[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Due to a recommendation from my sister I just finished Gargantia,
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /m/ - Mecha

Thread replies: 37
Thread images: 4
Due to a recommendation from my sister I just finished Gargantia, which is half part-Post Apocalypse ARIA, 1 Episode of Transhuman Debates, and a finale of fighting a cult based on a mech. Did /m/ like it?

Also, am I the only ome who got Orbital Frame vibes from Chamber?
>>
File: MASK_CHAIKA.jpg (434 KB, 973x821) Image search: [Google]
MASK_CHAIKA.jpg
434 KB, 973x821
Squid is also people!
Shocking truth!
>>
>>14242628
>am I the only ome who got Orbital Frame vibes from Chamber?

The similarities end at "AI" and "floating." It's got the same "vibes" as any other mech with these qualities.
>>
>>14242658
SOMEONE FUCKED IKA.

This is the result.
>>
>>14242662
It's precision thin lasers of doom also reminded me of Jehuty's homing shot from the second game, especially since you can do a mass lock-on with that too.
>>
>>14242628
I liked it. It was maximum comfy. I even bought the blu ray. Chamber is best bro.
>>
>>14242671

This. I liked it enough to get the blu ray for myself, the dvd for a cousin who is just getting into anime, and the Chamber figure for my shelf.

I have regretted none of these purchases. My only regret is season 2 never.
>>
>>14242665

Jehuty's lasers don't phase through metal armor though.

Tech levels, I think Chamber's much more advanced too. Aside from Jehuty's hammerspace/warping tech.
>>
>>14242819
Ah yes, Vector Trap technology. Harnessing the power of traps and scaling it for military grade machines.
You might say traps are the will of Metatron.
>>
>>14242628
>1st episode is the most metal space battle I've ever seen
>"oh fuck, this gonna be good! can't wait to see these amazing space battles continue :DD"
>Rest of the anime is about boats and bitches

FUCK
>>
>>14242628
It was okay.

It has some irobochi guy's name attached so people feel the need to take it more seriously than it warrants.
>>
>>14242883

Literally the only time I see anyone bring up Urobuchi in relation to Gargantia is to accuse other people of only liking it because Urobuchi.

I feel like, before Gargantia aired, ONE FUCKING GUY said he was going to watch Gargantia because Urobuchi was a associated with it and the whole of the human race has been paying for that man's sins ever since.
>>
>>14242628
>Also, am I the only ome who got Orbital Frame vibes from Chamber?
It reminds me more of a Yokoyama robot desu
>>
New Chamber figure WHEN?

I don't have 200 USD for a toy, no matter how cool.
>>
>>14242908
What about the PLAMAX one.
>>
>>14242918
Isn't that a model kit?

I'd like a prepainted figure at a half reasonable price.
>>
>>14242628
I utterly loathed the actual people in gargantia's fleet. They were deeply stupid, and even when given multiple examples of chamber's RIDICULOUS firepower decided he could best be utilized moving cargo containers.
>>
>>14243068

And what would they have done with his firepower? They were not at war with anyone. They didn't WANT to be at war with anyone. They didn't have anything to gain by STARTING a war with anyone.

This is Gargantia, not Gundam. Fights don't have to happen every episode in order to advertise cool robot toys. Chamber does that well enough just by being best dad.
>>
I'm a sucker for "Post-Apocalyptic, but with working complex societies" so yeah, I enjoyed Gargantia.

I wouldn't consider it a mecha show however.
>>
>>14243081
>They were not at war with anyone
Except for the pirates that came and wrecked their shit constantly. That they had to build a defense force for.

Plus the fact that chamber is a legit fucking alien and they show no curiosity about that fact whatsoever. They don't even ask what might happen if his alien buddies come to earth.
>>
>>14243093
Don't forget the scene where they threaten Ledo with guns, multiple times, in front of Chamber, even AFTER being told that Chamber could solo their entire fleet in about a minute flat.
>>
>>14243098
Or how the charge Ledo for escaping their attempt to destroy Chamber. Then charge him rent.

What was their plan if Ledo said 'ok, imma just leave and go to some other fleet who doesn't charge an alien superweapon rent, kay?' and buddied up with the pirates?
>>
>>14242895
A few things definitely did market the Urobuchi name to a degree
>From the creator of Madoka Magica and Fate/ Zero..
>Gen Urobuchi pens new anime

And other such terminology centered around the man. Plenty of people picked it up because of the name associated just because of the familiarity.

And it would be ridiculous to write off how much a name has to a market. Back when Unlimited Blade Works started to air, an unhealthy amount of people on 2ch only found out after the second episode aired that Urobuchi in fact was not the writer for UBW, and these people further voiced their dismay and frustration over finding this out.

