[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Garm Wars
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /m/ - Mecha

Thread replies: 15
Thread images: 7
File: Ci5LOuyUkAA2kAR.jpg (137 KB, 768x1024) Image search: [Google]
Ci5LOuyUkAA2kAR.jpg
137 KB, 768x1024
Watched Oshii's new (?) live action film, Garm Wars. I just checked and apparently it was released overseas last year, but they only just released it in Japan today.

Well.

At least it wasn't as bad as Tokyo Mukokuseki Shoujo.

The plot was nonsensical but I really liked the Panzer Dragoon, Last Exile, Dunbine-ish aesthetic they had going on.

Despite being nonsensical the plot somehow manages to be horribly predictable. The use of all sorts of made-up words is part of the fun of fantasy and sci-fi, and this is both, but the one and a half hour runtime coupled with how this is an Oshii film where more than half the film is silence means you can't remember most of that shit. he big mastermind was design-wise basically the Puppetmaster from the first GitS movie. Old guy's conclusion was way too obvious. The big reveal about the creators of the Garm was literally generic Japanese RPG shit, and the ending was basically a PS1 RPG's end of disc 1 stinger.

The action scenes were way too anime and did not match the live action medium. In fact Oshii's style doesn't match the medium. Like with Tokyo Mukokuseki Shoujo, Oshii's signature "people standing still silently" thing is kind of ruined by how real people CAN'T STAND PERFECTLY STILL DAMN IT. People slowly swaying silently doesn't nearly have the same effect.

Also the shit with the dog was just fucking weird.

The CG was pretty bad compared to Hollywood of course but I thought it was okay. The designs were creative and cool enough to make up for it at least.

It was only available dubbed in Japanese at my cinema but even with great voice acting (protagonist was done by Park Romi) you can tell that the actual acting is horrid. Out of place body language, weird facial expressions, etc.

At least the mechanical shit was cool.
>>
File: Ci5PBEhVAAEYfKa.jpg (158 KB, 1024x768) Image search: [Google]
Ci5PBEhVAAEYfKa.jpg
158 KB, 1024x768
>>
File: Ci5O49vUYAAHchj.jpg (166 KB, 1024x768) Image search: [Google]
Ci5O49vUYAAHchj.jpg
166 KB, 1024x768
>>
File: Ci5Po54UoAAceeO (1).jpg (116 KB, 1024x768) Image search: [Google]
Ci5Po54UoAAceeO (1).jpg
116 KB, 1024x768
>Nausicaa? Never heard of it
>>
There's an interview with Oshii in the booklet.

The roots of this movie were in a frozen project ("G.R.M.") from the end of the 20th century. Restarting it was Oshii's doing.

The greatest theme of the movie is "whether or not Japanese can make fantasy".

Reasons that led them to film in Canada were solely financial.

They had lots of trouble with the Canadians, like
-They wanted to take nature shots but the Canadians insisted on them using blue screens
-The Canadians insisted that stuff once written could not be changed, and demanded payment for any changes in plans

Oshii mentions that the use of colours and light are important in making something seem like fantasy.

(Is that the reason for the fucking horrible bloom and filters that made everything look like shit?)

Oshii says that jumping over huge amounts in the middle was necessary to do what was needed: End the story. He says that manga, anime and games these days are all about the characters, and that nothing ever comes to an end. In fantasy, what's important is how it begins, and how it ends. If you don't do that then there's no meaning to making it fantasy. How the world began, and how will it end.

uhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh
>>
The film DID explain how the world began (at the end) and did kind of show how it'll end but that's the setting. In the PLOT: The viewer is suddenly thrown into a war between two races with little context at the beginning, and is given no real explanation about the world until the very end, and the ending is the mastermind awakening an army of giant robots to kill everyone and the film ending just before the two forces clash. It's a fucking PS1 era RPG "please insert disc 2" moment.

>The greatest theme of the movie is "whether or not Japanese can make fantasy"

I think the conclusion to that is "maybe, maybe not, but Oshii Mamoru certainly can't".

The film is mostly Sky Crawlers mixed with a bit of Ghost in the Shell and Kerberos Saga, and in the end turns into superhuman cyborg clones fighting giant robots with rifles and a fucking tank.

He says he was aiming for high fantasy but this is closer to Final fucking Fantasy.
>>
File: Ci5XjbMU4AAgHg9.jpg (136 KB, 768x1024) Image search: [Google]
Ci5XjbMU4AAgHg9.jpg
136 KB, 768x1024
>>
File: Ci5Xe85VAAA9jO0.jpg (127 KB, 768x1024) Image search: [Google]
Ci5Xe85VAAA9jO0.jpg
127 KB, 768x1024
>>
can someone provide a proper explanation than some /v/ tier rant shit cause OP can't explain to save his life
>>
oshii is a one trick pony hack, big fucking news

>>14255126
go back to /v/ where you can be spoonfed all you want, retarded child :^)
>>
Eh fuck you I liked it

Sure the story is throwaway but visually it was very spectacular
>>
why did Oshii decide to make these weird live action movies instead of anime?
>>
Maybe Oishi should stop doing live-action stuff of his ideas and stick to just animating them at Production I.G.
>>
File: 1432538373272.jpg (463 KB, 600x900) Image search: [Google]
1432538373272.jpg
463 KB, 600x900
is this worth watching?
>>
>>14255215
Oshii managed to make a cheesy, badass action girls movie plot absolutely BORING
Thread replies: 15
Thread images: 7

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.