[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
What was wrong with AGE? I really like the mech designs, but
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /m/ - Mecha

Thread replies: 75
Thread images: 11
What was wrong with AGE? I really like the mech designs, but I wanna know what's so bad about it.
>>
File: adele-original.jpg (24 KB, 265x396) Image search: [Google]
adele-original.jpg
24 KB, 265x396
Pacing and character development are a mess from the second generation onwards. I agree the mech designs are pretty sweet though, especially on the Feddie's side.
>>
>>14242462
Somehow not all Vaegyrs died.
Guess who's responsible...
>>
It was ambitious but rubbish in terms of story.

Going through three generations of the same family was good on paper but sucked in execution.

I still find Kio randomly outgrowing Age-3 silly. All he did was talk and understand and suddenly the mech can't keep up with him anymore.
>>
It didn't AGE well.
>>
Too ambitious for it's own good
>>
>>14242462
I could write a 10 post description of everything it fucked up and did wrong but here's the highlights:
>Pacing was absolutely terrible. They spent way too much time on unimportant parts, ended up rushing at the important and interesting bits, and at the end when they were really stressed for time they spent multiple episodes on a character with zero importance only to immediately kill her off.
>They spent way too long showing what monsters the Vagan were only to try and turn it around towards the end and try for an Understang end, which against everything else we were shown felt forced and fell flat.
>Asem suddenly fucking off to play pirate made no sense at all.
>Flits purge of the Federation accomplished nothing after just one episode.
>Kio is one of the worst protagonists in all of gundam.
>Second moon could move out of the mars cancer rays the whole damn time.
>Final boss with no lines that no one gave a fuck about.
>Poorly done gundam clichés through the whole series.
>After decades of it being missing they just happened to randomly come across exadb like a day after deciding to look for it.

I could go on and on, but you get the idea. The grunts and their pilots were cool though and it was nice seeing them not be totally worthless.
>>
>>14242462
I thought it was fine....until Part 3
Kio is the worst Gundam character ever.

Honestly, I'd rather watch Shinn at the end of GSD over this loathsome fuck
>>
File: lalah.gif (317 KB, 500x375) Image search: [Google]
lalah.gif
317 KB, 500x375
>>14242462

AGE is fine. If you think Seed or 00 is better than it then you are a tasteless fag who likes overdesigned grimderp nonsense!
>>
>>14242462

Massive plot holes, terrible plot, nonsensical choices by plenty of characters (Particularly Asemu), Kio is a shit, worst conclusion ever.

I would also say ugly designs, but other people might argue that point.
>>
>>14243046
>Massive plot holes
They literally could've flown to earth at any point to avoid space cancer.

But no, let's wait a century or so to make sure we have maximum suffering.
>>
A big thing that comes to mind is that they completely wasted the generation gimmick. The whole "war across multiple generations" idea would be great if the audience saw the effect of a war going on for that long. Unfortunately, we see none of that. Assuming that the war in AGE is considered to be a total war, we would see rationing, propaganda, inflation going through the roof, all that fun stuff. Instead, we pretty much get some kids from Beverly Hills going to school, and doing club stuff like they've been at peace the whole time. Usually this is to make a point that the war seemed so far away, but this war has been going on for more than twenty years at this point. It seems like the Federation didn't give two shits about the Vagans. A couple of offhand comments about how life was before the war would've been better than what we got.

I also hated how the Asemu and Kio became gundam pilots on the virtue that they were the spawn of Flit. Especially Asemu since he was a moody little shit, was late to the battle constantly, and didn't follow orders very much. Makes me wonder how his team put up with him.
>>
>>14242462
Bad direction and writing really. It was pretty good on paper, but that combined with fast pacing killed it in the end. Now imagine having three generations, 26 episodes each, and we'd have a solid show. But essentially, each generation was supposed to tell one Gundam story within a cour. Of course it will fail.

