[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
God I hate these kind of MCs. Sometimes it's done right
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /m/ - Mecha

Thread replies: 196
Thread images: 32
File: emotionless assholes.jpg (58 KB, 451x347) Image search: [Google]
emotionless assholes.jpg
58 KB, 451x347
God I hate these kind of MCs.

Sometimes it's done right and they get to balance the coldness with some emotion like Sousuke or Ledo but most of the time this kind of trope is annoying as fuck because I don't even get what they're going for. I feel like Setsuna's the only kind of MC that got this kind of character really right
>>
File: 1409987012965.jpg (57 KB, 720x480) Image search: [Google]
1409987012965.jpg
57 KB, 720x480
>>14268479
HEARD YOU TALKING SHIT
>>
I'd say Sousuke did it better than Setsuna, but other than that I agree.
>>
It's Chirico or bust OP
>>
>Setsuna
>right

Double kek
Under the kek
>>
>>14268491
People smile when good things happen.
>>
>>14268482
Chirico had emotions. Most of them were anger, but at least it was something.
>>
>>14268479
Alright lads, how do we fix Mikazuki to make him an interesting character?
>>
File: 1442972527211.jpg (49 KB, 720x480) Image search: [Google]
1442972527211.jpg
49 KB, 720x480
>>14268498
This. Chirico was stoic, but still showed emotion.
And when it was something other than anger it was usually cute as fuck
>>
>>14268506
Take his murder passion and turn into a boner.
>>
>>14268506
Actually have him do something with the realization he likes killing other than go "Oh, huh."

Alternatively actually use that fucked up dependence he had on Orga that was mentioned in like ep 2-3 but didn't show up again until the series was halfway over.
>>
>>14268515
This. Have him seperate from Orga for a few episodes or something. Then we get a nice little arc about Mikazuki learning how to act on his own and learn about independence. Or maybe you could have Orga ask Mikazuki to do something he finds questionable. Hence we get inner conflict. That may require radical story changes though.
>>
>>14268515
>>14268519
yeah this is what i wanted to see all season 1 but it never came
>>
>>14268506
Take him away from Orga.

He needs to spend like half the series away from Orga or listening to Orga or interacting with Orga (which is funny because they tended to not talk for notable lengths of episodes).

I don't like Heero at all, but at least he spends most of his time with different people and gains his own point of view from experiences
>>
>>14268479
Can you say the same after the Shoe, Shinji and Haruto?
MC like Egg and Mika is more than acceptable.
>>
>>14268531
That's for a completely different topic. I'm talking about those assholes up there

Shinji isn't a bad MC at all
>>
>>14268531
>Eggs
>acceptable

found the retard
>>
>>14268485
Sousuke wasn't emotionless. He was boiling with latent anger and fury at every chance he got. Just because he was a deadpan at school never meant that he didn't have screaming arguments.
>>
>>14268531
>>14268533
Shinji is a perfectly relatable character, knowing his issues with depression, anxiety and abandonment. He has strong feelings against his father but is conflicted in his forced role as a defender of humanity.
>>
>>14268533
>>14268541

Those assholes rarely whimmed or failed in their objectives.
If lack of the emotion is the price to be paid, I will accept the price.

Nothing is worse than a MC what no matter how he try hard but fails/fuck up everything and get desperate about it.
>>
>>14268479
Setsuna and Mikazuki are so not the same kind of character though.

Setsuna had plenty of emotion, but for most of the first arc he basically just floated between being incredibly driven (and fueled by anger), and his occasional nihilistic downswings. When the thrones showed up it fucked with his worldview and things started coming apart, he had to question if the corruption in the world wasn't spreading to CB as well. Ironically, the guy who said their is no god in the world suddenly had a crisis of faith. Next thing you know, Lockon's dead and half of CB is blown up. Second season he comes back just as angry and world-weary as before, but gradually starts to question if just living his whole life as an organized revenge spree is what he wants to do, starts to care about other people and calm down.

Mika is similar but more solidly a sociopath so far. While isn't entirely emotionless either, he's a whale of a lot closer - he's so completely desensitized to violence he doesn't care how much damage he does, and he shows little to no reaction to anything, no matter how extreme. He doesn't into social norms, he just does whatever seems like the thing to do in a given moment, often on impulse, but assigns no meaning to it later. The only cracks in his character are when he -very- briefly questions if he likes killing, when he's shocked by Biscuit's death, and disgusted by Carta for living. Each time he only kind of wobbles and goes right back to his smiling deafness to the world.

Heero or Trowa are still a third case, in that they're complete and utter stoics. They aren't sociopaths who walk all over social norms or seem to assign no value to the life they take, nor do they wander through life as smiley-faced killers, they just flat don't react to anything in any emotional way. They still respond physically (Trowa shedding tears, Heero laughing after the Aries get blown away in ep 1), but there's no actual emotional display to it.
>>
>>14268550
In my opinion that's just as bad as an MC who is just an emotionless asshole who's OP for reasons and rarely develops out of that state. Pic related but not /m/.
>>
>>14268549
>depression, anxiety and abandonment
That's exactly why I love Egg and Mika.
They lack it.

>>14268554
Oh, there are an anime that I watched just because people said he is like the Egg.
Also I liked him. He is a good Deus Ex Machina as MC.
>>
>>14268506
Do you remember that scene on the farm when he thought Gali ran over one of the lolis? Yeah that, always, and >>14268513 also >>14268523

If he was just some crazy fuck from Tekkadan who had a massive murder boner he would have jumped close to my favorite Gundam pilot.
>>
Everytime I think about Mika as a character it pisses me right the fuck off.

Personally I see a lot of potential in his character to develop in ways we haven't seen yet in Gundam but I'm confident come S2 he'll be spouting UNDERSTANDING or worse remain as Orga's right hand.

