[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
How did his death become such a dank meme to the point that "NICOL
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /m/ - Mecha

Thread replies: 101
Thread images: 15
File: smile.jpg (13 KB, 360x270) Image search: [Google]
smile.jpg
13 KB, 360x270
How did his death become such a dank meme to the point that "NICOL WAS 15 AND HE LOVED TO PLAY THE PIANO" is something everybody knows what you're referencing?
>>
>>14243938
Because we take a line that was said once or twice over the span of like 2 episodes and over-exaggerate it and force it until people meme it out of habit. When I watched SEED I expected it to be just as ridiculous as it seemed to be from the memes, but I was surprised that it actually came in a rather emotional scene between an injured Athrun and Cagalli
>>
>>14243949
SALT
A
L
T
>>
>>14243949
I mean, /m/ likes to shit on SEED but theres no need for it. It wasn't great but it wasn't as bad as destiny either. Suit designs were okay, not great, but it doesn't deserve the amount of hate it gets.
>>
>>14243938
Why is it that this Hiraiface series and its sequel, despite its mediocre writing, is better known than the other better Hiraiface series like MJP, s-cry-ed, Fafner? Is it because of the Gundam name slapped onto it?
>>
File: Gin'Iro.No.Olynsis.full.4571.jpg (522 KB, 2000x1353) Image search: [Google]
Gin'Iro.No.Olynsis.full.4571.jpg
522 KB, 2000x1353
>>14243976
How could you leave out the awesome Giniro no Olynssis out of your list?
>>
>>14243976
I don't think you understand how popular SEED was

Also yes, the Gundam name helped

>>14243981
>Giniro no Olynssis
>awesome
He forgot Heroic Age too
>>
>>14243976

I think a lot of people know S-Cry-Ed because it was on tv.

Still, SEED is a Gundam series. By default more people will know it.
>>
Because he was a non-character transparently inserted for the sake of creating drama, and since no viewer really sympathized with him they had to have athrun act like the death of a willing combatant was the death of an innocent young boy.
>>
>>14244009
BUT HE PLAYED THE PIANO
>>
>>14244009
>Because he was a non-character transparently inserted for the sake of creating drama

It's not like he was introduced 2 episodes before his death, he was there the whole time.
>>
>>14244032
His existence was barely acknowledged by anyone, including the writers. It isn't a coincidence he gets more screen time right before he dies.
>>
There was that bit with his mother and flashabcks. Sudden character exposition is a death sentence in gundam.

I mean we never saw nearly as much of Yzak's mom. That's a crime.
>>
>>14243981
>Giniro no Olynssis

Cool, another Hiraiface series to watch.

>>14243993
>Heroic Age

Damn, forgot how much I actually enjoyed that one despite the blueballing it gave me with the main pairing.
>>
>>14244039
>It isn't a coincidence he gets more screen time right before he dies.
That's kinda standard in writing, it's basic foreshadowing.
>>
>>14244044
Sure, but it's disingenuous to say that he wasn't inserted for drama and that he was always a member of the cast when he barely did or said anything up until right before his death.
>>
>>14244050
you might as well say everything in seed exists for the sake of drama. because it does.
>>
>>14244032
He may as well have been.
>>
It's a shame. Blitz is the sexiest gundam.
>>
File: 1454624260888.jpg (21 KB, 599x448) Image search: [Google]
1454624260888.jpg
21 KB, 599x448
>>14243938
>something everybody knows what you're referencing?
>I've been visiting /m/ for over ten years and never heard this before
>>
>>14243949

> but I was surprised that it actually came in a rather emotional scene between an injured Athrun and Cagalli

Melodrama isn't 'emotional'.
>>
>>14244114
But its okay if a show is emotional in a way that suits to your specific tastes? I don't see how they're any different. You just like X, he likes Y.
>>
>>14244114
>Melodrama isn't 'emotional'.