Though desu, it was still better than Seed and 00, and somehow fans of those were the most vocal people complaining about AGE because muh Digimon kiddie shit.
>>
Something that annoyed me was that in gen 3 they decide, hey lets retire the Diva, the only ship in that has an OP laser canon that helped win previous battles alone to to the point we build tech around that one weapon.
>>
>>14243046
>>14243086
Part of it is using Level-5, and the use of video game logic in a TV show. It just does not translate well.
>>
>>14243190
>video game logic in a TV show

Since when has that ever worked well, outside of a parody of video games?
>>
>>14243190
Hopefully their Time Bokan collaboration project turns out better. If anything fits Level 5's kid-friendly aesthetics, it's Time Bokan.
>>
>>14242462
Arc 1 was really boring. Things started picking up with arc 2 & 3, but they bad directing and writing killed it. Show should have started with arc 2 and the important parts of arc 1 be revealed over time as flashbacks. Also, get a director that knows he is trying to direct an anime and not a video game.
>>
Why did they go out of their way to make all the female characters awful?
>>
>>14242864
I disagree. Hino clearly didn't give a shit about what he was writing.
>>
What was wrong with AGE?
everything but Flit's Arc and first Op
>>
On top of what everyone else has said, in order to cram in all the necessary characters in the time they had most of them were constructed hastily out of cardboard and raw archetypium.
>>
I still dont get what happened in the final battle
Why did SID get involved in the final battle? Wasnt it supposed to protect EXA-DB?
>>
>>14242480
Hey, Flit had his chance when he made his full coup to turn the Federation into a full-on aggressor and finish the job once and for all in his prime.

Instead, for reasons that only seemed to exist to allow for the story to take as long as they promised, he sat on his hands and let everything return to the status quo.
>>
>>14243137
>propaganda

Considering the second gen ended with the government being overthrown/purged by a hawkish leader who viewed the opposition as absolute monsters, the fact Gen 3 wasn't like something out of Starship Troopers in terms of 'FOR THE HOMELAND' still boggles my mind.
>>
File: 2el5gqs.png (749 KB, 1600x900) Image search: [Google]
2el5gqs.png
749 KB, 1600x900
>>14246711
>everything but Flit's Arc

Fardain would disagree with you Boyage-san.
>>
>>14246711
>Flit's arc
Fardain was fucking garbage m8. Also, AGE's OPs in general were quite good IMO
>>
>>14246853
Hino wanted a final boss fight and someone for kio to actually manage to save (the clone).
>>
Nothing. It's not the best Gundam, but far from the worst. The Gundam fanbase just has to bitch about everything.

The pacing is poor. Really each generation probably needed at least 25 episodes if not more. There was probably no way to secure a set up like that.

Show has great mech designs and I had a fun time watching it.
>>
>>14242467
Pacing was a mess in Gen 1 too.
>>
>>14243086
>>14242917
How do we know Second Moon was able to do that all along? Maybe the battlestations they sent to Earth before now were prototypes for the Second Moon engine and it was just impossible before Age 3.
>>
>>14247636
>mfw #

>>14249988
There were much deeper problems than just pacing, anon. I'm interested to hear what you think is below AGE when you say "far from the worst" because only SEED/Destiny is down there for me. Depending on how IBO pans out, it might manage to sneak below but that's doubtful.
>>
>>14250679
>my real face when #
Forgot pic
>>
the show is much more bearable if you remember Flint is the main character throughout the series
>>
File: that-frit.png (49 KB, 586x514) Image search: [Google]
that-frit.png
49 KB, 586x514
>vegans killed my gf
>have an annoying son
>have a spoiled bitch grandson
>>
File: sadflit.png (2 MB, 1280x721) Image search: [Google]
sadflit.png
2 MB, 1280x721
>>14250705
>>14250709
Flit was dabes for not falling into the trap of generic one-note bigot Gundam villains. Dude actually cared about everyone under his command even if some of them were useless (Anus) or insubordinate (Asemu, Kio). Really that should have been enough to get him to not genocide the vegans, but fine whatever. X-Rounder fantasy bullshit where all the ded pplz tell him to forgive himself.
>>
>>14250679
For one, I'd definitely put IBO at the very bottom.

It'd basically have to become an entirely different show with Season 2 at this point to improve in my book.
>>
File: Letmeshootthemplz.png (1 MB, 1273x713) Image search: [Google]
Letmeshootthemplz.png
1 MB, 1273x713
>>14253183
Oh just imagine how shitty it's going to be.

>Tekkadan are now military consultants for Gjallarhorn

>Mars and Jupiter start accusing them of being traitors

>Turbines turn on them and now Orga has to beat Naze in order to take down Teiwaz

>Despite taking down Nobliss, McGillis winds up becoming final boss anyway with Mika fighting him for Kudelia's hand in marriage.
>>
>>14253260
So does Iron Blooded Orphans occur before AGE or after AGE? Could it be that the fully-developed Mars colonies are the result of the anti-Mars Rays systems that the mecha databooks talk about, and the "war" was really AGE's war?
>>
>>14250671
Then they'd have gotten those engines sooner if they wernt blowing everything they had on waging a war of genocide. It still doesn't make any fucking sense.
>>
>>14253425
They only moved the huge battlestation in Gen 3 when they attacked Earth.
>>
>>14253428
That's the point they'd have been able to move the fucking thing alot sooner if they put everything into making second moon move instead of building fuckloads of mobile weapons and warships.

