[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Why do people think Gunbuster has a positive "hard work
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /m/ - Mecha

Thread replies: 64
Thread images: 9
File: jung01.gif (72 KB, 350x430) Image search: [Google]
jung01.gif
72 KB, 350x430
Why do people think Gunbuster has a positive "hard work will prevail" message?

Noriko didn't work any harder than the rest of the elite pilots, she received favoritism at every turn. She had special private training sessions nobody else was offered, she was selected as an elite even though there were clearly better candidates, and she was chosen to pilot the Gunbuster despite a record of insubordination.

If her daddy hadn't been who he was, she would have dropped out within a week.
>>
>>14246129

Jealousy is unbecoming, Jung
>>
>>14246133
>She never got to see them again
>>
>>14246129
Why do people criticise the fanservice in diebuster when there's more in gunbuster?
>>
>>14246129
Why was coach allowed to fuck his students?
>>
You forgot guts.
Hardwork and guts.
>>
>>14246162

because MUH 80s. Same reason Bubblegum Crisis gets away with basically just being a waifu show.

>>14246165

space legal
>>
>>14246129
>Why do people think Gunbuster has a positive "hard work will prevail" message?

Well because Noriko is destined to be one of Gunbuster's pilots. She is no different from Hiromi in aim for the ace. A mediocre student that's taken in by the tennis coach because he believes in her potential to the detriment of all the other players minus Reika. The "hard work will prevail" part of the message is a reference to uncovering her true potential. Which is realised in the final episodes of the ova.
>>
>>14246129
Does nobody on this board apart from >>14246174
know any sports anime tropes? Holy fucking shit, it's not nepotism, it's the 'special coach sees that the main character has potential'. Good fucking lord, the entire first episode was Ace wo Nerae: Giant Robots edition, and you daft cunts still rabbit on about 'muh nepotism'
>>
>>14246187

Do you think that matters? It having a precedent doesn't make it not nepotism if he's only doing it because he knew her dad, which, by looking at the anime, is the only reason he does it. He's vindicated later, but anyone else could have been too.
>>
>>14246240
>He's vindicated later

then shut up. Nepotism only caused him to take notice. Noriko still pulled through on her own. Coach didn't make it easy on her, fuck if anything he made shit harder
>>
>>14246240
>Do you think that matters?
Yes. That's why he posted it. Coach sees something in her that nobody else does and he was right in the end. How is this hard to understand?
>>
>>14246250

It's still only the first example of nepotism in his part. He gives her special training despite others requesting it and being denied, he picks her for Gunbuster despite more capable looking pilots being around.

Noriko was literally the worst student in the school at the start, not just in terms of performance but in how she applied herself too. She needed more attention than others probably would have to succeed.
>>
>>14246253

If he lavished that much effort on any other student they would have probably ended up doing that well in the end too. Do you think people just sauntered into that academy for a laugh? They all had good reasons to want to go to space and fuck up some monsters, likely a lot of them had personal vendettas just as strong as Noriko, why would the daughter of a captain be any more mad than the daughter of a comms officer or any rank and file who was aboard the Luxion?
>>
>>14246253

I don't care despite knowing that already. That's why I posted. How is that hard to understand?
>>
File: noriko.jpg (42 KB, 423x640) Image search: [Google]
noriko.jpg
42 KB, 423x640
>>14246255
>He gives her special training despite others requesting it and being denied

Nepotism is when you let your relatives friends have a cushy ride. He drove Noriko into the ground.

I really don't see why you're being such a bitch about this either. Coach's motives aside you cannot for instance say anything about Noriko not working her ass off
>>
>>14246305

I can actually, observe the start of the OVA. She wants to go in to space, she just puts little to no effort in and can barely move a robot, even when everyone else can do jumping jacks.

Also nepotism doesn't actually say anything about cushy rides. That's often a part of it, but not inherent to the definition. Also, Kasumi and probably lots of other people would have liked that hard work if he'd given it to them, he just wouldn't.
>>
>>14246165
It's okay, she was actually like 40 in time dilation years.
>>
If you look at it closely, Gunbuster is another archetypical "chosen one" story. Noriko's hard work and guts paid off, but only because she had potential, potential that only Coach could see initially but then he is the mentor character.

If she had no hidden talent, no amount of working her ass off would have fixed it.

However, note that Gainax wasn't trying to make a message about nature of talent or hard work. They were just a group of students with only two animated works under their belt, trying to tell a beautifully animated and hopefully emotionally engaging story.
>>
>>14246240
It's not a precedent, it's literally the source material.
>>
>>14246403

No, it isn't. Gunbuster is this debate's source material. Ace No Warae is inspiration and reference. It almost certainly didn't come up with the idea of a coach noticing something everyone else didn't. And again, even if it came up with the idea it doesn't matter, because Gunbuster is a separate and distinct work, and judged on its own merits. It might have done it because of some Ace No Warae, but death of the author and all that. Its going to be judged for what it did, not for what another work it references did.
>>
Coach picked out Noriko cause she put in more work than anyone else and is willing to go that extra mile to become something more

>>14246353
It is because of her willing to put in hard work that makes her a "chosen one". She has no special powers or anything she will just work harder than others, anyone could have been in her position if they pushed themselves as hard but they didn't
>>
>>14246311
>she just puts little to no effort in
No she just sucked at it, but she was still working out and trying hard in the first scene and then does the laps on foot despite it taking her forever and her friend pointing out anyone else would have just given up
>>
>>14246421

No, she doesn't. She's lazy as fuck and only inspired to effort when Coach shows her how much work Kasumi does.
>>
>>14246418

> no special power
> INAZUMA KIIIIIIIIIICK!
> Not a special power
> busts it out to win a fight after no training to do it and no mention of it prior to that point
>>
>>14246410
I don't think you get it.
>>
>>14246426

I'd say the same of you.
>>
>>14246429
Death of the author does not factor in when, even if we applied it, the comparison would still be completely indisputable because of the fucking name.
>>
>>14246440

> Death of the Author
> Reader (audience) takes something different from a work than the author intended to put in

I think that applies.
>>
>>14246449
Context is important, especially in something like this, a "second generation" anime, and that goes double for Gainax.