Tell that to Hamlet
>>
File: nichol played the piano.jpg (662 KB, 1172x968) Image search: [Google]
nichol played the piano.jpg
662 KB, 1172x968
>>14243949

I could have sworn Assram was whining about Nichol dying for at least 4-6 episodes after he died.
>>
>>14244170
>HE BITCH SLAPPED NICOL OFF HIS STOOL AND THEN SET FIRE TO THE PIANO AND MADE HIM WATCH

every time
>>
File: Nicol-Blitz.png (1 MB, 1280x720) Image search: [Google]
Nicol-Blitz.png
1 MB, 1280x720
>TFW I liked Nicol
>TFW HD remaster ruined his death
>TFW Mwu and Andy come back to life for no explained reason just cause and Nicol didn't
plus they overused the death scene in seed/destiny to the point that it was numbing.
>>
>>14244032
>It's not like he was introduced 2 episodes before his death
>>
>>14243949
Because it demonstrates poor writing when you can sum up nicols entire character in one sentence.
>>
>>14244170
i cri evertiem
>>
File: Yzak.Joule.full.18961.jpg (403 KB, 1243x1800) Image search: [Google]
Yzak.Joule.full.18961.jpg
403 KB, 1243x1800
Occasional reminder that Nicol died a virgin.
>>
>>14244089
>Blitz
That's not how you spell Duel
>>
>>14244323
So does Yzak.

>But he's still alive! And?
>>
>>14244536
>implying Dearka didn't plow Yzak every night
>>
>>14244536
It's safe to assume Yzak got the Dearka D
>>
>>14243981
No matter what other say about Hirai Face but you have to admit that Hirai face Gals are perfect rape material
>>
>>14244185
Well Nicol was actually a ship, Kira only kills ships.
>>
File: our lord and savior.jpg (58 KB, 310x301) Image search: [Google]
our lord and savior.jpg
58 KB, 310x301
>>14244853
That's because there aren't any people on ships, right?
>>
>>14244855
Right.
>>
>>14244131
"Melodrama" is distinct from "drama" on the basis that the former is a poorly made variant of the latter. In that scene, you don't give a flying fuck about who got killed or why.
>>
>>14244323
Has he had any more adventures with Bronzerod Samson?
>>
>>14243938
It got even worse when the video releases have him edited to look like he killed himself, thus leaving Jesus Yamato blameless.
>>
>>14244942
I care about Nicol.
>>
File: 1461381559153.jpg (155 KB, 1024x768) Image search: [Google]
1461381559153.jpg
155 KB, 1024x768
>>14244855
>>
File: 1444088367911.png (647 KB, 737x720) Image search: [Google]
1444088367911.png
647 KB, 737x720
>>14243938

Holy shit Yzak's face in the background.
>>
>>14243938
Because the line was that fucking stupid and Destiny is that fucking bad.
>>
>>14244009
>Because he was a non-character transparently inserted
>>14244032
>It's not like he was introduced 2 episodes before his death, he was there the whole time.

>Nicol pilots the one gundam that can turn stealthily transparent

POTTERY
>>
File: 3.jpg (29 KB, 314x263) Image search: [Google]
3.jpg
29 KB, 314x263
>>14246220
>Destiny
You pleb
>>
I unironically like Stargazer
>>
>>14246248
Who doesn't?

>>14246238
>Nicol survived, he just didn't turn his invisibility off afterwards and no one noticed
>>
>>14243938
Because like Tolle he was a stock "nice guy" character with no development that was set up just to die so they can force Kira and Athrun to fight each other.
>>
>>14246248
wait wait wait, what wrong with Stargazer again ? I thought people loved it ?
>>
>>14243938
>>14243949
The line itself wasn't repeated much, but they kept repeating the flashback of his death.
>>
>>14246306
>what wrong with Stargazer again
It's attached to, arguably, the worst Gundam series.
>>
>>14244114

Melodrama is literally emotional

The genre invented the emotional cues still used on stage today, although they've left off giving all the bad guys black hats
>>
>>14243938

It was just bad writing. The line was meant for the audience to feel remorse for a character that was too underdeveloped for his death to mean anything to the people watching. The result is a dialogue that comes off as hamfisted melodrama.

