[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HzW IGFiGrlA WHY IS THIS ALLOWED?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /m/ - Mecha

Thread replies: 157
Thread images: 28
File: maxresdefault.jpg (56 KB, 1920x1080) Image search: [Google]
maxresdefault.jpg
56 KB, 1920x1080
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HzWIGFiGrlA

WHY IS THIS ALLOWED?
>>
I never watched Star Trek, whats wrong with it?
>>
FROM BEYOND
>>
>>14266156
Eh... Once again we're seeing more action than any elaborate morality plays. Personally I don't mind both but it's getting old.

Especially the Enterprise getting blown up again. If you blow up, or nearly total, the flagship of the Federation people are going to stop taking you seriously.
>>
Why were they allowed to make a good trailer that looks significantly better than the first one?
>>
That looks terrible.
>>
>>14266495
http://www.forbes.com/sites/scottmendelson/2016/05/21/the-sweeping-new-star-trek-beyond-trailer-is-one-for-the-trekkers/#50b7e71517c8

> First of all, and this needs to be said, trailers are not always designed to accurately represent the final finished film, but rather what studios want general audiences to think the film might be like. Second of all, we really need to remember that for movies of this scale, the so-called “hardcore” fans are the least important demographic. The 2009 Star Trek reboot was a hit because it looked like a rip-roaring sci-fi adventure movie that played well to general audiences and casual fans of the property.

> This superior second trailer, which furthers the sale that Star Trek is still a franchise to give a damn about, will be seen by the next two months’ worth of blockbuster-friendly moviegoers in front of the likes of X-Men: Apocalypse, Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles: Out of the Shadows, Warcraft, The Conjuring 2, Independence Day: Resurgence, and Ghostbusters. Will the third time be the $500 million+ charm for this revitalized franchise? We’ll find out, but it will be the general audiences, not the #NotMyStarTrek fanbase, that will decide its fate.
>>
>>14266587

Good.
>>
Looks exactly like what I'd expect after the last two. Action packed and nothing Star Trek about it except for the couple of elements taken directly from Star Trek 3.

I mean I like mindless action movies just fine but it pains me that they even pretend that this is Star Trek.
>>
>>14264769
>Beyond
Beyond what? Beyond their absolutely mediocre efforts in the last movie?
>>
>>14266587
>Warcraft
Fucking what
>>
>>14266784
what? you didn't know they Warcraft movie is done and is just waiting for its release next month?
>>
>>14266752
Let's be honest though - the original series was pretty campy. Some episodes were downright silly, and there were plenty that had fistfights and space battles with stiff miniatures.

Moreover, what might have been novel or 'groundbreaking' then has had 50 years to be parroted, explored, and expanded upon by others, and built further by successive series. It's kind of like Gundam - the original is still the most iconic, but it's also painfully spartan compared to what other shows, even its own successors, proceeded to do. And you've had multiple generations of people come up with those successors to the point that a lot of things have just been done already now.

You're just flat out not going to be able to put two-hour preachy morality plays in space and get a modern audience to spend gobs of money to see it. Nor are you going to wow a tech savvy generation with a World Of Tomorrow like you could the youth of 1966. That's entirely why Trek is dead on TV - it tried the soap opera route with DS9, the technobabble route with Voyager, and the retro space exploration route with Enterprise, none of them panned out.

There's just nowhere to go unless you let go and reinvent yourself.
>>
>>14264769
It sounds like they're going to try to get it a little closer to the exploration feeling that TOS had, at least for the first 20 minutes of the movie.

Are the villains the Gorn? I remember thinking that from the first trailer.

Is there anyone who doesn't love the aesthetic of modern Trek? It's so beautifully sleek.

What are the chances that the movie will be better than Into Darkness?
>>
>>14266784
Warcraft is a movie reboot of Warcraft: Orcs and Humans for PC. Basically, humans can fuck orcs and have babies.
>>
>>14266794
>ou're just flat out not going to be able to put two-hour preachy morality plays in space and get a modern audience to spend gobs of money to see it.
You weren't able to do that in the 1970s either. Remember Star Trek: The Motion Picture or Star Trek V: The Final Frontier?

The Abrams Trek movies are much more like the TNG movies, except a lot prettier, much smoother, and with younger actors.
>>
>>14266792
Amazing what you can miss. Looks pretty good, actually. It's based on WC1 right? Maybe I should go back and beat it because I don't remember shit.
>>
>>14266587
Forbes adored Twilight because it made boat loads of money. That's literally all they care about. To them, a movie may as well be a chair, or a shirt, or a can of soda. It's all just the same generic consumer good to them that can all be judged in the exact same way, namely by how much money it makes.
>>
File: 1448534564608.jpg (13 KB, 312x203) Image search: [Google]
1448534564608.jpg
13 KB, 312x203
>>14266809
yeah

I don't understand how anyone can really shit on these movies THAT much without having seen the classic movies. Every single one was hamfisted with a lot of stupid action. And I'm not even getting to the TNG movies.