Oh yeah and if they did that instead they wouldent have been welcomed by a fleet of pissed off guys.
>>
>>14253260
>Tekkadan are now military consultants for Gjallarhorn

Nope. The different power blocks are forming their own militaries (And by the sound of it Teiwaz is going to be marketing their Hyakuren frame to them) separate from Gjallarhorn and Arbrau is contracting Tekkadan as military advisors.
>>
>>14250671
There was nothing to indicate that they couldn't have moved at any time. No line mentioning that they could finally move the colonies or that their had been anything preventing them from doing so. And even then, they were developing ships that could move large amounts of people, yet chose to leave their civilians in the radiation instead of returning to Earth. They didn't even bother capturing any of the habitable colonies or territory on Earth and moving their people into them. They just burned and destroyed everything in their path while leaving their civilians home to bite the dust.

Plus they had literally a century of being abandoned and another almost century of war to build the equipment to move it.
>>
>>14253474
>>14253439
Don't forget, in Gen 2 and Gen 3 they managed to illegally immigrate thousands of Vegans and war machines to the Earth.
>>
>>14253505
And all of them spies and soldiers.

Actually, that brings up another beef. If such a huge percentage of their population is dying young (Possibly even as children before they have the chance to have kids) how in the world did they build their population up enough to launch a century long war against the Earth? And sustain it once their own forces started dying when the Ef got its shit together?
>>
File: AGE Romance.jpg (688 KB, 2554x2158) Image search: [Google]
AGE Romance.jpg
688 KB, 2554x2158
>>14246711
>>14247636

I was already a Galileo Galilei fag before AGE, but man if Asu E didn't nail it.
http://www.dailymotion.com/video/xu5712_mobile-suit-gundam-age-op1-asu-eh-sub-ita-hd_shortfilms

Despite the childish appearance of the series they killed off a lot of characters.
>>
I liked gen 2, at least.
And gen 1 was just kinda generic and boring until the very last couple of episodes. I wouldn't say the show is outright bad until gen 3.
>>
>>14253688
Asu E and Sharp were my favorites.
>>
>>14246853
>Why did SID get involved in the final battle?
It's not a final boss if it doesn't have wings. I'm not even joking.
>>
>>14253688
>Despite the childish appearance of the series they killed off a lot of characters
By body count numbers, AGE is a carnage.
>>
>>14253688
>>14255222
It's a god damn bloodbath, but the problem is most characters are in it for such a short time you have no chance to develop any attachment to them, and because they have to use the simplest tropes in order to cram a story in you can who's going to die from their first appearance with almost comical ease.

The only deaths I cared about at all really were Woolf and possibly Grodek, probably because they had twice the amount of time to develop as any other character. Even then, the circumstances around Grodek's death were pretty lame (killed by the son of the first Vagan leader - who then immediately is killed by the corrupt government guys one street over - who then all get outed and removed off screen by Flit, in a single line in the last episode of part 2), and Woolf's death as the older brother character that inspires the MC with his dying words is one of the oldest cliches in mecha anime.
>>
I remember we were really hype for the 3rd Gen story. Asemu's arc ended on a pretty good bunch of episodes and then this OP

http://www.dailymotion.com/video/xu57cm_mobile-suit-gundam-age-op3-real-sub-ita-hd_shortfilms

came and it was Obari as all fuck and we were like "maybe the show can finally be saved for real!"
>>
>>14255369
>but the problem is most characters are in it for such a short time you have no chance to develop any attachment to them
Still felt bad when Derek got the short end of the stick.

