[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
is it just me or does it seem like /m/ hates the best mecha anime
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /m/ - Mecha

Thread replies: 65
Thread images: 12
File: file.png (229 KB, 500x313) Image search: [Google]
file.png
229 KB, 500x313
is it just me or does it seem like /m/ hates the best mecha anime ever?
>>
huh?
>>
>>14254245

I don't hate it. In fact, I quite enjoy it.

I just hate the fanboys and the insistence it's anything besides the /m/ equivalent of a good cover band playing a concert full of other people's songs.
>>
Is it just me or does /m/ have the most obvious bait ever?
>>
>fanbase
>fanbase
>lucky_star_getter.png
>fanbase

There. There's the thread.
>>
>>14254258
lucky star getter?
>>
File: vstarterpack.jpg (457 KB, 1994x948) Image search: [Google]
vstarterpack.jpg
457 KB, 1994x948
>>14254245
>>
>>14254245
Pic unrelated.
>>
>>14254269
Needs more useless celebrity youtubers.
Fuck those guys.
>>
Even Lucky Star was a better mecha than this.
>>
>>14254303
What the fuck? These niggers can't be serious.
>>
>>14254269
Wait, if the guy is from /v/ then why is there so much video game stuff in the picture? Is the joke that /v/ never actually talks about games?
>>
File: 213425637463.jpg (20 KB, 260x310) Image search: [Google]
213425637463.jpg
20 KB, 260x310
>>14254269

>not nanomachine posting

Son...
>>
>>14254269

But I like dunkey and /v/ doesn't, that image makes no sense.
>>
File: 1354773-zambot3.jpg (50 KB, 488x640) Image search: [Google]
1354773-zambot3.jpg
50 KB, 488x640
>>14254245
I don't know,but is it some sort of Zambot 3 remake I am not aware of in OP's poc?
>>
Gurren Lagann is a celebration of some of the greatest things in mecha, but /m/ are too jaded to admit it's anything more than an unoriginal homage compilation when what it actually does is use those homages as a vehicle to create an epic story of it's own, despite superficial similarities. The execution and momentum of the plot/characters is far greater than most super robot anime.

It's one of the greatest mecha anime of all time for sure.
>>
>>14254680
>greatest
>>
>>14254680
Assuming I'm not being baited here, Gurren Lagann has a pretty standard plot; Mecha shows had been doing revolution since at least Zambot 3, if not earlier. And it steals most of its character dynamics and development from Gunbuster, which were in turn taken from Aim for the Ace!

If you want to argue that it does these things better, by all means, go ahead. But the similarities are significantly more than superficial, and you should not argue for its quality on the grounds that it is original or unique. That would be lying.
>>
>>14254716
Are you seriously comparing Kamina to Reika?
>>
>>14254245
I don't hate it, I just think it's a bit overrated, and the fanbase is fucking insane. Their over zealousness makes actual, civil discussion of the show nearly impossible. With GL the only discussion accepted is heaping it with praise, or shit posting it to oblivion. There simply is no room for an "warts and all" discussion of the show's strengths and weaknesses. (Yes, I realize that it's starting to be that way for all threads on /m/)

>>14254680
I'm okay with GL being a love letter to the genre, it just sticks in my craw when people say GL is new, innovative, and revolutionary, when it clearly isn't. When people like you say that good plot and characterization didn't exist in super robot shows until GL came along, all that makes me think is you don't know much about super robot shows. (This is not an insult. 90% of /m/ doesn't know shit about super robot shows. Fuck /m/ can't even fucking agree what a super robot is, or isn't.)
>>
>>14254254
Yes.
>>
>>14254680
>The execution and momentum of the plot/characters is far greater than most super robot anime
Not even remotely
>>
>>14254269
Dunkey did nothing wrong.

/v/ probably hates him too, since he finally stopped pretending to like LoL.
>>
daily reminder this exist
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5xNnPmnkNzg
>>
Kill la Kill > TTGL tho
>>
>>14254262

See >>14254303
>>
>>14255652
Name 5 of them which surpass GL.
>>
I do genuinely enjoy GL, but yeah the fanbase can be FF7 in the early 2000s level of obnoxious. I think a lot of it has died down at this point though. It was something the creators made because they WANTED to make it, not because the studio had them make it, so I appreciate it for that because it feels more genuine and a labor of love as a result.

