to been there at the time but it was kind of a big deal to see a comparatively more "mature" show when we're used to stuff like TMNT and other safe toy vehicle shows
>>
File: dead fucker.jpg (34 KB, 400x303) Image search: [Google]
dead fucker.jpg
34 KB, 400x303
>>14291850
>Sure if you ignore that they edited out the violence and nudity

There's no getting around the nudity as far as networks go but in terms of violence they really didn't edit that much. Really they may have cleaned up some blood but every one who died still died the same ways.

fuck if anything Robotech had a higher body count
>>
>>14291871
Wrong. Repeating a lie doesn't make it come true.
>>
File: historybook.jpg (135 KB, 720x525) Image search: [Google]
historybook.jpg
135 KB, 720x525
>>14291876

see you say that
>>
>>14291876
>http://srad.jp/story/04/02/13/2139247/

it clearly says 2004. This is pathetic. even for a fucking canadian.
>>
File: 1233932210022.jpg (89 KB, 525x600) Image search: [Google]
1233932210022.jpg
89 KB, 525x600
>>14291876
>japan are fighting over the macross name guys!
>hopes that if he posts links in japanese nobody will call his bullshit
>posts links from 2004 about a long dead court case like a fucking moron.
>>
>>14291880
Yes, the news that the rights were split between multiple companies is THAT old, so why are you arguing that it's not true

>>14291891
>dead
Those are the results of the court case. Are you retarded?
>>
File: 1463603348067.jpg (126 KB, 525x496) Image search: [Google]
1463603348067.jpg
126 KB, 525x496
>>14291891
>>14291880
>>14291877
>old court cases are invalid!
>>
File: 1462634516746.jpg (1 MB, 3840x2160) Image search: [Google]
1462634516746.jpg
1 MB, 3840x2160
>>14291896
>>14291896
>Claim the macross rights are currently disputed like a thoroughly incorrect idiot.
>Turns out they haven't been disputed for over 12 years and those court cases only confirmed what everyone already knew.

Have a you it's the only thing you're here for.
>>
>>14291807
Not to mention amazon.co.jp can ship BDs, books, and CDs overseas without too much problem and a better price.
>>
>>14291869
>Well it's not even an issue of what it changed. For whatever people like to bitch about you CAN'T say Robotech talked down to the audience.
Yes you can since it had that stupid narrator that explained everything happening on screen.
>>
>>14291910
Are you retarded? The court cases officially distributed rights for different parts of the franchise among different companies which means they have to work together to get stuff released overseas.
>>
>>14291980
Actually if you had any idea what you were talking about you'd know that no macross rights changed hands. Tats got to keep what they already had, bigwest kept what they already had, bigwest appealed the decision and lost.

Only two groups have macross rights. hg/tats have merch rights for SDF+DYRL and distribution license only for SDF. bigwest/nue have all copyrights and merch/dist rights for all macross properties worldwide, excluding sdf macross in most overseas markets.

The only unknown is who has the distribution rights for DYRL
>>
>>14292006
It's not that simple, the court case also established that the story and world setting goes to Tatsunoko and art goes to Nue. Sequels deriving from the original's setting (as of now, all of them) require approval from both to be released overseas.
>>
>>14292041
>the court case also established that the story and world setting goes to Tatsunoko
>Sequels deriving from the original's setting (as of now, all of them) require approval from both to be released overseas.

Where do you idiots come up with this nonsense? None of that happened.
>>
>>14292054
>この東京高裁判決は約1年前に/.Jのストーリーとなった東京地裁の判決を支持するもので物語の著作権はタツノコプロが持つが絵の著作権はスタジオぬえが持つということ
>>
>>14291259
I wouldn't say that. Based on the Japanese court case, as well as the fact that if you were a proper licensor you could show you have more cause to have access to those trademarks than HG, you could win. But it's such a risk none of the small localizers want to take the risk, and the big ones don't care because they're rolling in dough with poor dubs and decent licenses. Like Sentai.
>>
It is a very odd scenario.
Tatsunoko has signed a copyright waiver before selling it to HG, yet they still claim to have the rights to it dealing with Nue and BW.
>>
878 :
風の谷の名無しさん@実況は実況板で@無断転載は禁止 (ワッチョイ be8f-cKNg)
2016/05/06(金) 02:39:09.82 ID:CXHFCASn0
初代マクロスの現場凄かったらしいなw
メーターが血尿を出して倒れる、三話で作画崩壊w七話で瓦解