Shows: morality plays, hammy acting, delicious
Movies: SPACE SPACE SPACE, hammy acting, different flavor
>>
>>14266587
>Second of all, we really need to remember that for movies of this scale, the so-called “hardcore” fans are the least important demographic.
Yeah, fuck the fans that made the series popular in the first place, right? I fucking hate hollywood.
>>
>>14266840
Even Star Trek II and Star Trek IV weren't just long sci-fi story arcs. II was basically a story about family and revenge, while IV was a romantic comedy about whales with some time travel. Compare that to the Guardian of Forever or the half-dozen
>this is Earth in the past seen from the 22nd Century on another planet
and you can really see how the TV series and the movies have very different tones despite sharing some subjects.
>>
>>14266872

grognards are cancer.
>>
>>14264769
So is this supposed to be based on somewhat the Search for Spock? The aliens kind of look like Remans, or whatever the hell they're called from that awful Nemesis movie.

I mean, they pretty much glossed over a whole movie with Kirk dying instead of Spock and then immediately fixing that in the same movie.
>>
>>14266495
>Especially the Enterprise getting blown up again. If you blow up, or nearly total, the flagship of the Federation people are going to stop taking you seriously.
Nevermind the audience. The poor ship has had its shit pushed in twice already, do they think destroying it is going to make us feel bad? On the contrary, it's like a mercy kill at this point. Just destroy it already, we don't care.
>>
>>14266872

When there isn't enough of them to make the kind of cash that'll float a movie in this day and age? Yea, pretty much. Not to mention that, as the article said, it's not for you, because, and I know this is a wild idea, a franchise doesn't always have to make the same thing for the same people. It can, occasionally, make stuff for a different audience or try and reach a new one instead of or as well as the old one. And there's not really anything wrong with that.
>>
File: sad dukat.jpg (67 KB, 694x530) Image search: [Google]
sad dukat.jpg
67 KB, 694x530
>>14264769

There's still the new TV series to look forward to right guys?

...right?
>>
>>14264769
I'm still gonna see it. At the very least the soundtrack is going to be top tier.
>>
>>14266184
>FROM BEYOND

the grave ?
>>
>>14267597
This, exactly. The 'fans who that made the series popular' were the ones in the 70s who gave it a cult following in syndication, enough to get a cartoon and eventually a string of movies. The ones that got it another series in the late 80s that's still so bankable it's in steady rotation. But those 'hardcore fans' didn't stop Enterprise from being aborted halfway through its run, or make Nemesis any less of an embarrassment at the box office. And now we're more than ten years later. If the 'hardcore' audience isn't big enough or passionate enough on its own to keep the franchise afloat, the franchise will look elsewhere.
>>
Still looks like crap but at least it's a better trailer than the first one.
>>
File: gkar.png (772 KB, 853x480) Image search: [Google]
gkar.png
772 KB, 853x480
Who are they up against? It's not the borg, and it's not a blue G'kar.

Is this how romulans look now or something? No wait, that was the first one.
>>
>>14267693
they look sorta like Jem Hadars
>>
>>14266587
>ghostbusters
That's going to be hilarious when it won't even make its advertisement budget back because it's a cynical cash grab by sony using a beloved franchise that they are using women as a shield.
>>
>>14267718

When advertising budgets can be 200 or 300 million that's not exactly damning in and of itself. Advertising is way out of control for Hollywood.
>>
>>14267718
they couldn't make the lighting budget back with that piece of shit
if the people who made Ghostbusters made a sequel that mostly sucked what hope would mortals, much less unfunny and boring mortals have?
>>
But Simon Pegg said don't let the trailer fool you.
>>
>>14267718
That's what's infuriating. The casuals finger-wagging that older fans just wanted to keep it a boy's club. Ningen, it ain't about boy's or girl's club and anyone who paid any lick of attention to the franchise would know there've been female ghostbusters before. Fuck, Ghostbusters Extreme was a goth girl, a black guy, a latino guy, and a white disabled guy, mentored by Janine and Egon. It was an SJW dream before there were SJWs.
>>
>>14267745
>AVGN and Comic Book Girl 19 shit on ghostbusters
>They basically have the same opinion on it
>Only AVGN gets chastised for it by the public

Life shouldn't be this hard.
>>
>>14267714
>>14267693
I was just about to suggest that, and it's what I thought when I saw the trailers. The Jem'hadar use fighters, also, and these appear to also. Could the timeline change have brought the Dominion early?
>>
>>14267757
I just find it hilarious that while most people say "Don't watch/play/listen something if you don't like it", James does exactly that and gets fucking screeched at, it wasn't even like he slammed it because it was all-female either.