Just fuck my shit up
>>
File: Ali - Man of the Year.jpg (118 KB, 600x640) Image search: [Google]
Ali - Man of the Year.jpg
118 KB, 600x640
>>14268513
Make him obsessed with war like Prince Ali.
>>
>>14268562
So let me get this straight. You like them just because they're emotionless, indifferent soldiers who say absolutely nothing about anything and get plot armored through the show having no character faults?

Fucking really?
>>
File: it's fucked.jpg (25 KB, 391x366) Image search: [Google]
it's fucked.jpg
25 KB, 391x366
>>14268506
>>
>>14268585
Yeah. It's way more better than seeing an MC without an "crystal ball" to prevent trap-sins.
It's way more better to see an MC what does not fucking care about killing someone even if it is the first time killing someone.

To be more straight, an evil villain as MC and winning is the best MC I could imagine.
>>
>>14268562
So you like characters that are emotionless and boring for no real relatable reason, and hate characters where you can actually see where they are coming from?

Good talk buddy.
>>
>>14268601
I think you are honestly part of the problem and don't realize it
>>
>>14268601
What you describe is a cardboard cutout, not a character.
Mika could still not care about killing at all and still at least have multiple dimensions to his character. But he doesn't.
>>
>>14268585
>>14268605
Not everyone needs to have some ghastly problem to be fixed or have some complete change of heart upgrade in order to work well in a show, especially if it's an ensemble show. They can just be flawed and remain flawed the entire time, or gradually make more subtle development. It's still better than the tired old 'rawr I'm a civilian and I hate fighting, I'm just here for my friends, oh well now I'm at peace with being a soldier and pretty good at it actually' or 'rawr I'm a cold-blooded killer get out of my way, oh wait now I has a sad, better change my ways to UNDERSTANDING'.

Mika in particular is not that plot-armored - barely anyone takes any damage in IBO to begin with, and what deaths there are are usually from cockpit hits.
>>
>>14268531
I must be out of the loop, who the fuck is Egg?
>>
>>14268613
You're letting your justified hatred of boring cliche characters blind you from the fact that Mika is a boring character of a different kind.
>>
File: mika.jpg (55 KB, 1280x720) Image search: [Google]
mika.jpg
55 KB, 1280x720
>>14268493
Yes, and...?
>>
>>14268613
If a character is supposed to be a good guy they should have understandable character flaws, instead of just being shit characters like you want.
>>
>>14268580
>had the "what's up with him and Orga" theme to explore in fifty different ways
>could have explored a relationship with Atra because of how different he acted towards the bracelet than anything/anyone else
>could have gone NTR and went after Kudelia and learned about the whole world and shit
>could have explored his reaction to killing in the Gundam like when he was trembling that one time and discovered some humanity
>could have built conflict with Orga after the "who should I kill next" freak-out
>could have actually had trouble piloting sometimes or had a worthy rival
>could have introduced any number of other elements
Sasuga IBO
>>
>>14268614
MC of A/Z. Inaho...something. I don't know his full name.
>>
>>14268614
One of the guy in OP's pic.

>>14268622
I will need a loooooooooooooong time to get bored with this kind of character.
Because I got a decade with Shinji-esque MCs.
>>
>>14268613
>Mika in particular is not that plot-armored - barely anyone takes any damage in IBO to begin with, and what deaths there are are usually from cockpit hits.
Oh God i'm laughing. Tekkadan never took any damage except for some nameless fodder in the Brewers arc and those piloting shitty workers. Of course all the deaths are from cockpit hits since reactors dont blow up.

Even i could summarize Mika like you do. " Rawr i'm an orphan and i had it tough so i kill anyone without a care in the world but fuck you if you kill one of my friends, i'll kill you"
You may hate other character types for the emotional conflict they have but at least they have some kind of conflict going on. What you are describing is just as annoying as whinny characters if even more because it comes out as a static boring emotionless edgy character.
>>
>>14268640
I've never seen any character like Shinji. Have some attributes? Yes. But like him? No.
Maybe I don't watch enough anime but I'm going to need you to put forth some examples.
>>
>>14268531
>MC like Egg and Mika is more than acceptable
>way more better
Your poor English shows that you have little, if any, experience with actual books.
>>
>>14268642
The final episode where it was revealed where no one of importance died was the biggest "fuck you" I've seen in a long time.
Also Mikazuki literally doing the "pssh, right behind you" shit.
>>
>>14268614
A/Z's "good" MC. Completely unexpressive and autistic. Single handedly defeats physics defying MS with the power of common logic and wikipedia. No it's not cool.
Half the casts slobers over his dick for this while every single one of them being incompetent and when he's left for dead he comes back even more of a Gary Stu than before.
>>
>>14268613
You seem to be mistaking "basic human character development" for "whining"
>>
Nobody actually thinks this is a good character right? Right?

Like this is absolutely one of the worst MCs to ever exist in recent memory. Especially once he got that fucking eye
>>
>>14268653
Yeah, you are right. I have any experience in english books.

でも日本語のならちょっとはあるぜ?
Ou de português, se é que vale algo.
>>
To me the jury is still out on Mikazuki's character.

He is entertaining to watch sometimes but there isn't much to him.

Here hoping Season 2 will rectify that.
>>
>>14268680
Of course not.
At least i hope so. Slaine should have won.
>>
>>14268642
You're kidding, right?

First off, Tekkadan isn't Mika. Mika isn't all of Tekkadan. If we're talking Mika's flaws and you can only justify your viewpoint by describing the collective properties of his entire faction, that's pretty sad.