The funny part is that this kind of lazy writing permeates throughout anime.
>>
someone post the "I'm not a piano" thing
>>
>>14244044
Doesn't stop it from being bad writing. In fact, that it just went for 'standard' is why it'll never be good.
>>
>>14245904
No you don't, you just want to shitpost.
>>
>>14250890
>The funny part is that this kind of lazy writing permeates throughout anime.

This SEED apologist. Post 10 examples.
>>
>>14250963
Muv-Luv
Gundam Wing
Naruto
Dragonball
NGE
Bleach
Zoids
TTGL
Cross Ange
InuYasha
Sailor Moon
Sword Art Online
Gundam 00
Gundam RiG
Attack on Titan
Terra Formars

...I don't know how many I listed, but it's pretty much almost every anime show I can name off the top of my head. I'd say only about 1 in 10 shows delivers half-way decent writing consistently throughout the run of the series.

FYI: I actually hated SEED.
>>
>>14251002
Those aren't examples. Those are statements.
>>
>>14251049

Then you are going to have to clarify what you mean by "example."
>>
>>14251054
Cite specific examples in those series of the bad exposition that you're talking about. You say that it permeates anime.
>>
>>14244044
>That's kinda standard in writing, it's basic foreshadowing.

No, no it isn't. Stop watching terribly written shows.

Thats not how foreshadowing works. Foreshadowing is including elements and hints that precede a payoff so said payoff surprises the character but not the viewer.

If you think a character getting increased screen time just prior to their death is 'standard', thats because you watch too many shows with bad pacing and writing. That isn't a writing technique, thats the writers going 'oh fuck, we are about to kill this guy off and no one gives a shit about him because we have literally never bothered to use this character for anything or give any reason to be invested in him. Quick, lets have him blurt out his entire backstory and give him some kind of emotional or philosophical monologue literally seconds before he climbs into the cockpit and dies. Whew, NAILED IT. Time for more coke.'

Its a crutch, and a shitty and obvious one at that. Any writer INTENTIONALLY including that in their work is like a director shooting a fight sequence and then making sure that the camerawork focuses on the wires being used for the acrobatics. Like, really making sure that you can't miss them being in the shot, and then focusing on them and holding that image for a second before moving on. Not even playing it for comedy, just thinking that all because sometimes you could see the wires in poorly done movies, they should make sure you can see the wires in this one.
>>
>>14251276
>Time for more coke
You mean vanilla coke
>>
>>14246312
And each time they flashed back, they kept moving his head further from his body.
>>
>>14251057
>NGE
Asuka's Eva was sent into the lava because it was the only one of the units that can survive it. However when she starts sinking, she gets saved by Shinji's Eva that dove in after her.

>Wing
Heero is supposedly a maintaining cover as a student at Relena's school rips an invitation she gave him and tells her that he is going to kill her in front of a crowd of people. Nobody regards this as suspicious.

>Cross Ange
Task is still alive after his supposed death without any explanation whatsoever.

>Gundam 00
Mr Bushido is bent on destroying the Gundams, however when one of the pilots gets his machine damaged because of his incompetence, Graham just flies away because it would not be honorable.

>AoT
When Eren was in training with the 3D maneuvering harness, the instructor didn't correct him and Eren spent the entire episode thinking he was failing because he wasn't good enough until the day of the test when instructor identified the malfunctioning equipment.

>Muv-Luv
During the climatic fight in the woods between Iris and Axmann, Anett threw a gun to Iris instead of just shooting Axmann with it. Theo decides to take the injured Iris to the edge of town instead of a hospital to treat a gunshot wound that is pretty survivable as far as shots to the gut go.

(cont)
>>
>>14251057
(cont)

>SAO
An unconscious Asuna was about to get married off without her consent while she was still in a coma because this is apparently legal.

>Bleach
Gin waits until after Aizen's fight with Urahara and Yorouichi when Aizen grew even stronger to betray him.

>Dragonball
Krillin wishes uses a wish to remove the bombs in 18 because he has a crush on some randomer chick that fought against him and his friends. There was no real basis for any kind of romantic relationship to develop between the two.