These people can never be pleased.
>>
Just a reminder that if things had gone a bit differently, there'd have been no JJtrek reboot and this movie would've been the third in a trilogy about the Earth-Romulan War in the 22nd century.
>>
JJ LENS FLARE ABRAMS, THE MAN THAT RUINED STAR TREK & STAR WARS

NEVER FORGIVE, NEVER FORGET
>>
>>14264769

Because /m/ rules are lax.
>>
>>14267718
>>14267741
See, I was hoping that it was gonna be a continuation rather than a full on reboot. That the original Ghostbusters were retired from ghost busting and decided to franchise, and maybe we get a few cameos. But it looks like this is a full on remake.
>>
>>14267745
To be fair, the characters were written well in extreme ghostbusters and Garret was originally going to be some third wave feminist girl on crutches before the producers turned him into what we see now.
>>
>>14264769
Can we talk about NuKirk's bitchin new jacket?
>>
>>14264769
the environments looks really but the aliens are so fucking lay holy shit
>>
>>14267781
It's just a new gimmick to whore out the IP.
First we had sequels, then "modern" updates, then remakes, then reboots, and now we have reboots for girls.
>>
>>14267781

Well, in fairness, Ramis is dead. They weren't getting everyone back to begin with.
>>
>>14267693
>Who are they up against? It's not the borg, and it's not a blue G'kar.

Don't insult G'kar. He was one of the best written characters in all of televised science fiction.
Honestly I think Star Trek is dead. Dead and burried. Whatever ST Beyond is, is going to be so completely different from any other ST series that people (your joe six pack) will go "what the hell Paramount, what the fucking hell did you do to the franchise ?".
>>
File: oF5kMpE.jpg (3 MB, 3840x2900) Image search: [Google]
oF5kMpE.jpg
3 MB, 3840x2900
>>14268001
You're being autistic. I did in no way mean it as an insult.

That said, I no longer care about whether or not Star Trek is "dead". I wish I could be as much of a manchild as dorkly and eat everything, but I can't.

So I've given up. Pew pew lasers, here I come!
>>
Do you think they'll inject a Mary Sue into this Star Trek to honor JJ and his Mary Sue that was featured in the latest Star Wars film?

I mean it was a Star Trek Fan Fic writer that coined the term, only natural we go full circle.
>>
>enterprise gets wrecked
>again

seriously? get some new ideas.
>>
>>14268041
That's every movie, it's like a tradition.
>>
File: string enterprise.jpg (415 KB, 1600x1200) Image search: [Google]
string enterprise.jpg
415 KB, 1600x1200
>>14267761
beats the hell out of me
I fully expected the Borg to show up since they went out of their way to throw the Borg tech into Nero's ship, and there was that bald guy with the cyberimplant things on the bridge and the actor said he had some mysterious stuff or something.
I can easily see an exec saying "yeah I know you guys set up for the Borg, but let's do the Dominion because I need to look like I'm doing something".
>>14267781
I still want to know how Tenma San Ga Yuku fits into Sony's multilevel plans. I remember chatter back before 3 had officially announced it was shit that they were going to try TV and movie spinoffs and stuff, and Tenma San Ga Yuku seemed like a betatest of the idea.
>>14267819
like a mix of Ent jumpsuit, TNG Jacket Style, and the yellow/black of Freeza goon gear
>>14268007
for realz though Into Darkness was ass
>>
>>14267626
If Brian Fuller can keep the same vibe going in the writer's room as DS9 had, then hopefully it will be worth watching.
>>
>>14267986
Egon could have a statue.
>>
File: s-l1600.jpg (270 KB, 917x1068) Image search: [Google]
s-l1600.jpg
270 KB, 917x1068
>>14268225
yeah he did some decent enough DS9 and Voyager, and Nicholas "2, 4, 6" Meyer has some very well liked Trek under his belt
I think Trek should have gone fallow for a few years after FlareTrek3, but if we have to go right back into Prime then this seems about as good as we can hope for
>>14268234
Remaining 3: "Hey guys with Egon dead we really need to address passing the company on, not just the franchises"
Egon's Heir: "Grr I'm an asshole with a plan"
Remaining 3: "Oh no his asshole plan must be stopped, local franchise who we don't really know, help us save the company"
Local Franchise: "Oh wow we will now be introduced to the audience and learn from the Remaining 3 as they pass the torch".
There I just wrote a better Ghostbusters 3 in a minute.
>>
>>14268238
The most ironic thing about it is they aped the composition of the original team, but it's the version of the team with a blonde Egon.
>>
File: 1354785249283.jpg (316 KB, 1600x1200) Image search: [Google]
1354785249283.jpg
316 KB, 1600x1200
>>14266880
exactly.
>>
File: 1462650654334.jpg (36 KB, 640x432) Image search: [Google]
1462650654334.jpg
36 KB, 640x432
It looks fine. Better than the last two, anyway.

