[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Jaegers vs. 2005. Tripods: who wins?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /m/ - Mecha

Thread replies: 15
Thread images: 3
File: pr_mecha_vs_tripods.jpg (236 KB, 1000x506) Image search: [Google]
pr_mecha_vs_tripods.jpg
236 KB, 1000x506
That is the question. Which side would win if this conflict came to be?

Hax mode: The aliens are immune to Earth's germs.
>>
>>14251714
Trips
>>
Tripod shield probably beats the plasma gun. But Gipsy fist beats tripod. I'd say Gipsy would win against several tripods.
>>
>>14251724

Well, we've seen the Tripods' shields withstand the standard weaponry, can't recall if they tried nuking them in the movie. I wonder if a stronger weapon like Jaegers' plasma caster would whittle down the shield eventually.

Even then, the shield doesn't seem to work against living beings and non-explosive objects. Jaegers could just approach them and punch the fuck out of them (or even stomp them, judging by the scale the Tripods are at least half as tall as Jaegers).
>>
>>14251714

Hmmm. Could go either way. The tripods heat rays seemed tailored for carbonizing organics, against other targets they seemed to just set shit on fire. So it feels like that should be largely ineffective against Jaegers, since getting through their armor isn't what they are made for.

Consider the train scene from the WotW movie: the windows were gone and the train was filled with fire, but the train didn't appear to be melted to slag. If the heat rays don't effortlessly melt trains, it seems like they won't be very good at melting thick armor designed for trading blows with Kaiju.

On the other hand, the forcefields used by the tripods are an unknown quantity. We know they are resilient, but we don't know what their breaking point is or if they have exploitable vulnerability scenarios. That said, their force fields are clearly meant to intercept enemy fire, sustained large-scale force (like being bodyslammed by a giant robot) probably isn't in their use-case scenario. It would take an order of magnitude more power to stop Gipsy Danger's fist than it would to stop a wave of stinger missiles.
>>
>>14251779

There's also the matter of maneuverability and agility: Tripods seem to be rather slow and clunky and have to rely on built-in weaponry for combat, while Jaegers can run and simply tear things apart with bare hands, being built for combat with monsters of equal size and bigger.
>>
>>14251779
Didn't Gipsy survive most of an atmospheric re-entry? And stuck the landing, even if it did slow down a bit. Jaeger armor seems highly heat resistant
>>
>>14251803

Don't forget withstanding a nuclear blast, while category 5 Kaiju was severely wounded from a point blank explosion from the nuke.
>>
Never expected PRfags to be this delusional
>>
File: 17067590560_11b49e7ce0_o.jpg (2 MB, 2232x3000) Image search: [Google]
17067590560_11b49e7ce0_o.jpg
2 MB, 2232x3000
>>14251714
>removing the one aspect of the aliens that actually enabled them to die
>removing the most important part of Wells' story

This entire discussion has been rendered null and void. Dumb.
>>
>>14251834
>the one aspect of the aliens that actually enabled them to die
In fairness this isn't actually true. In Well's story the tripods didn't have magic forcefields, and were quite possible to damage or even destroy.

The reason they were effective in the book was that they were impervious to small arms, their mobility and the technology of the time meant that tracking them with a gun big enough to damage them was very difficult, and they could immediately return fire with their heat rays after the first shot. One tripod actually was destroyed by artillery anyway in what was basically a lucky shot.
>>
>>14251823

>backed with information gained from the events that occured in the movie
>"delusional"

I'm sorry, wot
>>
File: 17229167206_5309d6b9f3_o.jpg (2 MB, 2412x3000) Image search: [Google]
17229167206_5309d6b9f3_o.jpg
2 MB, 2412x3000
>>14251865
True, true, I just think OP's a gigantic god damn faggot and it's getting in the way of my judgement.

Of the kills on Tripods made, one was luck and the other surprise. Not much hope for mankind!

Does anyone else still wonder what those spongy-boned fellows might've been like? The cattle the Martians used for their trip to Earth.
>>
>>14251834
>>14251896
>>14251779
Regardless of forcefields, the martian tripods still have to make contact with the ground in order to move around on those huge mechanical feet. Given enough planning, a battalion of soldiers could track the thing's movement patterns and lay a field landmines where the martians are approaching. I bet that would have some impact or at least knock the thing off balance long enough to shoot it.

>>14251823
why tho
>>
>>14251865
Important to remember that "War of the worlds" was written in 1897.

The science of microbiology was pretty new back then so the bacteria thing isn't as lame as it is today.
Thread replies: 15
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.