[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Yukikaze
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /m/ - Mecha

Thread replies: 25
Thread images: 3
File: 423289868.jpg (105 KB, 1280x1024) Image search: [Google]
423289868.jpg
105 KB, 1280x1024
>unhackable, near-sentiant AI
>still needs a human pilot for its final sortie

Did I miss something or is this just more melodrama from bad writing?
>>
>unhackable
>near sentient

You missed a lot more than just "something."
>>
>>14256936
I must have.
>>
It's a fucking alliteration to the reversal of the classical man - machine symbiosis. Whereas machines traditionally existed to serve man, by the end of this series, man serves to be a small part of the greater machine. It's symbolic how humanity itself is becoming quite alien, logical, more machine - like, to fight the JAM... Wow like the jam itself.
>>
>>14256880
Try to convey it in a few sentences (should read the books).

Without a human in the cockpit the war would be fought only by AI. That would be dangerous since the human AI might become independent or worse negotiate with the enemy. Yukikaze has already demonstrated that she is ambivalent about human lives. The warminds at HQ are beyond human control. Meanwhile back on Earth the enemy is infiltrating the datasphere. It's implied that the aliens are sentient machines so it doesn't take a genius to guess what that might mean for human developed sentient machines.
>>
>>14257015
Also a good point. Its clear the ai at hq don't give a dang about humans, want to either take the war to the jam by themselves, or consider joining the jam. The true ai ships that accompany yukikaze at the end are a clear picture of where the hq ai want to go.

Meanwhile humans have designed yukikaze to all require some human input, albeit a human who is almost machine - like himself, to all keep some "human element" at play, lest humans themselves become obsolete in the war.

Ironically, it is implied the human - yukikaze interface is superior to any fully ai/alien opponent they come up against.

But who knows what sound have happened if the war continued
>>
>>14257015
>Meanwhile back on Earth the enemy is infiltrating the datasphere

This isn't exactly confirmed nor denied. It can be a reality just as much as it can be the delusions of a paranoid frontline combat pilot, by Rei's own admission.

The fact is, no one cares over there. It's "not their problem," so goes the fashionable saying of the franchise.

When your war is fought on a planet far from your own, with the enemy contained far from your homeland, you begin to detach and desensitize from the conflict. Up until the appearance of ISIS you saw a similar issue with how the war on terror became a nonissue to the American public compared to the fervor back on 9/11/01; "not my problem" and all that.
>>
>>14257057
The FAF AI don't, however the SAF's tactical and strategic computers all embrace the SAF's organizational meme of a self-similar survival-maximizing collective that encourages working together to ensure survival on an individual level.

And even the SAF's combat AI are all what they are due to learning from their assigned pilots. The human element is, if not imprinted, recognized as something that those AI coordinate with, in a composite unit that could be considered a single entity manifest across two platforms.

Really though the second book words this all a lot more coherent than I make it sound. The FAF AI want to beat the JAM no matter what and will get rid of humans to do so if necessary, the SAF AI want to survive and will do whatever it takes to fulfill that core mission statement of SAF-V (come back alive, no matter the cost).
>>
>>14257112

But why was Fukai needed in final scene? He pretty much just let's Yukikaze do whatever she wants anyway.
>>
>>14257194
because anime JAM are interested in him because he is robot-like.
That made him react to yukikaze´s message to take down the first grey sylph.
or so i understood, lets hope ellipse answers soon...
>>
File: MPSeTSq.gif (2 MB, 400x226) Image search: [Google]
MPSeTSq.gif
2 MB, 400x226
>>14257271
>enemy is interested in him because he's a socially-inept autist archetype.
>>
File: TX-01 wishes you luck.jpg (39 KB, 704x528) Image search: [Google]
TX-01 wishes you luck.jpg
39 KB, 704x528
>>14257194
>>14257271

Because Rei and Yukikaze are two halves of a fighting whole. Each one trusts the other's judgment to a point where they can be said to be straight up two aspects of a single composite entity. Yukikaze herself blurs the line between human and inhuman after jumping to the FRX frame in being a sentient plane possessing a sense of self while still being a machine whose behaviors are still driven by logic and states, and Rei is a pilot conditioned both by the system he's in and the environment he's put in to be a cold and logical machine in the form of a human being (up until getting booted out of Yukikaze, among other things, broke his world view hard enough for him to rediscover his sense of humanity), and these two oppose the JAM which is/are an alien entity that can only be described as inhuman in just about every sense of the word...

...have I recently mentioned Yukikaze can be kinda really weird? The good news is that the second book pretty much goes full philosophy-boner on this and related issues.

But still, I wouldn't expect anyone to really grok the narrative the first go around in any form.
>>
>>14257446
Maybe it's different in the books, but the OVA doesn't really do a whole lot in terms of showcasing the Fukai/Yukikaze synthesis being greater than the sum of its parts. Whenever the combat situation gets rough, Fukai pretty much just lets the plane go into autopilot and while he gets totted along for the ride. Nothing is shown that shows that the human pilot is required.
>>
>>14258823
you coudl say they argue that the human is needed , because in the ova yukikaze pretty much mows down the tarmac in TAB-15 because the planes were sabotaged , and the might have been a few jam infiltrators , intead of getting , i dunno , a " check intake " while targeting the planes there if she had rei aboard
>>
>>14258823
>>14258908
OVA is rather show-don't-tell about it.
>>
>>14256880
>Did I miss something or is this just more melodrama from bad writing?

No, it's pretty much just unnecessary melodrama. They pretty much established that Yukikaze can handle itself without the need of Rei. Why they involved him in the final battle is pointless.
>>
>>14256986
>alliteration
Not what that meaning of that word.
>>
>>14260545
Did you forget the part where the first big reveal we find out about Rei after he's been recovered is that even while comatose the SAF computers find him important enough to hackjob the sensors tracking his vital signs to serve as a brain-machine interface to keep him linked to Yukikaze?
>>
>>14260560
If that's really the case, the show did a pretty lame job at conveying that. Regardless, Rei's physical presence in the cockpit doesn't seem to be a requirement at all.
>>
>>14260639
That would be the FAF's opinion.

However, the nature of the SAF means that combat efficiency yields to survival. Taking on a human pilot may handicap the performance specs of what was originally an unmanned design, but SAF-V has a peerless record for mission survival rates, and whatever reason for it lies in their deploying their elite pilots alongside those AI-equipped planes.

Of course, it's not inaccurate to say Rei and Yuki are just that close and wouldn't want it any other way, giving a romantic tinge to the whole affair. But it's misleading to just say the two are an item in as much as an autist and a plane can be an item.
>>
>>14256986

metaphor =/= alliteration
>>
>>14260919
And neither of them are allusion.
>>
>>14260951

An allusion is just an indirect reference to something.

The shit going on with the Yukikaze AI's is literally a metaphor.
>>
>>14256880
Because LONG WAY TO HOME
>>
>>14261068
what's the direct
Thread replies: 25
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.