Stop complaining about the Enterprise getting fucked up, its just a spaceship.
>>
>>14267819
I like it. I love any crew uniform that looks semi-utilitarian/ruggedized

Having people wear their jackets open in ST was always a sign of good taste
>>
>>14268238
If only you lived in California instead of Florida
>>
File: ensign-ro-hd-098.jpg (284 KB, 1436x1080) Image search: [Google]
ensign-ro-hd-098.jpg
284 KB, 1436x1080
>>14268296
Pretty much.
>>
>>14268314
damn, I forgot how weird worf looks without his hair tied back
>>
Why do they even have spaceships in Star Trek anymore?

Scotty built a Transwarp Teleportation Device. You can beam your self practically anywhere in the Galaxy now.
>>
>>14268371

According to some io9 blogger, Pegg and Lin agreed that the instantaneous teleportation technology was bad for Star Trek so they're just going to ignore it from now on.
>>
>>14268371
Ships are better for hauling cargo, going to inhospitable places, providing a mobile base to operate out of when you're classifying nebulae or exploring planets that are unknown properties. Plus you know, it's better to creep up on a place knowing what you're getting into rather than poof into existence in the middle of a war or something.
>>
I don't mind the new Trek films. The older ones weren't anything mind blowing, and these new ones are just fun two hour action flicks. The writing is usually likable enough and I left the theater feeling satisfied after both '09 and Into Darkness. I'm a big Star Trek fan and I can enjoy this new interpretation. Don't really get what all the commotion is about.
>>
>>14268409
Because Star Trek has the potential to tell excellent stories and be an important part of the pop culture landscape, but instead they just had Spock beat Khan in the head with a pipe.

And Into Darkness wasn't even coherent.
>>
File: 1460831459789.jpg (37 KB, 640x480) Image search: [Google]
1460831459789.jpg
37 KB, 640x480
>>14267597
>as the article said, it's not for you
>Star Trek movie isn't for Star Trek fans
Hollywood apologists, everybody.
>>
>>14269127

> A franchise shouldn't ever try and attract new fans
> It should also never try anything different

I can green text too anon.
>>
>>14269152
If they outright say they don't want the old fans' attention why even bother making it an installment of a franchise?
Are new IPs officially against the law in Hollywood nowadays?
>>
>>14269161
"least important demographic" doesn't mean they're not wanted it just means you don't let an old noisy and shrinking minority dictate what you make.

Especially when those people have a fantasy version of Star Trek movies in their mind that never existed in the first place.
>>
>>14269161

They didn't though, they said that the old fans are the least important element of consideration to them. They like or want to use parts of the franchise to attract people who they think might like parts of it if given a new spin. They're not gonna let old expectations behold them in pursuit of it though. Which is fine. Corporate, but fine.
>>
So uh, is that an NX-class?
>>
>>14269178
Because it looks kinda similar anyway.
>>
>>14269191
Nah, it's the USS Franklin. What it looks like is an upgrade of the Loknar class from the old FASA game. What class it actually is we don't know yet.
>>
File: franklin-poster.jpg (1018 KB, 1447x658) Image search: [Google]
franklin-poster.jpg
1018 KB, 1447x658
>>14269198

Forgot the image.
>>
>>14268383
If that's true that's actually the best thing I've heard out of anyone involved in JJTrek.
>>
File: Batman Beyond.jpg (65 KB, 960x720) Image search: [Google]
Batman Beyond.jpg
65 KB, 960x720
Batman Beyond can beat up Star Trek Beyond.

Discuss.
>>
>>14269171
>>14269173
Least important demographic means that they don't give a shit about them. It puts them below "people we know won't actually pay to watch this." Abrams put it very well, it's for people who don't actually like Star Trek. And the people they brought in to replace him after he jumped ship? Proudly advertised as people who worked on Fast and Furious, because they know that the audience that they are targeting absolutely loved Fast and Furious.

The reality is, they use the franchise because it adds a bit of guaranteed attention and thus money, and the only concern in modern society is making as much money as possible.
>>
>>14267761
>>14267714
They only look like Jem'Hadar because they're blue reptiles. I figure, since they're reptilian and the trailer makes such a big deal about going into the unknown, they're the Gorn.

When are we going to get back to the whole Federation-Klingon war plot that's been foreshadowed for the last two movies?