>>14255660
>pretending
Nah he's just bitter because he banned him over something stupid. His points with the game's issues were pretty legit though, even if he said them out of bitterness.
>>
In 15 years, Gurren Lagann will what Gunbuster is today.

>>14254245
Because people who don't usually watch mecha like it.
Nice tumblr image.

>>14254269
I always hated this image.
A fifth of that stuff is actually good.

>>14255722
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZoOU0L0Kq0s
>>
>>14254269
Fuck you BANE and CIA are from /tv/
>>
>>14256266
>In 15 years, Gurren Lagann will what Gunbuster is today.

Nah, I doubt that. Gurren Lagann doesn't have the same kind of pull with mecha fans. It's casuals that are responsible for TTGL's popularity, and their interest is waning. Gunbuster is still popular because mecha otaku still like it even today, almost thirty years later. Why this happens to be so is beside the point, but to me, it seems that people who watch Gunbuster are either more likely to already be mecha fans or more likely to become mecha fans. It's probably because the more dated animation serves as a litmus test. Meanwhile, the kind of person that watches Gurren Lagann and buys into all the hype surrounding it is probably not a mecha fan and probably won't become one and is just the type to shout "best show ever" at anything that falls outside the very narrow range of shows they usually watch. These people cannot be counted on to sustain popularity because they don't know what they're talking about and they'll probably make the same claim when they decide to watch another such show and move on from Gurren Lagann.

Indeed, when I myself first watched Gurren Lagann, my only experience with mecha was the shit I had caught on Toonami, and that didn't really change afterwards until much later. In fact, I think the thing that made me a mecha fan was actually a video game, The Wonderful 101. It was only after I played that game that I seriously began watching mecha anime.
>>
>>14256232
Anything by Go Nagai
>>
File: Xabungle is mad.jpg (264 KB, 420x3920) Image search: [Google]
Xabungle is mad.jpg
264 KB, 420x3920
>>14254245
I dunno, I haven't seen much Xabungle hate out there.

>>14256232
Well, mind you, I haven't seen most of the classics still.

But Zambot 3, Daltanius, Ideon, Giant Gorg, Iron Leaguer, Giant Robo The Animation, and J-Decker more than fill your list.
>>
File: 7af.png (253 KB, 680x383) Image search: [Google]
7af.png
253 KB, 680x383
>>14254252
This. Gurren Lagann was bretty good, but the fanboys that praise it as the "BEST MECHA ANIME EVERR XDDD" really get on my nerves.
>>
Gurren Lagann effectively killed Super Robot in the west because no one will take another Super Robot entry seriously without referring back to TTGL
Just like all the idiots that go nuts over EVA
>>
>>14254252
>>14259793
This never happens. Stop making shit up to justify your pointless hate.
>>
File: b8.webm (1014 KB, 1280x544) Image search: [Google]
b8.webm
1014 KB, 1280x544
>>14260085
There's literally a prime example in this very thread, but that's probably you. >>14254680
>>
>>14254245
>>
>>14256524
None of those are even close to TTGL. Haven't seen J Decker though.
>>
>>14260085
I don't know how you can claim that when in this very thread you have people saying that GL was the first ever super robot show with a plot, and character development. Hell the FUCKING OP is saying
>BEST MECHA EVER

>>14259893
They'll just suck the dick of the new trigger show if it turns out to be mecha.
>>
>>14259793
>>14254252
What these two say. It's one of my favourite series and I had a blast with it, but it's a cover show. It's just a giant homage.
>>
>>14254245
>/m/ hates the best mecha anime ever?
are you kidding?
at any given time, half the fucking board is Gundam threads.
>>
>>14260852
Zeta is pretty shit, I agree.
>>
You're an idiot, /m/ is not a hivemind. Some people like it, some people don't, but people are more likely to speak out about hating something than liking something, so with opinions on shows you need to keep in mind the vocal minority.
>>
>>14254245
This show almost gave me an epileptic seizure. Also the plot is... psychedelic. Or just shit if you will.
>>
>>14255309
I'm guilty of this. TTGL was the first mecha show I watched from start to finish (about a year or two after the initial hype died down). I really enjoyed it for the over-the-top ridiculousness of it all but naturally I missed all the homages. Been catching them in bits and pieces since I started lurking /m/ though. I love the show to bits but I don't have a large frame of reference at this point.