Second, let's review Mika's sterling record:
> Manages to one-hit cockpit-crush Orlis by surprise entry, bangs up a second who charges in impulsively, runs out of gas
> Gets styled on by Crank, including having his huge-ass mace parried by a tiny buckler, only wins when he's on his knees and surprise-cockpit-impales Crank with a hidden gimmick in the head of his ruined mace
> Crank still doesn't die from that, he has to be shot in the head by a handgun
> Bursts out of the shuttle in orbit to surprise point-blank-cannon one guy, then piledriver gimmick again to another, gets styled on by McGillis and Gaelio until Akihiro shows up, saves his ass, and they run away on the Isaribi
> Lafter flies circles around him until he gets a grapple line onto her and wrestles her down
> One-shots Pedro by surprise entry from a long-range booster
> Gets another couple cockpit stabs on the Brewers, meanwhile Masahiro takes Gusion's asteroid-pulverizing hammer to the gut and only dies (at length) because internal bleeding from a bent cockpit door
> Gaelio flies circles around Mika at Dort, can't do shit to him until he catches the lance in Barabtos's pistons, and then Gusion Reboke shows up to drive them off
> Rematch, does the same shit but this time with reactive armor specifically for the purpose, throws the lance back and Ein jumps in the way, somehow EIN DOESN'T DIE FROM BEING BISECTED
> Gets rushed by Carta's squad, manages to wing one in the shoulder while McGillis shoots/slices the rest, wrestles one down to Earth and has to jimmy the cockpit with the tip of the katana to gradually crush it
> Flips a mook over with the wrench, catches Carta's arms in the grip, Carta gets away
>>
>>14268743
> Wrenches a mook out-of-cockpit, spike-heels a second barely in cockpit, stands there while Carta keeps hobbling herself at him, STILL gets cockblocked by Gaelio, Carta somehow dies by osmosis from her suit being knocked around
> Gets cockblocked by Gaelio again at Edmonton, can't do shit to stop Ein until McGillis saves his ass, then gets smacked around by Ein until he pushes so deep into the AV he gives himself a stroke, surprise-chops Ein's arms, then basically lets Ein run into the katana

He never takes a super-weapon to the suit, and what durability Barbatos shows is also shown by pretty much every other suit in the show. Even the not-dying part is demonstrated by people in other factions. IBO has a lot of problems, man, but it's not plot armor if EVERYONE has it.
>>
File: 231.jpg (64 KB, 1280x720) Image search: [Google]
231.jpg
64 KB, 1280x720
>>14268479
If we want to compare Mika and Setsuna, it's fair to not go beyond S1 of 00.

What makes characters human? Human actions, behavior and desires. Setsuna was written to be a weirdo.
>I am Gundam
>obsession with calling everybody with their full name
>You are not Gundam
>It's 1 AM, let me ask you about God's existence while standing in the window if your bedroom
>We are all the Jesus Chri- I mean Gundam

Setsuna was at his most relatable when he was arguing with Marina about the situation/history of his homeland.
Aside from that, was he ever doing anything that was not related to CB shit or Gundam shit or Ali shit? It was long time since I watched 00, he had some time with Sai, but I remember it being more of a type "how do I learn to be like a human" thing than "let's be a human now".

We had seen Mikazuki working on a farm, we had seen Mikazuki stating his desire of having a decent peaceful farmer life, we had seen Mikazuki commenting people's cooking, we had seen Mikazuki having his dry sense of humor (commenting on a good look of beaten up Orga), we had seen Mikazuki kissing a girl he liked, we had seen Mikazuki enjoying competing in push-ups... I could go on, but anyway, all those were human actions and Mika had plenty of them.
Which makes him human, a person. Maybe not a passionate person, but a person nonetheless. Setsuna had his layers of deepness, but at no point he stopped being an animu character.

Just because Mika is generally reserved and doesn't have in-depth inner monologues about the nature of his world, it doesn't mean he has no character. Mikazuki wasn't cold or emotionless. He was reserved, that's his core trait. He doesn't buy anybody's bullshit (Orga never failed him). He sees things as they are. And he still had emotions.

But anyway, IBO's main character was Orga. Entire S1 is about Orga creating Tekkadan, leading Tekkadan and making Tekkadan a big thing.
>>
>>14268743
>If we're talking Mika's flaws and you can only justify your viewpoint by describing the collective properties of his entire faction, that's pretty sad.
The second paragraph is clearly only talking about Mika though.

You said that barely anyone in IBO takes damage. I provided a counter argument.
Even the list you posted proves that. Mika blazes through enemies barely taking damage while one shoting most enemies while never taking damage himself. Which is ironic since everyone uses the same armor. It's not like 0079 or Wing or 00 which the gundam pilots used better armor than the rest and tanked shots.
>Ein doesnt die from being bisected
He ends up being a torso in a fish tank. Even then he dies to Mika even when using the same number of AV as Mika and even more advanced while using a supeweapon based on them. Mika gets relatively scot free with only losing an eye and arm.
>>
>>14268798
> Mika blazes through enemies barely taking damage while one shoting most enemies while never taking damage himself. Which is ironic since everyone uses the same armor. It's not like 0079 or Wing or 00 which the gundam pilots used better armor than the rest and tanked shots.

But instead IBO's pilot are cyborgs and their piloting is more agile. That's how Mika avoids damage.
>>
>>14268550
It's a big fucking problem if them winning all the time makes the series boring and predictable. If they're mere existence lowers the quality and credibility of the show, then they're worse than any other character.

The problem with Inaho was that he did just that. Because he needed to stand out other characters were made incompetent so that they couldn't outshine him. His bullshit victories got old and boring really quick, and because he couldn't have human emotions he couldn't build up a believable relationship with him. He was a plot device and a bad one at that.
>>
Eggs is better than Mika.
Prove me wrong.