Are they really going to have Scotty build a new Enterprise from the wreck of the old one that basically looks like an Akira-class starship?
>>
>>14269178
No, it's a Bonaventure-class.
>>
>>14269265
If they're Gorn, that's pretty pathetic. It's a sad day when a modern movie is even lazier when it comes to making aliens decently alien than original Star Trek. Giant lizard men? Nope, now they're just humans with face paint and a few bumps.
>>
>>14269265
It's not a salvaged or rebuilt Enterprise, it's an existing different ship called the USS Franklin.

Whether they find it and recover it or are reassigned to it after the Enterprise is lost I guess we don't know yet.
>>
File: CfTebUKUMAA43Y1.jpg large.jpg (80 KB, 600x450) Image search: [Google]
CfTebUKUMAA43Y1.jpg large.jpg
80 KB, 600x450
http://www.idigitaltimes.com/star-trek-beyond-plot-those-werent-jemhadar-new-movie-takes-cues-deep-space-nine-536015

> But now we finally know just why there are so many vaguely Jem’Hadar looking bros popping up in the Star Trek Beyond alien field guide. Slashfilm spoke with Star Trek Beyond makeup artist Joel Harlow, who said they came up with 50 new alien species to celebrate the 50th anniversary of Star Trek. The Star Trek universe is traditionally populated with far more humanoids than the Star Wars galaxy’s bestiary. So is it any surprise that several species overlap in appearance with the Jem’Hadar?
>>
>>14269286
Reminder that Abrams Trek won an academy award for best makeup for Spock's ears, beating out District 9 and the alien transformation.
>>
>>14269286
>>14269265
Didn't the Gorn say something in that episode they showed up in?
>>
Meanwhile:
> On Friday, Paramount held a Trek celebration on the studio lot in Los Angeles attended by Star Trek Beyond producer J.J. Abrams, director Justin Lin, stars Chris Pine (Kirk), Zachary Quinto (Spock), and Karl Urban (McCoy), and dozens and dozens of die-hard Trekkers. The wide-ranging event served multiple purposes: to ramp up the franchise’s 50th anniversary festivities; to hype the upcoming Beyond (including the launch of a new trailer); to dedicate a street on the lot to the late Leonard Nimoy.

> Abrams: “A few months back there was a fan movie, Axanar, that was getting made and there was a big lawsuit that happened between the studio and these fans, and Justin—and I need to tell the story because he probably wouldn’t—was sort of outraged by this as a longtime fan. We started talking about it and realized this was not an appropriate way to deal with the fans. The fans should be celebrating this thing.… Fans of Star Trek are all part of this world. So he went to the studio and pushed them to stop this lawsuit, and now, within the next few weeks, it will be announced this is going away, and that fans would be able to work on their project.”
>>
>>14269278
Was this confirmed? Because if they're pulling Animated Trek into this I've got to thumbs up.
>>
>>14269300
>not calling it USS Phoenix
>>
>Fear of death is illogical
>Unity is not your strength
>and every other oneliner

This is awful. Bravo. By far the worst written trailer I've seen
>>
>>14269333
those TOS remasters threw in some TAS ships iirc
>>
>>14269455
Really? Awesome. I'll have to dig those up.
>>
>>14269548
Off the top of my head I think they swapped the glowing nothing ion drive ship in Spock's Brain with whatever an ion ship looked like in TAS.

They're a lot better than you would expect for "they replaced the sfx with new cg".
>>
>>14269572
Glad to hear it!
>>
>>14268200
Got a whiff of SDF Macross there as well.
>>
File: Zap Ducat.jpg (192 KB, 694x530) Image search: [Google]
Zap Ducat.jpg
192 KB, 694x530
>>14266794
>>14266830
>>14267597
>>14269152
>>14269171
>>14269243
Don't forget the big fight Pegg had with the studio because they felt the script was "too star trek-y".

It makes sense, right? Because movies that embrace the tone and fans of the original (Star Wars, Marvel) are failing terribly.
Meanwhile, Generic action movie #8472 with semi-famous name tacked on (Fantastic 4, Hitman) is a guaranteed moneymaker, right?
>>
>>14269324
Justin Lin's alright.
>>
>>14269824

That would be a good argument if it wasn't already proven that rebooted Star Trek has drastically improved the popular reception of the series and it's money making ability

Into Darkness was literally the first Trek movie to be a world wide success.
>>
File: hold_it.png (11 KB, 253x189) Image search: [Google]
hold_it.png
11 KB, 253x189
>>14269824
>Star Wars ... failing terribly.
You wot. There's as much hardcore fan hate as you can expect from any new product in a long-running franchise, but the Force Wakes Up is a very successful movie. I sure hope you aren't basing your judgement on how _fans_ react. Fans hate everything.
Which is why I hate new Star Trek.
>>
>>14269824
>>14270261
And then I re-read your post and this time picked up on the obvious sarcasm.