>Naruto
Naruto was said to have failed the ninja exams 3 times, but ends up in a class with all his peers of the same age.

...Each example is either the cause or result of undue melodramatic moments used to either make the situation seem more impactful than it really was or just kick a weak plot further down the road. They were too undercooked or half-assed to have any real meaning which begs the question of why is this lazy shitty writing so prolific in anime?
>>
>>14251638
>Asuka's Eva was sent into the lava because it was the only one of the units that can survive it
That's not true. Asuka simply volunteered for that mission.
http://project-eva.ichigos.com/site_html/en/index.php?layout=rei&id=info_eps_10

>Heero is supposedly a maintaining cover as a student at Relena's school rips an invitation she gave him and tells her that he is going to kill her in front of a crowd of people. Nobody regards this as suspicious.
Everyone thought he was a jerk for ripping up the invitation, but Heero whispered the line into Relena's ear. No one else heard it.

>Mr Bushido is bent on destroying the Gundams, however when one of the pilots gets his machine damaged because of his incompetence, Graham just flies away because it would not be honorable.
His name is literally Mr. Bushido.

>>14251645
>There was no real basis for any kind of romantic relationship to develop between the two.
I can't believe the foreshadowing flew over your head so hard.

Also, your implication that this is an inherent trait of anime is retarded because it implies that other mediums have higher standards of writing. They don't.
>>
>>14251669
>That's not true. Asuka simply volunteered for that mission.
Watch the episode again. One of the techs say that specialized equipment has not been standardized for use by the other units. They were going to pick Asuka anyway. They were about to name which pilot was going to sent on the mission when Asuka gave her outburst.

>Everyone thought he was a jerk for ripping up the invitation, but Heero whispered the line into Relena's ear. No one else heard it.
Making a big show of behaving like an socially inept asshole and outright telling someone you are going to kill them is not going to help maintain your cover. For whatever reason, Relena chose not to report a threat to her life otherwise Heero would've been kicked out of the school and which would've put his mission in jeopardy.

>His name is literally Mr. Bushido.
It doesn't matter. That one engagement with the 00 would show that it would be impossible for him to ever win a fight against Gundams due to his logic making his motive just a pointless endeavor.

>I can't believe the foreshadowing flew over your head so hard.
Do you even know what foreshadowing means in story telling? There was literally no chemistry going between 18 and Krillin for him to make a wish like that. She beat up his friends to an inch of their lives. It's a textbook example of a forced romance.
>>
>>14251845
>For whatever reason, Relena
Relena already knew who he was from episode 1, dingus. You're showing how bad you are at this. Stop blaming the stories for your own inability.
>>
>>14251851

...So your counterpoint against the argument that anime has shitty writing is by pointing to the fact that Relena was retarded from the beginning.

You are not very good at disproving the point.
>>
>>14246320
AGE though.
>>
Goddammit /lit/, I know you've got a superiority complex, but do you really need to point out that cartoons have bad writing to feel superior?
>>
>>14251931
Most books are pretty terrible tbqh
>>
File: airbag.gif (1 MB, 371x209) Image search: [Google]
airbag.gif
1 MB, 371x209
>>14251934

Sturgeon's Law says that most of anything is shit.
>>
>>14251002
Name shows you think have good exposition writing then. If you say Legend of Galactic Heroes then your opinion is invalid. Then again it already is for putting G-Recko and Sailor Moon on your list.
>>
>>14251962
That was made by a bitter man though
>>
>>14251962
Off topic, but does that show get any good? I watched one or two eps, but it seemed like a poor man's Archer that's way more lolrandum than it should.
>>
>>14252001
G-Reco zealots are common, but I can't imagine how Sailor Moon is someone's example of a show with uncriticizable writing.
>>
>>14252001
>Then again it already is

If you already have a preconceived notion to disagree anyway, why are you even asking?

You SEEDfags are fucking dumb.
>>
>>14252001
Sailor Moon is held as a classic because it's genre-defining. But the story telling is droll.