PROTIP: You can't
>>
>>14268824
I cant.
The same shit but i prefer Eggs' autism to Mika's "Ow the edge"
>>
>>14268808
And yet when actually taking damage that would kill their enemy when they've done they just graze it off
>>
>>14268824
That's like comparing a steaming pile of shit to lukewarm solid shit.
>>
>>14268839
Which one's which?
>>
>>14268824
OP here. My point is they are both shit
>>
>>14268837
Like?
>>
>>14268550
Fuck off Valvrager
>>
>>14268549
>>14268531
>>14268562
>>14268585
Kinda jumping into the conversation here but thought I should offer my $0.02

Eggs is a lot less emotionless than people say he is. He just internalizes a lot more and emotes a lot less. For example, he says "This is for my friend" as he makes his first Kataphract kill. Sure, it's very slight but Inaho is a counterpoint to Slaine who is borderline emo.

Mika, on the other hand, is crazy. He's utterly unempathic with a penchant for murder. No hesitation, just level the gun and shoot. Really, if he talked any more he'd either break character or scare the audience.

Haruto...it's hard to say what Haruto's deal was. He just didn't make enough of an impression on me. He was always reacting, never acting.

Now Shinji Ikari? That's a mess you could write an entire essay on. He's angsty, yes, but he's got reason to be angsty. His father basically threw him away like trash, his job causes him physical pain, he's only 14, and up until now nobody has given him the time of day. Shinji doesn't think he's worthless, he knows he's worthless and one of the reasons he never even tries to hook up with either Rei or Asuka is that the idea that any woman would want Shinji Ikari seems down right impossible.

So, does that make Shinji a good chracter? Fuck no. What makes a good character isn't what they suffer but how they handle their troubles. AND SHINJI NEVER FUCKING DEALS WITH HIS TROUBLES.

All good characters are defined with how they deal with problems. Chirico's life is hell but he sticks with it and savors the good times. Eggs stays ice cold no matter how bad it gets. Mika trusts in Orga's plans and his own instincts. Even Ichigo Kurosaki deals with his problems even if it's by basically hitting his head against a wall until he falls into a coma or Breaks the Wall Down.

Shinji deals with his problems by crying about them
>>
I enjoyed Mikazuki far more then Inaho.

At least Mika had a decent backstory for why he would be so stoic but Inaho didn't have that and asspulled every single battle. Also, Inaho had many interesting women surrounding him and a fun sister.
>>
>>14268845
Does it matter? They're both shit.
>>
>>14268860
Everything including Graze Ein
1st time VS Gaelio
Manhandled by Lafter roughly the same way he manhandled Carta
>>
>>14268854
>>14268839
>>14268828
>>14268824
Eggs has emotions, but he locks them down and focuses on what he can do at that moment. He's always calm and collected. People question why Inaho is always the one coming up with solutions but he's the only one calm and collected enough to think about what's trying to kill him and it's implications. Everyone else is too busy worrying about not dying.

Mika, on the other hand, is a psychopath. He kills without remorse and fights without fear. You really don't want him speaking because he'd be creepy as fuck.
>>
>>14268870
When a character internalizes shit so much that they actually need to tell what the character is feeling then as far as the viewer is concerned they're emotionless. Eggs was also doubled down on that by generally being unnecessary as a character.

Inaho is the way he is to be Slaine's counterpart but the problem is Slaine doesn't need one, and ignores Inaho'so existence 95% of the time.
>>
>>14268897
See >>14268903
>>
>>14268870
>All good characters are defined with how they deal with problems.
That's not what makes a character good. You could say it's what makes a good person but even that's not right because there are good persons that cant deal with their problems or persons that do deal with their problems that arent good.
I could list a bunch of shounen manga characters that deal with the problems by being complete fools, disregarding anyone and asspulling their way to victory with "MUH NAKAMA" and somehow solving them and getting a happy end. Heck, someone post that Every shounen manga ever gif.
>>
>>14268870
Shinji deals with his problems in the final episodes and EoE. That was the point of "OMEDETOU"
He was getting better too, up until the later half of the series where the world decided to collectively fuck him over. Crying about problems can still make for an interesting character if its used to explore why they are the way that they are.
>>
>>14268870
Good characters aren't defined by his they deal with their problems.
>>
>>14268870
But that's wrong. Shinji fits the bill of a tragic hero to the letter. Besides the initial (and totally understandable) reaction to 'Get in the fucking robot', Shinji doesn't act like a total bitch until EoE. Sometimes he makes selfish decisions but for the most part he is morally grounded and strives to do good. Finally he reaches a breaking point and collapses against the weight of the world. There's nothing bad about that. It isn't a situation he can reason or muscle through, and he reacts like a young boy would. His character is fine, but the story is not character-driven, so we're taken along for the ride in order to watch him fall into despair.

Which he eventually overcomes. So there is a happy ending with a moral message after all.
>>
>>14268893
>Graze One
I'm assuming you slept through the part where he tears down the extra armor of the 6th form so he has a clear shot at the cockpit.

I understand.

>Kimaris round 1
Mika catches the lance in the abdomen where those pistons are located it also destroys the Barbatos' thrusters but Guts shows up to help sell his HG.

>Lafter

He does get banged up but all she does is pepper him with her guns which ,outside of a point blank shot from the Barbatos' smoothbore cannon, might as well throw pebbles at the giant robot.
>>
>>14268925
>the story is not character-driven

But until the final arc the story is a teen sex comedy with vague secret illuminati shit way in the background

Teen sex comedies are always character driven
>>
>>14268808
Here's the thing though. As you say, everyone uses the same armor. The only thing differentiating a Gundam frame from a Graze is the Gundam has two reactors, and thus twice the power and durability. Most also have the old cockpits with the AV system and a pilot who can use it. AV lets an inexperienced character fight at roughly the level of a non-AV trained soldier by sheer reaction speed.