アフレコで絵が上がらない
アフレコで線画になる(台詞のタイミングのみ)
とうとう黒い画面だけ(台詞は台本でしかわからない)
クローディア(昔のび太の声優)が激怒
製作陣土下座w

900 :
風の谷の名無しさん@実況は実況板で@無断転載は禁止 (ワッチョイ 7da2-BLIF)
2016/05/06(金) 03:26:07.48 ID:IkV5SKOr0
>>878
第一の原因は、同日同時間帯に放送開始予定だった
「愛の戦士レインボーマン」の初回が万策尽き
マクロスにしわ寄せがきた事
このせいでマクロス初回放送は1話と2話を同時放送せざるを得なくなり、
制作スケジュール圧迫の原因になった
第二に元請けのタツノコが制作に非協力的だった事
石黒曰く、タツノコからしたら継子のマクロス
マクロスの制作協力をしてくれないタツノコとの喧嘩が絶えなかったらしい
板野曰く、スタープロからの助っ人を鍛えて使えるようにすると
タツノコがウラシマンの現場に引き抜いていく等々
そのマクロスを著作権放棄という契約でアメリカのハーモニーゴールドに二束三文で売却しながら
HPの自社作品の歴史にのうのうとマクロスを載せているタツノコはマジでクソ
このクソ契約のせいでマクロスは海外配信や海外展開が殆ど不可能

Fやデルタで過去のマクロスに興味持った人は初代TV版見るとき
映像レベルに関しては寛大な心を持って欲しい
>>
>>14292091
>>14292109
That doesn't say anything that supports what you're saying.

>tatsunoko doesn't like bigwest and won't co-operate with them

Everyone already knows that.
>>
It is not supporting anything because I am not that anon.
It just shows that Tatsunoko is a fucking stupid company for crashing the party since day one.
>>
>>14291783
I thought the actual restriction on Macross was the ridiculous cost of licensing music?
>>
>>14289275
I swear it was because so many truckers came through there, they would often drink it hours later and want it still warm.
>>
>>14292135
And they're the ones refusing to work with BW, which is why overseas releases are blocked.
>>
>>14289477
Agreed. Robotech was constructed only to get those shows on the air within the given parameters. And why should he have not taken the money to do something that, regardless of how we may feel due to the current circumstances, is a relatively decent story?

All of the Streamline stuff, however, from the Ghibli dubs (that we finally have access to all of, by the way), Lupin, Akira, and the long list of others, were all genuine attempts to localize the material so that it could be distributed in the west.

The enemy in the matter is HGUSA. Blindly accusing Macek of this or that is like accusing Matt Laurer for 9/11 -- He was there when it happened, but that's about it.
>>
>>14289683
The first game doesn't get remastered because, technically, the remake is the final version . . . unfortunately, Nintendo would have to be willing to get Twin Snakes on a non-Nintendo console for it to happen, and why would they let Konami do things . . . Konami usually does bad things when people let them do things.
>>
>>14290262
>>14290300
There's also the insanely shitty release they're currently doing (or announced in 2014 that they'd be doing, but I haven't seen it) that was announced to have both Robotech episodes and uncut SDF episodes on it.
>>
>>14292287
Nice disinformation bro. Brick and mortar stores can sell macross anywhere outside japan hg don't have the trademark like singapore and hong kong tatsunoko don't have any say in the matter.
>>
>>14292342
Brick and mortar stores can only sell SDF Macross related merchandise. Anything else is off limits. That's why Yamato toys said on their official english page that they cannot sell any of their Macross toylines in the US.
>>
>>14292353
You're obviously wrong again because they can and do sell whatever they want they're not restricted to SDF.

>Yamato toys said on their official english page that they cannot sell any of their Macross toylines in the US.