Irrespective of the content or the creators, the very name of the show is all there needs to be to establish that connection.

Also, it doesn't matter at all.
>>
File: not fair.jpg (60 KB, 700x700) Image search: [Google]
not fair.jpg
60 KB, 700x700
>>14246153
Fuck space traveling, man.
>>
>>14246153
Wasn't there some spin-off manga where she was cryogenically frozen or abused the hell out of relativity so she could live through the thousands of years it took them to get home?
>>
>>14246461

That particular context isn't important, because not everyone who sees Gunbuster will know or care that it takes inspiration from Aim For The Ace!

Nor should they have to, since it's a different work from different creators that only takes inspiration from the earlier work, not directly ties to it. If it did the whole nepotism thing too, then it doesn't make it any better that Gunbuster did, because it's creators didn't have to re-do that bit if they didn't want to.
>>
How dense are you guys?
>>
>>14246475
I don't know but that sounds nice. Still broke my heart when Noriko screamed sorry to her best friend because she'd never see her again when she realized they weren't escaping the explosion.
>>
>>14246410
>death of the author and all that

Go back to sucking libtard cock while sipping your soy latte made of fair trade beans on the side
>>
>>14246521

I have no idea what most of that means and don't even drink coffee but if insults are the best you have you're probably not worth talking to.
>>
this thread is cancer

kys
>>
>>14246129
>and she was chosen to pilot the Gunbuster
Didn't she steal it?
>>
>>14246169
>>14246162
Gunbuster did it better
>>
>>14246187
shoujo sports anime is still basically SHOUT AT IDIOT GIRL UNTIL SHE CAN INTO SPORTS

unless it's Yawara which is just LOCAL GRANDPA RUINS EVERYTHING
>>
>>14246168
Hard work, guts and OXYGEN IN YOUR MUSCLES
>>
>>14246571

She jumped in and made puppy dog eyes at Coach and he let her sortie.

If anyone else pulled that stunt they'd be dragged out and executed on the spot for gross insubordination during a battle.

If your unfinished weapon is the last hope of humanity, surely the smart move would be to stall as long as possible and get it away to safety where it could be completed, not let some hotheaded little shit take it for a joyride on the off chance she can pull off a miraculous win.
>>
>>14246612
>>14246571
>Mechshit protaganist
>Not stealing a mecha at least once
>Not even doing any other thing that would get you a firing squad if you were a normal dude
>>
>>14246746
>mechshit
Kill yourself senpai
>>
File: 1463442167481.jpg (188 KB, 750x750) Image search: [Google]
1463442167481.jpg
188 KB, 750x750
>>14246746
>mechshit
>>
File: implications.jpg (258 KB, 1432x1076) Image search: [Google]
implications.jpg
258 KB, 1432x1076
Great, another "people can't into implications" thread.
>>
>>14246162
>people criticise the fanservice in diebuster
who cares about what retards say.
>>
>>14246162
modern fan service is tastelessmean hwile the older anime is more subtle
>>
>>14247561
I bet
>>
It's more like
>be japanese
>be the master race
>>
>>14246886
the word capeshit is cancer literally infects everything
>>
>ITT OP is buttmad people got hired over him
>>
File: 1455510142483.jpg (837 KB, 1445x2048) Image search: [Google]
1455510142483.jpg
837 KB, 1445x2048
>>14246129
>Noriko didn't work any harder than the rest of the elite pilots

But she did

And not only that, but she was a better pilot at the end of ep 1 than any of them

Did you even watch ep 1?
>>
>>14246129
OP could not shrug harder if he were John Galt.
>>
>>14247565
Noriko's glorious bush is still canon to me, but I don't know if I could call it more tasteful than modern fanservice. Certainly less prominent.
>>
File: NORIKO.jpg (37 KB, 628x470) Image search: [Google]
NORIKO.jpg
37 KB, 628x470
>>14247807
You're damn right it's still canon
>>
>>14247887
>not the webm
Shameful
>>
>>14247807
>>14247887

Not even that big. If they were really bold she'd have a forest down there. I do like that it's the same color as her hair. Too often in Hentai the girl's bush will be black instead of the color of the hair on her head. C.C has the right color pubes though.
>>
>>14247887
>ywn bury your face in Noriko's hairy snatch
>>
File: my smile is gone for good.jpg (104 KB, 722x690) Image search: [Google]
my smile is gone for good.jpg
104 KB, 722x690
>>14247916
>>
>>14247916
>After a long day of running laps
>She'll never tell you to work hard down there with gusto
>>
Watching the science lessons for the first time and I didn't realize how much physics started getting raped near the end of the series until now.
>>
File: WAKE ME UP.gif (167 KB, 500x376) Image search: [Google]
WAKE ME UP.gif
167 KB, 500x376
>>14247916
Thread replies: 64
Thread images: 9

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.