So why isn't he massacring Grazes by the dozen? He has twice the power, twice the durability, better raw reaction, he should be dicing them left and right yeah? Only he doesn't. He 1v1s them for long-ass spans. Out of the whole first season he has like 14 confirmed kills, most are Grazes he had to get the drop on somehow to beat, not things he could just lop in half. Things that turned aside his mace, his katana, even the odd Graze that took his cannon to the shoulder and lived. Exactly what blows did he sustain that didn't kill him that others took and died? Carta? Carta who magically starts spouting blood all over despite her entire cockpit being shown intact, starts flooding when the water she's in is hardly even high enough to reach her cockpit, and then up and dies for some magical unseen reason? The writing in IBO is pants-on-head retarded like that, and you're doing the depth of its ineptness a disservice by simplifying it as 'hurr MIka OP'.
>>
>>14269036
>implying Mika didn't just breach Carta's secret tomato juice and drinkable water stashes
>>
>>14269036
Two words

No seatbelt
>>
>>14268998
I'll backpedal a bit, actually. The story is 100% character driven in that it focuses on the characters. What I mean to say is that the characters themselves cannot advance the plot until the finale. Until then everyone is there to react to the things that happen in their own ways and we're supposed to observe it.
>>
>>14268913
Yelling a lot and hitting things harder Is a valid means of dealing with your problems. It's not a very smart way of doing thing but these characters don't come off as smart, do they?
>>
>>14268506
Easy. Have him realize that he's hurting Tekkadan. Like, have him realize just how he influences Orga to take more dangerous actions, and that now without Biscuit there's a lot more dead friends of his around. And when each one dies, he pushes Tekkadan into more dangerous territory, like a perpetual orphan-killing machine. Not to mention how his savagery combined with his "do anything to win" attitude starts hurting Kudelia's reputation due to her association.

Best I can see it, either it ends with Orga putting him down for the safety of everyone around him or Mika grows into a more proper soldier.
>>
>>14269036
Keep in mind that Tekkadan as a hole is often outnumbered three to one or even five to one in extreme cases. Mika can't focus on an individual enemy and beat him down, he's got to split his attention. Those that he does meet in prolonged duels are usually enemy aces, often with their own custom machines.

As for Carta? Spalling and shock, mostly. With impacts like that she would have been rattled around like a marble in a jar. We know the impacts were enough to deform nanolaminate armor and that her cockpit was breached enough that freshly melted water could not only leak in but pour in. At the same time, the camera stays nice and tight on Carta's face so we can't see what state her body is in.
>>
>>14269036
>So why isn't he massacring Grazes by the dozen? He has twice the power, twice the durability, better raw reaction, he should be dicing them left and right yeah? Only he doesn't. He 1v1s them for long-ass spans.

But he does. It's not as explicit because of the lack of explosions, and it might be more along the lines of "disabled" rather than killed (more due to technology limitations of the setting), but he singlehandedly massacred like 10 Grazes over the span of a few minutes during the Dort battle.
>>
>>14268479
I just want an anime about child soldiers operating sub-optimally in the mud, is that too much to ask?
>>
>>14269326
You're missing part of the point - HOW was water pouring in? This isn't some ambiguous thing, we were outright shown how her suit was laying. We know all too well where the cockpit is in a Graze. There's no way that much water should be getting into her cockpit from that position, much less for that much water to have gotten in already in the few seconds that were shown to elapse from when she first crashed into the lake to when the cut-in comes.
>>
>>14269036
Why would having an extra reactor equal 2x durability? Also, his suit is less advanced than the Graze technologically, so unless mankinds metallurgy and military armoring theory has stagnated, he'd also have inferior quality armor.
>>
>>14269810
At the rate the water is flowing, in the brief amount of time elapsed, how the HELL is she up to her neck in water? If it were flowing that fast, how did it not drown her before Gaelio got there?
>>
>>14269827
Air pocket maybe?
>>
>>14269827
Literally drowning in her own tears.
>>
>>14269832
But it's not in the water to begin with! You can clearly see the only parts in the water are the feet and ass. Only minutes before they showed the cockpit is in the top of the chest because they had her standing there.

If her cockpit was somehow knocked loose to be down in the water seperate, then why didn't Gaelio grab that?
>>
>>14269843
I mean like why does it matter dude?

She dies either way
>>
>>14269862
Because you can't argue the nature of one pilot's portrayal against a consistency of a universe's physics, if the universe itself is not only inconsistent but outright illogical.
>>
>>14269812
Haven't you heard? This universe's big armor thing is the paint-job being bullet-proof.
>>
>>14269933
Laser-proof you dolt. Bulletproof is SEED.
>>
File: greco-tricks.jpg (146 KB, 625x352) Image search: [Google]
greco-tricks.jpg
146 KB, 625x352
Mika kinda reminds me of Bellri in that he likes to shift responsibility of his actions onto others (i.e.Orga/Tekkadan). I hope he spends more time in S2 cut off from the group, or at least disagreeing with them to an extent so we can see what he's made of.
>>
>>14269965
No, bulletproof. Nano-laminate's thing is that the more ahab waves are saturating it, the more durable it becomes to impacts. The only way to damage shit is to chip away the paint with melee weapons or hope your rifle hits an unpainted area. Which is fine for Gjallerhorn because most people are using mobile workers at best.
>>
>>14268506
Give him a mask. Bitches love masks
>>
>>14269965
I love how people took the fact there's no beam weaponry in the setting as "NLA trumps all." Listen, if napalm was enough to burn the NLA off of ships, Barbie would be wrecked by beam weapons.
>>
File: 1463359771330.jpg (18 KB, 270x320) Image search: [Google]
1463359771330.jpg
18 KB, 270x320
>>14269997
Could've sworn that they had anti-beam coating/material, which was the reason nobody has beam weapons, though the armor could still be destroyed by a warships laser/napalm stuff. Can't seem to find any sources, so you may be right.
What I'm disappointed in is nobody strapped an Ahab reactor to a sword to make a gravity blade, because Ahab Reactors control gravity.
>>
>>14270054
It's more they never developed beam technology in this timeline.
>>
File: gun1511.jpg (39 KB, 604x339) Image search: [Google]
gun1511.jpg
39 KB, 604x339
>>14269988
Bellri has a lot more in common with fucking Kamille than Mika in that sense. He blames the people he kills for getting hit.
>It's not my fault you weren't quick enough to dodge it!