Disgregard me, I suck Cardassian cocks.
>>
At least it doesn't look like The Trek and The Furious anymore.
>>
File: 1448873736873.png (143 KB, 407x313) Image search: [Google]
1448873736873.png
143 KB, 407x313
>>14264769
>WHOOOOMP
Orange and teal
>WHOOOOMP
Actors gruffly whispering at each other
>WHOOOOMP
Choir singing

THIS SEASON.

MOVIE.

Who knows, could be good, but man have I grown tired of these generic trailers. At least the Warcraft dubstep trailer tried something different, even if it failed completely.
>>
>>14269300
Five Space Communist Federation Credits says Kirk and crew steal it from Star Fleet to go back and rescue the remaining Enterprise crew. That it won't be cannon fodder because it will have been built using tech from the USS Vengeance.
>>
>>14269824
Honestly I wish F4 didn't suck so much, I really liked the Cronenberg angle they were going with but it's like small nuggets of gold embedded deep within shitheap mountain.
>>
Meanwhile.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O8QClFbROf4
>>
File: Turist_Ömer_Uzay_Yolunda.jpg (103 KB, 505x756) Image search: [Google]
Turist_Ömer_Uzay_Yolunda.jpg
103 KB, 505x756
Turkish Star Trek > youtube reviews
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rc3CfHfNmXg
>>
File: star-trek-cap.jpg (177 KB, 612x380) Image search: [Google]
star-trek-cap.jpg
177 KB, 612x380
And while we're at it, EW has an interesting article series on the movies going.

http://www.ew.com/article/2016/04/29/star-trek-motion-picture-geekly
http://www.ew.com/article/2016/05/06/star-trek-ii-wrath-khan-geekly
http://www.ew.com/article/2016/05/13/star-trek-iii-search-spock-leonard-nimoy-william-shatner
http://www.ew.com/article/2016/05/20/star-trek-iv-voyage-home-leonard-nimoy
>>
I don't get why people dislike the new Star Trek for not being close enough to the original. Wasn't the plotline of 2009 that it took place in an alternate universe? Of course it would be different.
There are plenty of valid complaints but I don't feel that not being like the TV show is one of them.
>>
>>14271948
Yeah but then the next film is shamelessly a reimagining of Wrath of Khan so you get those mixed signals of "timeline completely derailed from the original sequence of events" meets "timeline required to honor certain inescapable cosmic constants and other arbitrary cases of unoriginality."
>>
>>14271948
I just don't like it because it's badly done.
>>
File: Star-Trek-Nemesis-LB-1.jpg (45 KB, 1024x341) Image search: [Google]
Star-Trek-Nemesis-LB-1.jpg
45 KB, 1024x341
>>14271948
I get why they complain, since Star Trek, at its best, is a pretty intelligent show while the new movies are a dumb shlock fest that does not aspire to be anything but basic, yet effective entertainment. Nothing wrong with that, you just don't need the Star Trek license for that. But yeah, brand recognition, movies are a business, whatever.

I just don't know what they expected after the TNG movies.
>>
File: Spock-28-Sulu-Jacket-better.png (595 KB, 1052x444) Image search: [Google]
Spock-28-Sulu-Jacket-better.png
595 KB, 1052x444
>>14271935
I had almost forgotten about Sulu's fly-ass leather collection.
>>
>>14269324
based
>>
>>14271971
i think everyone including Abrams has stated that Into Darkness was a mistake

Honestly just the intro of 2009 trek was good enough to give me hope for anything
>>
>>14269324
That lawsuit was probably initiated in the first place so they could then drop it and have one of the people involved with the new film play the hero. Just in time for the big event.
>>
>>14272032
Possibly, although I don't think the production team behind Axanar did themselves much of a favor with the coffee merchandise.
>>
>>14272032

No, actually, you can't just take somebodies IP and use it/profit off it as you like
>>
>>14269824

> It makes sense, right? Because movies that embrace the tone and fans of the original (Star Wars, Marvel) are failing terribly.

Let me just puncture your sarcasm a minute to merino you that the Abrams Trek films made more than all the other Trek films put together. They all had much smaller budgets, but they still haven't made any real bank since the late 80's even weighing profit against budget.

The Next Generation films all did pretty poorly, despite it being a beloved series with a lot if fans. There's no point crying about how they're not embracing the fans when stuff written for them using the original cast barely sold. Four separate times.
>>
>>14272138
>>14272816
yeah Paramount has a pretty reasonable line they drew a while ago
"don't make money off of it"
and a million dollars is making money even if you're ebegging
>>
>>14272894
I don't think the crowdfunding was ever the issue. I am fairly certain other fan films did the same with no interference from Paramount or CBS.