Most of my mecha knowledge comes as a result of SRW games. I've been meaning to watch/read some of the series that I like the look of from there but I never get around to it.
>>
>>14260912
The first 15 episodes were fine. After that, it was shit.
>>
>>14260397
Elaborate. The burden of proof is on you, anon.
>>
>>14260397
>None of those are even close to TTGL. Haven't seen any of them though.

Fixed.
>>
>>14254423
Because they bring /v/ reaction images from games. Like mgs.
>>
Good show but overrated as fuck
>>
>>14254245
It's one of the better shows of the 2000's, but the best mecha anime ever? Don't make me fucking laugh.
>>
>>14261906
The problem is that most of the TTGL fans have never watched anything besides EVA, Code Geass and maybe Gundam Unicorn, so it is easy picking for them.
On the other hand, when it comes to actual fans of the genre, the question of which one is the best one is as hard to answer as everywhere else, so you can't even come up with a proper answer to their inquisitive, "Well then, show me a better one!"
>>
>>14255981
I'd like Kill La Kill more if it was actually animated
>>
>>14254254
You tell me. Im pretty sure /o/ and /lgbt/ beat us there.
>>14254613
Nope.
>>14261994
BRUTAL.
Plus it tells you the twists in the ed theme as well as having fights that have less actual action than fucking wing.
Might as well be watching godmars it has just as many frames.
>>14256232
Goddanar and daiguard.
>>
>>14256022
>[earlier post]
>See [later post]
Why do you do this.
>>
>>14262109
>shitting on godmars' animation

Even if the mecha had bad animation, the character animation was amazing for its time.
>>
File: gurren-lagann-kamina.jpg (145 KB, 1364x768) Image search: [Google]
gurren-lagann-kamina.jpg
145 KB, 1364x768
Who could watch the show after the real MC died, why even bother?
>>
>>14262124
And even then, Gaia was pretty well animated, too, while Godmars itself felt more like a two minute long finishing move.
>>
>>14262133
Why is Shinji-like so popular with anime, anyway?

I've yet to meet a person who wouldn't like a hot-blooded guy or gal doing awesome shit but most anime feature an annoying 12 year old crybaby slowly ticking off all the negative tropes until finally doing something interesting in the end.

It sucks.
>>
File: 1462839574589.gif (119 KB, 379x440) Image search: [Google]
1462839574589.gif
119 KB, 379x440
>>14262288
>I've yet to meet a person who wouldn't like a hot-blooded guy or gal doing awesome shit
The fuck kind of delusional world do you live in?
>>
>>14262288
"I'M MANLY BECAUSE I SHOUT ALL THE TIME FOR NO REASON LOL" and "12 year old crybaby" are both shit anon, just at opposite ends of the character spectrum
>>
>>14254245
The only really good episodes were 7-15.
>>
>>14262294
>The fuck kind of delusional world do you live in?

the one where most people love the crap out of KLK, TTGL, Getter Robo, Gundam Z, G Gundam,... and hates the guts of Shinji, dishes Šimon until he becomes Kamina 2.0 at the end?
Of course, there are exceptions like the girl from Gunbuster, but I think that when it comes to either of those tropes, most people would prefer the former.

>>14262306
Of course, I'm not saying they should be used all around, but the crying variety is used all too often for how unpopular it can be.
>>
>>14262343
>most people
Except you're actually objectively in a minority. And you're a retarded autist. And Kouji would start crying about having to pilot Mazinger at random sometimes.
Thread replies: 65
Thread images: 12

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.