Mika just doesn't care nor pay attention and basically just pretends he's a gun.
>>
>>14270109
Bellri is most reminiscent of Uso in that regard.
>>
File: 1270321474686.jpg (31 KB, 640x480) Image search: [Google]
1270321474686.jpg
31 KB, 640x480
>>14270150
With the whole warning shots thing, yeah, but even Usso didn't reach the level of pure autistic murderblaming that Kamille had at the beginning of Zeta.
>>
>>14270190
>IT'S YOUR FAULT FOR BEING IN THE WAY OF MY SHOT
Y'know, technically he ain't wrong.
>>
File: accident.jpg (181 KB, 1600x900) Image search: [Google]
accident.jpg
181 KB, 1600x900
>>14270194
I'm pretty sure everyone he killed wasn't Nicol.
>>
>>14270212
>Nicol purposely jumped in front of the sword so he wouldn't have to witness Destiny
>>
File: PSX Graphics.gif (2 MB, 300x290) Image search: [Google]
PSX Graphics.gif
2 MB, 300x290
>>14270190
>Being a trash talker means you're autistic

I swear to god everything about these types of shows is autistic to you hypercritical twats.
>>
>>14270218
Reasonable
>>
File: 1376584573654.jpg (33 KB, 500x375) Image search: [Google]
1376584573654.jpg
33 KB, 500x375
>>14270254
>Shouting to yourself about how it's all their fault that you killed them every time you shoot a pilot down
>Trashtalking
>>
>>14270254
You can't be this stupid. He's not "trash talking", he's trying to convince himself that he didn't just murder another human being because he can't handle the fact that he did.
>>
>>14270190
To be fair, Uso's wasn't really murderblaming. He was literally just too confused over how much better than everyone else he was.
>>
>>14270303
That's what I meant. Usso just accidentally killed everything while Kamille and Bellri intentionally killed everything and then blamed their victims for it. With Usso there was at least a degree of guilt. It's worse when you consider the fact that Bellri fired his beam rifle at point blank range into the enemy's cockpit on numerous occasions.
>>
>>14270326
Muh Rayhunton codo. Plus the assault pack one kinda isn't his fault, and I don't think he even realised he killed someone
>>
>>14270299

Well, he does a very good job of killing people anyway despite his apparent protestations.
>>
>>14269223
So being an absolute retard that solves his problems through violence is a good character?
I doubt it.
>>
>>14270054
>>14270098
The setting has anti-beam paint on all of the mobile suits.

Whatever brand of beam weaponry the IBO universe has, it's likely not the Minovsky-brand type that the UC uses and as such doesn't behave the same way.
>>
>>14268971
>I'm assuming you slept through the part where he tears down the extra armor of the 6th form so he has a clear shot at the cockpit.
The least thing he could lose in that "final" battle was armor layers

>Mika catches the lance in the abdomen where those pistons are located it also destroys the Barbatos' thrusters but Guts shows up to help sell his HG.
Catching a big ass lance going at high speed using the suit's most fragile looking location should have broken Barbados in half.

>
He does get banged up but all she does is pepper him with her guns which ,outside of a point blank shot from the Barbatos' smoothbore cannon, might as well throw pebbles at the giant robot.
It doesnt matter if she shot him. He was thrashed around the same way he thrashes enemies around and kills them but he walks away like nothing

>I understand.
I see we started the insults. I see you are not willing to even consider doubting Mika's shity writing so this conversation is pretty much going nowhere. And honestly this is pissing me off.
>>
>>14270522
> IBO's setting has beam weaponry.

Gee, I would really like to see a source for this.
>>
>>14269810
>>14269827
Judging from the steam it looks like the snow was melting on her MS. In which case it's coming in from on top of the mobile suit as much as flooding in from below.

Then again, the water could have been coolant which makes sense considering how much damage that graze took. Modern nuclear reactors use pressurized water as coolant, after all.

As for Carta drowning? First, it's only a few minutes between we see the cockpit filling up with water and Gaelio picks up her mobile suit. Second, keep in mind that Carta Dies here. She very well could have drowned.
>>
>>14268784

Setsuna: I am Gundam.

Mikazuki: becomes a gundam through Allah's vagina.

Mikazuki wins.
>>
>>14268824

Eggs pilots no gundam.

Mikazuki pilots Barbaetos.

Eggs am cry
>>
>>14268784
I know what you mean. I'm still disapointed that Setsuna never really had a relationship with anyone, romantic or otherwise. Setsuna is basically an ideal in human skin. Which is awesome in a way but also not much of a person.
>>
>>14269223
And Shinji's way of solving his problems was either killing the shit out of things, or choosing not to kill the shit out of things when they were things he liked but getting forced to anyway because every major player in Evangelion wanted him to be thoroughly dicked. (Except possibly his mother, who was running one of the best gambits in /m/ history and set herself up in a no loss situation the minute the last Angel died). He only had problems when "kill the shit out of things" wasn't an option, like the fact that everyone around him was either a headcase, was a ridiculously minor character, or wanted to fuck with him (Gendo, SEELE, possibly Kaworu depending on the interpretation).