The issue with Axanar seems to be with the production selling unlicensed merchandise and paying themselves a salary.
>>
>>14269207
that is a god damn NX!
>>
Why does it seem like Spock is barely in this movie at all? Are they killing him off?
>>
>>14268383
Honestly, despite its flaws and insane episodes, I rather liked the absurdity of Voyager. The Doctor is easily the best character, and the almost surrealist plots make it extremely entertaining to watch. It's kind of telling that the 'mirror universe' episode was about as normal as all the other episodes up to that point, what with the path of destruction Janeway was carving through the Delta Quadrant.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PIGxMENwq1k
>>
>>14267819
It IS pretty bitchin'.
>>
>>14268371
You still need to know WHERE you're beaming too. Can't explore without ships.

BTW, beaming tech like this has existed since TNG (real time) or ENT (show time)
>>
>>14264769
All I care about is if that's a motherfucking NX that shows up.
>>
>>14275332
nigga that's a franklin class, fuck the NX-01
>>
>talks bad about people liking the star wars prequels
>is writer for the new star trek movie
Oh Simon, you silly goose.
>>
>>14275353
its a ship based off the NX then!
>>
It's always The Original Series. They could've easily had done a movie about the Earth-Romulan War or even the Typhon Pact, but instead Abbrams does this quantum timeline shit.

Enterprise was my 1st Trek series back when I was 9. Unlike fanboys, I had an open mind since I never experienced a Trek series before. I really enjoyed Seasons 3 and 4.

Then I saw DS9 which was fucking amazing. The Dominion, how the Feds sold out the colonists who would later become the Maquis, Section 31, and the whole espionage nest that DS9 was. I tried watching TOS but the acting and scripts were too hokey; the movies, on the other hand, were much better.

Next Gen is something I've been trying to finish, but only a handful of episodes each season stand out. Usually, the 2-parters are the best like Best of Both Worlds, Unification, Redemption. Though I really liked stand-out ones like The Inner Light and Yesterday's Enterprise.

Voyager...how can I even begin with this series...
The Maquis and Voyager's crew seamlessly integrate after a season instead of constantly bickering and mistrusting one another which is what SHOULD have happened up until Season 3 when they find out the Borg are nearby. And what they did to the Borg Collective was unforgivable. In TNG, the Borg were terrifying as fuck. They were this unstoppable force of mechanical efficiency that would put Skynet and the Sentinels to shame. I'm half-way through Season 6 and I don't feel the urge to continue this series anymore.
Like Next Gen, Voyager's best eps are usually the 2-parters. Equinox is probably my favorite because I really felt bad for Ransom and his crew. They didn't have plot armor like Janeway and Voyager did. Why the fuck didn't the showrunners make Voyager like this instead? WAY more believable than Voyager's pristine cruise in comparison.

Fuck Hollywood and its lack of creativity. Actually take a risk like they did with Next Gen and DS9.
>>
>>14267761
If the 23rd century Feds met the Dominion, they'd be uber-fucked. Even with the advances they've made from the scans from the Narada, they're in no shape to slug it out with Dominion battle-cruisers. And there's no Klingon alliance yet and good luck trying to bring in the Romulans.

In fact, this reminds me of that alternate universe novel A Gutted World, in which the Cardassians never left Bajor and discovered the wormhole to the Gamma Quadrant. They became allied with the Dominion so that they can covertly sabotage the Fed, Romulan, and Klingon leadership for conquest.
>>
>>14269207
God, everything about this design hurts to look at.
>>
>>14276886
They did TOS because normal people are familiar with TOS from pop culture osmosis. Look at how the characters are written. They're basically boiled down to their meme forms. Kirk is a dumb womanizer, more akin to Zapp Brannigan from Futurama. Spock occasionally says stuff about logic. McCoy says "Dammit Jim, I'm a doctor, not a ___" and that's about it. They probably decided to remake Wrath of Khan simply because everyone knows the "KHAAAAN" yell.
>>
>>14277078
You see, I wouldn't mind if they did their own spin, but Into Darkness was a shitty rehash of Wrath of Khan.

You'd think that more people would be familiar with Next Gen, DS9, Voyager, and Enterprise since they ran from 1987 to 2005. That's way more episodes and seasons than TOS. The only thing TOS has the edge on is more movies. Speaking of which, it pisses me off we never got a DS9 movie about the Dominion War's campaigns.