Woolf's death circumstances were incredibly lame as well, the guy gets killed because Asemu is a shithead who won't listen to him and he had to whipe his shit all the time, then in one of he most retarded moment in anime history, he literally tells him to do whatever he wants because "he believes in him". Sweet Jesus, this is like taking Kamille's whole character development backwards.
>>
>>14255601

Derek?
>>
File: derek.jpg (116 KB, 1440x810) Image search: [Google]
derek.jpg
116 KB, 1440x810
>>14255788
Noticed that Vagan ships were behaving strangely during the La Gramis battle, went to check, it was a trap to fire the Digmazenon in that area. All remaining members of the Abis team are killed the next episode anyway.
>>
>>14242462
The story was originally written and developed based on it being a JRPG. This lead to pacing and character development issues as side-plots were dropped and/or compressed.
>>
>>14256250
The best part was that they released the game before the anime ended and spoiled the ending hah
>>
>>14256250
It couldn't have been a very good one.
>>
File: AGE1wears.jpg (3 MB, 2850x2489) Image search: [Google]
AGE1wears.jpg
3 MB, 2850x2489
>>14256250
It didn't help that all the best wears were left out of the anime.
>>
>>14257682
Really? Wasn't the anime planned to last for two more cours originally?
>>
>>14258302
source? I don't ever recall there being a definite series length mentioned

people were even thinking it would end at 39 episodes for a total of 3 cours back when kio arc started
>>
>>14257936
any non-SD versions?
>>
>>14258302
No, it was originally planned for 26 episodes.
>>
>>14253376
IBO is it's own universe like all AU Gundam unless directly stated otherwise.
>>
>>14258360
source?
>>
Kio Asuno. Full fuckin' stop.

Fucker's a little shit who relied on the overwhelming firepower of the AGE-3 Gundam, and get this, when he gets his ass whupped in a space battle in the EQUIPMENT SPECIFICALLY DESIGNED FOR SPACE COMBAT, he blames his defeat and impending capture on the machine, instead of his floundering about like a goddamn fish.

THEN he meets the littlest Mars Cancer Patient and goes full fucking Jesus Yamato... except somehow WORSE.

I guarantee that Gen 3 would have been far better if Asemu got together with best girl Arisa Gunhale, or hell, if Asemu became celibate or some shit, but NOPE, he stuck with that Nina Purpleton-esque bitch Romary.
>>
>>14258638

I'll never get this attitude personally. Between Asemu abandoning his family for no real reason, Einus having no role, Lu, Shanalua and Girard being wastes of time, Zeheart doing a complete 180 in characterisation and dying in seconds, the final boss being a literal who with no lines, Ezelcant essentially being forgiven and Flit not even considering his wife in the finale I'm not even sure I'd put Kio in the top 10 problems of the last third of the show, never mind being the biggest problem in the whole show.

He's was crap, but the show had far bigger issues with pacing, characterisation, connecting generations, theme, and even more intangible stuff like marketing and tying in to its game.
>>
>>14258314
I don't know about original plans, but he might be referring to the interview where Hino said he would have wanted another 26 episodes to flesh things out.
>>
>>14258660
All the dead people showing up to call Zehart a failure was pretty good at least
>>
>>14258638
Asemu is even more cancerous than Kio though.
>>
>>14258723
Because Zeheart, like Flit, is a consistent character, he's a naive idealistic who's blinded by the absolute bullshit ideal Ezelcant is trying to build but isn't fit to shoulder all the sins that would lead to it.
>>
>>14258660
I'm honestly starting to believe people less love Flit the character and more the idea of what Flit the character was going for.

There's a skeleton of an interesting character arc in there. The problem is, the nature of the time skips means many of his personality shifts feel more forced than gradual, since we just automatically jump to years after he's changed.

It also doesn't help that we see flickers of change forming and then BOOM. New gen! No need to worry about building the rest of THAT up!

Like so much of AGE, Flit is actually a really good idea on paper, but fuck does the execution not do that idea justice.
>>
>>14259153

Not really, Zeheart was a decent person in Asemu's arc and even ended it by helping Asemu defeat his own side, and then starts the third gen by helping massacre a city well before anything Ezelcant found out. And we're just supposed to see him as the good guy until that point, which is idiotic.

>>14259158

Yea, that's probably it. AGE has some neat ideas, but wastes all of them, Flit's arc included because all the really interesting stuff is either cut off short, like him becoming a less than good person, has no effect, like his purge, or just skipped over, like a lot of Flit's arc.
>>
>>14259171
Zeheart is revealed to be a zealot through AGE-2, constantly saying that he will do whatever Ezelcant asks from him evene though he's a decent human being. Through the whole beginning of AGE-3 he questions Ezelcant's motives for attacking Olivernotes.

Zeheart is two things, a good person and an Ezelcant supporter, what made his character worth taking a look at is that those two are not compatible. When he finds out that he was lied to, he confronts Ezelcant about the truth, decides to support the real cause, and crumbles under the weight of the incompatibility between his personality and his actions.
Thread replies: 75
Thread images: 11

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.