I can't really find myself disagreeing with most of Shinji's choices, taken from his perspective. Despite the difficulty of his job, he performs it fairly admirably until Leliel, at which point every Angel was either impossible to fight conventionally or he got dicked around with by something else (like his power running out at most half a minute before he finished Zereul for good.). The fact that he never did run away until after he was forced to take the life of one of his friends (yeah, Touji lived, but that was a matter of luck more than anything) says more about him than anything else.
>>
File: this makes no sense.webm (3 MB, 720x404) Image search: [Google]
this makes no sense.webm
3 MB, 720x404
>>14269843

IBO generally has problems translating what the script says needs to happen into something that is visually coherent.

Remember this scene? Watch it again to make sure. Because this action progression is bullshit.

Mika is holding the hammer and strikes. But then Crank cuts the shaft of the hammer with his axe. At this point, one of two things must be true: Mika was holding above the cut or below the cut.

If Mika was holding above the cut, he is still holding the hammer, just with a very short grip that's its not designed for. If below the cut, the head of the hammer drops and Mika is just holding a length of shaft connected to nothing.

But neither of those happens. The length of shaft goes flying away, which seems to imply that he cut below where Mika was holding the hammer, which isn't tactically very significant. Mika should still be holding the hammer, or at worst have been forced to drop it where he stands.

Instead, Mika jumps a large distance backwards... and picks up the hammer head for a surprise attack.

Which surprised me even more than it must have surprised Crank, because HOW THE FUCK DID IT GET ALL THE WAY BACK THERE? YOU WERE JUST HOLDING IT.

This is nonsense that breaks down the moment you look past the editing and try and visualize how this must have worked without the camera cutaway to the princess and Orga.
>>
>>14271730
Arguably, the head went flying with the shaft, just in a different direction.

This relies on the unstated action between cuts and it's not really good cinematography but it's not impossible.
>>
>>14272003
There's also that moment in the island battle where Rebake chops an axe at motionless Graze arm, making the arm... jerk upward high into the air? How does downward impact launch something upward?
>>
File: Chirico.png (409 KB, 639x482) Image search: [Google]
Chirico.png
409 KB, 639x482
>>14268510
>>
>>14272009
I think the axe blade hit pretty much right at the inner part of the elbow, so it's far from that hard to imagine the forearm+hand would be forced upward when separated with the the rest of the body.

You can test that by stretching out your arm, turning it so that the inner part of your elbow is facing straight up and then hitting the inner part of your elbow with a karate chop. What you'll see is that your arm will end up going upward, not downward.
>>
>>14268708
Slaine was even worse.
>>
>>14272009
The way that scene was handled just made it look like the graze was offering itself up for death. It stands perfectly still while the rebake gets its weapons ready to attack. The only decent fight I remember was the graze Kai vs the hyakurens. Most of the other fights were just mobiles suits flying into mikas mace
>>
>>14272087
Sup MAL
>>
File: 9IIUT7G.jpg (49 KB, 1280x720) Image search: [Google]
9IIUT7G.jpg
49 KB, 1280x720
>>14268493
Inaho is people confirmed.
>>
>>14268708
He was more fucking annoying in a different way.
>>
>Tfw VVV,A/Z and IBO will all be in the same SRW game together.
>>
>>14272323
Nah, they know not to concentrate the suck that highly.
>>
>>14272336
Seed/Seed destiny
>>
>>14272179
He's not people the AI was more human than him.
>>
>>14272336
They do it already with Nagaishit, though.
>>
>>14272347
>Nagaishit
>Reddit
>>
>>14272358
>t. MAL
>>
>>14272363
>>Reddit
>>
>>14272367
>>>/you/
>>
>>14272323
Add G-Reco to that list and it will be the best entry in awhile.
>>
Can Inaho defeat Chirico?
>>
>>14272370
>>>Reddit
>>
>>14272375
>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>
>>
>>14272375
>/m/
>>
>>14272197
No Slaine's main problem as a character was that they would never let him succeed in anything even when it made no logical sense for him to fail. The fact that that failure existed purely to pad out the story didn't help.
>>
>>14268680
Neo-/m/ thinks he's how all mecha protags should be.
>>
>>14272376
>>>>Reddit
>>
File: 1412371665205.gif (2 MB, 400x200) Image search: [Google]
1412371665205.gif
2 MB, 400x200
>>14272386
>>
>>14272373
Inaho only won his fights via plot shield, and having everyone else around him made incompetent so that he could look better. If he were to fight an actual decent pilot he'd most likely lose.
>>
>>14272390
>>>>>Reddit
>>
>>14272382
Most anon here actually consider him to be shit though.
>>
>>14268482
Well memed.
Chirico is definitely NOT this character. It's established early on that his "emotionlessness" is just a facade. Sure, he doesn't express himself much, but we get lots of access to his thoughts, which are very much not beep boop stoicism.
>>
Mamoru is Chirico done right
>>
>>14272807
Mamoru Oshii?
>>
>>14272382
>Neo-/m/ thinks he's how all mecha protags should be.
Fuck no
>>
File: leddit.jpg (40 KB, 320x320) Image search: [Google]
leddit.jpg
40 KB, 320x320
>>14272087
>>
File: 1457295052672.jpg (84 KB, 320x360) Image search: [Google]
1457295052672.jpg
84 KB, 320x360
It's an /m/ talks about character development and literary devices like anyone knows what they're talking about thread
>>
>>14272344
Hey, don't go moving goalposts on me now. Just because You can't read him doesn't mean Inaho is emotionless.
>>
>>14274586
Not moving goal posts the Analytical Engine was the one that tended showed emotion when it was in control not Eggs.

Eggs by himself had no emotion to the point where we actually needed another character to tell us what he was feeling.
>>
>>14272382
It's a welcome relief from the whiny brats you typically see.
>>
>>14274589
He smilled when good things happen as evident by>>14272179

By your own standards, Inaho is human.