Fuck Abbrams. That dude is living off of his Lost cred too much.
>>
>>14276886
How was Next Generation a risk? New ship, new crew, but the same plots for the first season and a half. It was by the books Star Trek and even once it formed it's own identitity it hadn't changed that much.
>>
File: star-trek.jpg (49 KB, 635x357) Image search: [Google]
star-trek.jpg
49 KB, 635x357
http://observer.com/2016/05/a-millenial-reviews-star-trek-is-a-blatant-boring-rip-off-of-star-wars/

I don't know what's making me cringe harder - how tryhard a satire this is, or how bitingly true parts of it are.
>>
>>14277123
That's what I mean about osmosis. They didn't actually watch any of those shows, they just know the references from other things. And the people making the references probably grew up on TOS.
>>
>>14277155
The Original Series was cancelled after 3 seasons. The movies brought them back to the public consciousness after a hiatus of 10 years though there was that cartoon in 1973 and that Phase II attempt.

People don't like new things; especially fanboys. Next Gen was successful because there was a whole new generation of viewers to experience the Trekverse instead of being weighed down by nostalgia.

Even though Next Gen seemed like a rehash of TOS, they did some good episodes that broached issues far more than the 60's era like The Drumhead and The Measure of a Man. Next Gen had far better acting and direction once it got its stride by the end of season 2/early season 3.
>>
>>14277155
Where we stand now it's a lot easier to put TNG close to TOS on the Trek Spectrum, but back in the day the world's experience of Trek was TOS, TAS, some books and shit, and the movies through 4.

It was really a big deal of how it was equal parts SAME OLD SHIT and NEW STUPID AND WRONG when it came out of the gate.

I think there's at least some scans of starlog and similar reviews with a basic "wtf is this shit" reaction.

And S1 is like, G-Rod levels far beyond what we'd seen so far.
>>
>>14277252
My biggest gripe with the 60's series was how human-centric it was. Humans are these special snowflakes compared to countless other species who've been far more advanced than Earth for centuries or even millennia. Especially that episode that extols the US Constitution for that alien race.

Next Gen, DS9, and Voyager gave non-humans a vital role and even criticized how presumptuous Earth was from time to time.
>>
>>14277208
Pretty much like Gundam - a lot of anons haven't seen much if any of it, but everyone around here knows Char came to laugh at you or Amuro should get in the Gundamu or three times faster or the Big Zam will be mass produced.
>>
>>14277299
I gave up on Gundam after Destiny pissed the ever-living fuck out of me. Is 00 or T-Bolts worth watching?
>>
>>14277301
Thunderbolt is at least short. And not that bad.

00... it's not so so bad the first season, it plays closer to real-world political blocks. But japs complained it wasn't 'Gundam' enough so S2 goes full retard with not!Titans and not!Jovians.
>>
>>14277123
I don't mind that they did Khan, I minded that they botched it. And it wasn't even by much, really.

I'd have been fine if Cumberbatch really had been "John Harrison". Why not have them wake up a different guy instead of Khan him turn out to be just as much of a problem since they're all super human tyrants?

And the Kirk death needed to have stuck until the next movie or not be done at all.
>>
>>14277123
Not just Wrath of Khan, but the initial TOS Khan meeting never happened. So they had less to fabricate the fury of Khan's loss. Just real lack of context for anyone.
>>
>>14277312
>japs complained it wasn't 'Gundam' enough
And yet IBO is?

I hate the shitty taste of Japanese otaku.
>>
>>14277474
It's one of those things that keeps happening. Any time they try to really branch out and do something new the japs complain 'not muh Gundam'. Which in a franchse that's become so thoroughly anthology as Gundam, is nonsensical.

It's kind of a bitter irony. Trek clings so tightly to older entries it crushes them to death when it tries to update them, while fans are asking for new entries and new stories. Gundam regularly tries to do something new and crazy (and often stupid) and it blows up in their face because they apparently weren't clinging tightly enough.
>>
>>14277474

It's the "It's not Gundam enough, make it more Gundam" > "It's more of the same old shit, make it something new and different!" > "It's not Gundam enough, make it more Gundam" endless loop
>>
>>14277506
> Trek clings so tightly to older entries
Guess you mean the creative holders?
>while fans are asking for new entries and new stories.
Trek fans usually hate any new Trek. Then if it gets good it grows on them. Poor ENT couldn't hold it's ground when it started to feel itself out. I rather not imagine a new Trek series. These movies can do what they want.
>>
>>14277289
I kind of understand why it was that way, considering the time and expense it took for anything that was more than a pair of prosthetic ears.
>>
>>14277566
No ENT suffered because the had Berman and Braga in charge and they ran out of new ideas back in TNG. Enterprise is generally considerd as improving alot after they got replaced.

Of course you then had them brought back for some insane reason for the last episode and they gave us something so bad it almost beat the "Phlox n Archer commit genocide" episode.
>>
>>14277566
at least we get Daniles in the next Star Trek Online expansion.
>>
>>14266587
I wish

But let's face reality
ST:Beyond just won't be anything other than a loud action cash grab
>>
>>14266587
>Making money=good
Fuck them
Thread replies: 157
Thread images: 28

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.