G-Reco was just a hot mess. Even Tomino said so.
>>
>>14243949
So that explains how Toku threads are on /m/
>>
>>14252027
>I can't imagine how Sailor Moon is someone's example of a show with uncriticizable writing.
Directed by Kunihiko Ikuhara and filled with lot of the subjects and themes of his latter work. Has genuine believable friendships between the Sailor Senshi and one of the most beloved, positive depicted lesbian couples in anime.
>>
>>14251962
To be fair, even books that are considered 'classics' are garbage. Explain to me the appeal of shit like Shakespeare
>>
File: dazzle pensive.png (266 KB, 667x429) Image search: [Google]
dazzle pensive.png
266 KB, 667x429
>>14252015
>does that show get any good?

WHAT PART OF "STURGEON'S LAW" DID YOU NOT UNDERSTAND???

...But to answer your question seriously, if you have the impression that it was an '80s Archer then that's all it's ever going to be to you because that's the kurzgesagt for the layman. The comedy was mediocre with the really funny jokes too far between. Personally, I'm sucker for '80s shit and they tended not to do too many of the tired references (some were actually pretty subtle). I voice talent was good and adore the aesthetic of the show. I can see why it was cancelled, though.
>>
>>14252078
>Explain to me the appeal of shit like Shakespeare

I'm no fan of Billy Shakes, but his stories were pretty original at the time. Many of themes that he put on stage were never done as well before. Unfortunately, but the time many of us are old enough to (be forced to) read it, we've been exposed to some version of those same themes in works by others so we have no real appreciation for it. I'm just reading a version of West Side Story with less dancing and poorer English than the Puerto Ricans.
>>
>>14252101
Gotta use your fancy German terminology don't you
>>
>>14244736
I second that motion.
>>
>>14250890
>>14251002
>>14251276
>>14251638
>>14251645
>>14251845
>>14251862
>>14251962
>>14252027
>>14252044
>>14252055
>>14252101
>Look at me, I'm a pretentious lit major who is never going to amount to much and will probably never become a successful author so the best I can do is tear down others work to feel better about myself.
>>
>>14252116
>were pretty original at the time
>were never done as well before
What? And Shakespeare is alright, his only work I didn't enjoy was Romeo and Juliet, but that's mainly due to me being biased against romantic stories
>>
>>14252078
You want us to explain the appeal of bloody incredible writing?
>>
>>14243949
>it actually came in a rather emotional scene between an injured Athrun and Cagalli

That scene made it worse for me. Athrun was clearly upset about the whole situation but Cagalli guilt tripped him hard for "killing" Kira even though he didn't want to do it and made it seem as if he should have done absolutely nothing or found some magical peaceful solution instead of doing his job to battle an enemy solider
>>
>>14252215
>Shakespeare
>bloody incredible
Ayy
>>
>>14252215
The fact you just want things to be gory shows how trite your hobby really is.
>>
>>14252168
>lit major

You couldn't be more wrong. I'm just a guy who's seen enough shows to develop a sense to recognize patterns in story telling and develop an opinion in relation to other works in the genre instead of just swallowing the blue pill and fiercely defending a show on an internet message board. The biggest difference between you and me is that I can acknowledge the shortcomings and strong points of a show and give specific reasons why I like/didn't like it. You should try it sometime.
>>
>>14244108
>Tokufag
>doesn't know /m/ maymes
Colour me surprised.
>>
File: jerid name.jpg (77 KB, 473x351) Image search: [Google]
jerid name.jpg
77 KB, 473x351
>>14243938
Nicole? Isn't that a girl's name?
>>
>>14243938
Look how smug Nicole is in this shot
>Thank fuck I get to die early, I don't wanna stick around for Destiny.
>>
>>14253162
>just swallowing the blue pill
Ahhhh, a member of the Alt-Right!
>>
File: bravo.gif (940 KB, 490x273) Image search: [Google]
bravo.gif
940 KB, 490x273
>>14253395
under-appreciated post.
Thread replies: 101
Thread images: 15

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.