Besides that, Inaho is merely unexpressive, not unemotional. Pay attention to his dialog mid episode 3. He openly admits he's scared but he directs that into being productive. At the end of episode three when he pulls the trigger and unloads into that enemy Kat, what does he say? "This is for my friend" He was angry when his friend died but kept it bottled up, focusing on what he can do rather than what happened.

Honestly, missing these cues is something the socially inept do.
>>
>>14272975
Some do. You pick up on things when you watch enough fiction. Like how negative the response to Mwu coming back in Destiny. People knew that it was bad writing even if they felt bad about Mwu's death.
>>
>>14268531
>>Can you say the same after the Shoe, Shinji and Haruto?
Absolutely.
>>
>>14274601
Which is after he gets the AI.

Because having split second frown is displaying obviously emotion. Again you have the story telling you what Inaho is feeling rather than showing you it.

If a character doesn't really display any real human reactions to the point that they come across as autistic at best and psychotic at worst, but with no reasoning as to why they are the way they are, isn't a normal person, and for all intents and purposes might as well have no emotion at all.

Are you Karice by any chance?
>>
>>14274592
Because having a character whose an emotionless psychopath is great.
>>
>>14274646
You didn't read my post, did you.

Typical
>>
>>14268479
Mika was just boring. I'd be more open to him being the way he was if they actually explored his character but instead he just felt like part of the background.
>>
>>14274646

As someone with autism, after the first few episodes I just sort of assumed Inaho had legit autism. Not the internet meme kind, but actual autism mixed with the hollywood stereotype of all autistics in fiction being really useful for whatever reason.

I realize they never confirmed that and he probably isn't, mostly because Japan is notoriously bad at portraying mental illness in general, but his character actually makes way more sense if you just assume he is undiagnosed autism.

When you are autistic, its not that you don't feel emotions. But if you want to be high-functioning, you have to be able to lock that shit down on command and to be constantly thinking about why you are feeling the way you do and comparing that to those around you. Otherwise you are an emotional timebomb ready to melt down because there are too many people in the walmart and you are overstimulated. Its not uncommon for this to result in autistics coming off as really closed off, guarded, and unexpressive. Because you get in the habit of putting all of your emotional responses under a goddamn review board before you let them out to make sure you don't offfend the shit out of someone or get too wound up about something that doesn't matter.
>>
>>14274677
>tfw HFA/Asperger's myself and managed to break out of the review board mentality only to develop a disgust towards people with ASD conditions

Well they do make it a point to emphasize the spectrum is not monolithic...
>>
>MAN I HATE THIS KIND OF PROTAGONIST ALL THEY DO IS CRY
>MAN I HATE THIS KIND OF PROTAGONIST THEY SHOW NO EMOTIONS
>>
>>14268479
> God I hate these kind of MCs.
Me too, I'd rather watch them being girls.

Remember Rinno no Lagrange? It was boring as hell and the second season sucked hairy balls, but overall it still was a pretty good watch because of girls as MCs and all that yuri.
>>
>>14268640
I don't think you understand who Shinji is.
>>
>>14274695
It was just shit.
>>
>>14274683

Congrats, man. How did you do it?

For me it was tabletop RPGs. Forced me to buff my social skills if I wanted to play my wizard games, and in the process roleplaying taught me how to pretend to be someone I wasn't. Usually something weird like an orc shaman or a dashing adventurer, but in this case a normal human bean.

I've been faking being a functioning member of society for years now. Its only occasionally deeply depressing when I am forced to confront the fact that all of my interpersonal relationships are based on a lie. The rest of the time, it seems to be working great!
>>
>>14274708
Increased social interaction.
Positive social interaction seems to really help.

Though, after graduation I've slowly degenerated into a hikki due to problems exacerbated but not fundamentally rooted in ASD. You can say the environment really makes or breaks it, positive feedback yields positive results and vice versa.
>>
>>14274672
I did maybe you just can't read.
>>
>>14268479
Why do they look so dead?
>>
>>14274677
Yeah it would be great if Inaho was autistic but the series was really just going for him being special and that's it. Which just made the lack of acknowledgment by other characters about his uncanny behavior really weird.
>>
>>14268581

Ali was 10/10
>>
>>14275039
Then why not respond to my examples about the 3rd episode? Why bring up the eyenaho from the second season?

My entire point is that he does show emotion and you're just bad at reading it.
>>
>>14275185
I did though? Again maybe you need to learn how to read.
>>
>>14274689
OP here. There is a middle ground.

And I like Shinji a lot even if he is an emotional wreck
>>
>>14275313
I was talking about Inaho's first Kat kill during episode 3, season one. He doesn't get the AI until season 2. I honestly don't know why you brought it up.
>>
>>14275040
One is autistic the other did a lot of shit off screen
>>
>>14275337
And I answered you again learn to read.
>>
>>14272378
His main problem is being a badly written character in a badly written show.
>>
File: 1405863114860.png (383 KB, 1280x720) Image search: [Google]
1405863114860.png
383 KB, 1280x720
>>14274646
>Which is after he gets the AI.
>>
File: 1445222864770.jpg (1 MB, 1920x2160) Image search: [Google]
1445222864770.jpg
1 MB, 1920x2160
>>14276156
Inaho smiles a lot.
>>
>>14275912
Bullshit, you made reference to the second season and then some general statements with no support.

pseudo-philosophical nonsense.
>>
>>14276131
Okay, but why was he badly written? Where did the writers go wrong?
>>
>>14268506
You don't really need to fix him. The issue is they built up a lot of stuff hinting that either something bad was gonna happen to Orga or he'd defect causing some sort of mental crisis within Mika since he's so reliant on him for everything he can't even decide on his own if the candy he just ate tasted good or not. All they need to do is follow up on that and he'd be great to watch but instead just like a lot of the other concepts IBO introduced during the first few episodes the show decides to just sit around with its thumb up its ass doing fuckall with it.
Thread replies: 196
Thread images: 32

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.