Same with Aldnoah.Zero. Urobuchi's name was used prominently in early marketing and press releases when, in reality, Urobuchi's contributions were incredibly minimal.
>>
>>14243098
It's funnier when you consider their holier than thou, pacifistic philosophies.
>>
>>14242628
>1 Episode of Transhuman Debates

Reminder that humanity could have become the Elder Things, instead it became Gunbuster minus the GUTS.
>>
File: 1459106484102.jpg (145 KB, 1280x720) Image search: [Google]
1459106484102.jpg
145 KB, 1280x720
I liked it well enough despite it kind of dragging in the middle. Sugitabot is best surrogate father robot and Ledo ends up pretty likeable. I haven't seen the Meguru Koro Haruka OVAs yet though.

I also wish there was an affordable model or figure of Chamber in some form. The ones that exist are pretty pricey.
>>
>>14242628
I liked it. Despite some of the flaws that /m/ did point out in previous threads on Gargantia, I enjoyed the slice-of-life aspects and the world building that they did with the series. Sugitabot was based and Ledo's development, while flawed, was still nice to see.
>>
>>14242810
Season 2 was retooled into a light novel.
>>
>>14242810
The story was self-contained enough that it doesn't really need another season. Plus without Chamber, I don't see how it could be anywhere near as good.

Sometimes it's better just to let things lie. Looking at you Psycho-Pass.
>>
>>14246061
>Sometimes it's better just to let things lie. Looking at you Psycho-Pass.
>he didn't like Metal Gear Akane the movie
>>
>>14246068
Was the movie really necessary though? There's some nice fanservice but the plot and characters don't progress in any meaningful way.
>>
>>14245849

That's slightly disappointing. Did the post-series OVAs not do so well?
>>
>>14246112
Psycho-Pass is really more thematic than plot or character focused, and I thought the movie was a decentish attempt at discussing colonialism and imperialism through science fiction. It was different enough in that sense not to be just a repeat of the tv show.
>>
>>14242852
>:DD
Stop
>>
>>14246061

Have you seen the OVAs? I agreed with you that Gargantia was probably better off without a second season until I saw those. The plot that gets introduced in the OVAs sets up a story that I would actually like to see brought to a conclusion.

Spoilers ahead: There remain a small number of land-based nations, holdouts from world powers that secured areas that they knew would be above the waterline after the flood. They don't have a lot of room, but they did manage to store a lot of their technology there so they could rebuild after the world ended.
But all anyone on Land cares about is controlling the rest of Land. Thats why the seafaring cultures like Gargantia just call the whole collection of islands and whatnot 'Land', because who is in power, and of what, changes so goddamn often from their perspective that they don't bother keeping track anymore. Land is just universally recognized as being bad news, not just because they are constantly fighting but because their firepower is enough that if you get too close to them they might just blow you up.
It turns out that one of the Land nations caught wind of Kugel and Striker doing their unification plan, recognized the Striker as an advanced from of Machine Caliber, and sent agents to infiltrate the Kugel fleet with the goal of learning Striker's capabilities and hopefully bringing Striker and Kugel back to Land to advance their own machine caliber program, securing an advantage against the rest of Land and winning the war once and for all.
But Striker blew up and the Kugel fleet got folded into Gargantia, with the Land agents avoiding detection in the changeover of power. So now they are in the Gargantia fleet and are targeting Ledo as their last chance to get their hands on some of that sweet, sweet spacetech/knowledge.
>>
>>14246611

Spoilers continue: Meanwhile, Ledo has adapted to life on Gargantia, but is also desperately collecting every bit of information he can find on the ancient Earth civilizations and their technology and research. What he told the Gargantian's before in the first season still holds true: they are NOT prepared for what will happen if this peace of theirs ends. If the Hideazu on Earth start treating humans as a threat again, its over. If either of the spaceborn factions find the Earth, human or not, the Gargantian way of life ends in either extermination or forced recruitment for endless spacewar. On top of that, Ledo is the ONE GUY in the whole universe that knows both what is going on in space and what really happened on Earth and has access to it. He feels obligated to find some kind of solution to this, some way to open up communication again and end the war, before he dies because he is convinced that if he doesn't do it then no one ever will, and then everyone on Earth is living on borrowed time.
Also, while Chamber is not brought back Ledo talks about him all the time and we occasionally get flashbacks to previously unseen conversations between the two of them. Chamber may be gone, but he was still basically Ledo's dad and was a hugely important part of his life.
>>
>>14242628
I liked it but I'm not /m/.
I hope someone translate the sequel novel
Thread replies: 37
Thread images: 4

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.