Trademark. it's always the trademark. Hg's license is only for Sdf toys.
>>
>>14292342
Those stores are parallel importing Japanese releases, they're not official overseas releases you brainless degenerate chink of a rice nigger.
>>
>>14292372
>chink of a rice nigger.
Not >>14292342, but I am saving this for later
>>
>>14292365
And Yamato made SDF toys and they still couldn't release them here. The only SDF toys sold in the west are toys made by companies HG themselves officially pay for hence the shitty Toynami toys.
>>
>>14292372
What does official release have to do with anything? Tatsunokos rights don't apply to "asian territories" and hg's trademark is only in germany, the usa and a handful of other countries.

>>14292382
What's that got to do with anything? Nobody is disputing tatsunoko and by extension harmony gold have the sdf toy rights in the usa. That license wouldn't let them block merchandise from anything after sdf so they trademarked the word 'across' and here we are.
>>
>>14291809
trying to cut back on other anime shit so i can buy Macross BDs and models. I'm going to be broke, but it'll be mostly worth it
>>
>>14291848
I see you misspelled ''Speed Racer' or 'Voltron'. Robotech didn't do jack shit for the mainstream comparatively.
>>
File: 1463543373047.jpg (261 KB, 900x785) Image search: [Google]
1463543373047.jpg
261 KB, 900x785
>>
>>14292423
Robotech was the big breakthrough that gave the anime medium anything close to a semblance of recognition in mainstream, and got anime recognized. There are cases of anime before it becoming slightly popular or extremely popular in the case of Speed Racer, but they weren't recognized as anime. People thought they were just cartoons. People thought Speed Racer was fucking Hanna Barbera.

You're straight up wrong about Voltron, and though you didn't mention it, Star Blazers wasn't anywhere as popular as Robotech back in the day either.
>>
>>14292440
>source, my ass
You don't have a single fucking source to back all of that shit up. You're just talking out of your ass.
>>
>>14292446
Man, you kids REALLY don't know what it was like back then, do you? I helped distribute VHS fansubs of Grendizer back in the day, I kind of remember what the whole anime scene was like in the 80's. Voltron was massively popular but only for a short while, it just fizzled out and didn't leave much of an impact on the anime industry (not pop culture in general, just the anime industry: It came too early, before people really knew what "anime" was). Starblazers was only popular on a niche level. Nobody even knew that Speed Racer was Japanese.
>>
>>14292454
Sure grandpa we'll just take your nostalgia biased account of things instead of just looking at how many sequels and pop culture references those other shows got.
>>
>>14292440
>>14292454
I remember this pasta from the last thread.
>>
>>14292464
>>
>>14292464
>sequels and pop culture references
Did you even read what I said? Voltron left no impact on the anime industry, and nobody even knew that Speed Racer wasn't American.

>>14292465
Copypasted my own post because it's the exact same thing happening again, stupid millennials shooting their mouths over things they're totally clueless about.
>>
>>14292467
>oh no he's not falling for my bullshit claims, better respond with a reaction image!
At least you're admitting you've lost the argument.
>>
>>14292468
What impact on the anime industry? The only impact Robotech could've had is to show why you shouldn't stitch together three unrelated shows into an incoherent mess.
>>
File: 1463240345433.png (110 KB, 336x522) Image search: [Google]
1463240345433.png
110 KB, 336x522
>>14292464
>>
>>14292472
Anime would never have become popular in the west, and then spread to other parts of the world, if it weren't for Robotech. Stop being such an ingrate and get your head out of your ass.

>>
>>14292475
>I thought they were just cartoons. I thought Speed Racer was fucking Hanna Barbera.
Fixed that for you. If anything Dragonball Z and Sailor Moon are what really made anime popular in the west. Robotech was barely a footnote.
>>
>>14292475
>People thought they were just cartoons
Wouldn't they think the same of Robotech considering HG did everything they could to remove evidence of it being Japanese?
>>
>>14292479
EVERYONE thought Voltron and Speed Racer were American cartoons you idiot, but Robotech was released at a time when anime was starting to get more attention after the cult hit of Star Blazers.

>>14292485
It was released AFTER we started getting fan magazines raising awareness on anime in general, while the others were released before. Robotech was the first "new" show that people actually went in knowing was originally Japanese.
Thread replies: 255
Thread images: 22

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.